Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Last month's thread.

Somebody Awful posted:

A new year and new decade are upon us. May they be less lovely than the last.

It's been a real lovely year so far, both for Something Awful and for everyone else. But somehow we made it to the halfway mark and we're still here doing our thing. And so is Gunbroker dot com, where the spam flows eternal!

I got this one four times in one day posted:

Hey,

Another massive giveaway is here and any gun lover will not want to miss out on this one!

We decided to increase the odds for this one by limiting the number of entrants.

And you won a chance to win!

Click Here To Confirm Your Entry

I don’t want to reveal the prize here since if this email does not reach you in time you spot will go to the next in line.

But I can only give you 30 minutes to confirm your spot.

Hurry Confirm Your Spot Now

Again congrats on being chosen to enter this contest not many will for this one and If you win the grand prize you're going to be beyond excited!

Good luck,

Sign Off

Emphasis original posted:

This Springfield Hellcat is…

The newest, quickest, most powerful concealed carry on the market.

You have a chance to enter to win it today RIGHT HERE

ENTER HERE NOW

HELLCAT

PLUS A LIMITED CONTEST BONUS: After you sign in here you will see the brand new survival tool that…

… will replace all survival tools in the coming months, certainly all top line flashlights.

They’ll all be at a MASSIVE DISCOUNT, if any are left, so move fast by entering below

ENTER HERE NOW

HELLCAT

But can it run Crysis posted:

This will soon replace all flashlights - it’s just better.

THE NOVA

Not only does it light fires in any weather, shines as bright as a $199 stream light, it NEVER loses charge, and harnesses the power of 4 other survival tools.

MOST IMPORTANTLY FOR YOU: Today it’s buy 1 get 1 FREE. (On top of an already insane discount you’ll see here.)

You see, the Nova P50 creator wants to get this into as many hands as he can, because he is a survivalist himself, and believes it fully prepares people for every crisis and survival situation.

It saves lives.

WANT PROOF HE FEELS THAT WAYTake a peek at his guarantee on the next page towards the bottom.

Here’s the summary:

“if you don’t love it, if it doesn’t replace your flashlight, if you don’t feel it’s your best survival tool, you’ll get an immediate refund, and you can still KEEP IT.”

That’s a guy who believes in his product.

JUST 1 WARNING: He just received a small batch of this brand new model, and when they are gone, they are gone for about 3 months. (They take a while to build)

Lock up your 2 NOVA P50’s Here Before It’s Too Late.
THE NOVA
THE NOVA
THE NOVA
THE NOVA

Who even clicks on these things, people what donate their retirement funds to starving royals in Africa? I suppose sending junk email is cheap enough that it doesn't matter.

PS: look at these beer dice the warlord king of Detroit put together.

Shima Honnou posted:

Hey.

Look at this. I did this.

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dice chat best chat. Paging twodots to.......weigh in........on die fairness.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

I'd go find my calipers but I know the batteries are dead

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I would like some dice made in the D.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Happy Bobby Bonilla day!

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

WTB Shima branded math rocks

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I don't normally have much of an opinion on birbs, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKEPkDvfyz0

My cat (adopted formerly stray) cat is scampering around my apartment trying to find the noisy thing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I am so loving happy about a Grandpa Email theme.

I've been thinking about an "Awful Advertising" thread for a while now, including gun mags, gun emails, and websites.

Let me just dip into my satchel of awful emails!

(P. S. Those dice are loving rad.)

--------------------------------------------------------

Email from FIREARMS UPGRADES

"Upgrade Your Gear, Not Your Budget"
Tactical USA is sending you a package and we have to warn you…

There’s something razor-sharp inside.

They're hooking you up with a free Raptor Claw Karambit Knife…

Which is a $49 knife with a 5-star rating.

It’s packaged and ready to send to you.

Just enter the US mailing address where you would like to receive your free Raptor Claw Karambit Knife and flip a few bucks for shipping:

Enter US Mailing Address Here
Note: There are only 500 to giveaway as a Christmas promotions so make sure you don’t wait too long before confirming…

2.5" Black Stainless Razor-Steel
Blade
5.25" Karambit Black Handle
Finger-Ring Grip (...makes it
impossible to drop.)
Lightning-Fast Spring- Assisted Opening and Close
Includes Pocket Clip

Yes, I accept! Send my free Raptor Claw Karambit Knife!

Once all 500 knives get claimed this giveaway will end…

So if you want a Raptor Claw Karambit Knife for free make sure to claim one ASAP.

~Ranger Dan

P.S. And please be careful when it arrives. The blade is very sharp.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

boxen posted:

I don't normally have much of an opinion on birbs, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKEPkDvfyz0

My cat (adopted formerly stray) cat is scampering around my apartment trying to find the noisy thing.

Male cockatiels are always, every day, every moment trying to impress everyone around them with weirdly well sung tunes.

