Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Match of the Night
This poll is closed.
Tag Titles 14 15.56%
Women's Title 25 27.78%
TNT Title 1 1.11%
Dinosaurs vs WARDLOW and MJF 50 55.56%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/garrettkidney/status/1278504518762868738

:siren: AEW DARK MATCHES NEED TO BE SPOILER TAGGED IN THIS THREAD :siren:
They can be openly discussed without spoiler tags in the spoiler thread if you wish

AEW Dynamite for 7/1 mostly via https://www.f4wonline.com

quote:

The show opened with Jericho entering to join the commentary desk.

MJF and Wardlow then entered for the opener.

MJF cut a strong promo on Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus. He said he thought he and Wardlow had dispatched of Jungle Boy and his dinosaur once and for all. He ripped on Jungle Boy going through his daddy's money and said Luchasaurus was greener than his tongue.

MJF said he finally understood why this match was made even though he and Wardlow had already beaten Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus. He said it's because they're in a ratings war and you can't win without MJF on the front lines.

Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus (w/Marko Stunt) defeated MJF & Wardlow

This was a super opener.

Jungle Boy and MJF started off. Jungle Boy hit some strikes. He tried a hurricanrana off the apron but Wardlow caught him and MJF and Wardlow took control of the bout. They traded quick tags in working over Jungle Boy.

Jungle Boy finally made a hot tag to Luchasaurus who ran wild with tail whips and a variety of kicks. Wardlow and MJF traded powerful strikes. Luchasaurus hit a death valley driver into a double down.

MJF and Jungle Boy got tags. Jungle Boy hit three straight dives to MJF. He went for a springboard attack but Wardlow tossed him over the barricade. Luchasaurus hit Wardlow with a dive.

Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus hit a tandem cutter on Wardlow. Jungle Boy hit Wardlow ith a poison rana. Marko Stunt took the referee. Luchasaurus hit a powerbomb on MJF. MJF hit Luchasurus with a thrust kick. All four men went down.

Jungle Boy hit a destroyer off the back of Luchasaurus onto Wardlow. Wardlow tossed Stunt off the stage onto Jungle Boy on the floor. Wardlow hit a swanton bomb on Luchasaurus for a two count.

The finish saw MJF accidentally hit Wardlow with his Dynamite diamond ring. Wardlow avoided one accidental punch with the ring but MJF had his arm kicked into Wardlow's face. Luchasurus hit a series of kicks and pinned Wardlow with a standing moonsault.

A commercial aired for the AEW Dynamite Puppy Battle Royale which will air next week after Fyter Fest.

Lance Archer and Joey Janela had a pull-apart in the crowd. I saw zero masks among the dozen or so fans that were shown in this shot.

A Hikaru Shida and Penelope Ford hype video played. Both came off as big stars in this. Well done.

AEW Women's World Championship match: Hikaru Shida defeated Penelope Ford (w/Kip Sabian) to retain the title

Jericho called this the best match of Ford's career and he was right. Both women were awesome here.

Referee Aubrey Edwards ejected Kip Sabian before the opening bell. Sabian took Shida's kendo stick with him as he left.

Shida tried to repeat the quick win she picked up last week with a running knee strike at the opening bell. She tried for a falcon arrow but Ford slipped out.

The match went to the floor where they sent each other into the barricade. Back inside, Ford took over with a handspring back elbow in the corner and a boot in the corner. Ford hit a German into a bridge for a two count before a commercial break.

They traded strikes after the break. Ford hit an inverted DDT for a two count. They had a slap fight. Shida hit an enzuigiri. Ford hit a nice pump kick. Shida blocked a stunner and grabbed a sleeper. They botched a backbreaker spot but recovered well.

Shida hit a flacon arrow. Ford rolled through and cradled Shida for a near fall. Ford used a matrix back bend to avoid a diving attack off the top. Ford hit a stunner for a great near fall.

Ford rolled outside and grabbed the title belt. Edwards went out after her. Sabian ran in with the kendo stick. Shida ducked a kendo stick shot and hit Sabian with the stick.

Ford jumped back in and hit a stunner for a near fall. Shida hit a falcon arrow but Ford kicked out.

Shida then hit two running knee strikes for the pin.

Taz broke down Jon Moxley's double arm DDT in a video package.

