Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Slimy Hog posted:

This is interesting if you have an Athletic subscription:
https://theathletic.com/1905651/2020/07/02/prohibition-baseball-inside-the-biggest-all-star-game-no-one-watched/

If you don't the summary is that a bunch of big leaguers played secret baseball during the COVID shutdown at a high school in Florida.

Reminds me of the strike in 95. I was at Bucky Dent Baseball School in Fl. and a number of major leaguers were around to keep in shape. Jose Rijo throwing a bullpen around the corner from mine or watching Mike Piazza and Andres Gallaraga getting loose on the field next to ours was a stark reminder of how ridiculously talented professional athletes are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

So this is being spun as good news but am I crazy for seeing an entire team and coaching staff's worth of positives on Day 1 and figuring we're not even gonna make it to opening day?

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/1279154627003506689?s=20

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

The entire US stance on COVID is that anything less than 100% infection rates is good, actually, so of course they're spinning this as great news.

It's worth remembering that if a single KBO player tests positive they shut down the entire league for at least three weeks. It's all just emblematic of the response on a national level.

Yeah, I'm not the only one thinking this is bad news, the MLB owned and operated MLB Network just showed the tweet for a few seconds and immediately jumped to BP footage.

EDIT: Yup, great start everyone!

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1279161470773628928?s=20

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Add Tommy Pham to the list.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/tommy-pham-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

After a few months of staying the gently caress at home I'm not casting the first stone there.

The good news keep coming!

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1279545939691220993?s=20

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

At least I got to see the Cubs play at Wrigley this year.

https://twitter.com/WatchMarquee/status/1279543770732810240?s=20

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

So in the American Association, which is the only Indy Ball league to play this year in the US, there has already been a game cancelled due to a player testing positive. I doubt it's going to get much better from here.

Damnit, now I'm mad all over again AAA did away with the American Association in the 90's and now you have noted west-coast powerhouses like Memphis, Omaha, and Iowa in the Pacific Coast League.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The games without fans are going to be really weird to watch.

Sumo did a tournament without fans in March and while it was weird, it was interesting to be able to hear all the stuff that's usually covered by crowd noise. Base coaches, poo poo talking from the dugout, not poo poo talking from the dugout. I'm looking forward to it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

slave to my cravings posted:

Since some memorable games are being posted I’ll add some.

1989 was the year that taught me that sports hurt, but there were some really good times, like Greg Maddux vs. El Presidente Dennis Martinez in Montreal with a magic number of 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFSMAzr5vI

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

All those people who want A-rod to buy the team are backing the wrong horse. Hope they don't get too lathered up about it, because the Mets with Cohenbux will be hot-to-trot.

You're half right.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Gone now but I assume it was his post about how in "Summer Camp" in South Bend he's making $18 a day, and has to give 8 of that to the clubhouse attendant for food.

MLB Owners suck rear end and I hope this new MLBPA negotiator takes them for everything they're worth next winter.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

MerklesBoner posted:

Looking it up, Carl “The Meal Ticket” Hubbell threw out the 1st pitch—50 years from his ’34 all-star appearance when he struck out five HOFers in a row, including Ruth and Gerhig—and it was a screwball! :swoon:

If you watch the video (he's about 20 minutes in) you can see that his arm literally couldn't straighten out. Best he could do was about a 20 degree angle, thanks to the screwball.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Poque posted:

For what it's worth this is already done through the revenue sharing process and is rigorously defined through MLB lawyers and auditing firms on a yearly basis. It's hell.

But the obvious difference is opening your books to other teams/owners vs opening your books to MLBPA, which they definitely don't want to do.

On one hand, I'd be ok with every 4-5 years the big fight being over what exactly is "Baseball revenue" or "How much of that revenue are we allowed to hide via RSN ownership?" vs a Strike/Lockout situation. On the other? gently caress the owners, let's bring back the reanimated corpse of Marvin Miller to finish the fight coming off 2 seasons with none of the fans, but all of the debt service.

Hope you're high enough tier the Cubs are keeping you safe. Give us a heads up if you're gonna get into one of those scrimmages!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

You know at some point MLB tried to figure out if there were enough stadiums in Florida to just run it all there.

And Arizona, with Texas as a backup! Several places widely known for solid leadership and a handle on the virus.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Nobody likes Buffalo.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

The White Sox announcers are doing every game from Guaranteed Rate field, regardless of where the game is being played. Is this a standard thing or just something only they are doing?

It's leaguewide. The home video feed will go to both teams and they'll do graphics and pbp from home. You're gonna see a lot more closeups of opposing teams this year.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 20, 2020

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The free MLB.tv thing from T-Mobile is available now fyi

Also a free year of The Athletic for new accounts (I guess I just sign up for another one?)

Yeah, sucks that if you're already a subscriber you don't even get an extension starting today. As a Sprint person moving over the T-Mobile Tuesdays are pretty meh.

FYI, if you're sharing MLB.TV accounts make sure you're signed into a different account if you're going to claim it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Hand Row posted:

I wondered where all the Cubs relievers went as it’s Kimbrel and ? now. Not a good start for the cheapass no name bullpen. Hendricks is going to have to go the distance.

As you know the Cubs have been so good over the last few years Theo and Co. decided to take three off-seasons off AND sign David Descalso to try to make things even.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Jason Heyward is going to become the most valuable hitter in baseball come to the 10th inning.

His guaranteed weak ground ball to second will put the winning run on 3rd for a real hitter to drive in.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

Michael Kopech is divorcing his pregnant wife

Real John Lackey vibes there

People are taking that Tom Brady training plan WAY too seriously.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn’t it come out later on that Bobby Thompson knew what pitch was coming when he hit that famous home run in ‘51?

Allegedly they were relaying signs to the bullpen that would signal the pitch.

Even that wasn't an uncommon occurrence back in the day, there's no shortage of stories of binoculars in scoreboards, and even crude telegraph style setups with wired plates buried in the 3rd base coaching box that would buzz the pitch. Then there were the more ingenious solutions- Cubs 3B and later manager Stan Hack was such a fan favorite the team held a "Smile with Stan Hack Day" and gave out small hand mirrors to all the ladies at the park that day. Who could have guessed that the entirety of the bleachers, including what would now be considered the batters eye, would shine those mirrors at opposing hitters?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

I wonder what would've happened if the players had just refused to report to camp. Wonder if Manfred would've imposed a season anyway, and gone to court to compel them to play, or what.

The impression I got was that a fair number of owners would have celebrated getting a leg up on CBA negotiations. That same group will probably do everything in their power to avoid canceling the season in the hopes players will walk.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

The lure of St. Louis nightlife was too much temptation.

In this, the year of chaosball, is it too much to ask that if someone is going to get the ‘rona have it be from like a Pizza Ranch or Shoney’s?

Imo’s doesn’t count since it’s not food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Poque posted:

one of my least favorite coworkers recently departed to take a job with the Astros :haw:

Who did they hit?