Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

my company basically takes over from this when either the original startup it guy quits, they have some terrible disaster or they grow a little and then someone on the board tells them to hire a company and they need to have backups and they can't just use their first name in lowercase and never change passwords before the it guy quits or they have some terrible disaster.

buy computers at the apple store and have an office within walking distance of an apple store. use the free tier of whatever email and productivity software there is. a handful of people actually need excel regardless. use kubernetes on top of AWS/GCP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
it's RedHat all the way down

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

the sysadmin only installs vim on the gentoo image they use for all their company laptops. once people dtart complaining he passive-aggresively puts vim cheat sheets all over the office

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

lampey posted:

use kubernetes

no

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

you are locked into to whatever vendor you use without it

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

lampey posted:

I think you will find that my bespoke init scripts implement all the kubernetes functionality you need

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
our cicd pipeline is our prod servers pull a git branch on a cron, build the code individually, and then execute it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
that one is real btw

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

lampey posted:

i'd literally rather be locked into a vendor than locked into kubernetes

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

besides i don't really NEED cloud providers anyway. if one big database server and a couple web gateways is good enough for stackoverflow, it's good enough for my lovely startup

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don’t know what a kubernetes is.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

no one does

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
do I need a lot of them or can I start off with one kubernete and work my way up?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i think you have to buy an amd k8 processor, that gives you one kubernete. then as you scale you purchase more k8s

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

do I need a lot of them or can I start off with one kubernete and work my way up?

you need 3 nodes minimum, but you could run them on single host to save money!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this sounds like a lot of work. I just want office stuff and code stuff. like documents and repos and messaging and emails.

also everything has to be distributed now so a vpn I guess

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Why bother with a vpn when you can just expose your rdp and other services directly to the internet.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Willeh posted:

Why bother with a vpn when you can just expose your rdp and other services directly to the internet.

live on edge

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bespoke startup that doesn’t use any technology, hardware or software, invented after 2012

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Jonny 290 posted:

live on edge

Mine looks about the same, but I did make sure to turn off password based auth in favor of ssh keys.

Overall I can't wait to ditch it when Wireguard becomes integrated in the kernel of Openbsd 6.8

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
white-knuckleing it through talking the boss down from rewriting everything in rust like it's a hostage negotiation

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

live on edge

one of my buddies used fwknop to sign packets to open ssh up from the IP and locked himself out. lol owned

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

white-knuckleing it through talking the boss down from rewriting everything in rust like it's a hostage negotiation

someone is rewriting the site in elixir on the weekends. it is 80 percent production ready.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

lampey posted:

this sentence makes absolutely no sense but it's gonna happen anyway so deal bitches

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hed posted:

one of my buddies used fwknop to sign packets to open ssh up from the IP and locked himself out. lol owned

lmfaooooo

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

DaTroof posted:

this sentence makes absolutely no sense but it's gonna happen anyway so deal bitches

Kubernetes allows you to switch between aws, azure, gcp, and other cloud services for infrastructure instead of being locked in. And with certain precautions you can have portability between vendors, for disaster recovery or availability

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just sprinkle some kubernetes in and now you can do anything

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

lampey posted:

Kubernetes allows you to spend 100% of the effort you would with or without kubernetes to switch between aws, azure, gcp, and other cloud services

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
be a Gigabit Hero To Friends and move your Plex server to a kubernetes instance

https://github.com/munnerz/kube-plex

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

the sysadmin only installs vim on the gentoo image they use for all their company laptops. once people dtart complaining he passive-aggresively puts vim cheat sheets all over the office

lastjob was a startup, i was there for six years and the whole time the ceo refused to hire a sysadmin

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
first implementation of the service was by the CTO using Common Lisp

you’re not allowed to rewrite it and he will fight you on any attempt to use other tools

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

fritz posted:

lastjob was a startup, i was there for six years and the whole time the ceo refused to hire a sysadmin

thats because that one intern who put linux on his cv kinda did it on the side and also everyone else

e: also i have provided and maintained a kubernetes-as-a-service platform for our company for over two years now and let me tell you that *faaaaaaaaaart*

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I’d use kubernetes if I was starting somewhere, but it’s something that I’d only use with both clear buy in and because I am ultra familiar with it, and it’s a “force multiplier” for just me. if it wasn’t me I’d stay away with a barge pole if you don’t have experience with it.

basically just like anything else use tooling you know inside and out and makes you go fast. if you have to refactor there will be time to do that at your next job after the startup closes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

they keep talking about it being a """low-cost hub""" despite litetally needed about 3 TB of RAM and about 200 CPUs for testing and production

our old hub of a few RHEL servers needed about 120gb RAM and 24 cores