TNT Championship match: Cody (w/Arn Anderson) defeated Jake Hager (w/Catalina Hager) to retain the title

Cody entered wearing a new shirt that had an old school Great American Bash theme to it.

They started very slowly. They did some mat wrestling and traded ankle lock counters. Cody hit a springboard dive to the floor and things picked up a bit. Hager came back with some throws.

The match spilled outside. Hager went after Arn and shoved him against the barricade. Cody went after Hager but ended up taking a suplex on the floor before a commercial.

Catalina walked on Cody's back during the break. After the break, Hager tried to post Cody. Arn got in his way. Cody used the distraction to post Hager.

Back inside, Hager used a sleeper. Cody walked the buckle to try to break the hold and got a two count but Hager kept the hold. Cody finally broke the hold and hit a springboard cutter off the top.

Remember when everyone started doing Spanish Flys about two years ago? The trend in wrestling right now is the pump kick. Everyone is using the pump kick. Cody used a pump kick here. Hager hit a Vader bomb for a two count.

Hager tried a second Vader bomb. Cody blocked and hit an inverted DDT for a two count. Hager hit a throw off the buckle for a two count. Hager used an ankle lock but Cody forced a rope break.

Here was the finish. Hager took the ref. Catalina slapped Cody. Hager went back to the ankle lock. Arn got in the ring and took the ref. Dustin Rhodes ran down and punched Hager. Cody went for Cross Rhodes. Hager blocked it. Hager hit a uranage and floated over into the arm triangle. Cody postured up and pinned Hager.

This match didn't do anything for me. The TNT title time limit actually hurts Cody matches because his best matches are long brawls where he can spend a long time selling. I also can't recall having seen Hager have a good outing in AEW yet.

Hager jumped up after the match as though he had won. Hager thought Cody passed out in the hold and that's why the bell rang.

Hager knocked out the referee. A bunch of referees and road agents ran in to get Hager out of the ring.

A Darby Allin hype video played. He was skateboarding and stuff. It was okay. Precisely as much thought went into coming up with the content for this video as it seems from this description.

Orange Cassidy sauntered in and sat next to the commentary team with his feet on the desk.

Private Party (w/Matt Hardy) defeated Santana & Ortiz

There was some good action in this one. Isiah Kassidy was the star of the match, he was absolutley on fire tonight.

Quen and Kassidy ran wild early with some spectacular dives. Kassidy in particular hit a great dive to the floor. Santana cut Kassidy off with a backdrop. Ortiz tagged in and hit a DDT and Santana and Ortiz established control.

Quen got a tag during a commercial break and hit some dives before he was also cut off. Kassidy got tag and hit a crazy tornillo. Kassidy hit a swanton on Ortiz for a near fall. Quen tagged in and fell victim to some tandem offense. Ortiz made a cover and Kassidy made the save for Quen.

Santana took out Kassidy on the floor. Ortiz took the ref. Santana tried to use a mad ball on Quen but Hardy jumped on the apron and took it away.

Santana and Ortiz went for the Street Sweeper. Quen pulled Santana's headband over his eyes and blocked the move. Private Party hit the Gin and Juice on Santana and Quen picked up the pin. Ortiz was just seconds late on making the save.

Jericho and Cassidy had a pull-apart. I wouldn't even have done this angle here. As far as generating interest in their match, nothing was going to top the angle that closed last week's show. They should have just replayed that in some form. Jericho left the commentary desk for the rest of the show.

The announcers previewed next week's show.

Private Party vs. the winners of the tag title match tonight was added to the show.

Jon Moxley vs. Brian Cage for the AEW title was moved to two weeks from tonight, which will apparently be Fight for the Fallen.

Taz and Cage entered for a promo. Taz said he's not upset that the match was moved back a week.

Taz said Moxley didn't want to come to Fyter Fest out of fear for the health of the staff and crew. Taz said that sounds good but he knows Moxley has been tested time and again at home and has tested negative. He said the only thing Mox is positive for is the chicken shits.

Taz promised that Cage will take the title from Moxley's "dumb rear end" at Fight for the Fallen.

This was a great promo. Taz is making a strong case for best on interviews this year.

#######

The Best Friends vs Kenny Omega and Adam Page

The Best Friends came out in a mini van with Trent's mom. This really made The Best Friends look like losers if they can't afford their own car.

