Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Any news on if funnyplaying is going to release a new update to the laminated GBC screen? I already have one and they are AMAZING, but I wanted to know before I did the mods for my kids. I was thinking maybe they'd release a brighter version or one with the Color logo led being mixed colors like it was on the original GBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Any news on if funnyplaying is going to release a new update to the laminated GBC screen? I already have one and they are AMAZING, but I wanted to know before I did the mods for my kids. I was thinking maybe they'd release a brighter version or one with the Color logo led being mixed colors like it was on the original GBC.

yeah im going to order one of their screens and if there's any new options coming soon i will wait for those. i saw they had a cool glow-in-the-dark custom shell on their website that i think i might use when i mod mine

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://funnyplaying.com/products/gbc-retro-pixel-ips-lcd-kit-1?variant=39750649380925 i'm wondering what this "2.5D" kit is? the description doesn't say anything about it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

https://funnyplaying.com/products/gbc-retro-pixel-ips-lcd-kit-1?variant=39750649380925 i'm wondering what this "2.5D" kit is? the description doesn't say anything about it

OH wow, amazing catch. I wonder if there's some way to find out about it without buying one blindly.

Also it's cheaper than the other kits for some reason and there's only one color so there must be a pretty big difference with the 2.5D.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 17, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

OH wow, amazing catch. I wonder if there's some way to find out about it without buying one blindly.

Also it's cheaper than the other kits for some reason and there's only one color so there must be a pretty big difference with the 2.5D.

i emailed them to ask, apparently it's just a slightly raised 2.0 screen with soft edges

i'm still on the fence on how to mod my GBC. boxypixel has shells for the funnyplaying 2.0 screen, having a rechargeable GBC would be cool and aluminum looks really nice but maybe just a regular plastic funnyplaying shell + screen is both cheaper and easier to install

i'm not a huge fan of the color choices for funnyplaying shells though, the opaque shells are just weird colors like baby blue and orange, i'd really like teal or something

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

i emailed them to ask, apparently it's just a slightly raised 2.0 screen with soft edges

i'm still on the fence on how to mod my GBC. boxypixel has shells for the funnyplaying 2.0 screen, having a rechargeable GBC would be cool and aluminum looks really nice but maybe just a regular plastic funnyplaying shell + screen is both cheaper and easier to install

i'm not a huge fan of the color choices for funnyplaying shells though, the opaque shells are just weird colors like baby blue and orange, i'd really like teal or something

Yeah it sucks there's no OG purple color. I got the purple one but it looks nothing like the original.

I had the BennVenn screen in my GBC and the Funnyplaying one is so much better that I don't even know what to do with the old one. It's such an incredible mod.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I知 glad I saw this thread, I had been wondering which screen to go with for my GBC. I did the LOCA install of a front light years ago and it was terrible. I even did it multiple times to really get the install down and it was just never worth it. Ironically, I found that the cheapest shittiest LOCA I could find usually ended up with way better clarity than the expensive stuff that handheld legend used to push. Sounds like funnyplaying is the screen kit for me.

Another question - I have backlight kits for the original screen in my Pocket and DMG that I知 really happy with but I知 curious about the GBA screens. I have an AGS-101 screen in mine that I did years ago - like back when you had to buy the ribbon cables through a purchasing agent off of Alibaba. Has anyone here seen the newer GBA screen kits side by side with the 101 screen? I知 sure it痴 better but I知 wondering how worth it the change is. I知 perfectly happy with the 101 screen and I知 not sure if the GBA kits have any refresh rate issues or anything like that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i received and installed funnyplaying ips 2.0, a funnyplaying replacement speaker and a glow in the dark shell, i kept the stock buttons:

the glow in the dark effect obviously looks a bit better irl than in this picture, handy for those nightly sessions

don't actually own any gbc games yet, everdrive is still in the post, but looks really good so far. i learned a few things about soldering while doing this, i was really struggling to connect the start/select wires on the motherboard because the contacts are so tiny, so i used my smallest solder tip, but couldnt get a droplet to adhere to the contacts. when i switched to a slightly larger tip, it was suddenly easy. everything seems to work perfectly and i'm happy with the job i did

once my ED clone arrives i'll be trying out a bunch of actual GBC games

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

thing i dont like: on this translucent case the IPS has a bit sticking out the bottom of the enameled display, it looks a bit like the gameboy didnt tuck his shirt in

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Let's see Paul Allen's Gameboy.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Let's see Paul Allen's Gameboy.

Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh, my God. It even has a watermark.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mode 7 posted:

Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh, my God. It even has a watermark.

That's a backlit logo, and the shell is something called Clear Luminous Blue

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

do gameboy everdrives draw a lot of power? i thought i'd fully charged a pair of batteries but they seemed to run out pretty quickly on my gbc with a chinese everdrive

it'd be cool if i could mod this gameboy with a lithium battery USB charge mod or something, but those seem to not have a lot of choice yet and require drilling into the case and desoldering stuff on the MB and i'd rather not do that just yet

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

do gameboy everdrives draw a lot of power? i thought i'd fully charged a pair of batteries but they seemed to run out pretty quickly on my gbc with a chinese everdrive

it'd be cool if i could mod this gameboy with a lithium battery USB charge mod or something, but those seem to not have a lot of choice yet and require drilling into the case and desoldering stuff on the MB and i'd rather not do that just yet

Yeah, they draw a decent amount more power than a standard cartridge. I don't know if there are any GBC solutions, but GBASP has a new better battery that should help with the issue.
https://stoneagegamer.com/megabat800-game-boy-advance-sp-high-capacity-battery.html

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

That's a backlit logo, and the shell is something called Clear Luminous Blue

Make sure to turn on the pixel grid pattern thing. The first two or three are horrible but the one right before it goes back to normal is the best, it honestly looks better than my $300 Analog Pocket does or whatever I paid for that thing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have that screen mod with a genuine GBC Everdrive and the battery life seems pretty good to me. And I have a huge speaker amp installed too. I'd definitely say I get a good 6 hours of it using Eneloops.

I believe the knockoff EDs are quite a bit worst with battery life iirc

Make sure to turn on the pixel grid pattern thing. The first two or three are horrible but the one right before it goes back to normal is the best, it honestly looks better than my $300 Analog Pocket does or whatever I paid for that thing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i put it on the pixel grid setting and never changed it since. my everdrive is a knockoff and might be a battery hog, it's basically fine but i do need to switch batteries fairly often. i bought it when it looked like krikkz might not be making any new ones anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

is there a definitive upgrade for the (wide) GBA yet, like funnyplaying's gbc kit? their gba set doesn't seem quite as well made