Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

iospace posted:

ALSO HAPPY BOBBY BONILA DAY EVERYONE

Hell yeah

Shinjobi posted:

I want a world series winner this season so I can proclaim they have a more legitimate win than the cheating Houston Astros.

Congrats on the tool shed by the way

Bregor posted:

Sandberg > Papi, fite me

By bWAR you are correct yet

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: eh that's not really funny

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 1, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I appreciate how from the front it looks like a visor when the roof is open

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

Before I read the caption I thought the opened/closed comparison shot was their park vs Minute Maid.

That's kind of the funny thing, it's supposedly modeled partly after Minute Maid but MMP isn't exactly the prettiest park so why would you choose it?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Why did the Rangers need a new park? I thought their park was relatively new....

I think specifically to have a retractable roof

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ccubed posted:

Can someone with photoshop skill put Bartolo Colon's face on this Simpsons meme:

Bartolo is now a svelte boy I'll have you know

e: I think? Can't find it, but I think earlier in the offseason someone posted a gym photo of him looking skinny... well skinnier

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I worked in a deli in college and Bob Wickman looked almost identical to a guy I worked with

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Let me tell you about trying to get someone to not put the nice, expensive chef's knife in the dishwasher standing point down so the tip breaks off

Better than the story a former SAS baseball goon poster told me about a former roommate who decided to soak their extremely well seasoned cast iron in soapy water over a weekend

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

Edgar's career OPS is almost 100 points higher than Murray's.

Murray's career WAR in 21 seasons is 0.3 higher than Edgar's over 18 seasons.

So you're saying it's higher :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I want to see Maddon say it's him or me about Trout

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Which doesn't protect him, god that makes me so upset that his teammates don't care

Slimy Hog posted:

Why isn't anyone else?

Good loving question

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nooooo my big boi is pure :smith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just because the season hasn't started doesn't mean we're not in the part of year where he balloons up

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29410636/yankees-masahiro-tanaka-struck-head-line-drive-training-camp

quote:

"Masa had concussion-like symptoms that have since dissipated. He went through a battery of tests at the hospital; everything checked out well," Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. "He had a CT scan, and it's negative. He's still there. They're going to keep them for a couple more hours just to be safe, but we expect him to be released this evening. I would say right now he's doing well."

After Boone addressed the media at the end of the workout, the Yankees released a statement that said Tanaka had been released from the hospital.

Sounds like he got lucky, that looked brutal

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

In addition to my big boi Yordan not being with the team for "undisclosed" reasons, Jose Urquidy is also not with the team for also "undisclosed" reasons

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I still hate that Baron Frost never made the majors

I was so ready for him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

Don't get me wrong, Roy Oswalt's a nice guy, I like him just fine
But he's a mouth breather

https://twitter.com/royoswalt44net/status/1279859271161741312

God damnit Roy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imagine if Bo Bichette were a Yankee then try defending the policy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Don Mattingly was famously fined a ton and removed from the lineup for defying it.

I told you to trim those sideburns!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1280513114153390087

LOL Joe West. He's exactly what you would expect him to be.

Cowboy Joe is the master of bad calls

e: welp obviously I was going to be far from the first to make the joke

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

this is super cool but I wish it didn't have that fisheye lens or whatever it is on it that makes the pitcher look like he's half a mile away

The fisheye lens is the only way to get the entire field in view I assume, otherwise yeah agreed

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Judging fly balls off of the bat through the fisheye lens would be interesting. Everything looks like a bomb, then it switches to the field view and it's a harmless popout to shallow left

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I decided to disown my team the Astros.

Cheating to win the World Series? Ok. I can forgive that. Yankees have done it I'm sure more than once and Yanks fans can sleep at night. Red Sox were being investigated for the same thing.

But deflecting? Refusing to accept responsibility? "Everyone did it?" The half rear end apologies? Manfred's "it's a piece of metal"? The "if everyone is going to hate us lets act like bad guys!! Yeah we cheated!"? The arrogance of the fanbase that decided it was better to act like the Astros did nothing wrong? When I tried to express my disappointment to other Astros fan I was met with a wall of cultist behavior that said if I were "real" fan I'd support them no matter what.

After cheering for them playing bad season after season for years when no one believed in them, suffering through endless "Lastros" talk and loving them despite that, and grow to become the team they are today, and win a World Series for our city just a few weeks after Hell came to visit, only for all of this to happen?

I've never needed baseball more than I've needed it now. Between the stress of Covid, the passing of my father, and more. It's just a bad year. And yet, despite that, as the weeks approach, I wasn't excited for baseball to come back. I ended up watching an Astros spring training vid from this year to try to hype myself up for the season and ended up actively rooting against the Astros. I dislike the players, I dislike the fans, I dislike the front office, and everything about them now. It's like I was blind but now I can see 20/20 and I loathe them. I realized that the only way I can continue watching baseball is if I disown the Astros. Astros or baseball. One had to go. I chose baseball.