I've always had females, who are always trying to find a nest and HISS.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Captain Log posted:

Male cockatiels are always, every day, every moment trying to impress everyone around them with weirdly well sung tunes.

I've always had females, who are always trying to find a nest and HISS.

Save it bird. When I met you, you didn't have a nest to hiss in.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

stealie72 posted:

But did you test them to ensure randomness?

I missed this dice meltdown thread somehow. Or the explanation of it. I look forward to Cyrano retrieving quotes from it along with a summary being given.

Edit: Also OP please link to previous month's thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3925799

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 1, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

I missed this dice meltdown thread somehow. Or the explanation of it. I look forward to Cyrano retrieving quotes from it along with a summary being given.

Edit: Also OP please link to previous month's thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3925799

In case we don't get the opportunity, since that might screw with that guy's job it could never come up again...

twodot asked guy worked at dice company how fair their dice were.

Guy said their mathmaticaly perfectly fair, but they do actually sell cheater dice that have a non-fair distribution of numbers.

twodot rants a while about how that isn't fair, he wants to know how they actually test that the dice themselves roll out evenly. He resists every single attempt at explaining to him how no one is going to sit there are roll dice 100,000 times to get an indication (wouldn't even be proof) of fairness.

It all rolls off his back like water on a duck. He suggests you can use calipers to measure the dimensions of dice and that would prove fairness.

OP says "We just toss the ones that are obviously defective"

twodot loses it about "bait and switch"

It was all pretty fuckin great.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 2, 2020

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

BeAuMaN posted:

Also OP please link to previous month's thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3925799

Oops! Fixed.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Oh gently caress that sounds hilarious.

And thanks Somebody Awful!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

I remember that dice thread and hoo boy it was something.

Also buying Oberndorfs will have to wait because I just ordered a couple of Childers AK receivers.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Oh, looks like I got mail from Canada! Two silver Moroccan coins from 1953! The 100 and 200 franc coins, to be exact -

But what is this on the obverse?

ZOOM ENHANCE!!!

See the bottom left of the pentagram? See the little print that says, "ESSAI?"

That means these were test coins, only sold with a mint set. However, they decided not to produce the mint sets, but they still used the examples and produced a normal run of the coins. Essai is French for test, trial, or example.

There are less than 1,100 of these coins in existence. Considering they are silver and from an obscure run of coins, most of them are thought to be melted.

I now have one of the 1,100 examples. These are my third and fourth "ESSAI" coins from the French Moroccan series. I think there are eight, but I've had to order a book, in French, to figure it out for sure. Hooray for research!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Captain Log posted:

Oh, looks like I got mail from Canada! Two silver Moroccan coins from 1953! The 100 and 200 franc coins, to be exact -

But what is this on the obverse?

ZOOM ENHANCE!!!

See the bottom left of the pentagram? See the little print that says, "ESSAI?"

That means these were test coins, only sold with a mint set. However, they decided not to produce the mint sets, but they still used the examples and produced a normal run of the coins. Essai is French for test, trial, or example.

There are less than 1,100 of these coins in existence. Considering they are silver and from an obscure run of coins, most of them are thought to be melted.

I now have one of the 1,100 examples. These are my third and fourth "ESSAI" coins from the French Moroccan series. I think there are eight, but I've had to order a book, in French, to figure it out for sure. Hooray for research!

If you end up buying all of the remaining examples of those coins, do they become more or less valuable to other collectors?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Thats pretty cool! I don't know anything about coins, but thanks for reminding me - I came across this in a drawer the other day and thought "isn't there someone in one of the threads I follow who knows those french moroccan coins?. I'm sure it's worthless so I'm going to use it for the occasional scratch-off lotto ticket.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

poeticoddity posted:

If you end up buying all of the remaining examples of those coins, do they become more or less valuable to other collectors?

Right now, these go at about $120 a pop. But these are ungraded. Graded examples can go way higher.

I could never track them all down. Ever. Most collectors don’t know how many survived, too. But the graded ones are out there and crazy expensive.

(I did better at that price by obsessively checking international listings.)

Edit - Nonesuch, post a pic!!!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Edit - Nonesuch, post a pic!!!

There should be two in my first post, did the forums eat them

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

There should be two in my first post, did the forums eat them

I got it.

That is one of my favorites! It is a 1921 1 Franc coin from when they moved off emergency WWI currency to French (read - occupation) currency. That was the first year of coins and they had a 25 and 50 centime coins with a 1 franc as the largest coin denomination. They next minted in 1924, but that one is a 1921.

It’s a wonderful coin, but not silver. They sell for about five bucks.

That is a seriously cool coin. I started with the 50 centimes coin from a random coin pick.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Pillbug

Thanks for the info! I'm sure it will pay it's value in $1 ticket redemptions eventually

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Thanks for the info! I'm sure it will pay it's value in $1 ticket redemptions eventually

My 50 centime one was my lucky coin for years before I took the time to look up what it was. Now...I have a lot.