Kenny Omega and Adam Page came out.

They did moves.

FTR came out and drank beer.

Chuck Taylor did a dive.

The Best Friends got double teamed.

The Best Friends did their finishing move.

It only got two because Kenny Omega made the save.

Adam Page almost got pinned on a roll up.

Adam Page won with the Buck Shot Clothesline.

FTR came out.

Kenny Omega spilled a beer.

The Young Bucks came out.

Everyone yelled.

The rest of the show seems to be next week, seems weird to only have half of a show.

News
Mox fears Cage
EVOLVE has declared it is no longer out of business and will run a show on 7/15
(That is a joke because Fight for the Fallen is on 7/15.)

Upcoming Schedule

NEXT WEEK: FYTER FEST WEEK 2
Private Party vs The Hung Omegamen
Chris Jericho vs Orange Cassidy
FTR and The Young Bucks vs The Butcher and the Blade and The Lucha Bros
Nyla Rose

TWO WEEKS
THE COWARD JON MOXLEY VS THE PATH OF CAGE

Links
The Official AEW Podcast! https://link.chtbl.com/AEW
Everything Elite Podcast the second most official and second most leftist podcast for the #1 promotion: https://redcircle.com/shows/everything-elite Everything Elite now has a weekly preview show!
AEW Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCFN4JkGP_bVhAdBsoV9xftA
Being the Elite Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC2V6TA0OqHr9BojcHz9az-w
Twitter https://twitter.com/aewrestling
AEW on TNT Twitter: https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT
Myspace https://www.myspace.com/aewrestling

Your First TNT Champion who has never had his belt stolen period:

Your First New Champions in AEW History the Second AEW Tag Team Champions:

Your Third AEW Women's World Champion:
https://twitter.com/shidahikaru/status/1278512415475412992

And finally, your first All Elite Wrestling Champion to not have his title belt stolen at Longhorn Steakhouse

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Still mad about wrestling. It's a good thing I guess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

4 Horsemen

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Good show

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Great show. A little bummed the Best Friends didn’t win the big one here but I am intrigued by how the post match played out

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the dynamite poster of the week for this week is the official Wryter Best. congratulations to them and all runners up, plus everyone else too who all did a great job

1. Dango Bango
2. Huntman
3. DuhSal
4. boxcarhobo
5. Prokhor Zakharov

there will be an opportunity to be the second and final Wryter Best of this year next week, which will carry exactly the same prestige.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Two hours flew by great show to kick off fyter fortnight.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Great show. A little bummed the Best Friends didn’t win the big one here but I am intrigued by how the post match played out

im ready for trent vs hangman for the world title in a year

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I can't believe they did that to Sue.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Quote this post if you did not watch Cody vs Hager and say what you did instead.

Watched a guy try to solo a dungeon in Destiny.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/shidahikaru/status/1278512415475412992

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
great great show. for a minute there I was thinking the tag title match was gonna be my least favourite match the way it started but it picked up pretty nicely overall. women's match was my favourite.

wanted best friends to win and really thought they were going to, but I'm not upset because I think it also makes sense to keep the titles on the champs and can see why they did that. plus omega/hangman are stellar and I'm happy we get more of them together. I think best friends will definitely win one day thou for sure.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
They brought up Kenny and Chuck Taylor's old tag team on commentary which made me look up this old PWG clip and man, almost everyone in this is in AEW now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGqZ4yqkpB8

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Rhonne posted:

They brought up Kenny and Chuck Taylor's old tag team on commentary which made me look up this old PWG clip and man, almost everyone in this is in AEW now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGqZ4yqkpB8

Hopefully that masked fella can join them some day

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
My only issue with Hangman/Omega is that Page's whole story arc is one of the best things they have and they know it. Which means tag teams I like are going to hit a wall while he's there. It's fine it's a good problem to have.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I both love that Hager's wife was getting good heat for him, but hate that she's even on screen. I don't want to see the heat be paid off with Hager losing, I want him the gently caress off my TV

Also, is there any wrestling company that has had the sheer number of skilled young lions and the number of skilled veterans who still have a dazzling run in them?

Between the foursome of Darby Allin(Controversy or no, they're sticking with him), MJF, Jungle Boy and Hangman, that's a killer crop of next stars. Add in Marq Quen who I think is a candidate to be another young new star. And then throw in all the skilled vets who still have it who aren't main event yet but could be, like Trent, Orange, Fenix, Penta...