I donated all of my Astros gear to charity. The rest I threw in the trash.

I know this sounds super whiny but I'm surrounded by a sea of Astros cultists and have had to bottle in my emotions for months. I have never in my life "broken up" with a sports team. I have rooted for the Rockets and the Astros;etc since I was a child. I'm far from a bandwagon fan. This is the first time I have ever changed teams. I don't know why I'm like this. It's a big rear end corporation that rakes in hundreds of millions of dollars and they won't miss my money yet this still hurts all the same.

______________/

Good av/post combo

Except the part about your father, very sorry about your father :( Wouldn't make an avatar comment about something like that

Shinjobi posted:

Anyway, as a fan you kinda have the luxury of the final say in who/what you root for. As a child I rooted for the Astros. As an adult I root for the Rangers. I have been miserable most of my life. Baseball is great.

Not sure how old you are but the Astros ruled to cheer for in the 90s even if they always let the city down in the playoffs

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 11, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poutine sounds bad but I've never had it and would be willing to at least try it which is more than I can say for that british thing where they mash peas and put it on fries

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

N: https://mobile.twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1278347702804402178

V:40,000+ copies of Big Dick Nick will save this season

Marlins gonna have a competitive edge

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Growing up, I don't even recall seeing the Astros on tv much. After the Oilers left our household was a basketball household and basketball was the sport I grew up with. My friends and I would go to Astros games occasionally but I had no idea how to follow them.

I didn't become a baseball fan for real until college when I watched the anime Major. Then I started following the Astros. I loved that anime so much it made baseball my favorite sport. I still have a riveting passion for baseball manga and anime.

Speaking of Major, I've been watching Major 2nd season 2 finally after years of waiting.

They used to show a lot of Astros games on that Star network that most people didn't know existed, I think it was channel 52 or something over the air. It's been so long that I don't remember exactly though

Basketball was easy to watch because it was always on one of the major local networks. I want to say UPN?

Going to Astros games in the 90s SUCKED because the parking lot at the Astrodome was a nightmare to get in and out of and then you sit on Kirby for an hour. Basically the same experience as going to a Texans game now unless you use the light rail

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’ve always been partial to Zambrano vs the Gatorade machine.

I'm partial to Julian Tavarez breaking his hand punching a fire extinguisher or whatever it was during a playoff game then getting fined for it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man remember when players gave a poo poo about the ASG

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Stanton better take him for a nice dinner

God drat I can't imagine what was going through Stanton's mind when it happened

Sydin posted:

So apparently assuming baseball does go ahead this year and they can play the full 60 games (big "if" obviously) players with vesting options can still technically earn them:

So Kenta might actually not get hosed

e: or is that just options and not incentives

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 14, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is the good poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I hope Dee gets through okay. He's one of my favorite I-know-he's-not-actually-any-good players of right now.

I root for Dee despite being a fan of a division rival. His ability to overcome all the poo poo life gave him is admirable

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

If players actully wanted to bring up the "middle class" and lower among their ranks, they could fight for a higher minimum, shorter service time before free agency, a better alternative to arbitration, etc etc. All these things could be fought for within a system that lacks a salary floor & cap.

I could start farting rainbows too. The owners will never agree to changing minimums or service times unless players concede to a salary cap

Which at this point maybe they should? The tax is a de facto cap at this point anyway with even the wealthy teams treating it that way

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Wait, we're a WEEK away from baseball?????

Theoretically

Or a week away from the season being called off

bawfuls posted:

The players could and should fight for all those things if they're willing to flex their labor power.

We can quibble about how prepared they are to do this right now but that doesn't mean they should give up a huge concession like a real salary cap. And it would still be a huge concession even with the defacto cap in place now.

Could be a soft cap like the NBA :shrug: And yeah it would be a huge concession, one that they would never get back, so the owners would have to make it worth it. Like cutting down arb years to 4, or even 3. Higher starting salaries pre-arb. An arbitration process regarding teams using bad faith tactics to keep players from reaching incentives. Things like that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:chloe:

Dude, just ignore it if it bothers you that much

e: and don't bring Cowboy Bebop into this jeez

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pungry posted:

The Mariners had a scrimmage against themselves today where they put some front office dude in the lineup at left field, and he did fine in his one play in the OF. He did strike out in his at-bat, but I'm sure you'd be just as good as he was.

If he stood in the box against MLB pitching without getting embarrassed by a curveball that makes him dive into the dirt before dropping into the zone, respect

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I've always been curious, is it common to own a Texas state belt buckle or is that a tv lie like how all New Yorkers are mobbed up or something?

I've been to multiple mob weddings, funerals, and general celebrations.

I imagine it's common in some areas but Houston isn't one of them. That's not to say you don't see it at all

Sorry the qanon guy killed your uncle or cousin or whatever :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

1) that waggle loving rules
2) he made contact which is more than I could do

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If I buy you both PMs will you take this to them

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jupiter Jazz posted:

And give Lowtax money?!