Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Since the actual portability doesn't matter to me anymore, part of me wants to make a jumbo screen at the native resolution. 23,040 LEDs each maybe 0.2" for a 3' screen hight. But it sounds tricky and expensive and I have a bunch of half-finished projects to get through first, so I'll just put this out there in case someone is more knowledgeable and motivated than I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It'd look loving tiny because the pixel density is way higher, so it needs scaled up. There isn't much call for GBA resolution screens so I doubt they're even made anymore, the replacement panels are, as far as I've heard, low end phone panels being repurposed. The game resolution is still the same since that's all that's being rendered, the pixels are just being multiplied so as to match the size of the pixels on the original screen.

Of the ones mlig covered, the one that had a high enough resolution to leave a gap between "pixels" was the most interesting as I feel it's a very distinct part of the Gameboy look.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I do agree with this. I find they are less "authentic" than the AGS-101 screen, however it's still unmistakably real Game Boy hardware in terms of the system feel. I think there room for these screens if you're willing to accept and explore a different kind of experience with them.

If so, they're surprisingly good for "low end".

Low end as a modifier to phone, not the panel itself. I don't think anyone is putting 1440 oleds in Gameboys (yet).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I know it's not exactly the same thing but there's tons of 320x240 IPS screens out there; I have one on my RG350P. And googling for a bit there's a ton of 240p OLED screens out there; even super small quantities just for hobbyists.

That's still 2x the resolution of the GBA, and 3&1/3x the GB/C. To get integer scaling you need both dimensions to be an integer multiple of the original, or croppable to such within the viewport. I suppose you could use a higher res screen with identical pixel density to recreate the original screen (99.46 gba, 92.78 GBC), but I don't think you'd be able to fit it in an original shell.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If you give up on it I'll pick it up off you. I don't know what I'd do with it but I spent my TrumpBucks on a soldering setup and a dremel so everything potentially salvageable looks like raw material to me right now.

I don't know anything about the AliExpress screens, but considering china ordering generally, it's probably the same part you'd get elsewhere, but if funnyplaying has been investing into improved ribbon cables there's some chance it lacks whatever improvements / fixes those have.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If you're willing to forgo the original shell, are there any options for affixing a larger screen to an original gba motherboard? Be it chunky pixels or an integer scale I wouldn't mind a gba with a 4 or 6 inch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Monitor Burn does console modding, though you'll have to supply the parts. They've got a SA-Mart thread.