These are my extras -

I don't consider them part of my collection, so I save them for "add on" gifts.

Oh, I did have a graded coin out that TFR might appreciate. The US Mint makes a lot of money doing commemorative coins and did some WWI ones for the hundred year anniversary. This one is arguably the highest grade a coin can get. With that said, the mint was making these to be high grade, so it isn't as special as a coin in the wild getting some insane mint state.

But, this is a legit coin graded by a legit third party grading service. They don't all hit this grade, many landing at 68 or 69. Anything 65 or higher is being graded under higher microscope powers. 70 means the coin is perfect under a 5x scope.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Quoting here in case anyone missed it:

Pick posted:

There are questions in QCS about Cyrano's tenure as a moderator/administrator. If you're not a regular QCS poster, your input might be welcomed there whatever it might be.

Here's the thread in question.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Good lord that was a bad post to support.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>

College Slice

I ain't about to post in QCS and I doubt it makes much difference to them but I'm literally Muslim and Cyrano has not only personally helped me multiple times through the years he's also basically offered to employ non-goon Muslim friends of mine who can't find anything in academia post-graduation.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

It's a bunch of whiners basically saying he didn't do enough and quoting things out of context. Sure he messed up in not hitting harder, but people are trying to make it out like cyrano explicitly endorsed the views in that post when it was just supporting pseudo-effort posting, which would be evident to anyone who read more of the thread than the excerpts in the QCS thread. Of course, people have also said "mods knew" about that, but as far as what's public, that's how I read it. I also have no real opinion on his adminning because I don't obsessively refresh the lepers colony

This definitely wasn't also just discussed in the now-locked "future of sa" thread.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

His post wasn't in support of Bill's views, it was in support of anything but drive by shitposting. He was trying to create an atmosphere where people would engage in each other over politics instead of flaming each other, and hoping that someone could change the minds of idiots like PCOS Bill.

I can't loving believe that a bunch of idiots from FYAD and QCS are gonna take down our mod. It's bullshit.

If anyone here wants Cyrano to stay here, get your rear end over to that thread.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

THERE'S FASCISM IN MY GIANT ROBOT ANIMES

that pcos bill post was awful and cyrano hosed up by responding the way he did, but also like 90% of the people posting in that thread are fyad hangers-on so lmao if you think its even remotely in good faith

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I mean that's what QCS is, helldump for mods

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

I mean that's what QCS is, helldump for mods

its just especially funny to me that the people posting high-minded stuff about how this is unacceptable behavior and cyrano should step down are the same people who, until like 8 months ago, based their entire sa identity around posting in the forums clubhouse where you can say the N word without getting yelled at

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, the problem is that it's sounding likely that he will be removed over this. And that's bad for TFR and bad for the forums. He made a mistake, but it wasn't a racist mistake, it was a naive mistake.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Cyrano has always said how he engaged PCOS was his biggest mistake as a new mod.

There are people in that QCS thread honestly saying, “If it would disqualify you from public office, it should disqualify you from modding.” Even if we take that asinine statement as true, have they seen what people in office get away with on a daily basis?

I’ll be the first to admit I probably said some lovely things over the years. But TFR, specifically some people still posting, have helped me get to a better place with some ignorant poo poo I’ve said.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

Yeah, the problem is that it's sounding likely that he will be removed over this. And that's bad for TFR and bad for the forums. He made a mistake, but it wasn't a racist mistake, it was a naive mistake.

You’ve got to be making GBS threads me. This is getting traction?

Good loving luck finding a replacement for that no pay, high stress job.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Log posted:

There are people in that QCS thread honestly saying, “If it would disqualify you from public office, it should disqualify you from modding.” Even if we take that asinine statement as true, have they seen what people in office get away with on a daily basis?

You now must be a natural born US citizen to be a mod

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Good loving luck finding a replacement for that no pay, high stress job.

I think the goal is to not have a replacement

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

I think the goal is to not have a replacement

yeah its p. obviously a matter of sandbox shitters trying to get retribution for their own forum being nuked off the site, I do not believe any of them actually care for a second.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

That being said, some of those photoshops are pretty good

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

yeah its p. obviously a matter of sandbox shitters trying to get retribution for their own forum being nuked off the site, I do not believe any of them actually care for a second.

That absolutely is the case

The only reason that thread exists is because a pissbaby was combing Cyrano's post history looking for a gotcha after his name came up in the Reconciliation thread. He was one of the "big" proponents of deleting FYAD in the mod forum leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I may not be as cute as the other girls, but I'm the best at arm wrestling!

Look I realize you guys aren't gonna take me at my word but literally just look at postcounts to see if someone was an fyad regular. Posting in fyad made your postcount go down, anyone who frequented there has a negative post count.