Dang, it's kind of a shame that there can only be one world champ. There's so much good poo poo going down. I kinda want Cody to go ahead and lose the TNT belt to Fenix or Penta or Orange or someone to give it the DDP/Benoit midcard workhorse treatment without being the Golden God like Cody often stumbles into doing.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Hager attacking a ref is probably going to lead to him getting suspended, which will leave Jericho with just Santana and Ortiz in the Inner Circle(assuming Sammy isn't back for a while). Wonder how they'll effect the group going forward.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

This is a real left field comparison, but I get a real Muppet Show vibe off of AEW. It’s just a bunch of enthusiastic weirdos all reacting off of each other in a way that gives every show such a fun energy.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

MassRafTer posted:

The Best Friends came out in a mini van with Trent's mom. This really made The Best Friends look like losers if they can't afford their own car.

lmao lookit this take

just look at it

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Really good show, Best Friends should've won, gently caress Jake Hager, put the TNT title on Jungle Boy.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Rhonne posted:

Hager attacking a ref is probably going to lead to him getting suspended, which will leave Jericho with just Santana and Ortiz in the Inner Circle(assuming Sammy isn't back for a while). Wonder how they'll effect the group going forward.

I was wondering if Hager is getting "suspended" so him and Sammy can redebut together to kind of cover for Sammy's absence

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Cody's Match Time: 14:15
Time to bleed: n/a

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Private Party going over PnP was really a swerve to me because i thought for sure PnP are due for a run

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

I get nervous whenever they are wrestling by the stairs. I don’t want anyone having a rick rude type accident

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

smarxist posted:

Private Party going over PnP was really a swerve to me because i thought for sure PnP are due for a run

I think the Inner Circle might be crumbling.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

smarxist posted:

I think private party will lose a #1 contender match to ftr

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Jackie D posted:

Private Party have their title match next week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jackie D posted:

Private Party is facing the champs next week.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I stand by it.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Cody Three Stars stuck again tonight, and for once that's a compliment.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Private Party have their title match next week.

Anything can happen on AEW Dark!!!!

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 2, 2020

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
are they filming night 2 tomorrow?

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

They need to start moving on some of these big potential storylines. It looks like Wardlow leaving MJF is on the horizon which is great, but I think it's time to start doing the same thing with Kenny and Hangman. Since revolution, they haven't really had a story other than "who are we fighting next". And now they're going to back to the inner turmoil angle, they need to pay it off. Tonight was a really good time to do something big and it's disappointing in a way that they didn't do that because now they're probably going to have to hold onto the titles for a while until they build up another credible team and I have a feeling by the time that rolls around this partnership will have overstayed its welcome. That is, of course, unless they drop them to Private Party next week but....come on.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

brian cage should take the name Dale Gas

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If they're waiting to give Best Friends the belts until fans can attend again, like they're waiting on Blood & Guts

......it ain't happening this year. We don't even know if it'll happen next year!

At some point they'll have to pull the trigger on something that isn't the Elite, Jericho, or Mox (people they feel safe doing big things for)

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I haven't seen the show yet but Matt Hardy accompanying Private Party makes a lot of sense to me. They remind me of young Hardy Boys with their innovative offense and speed, unique clothes and looks. If you go back and watch some early Hardy's matches in WWE they're similar in the way they carry themselves in ring.

Also Matt is hand's down the nicest wrestler I ever met.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Chris James 2 posted:

If they're waiting to give Best Friends the belts until fans can attend again, like they're waiting on Blood & Guts

......it ain't happening this year. We don't even know if it'll happen next year!

At some point they'll have to pull the trigger on something that isn't the Elite, Jericho, or Mox (people they feel safe doing big things for)

This is what it's starting to feel like. They have to pull the trigger on things that feel momentous occasionally. We'd all like to do this in front of fans but we don't know when that will even be possible. And in the meantime, people are going to tune out because the show is just spinning its wheels on all of these stories.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

FTR seems most likely to eventually take the titles and set Kenny & Hangman back to their singles journey, but probably not for another month+

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The Orange Cassidy pull apart was absolutely necessary, and I refuse to hear differently. So fun to see him not trying to start anything at all and being held back by one dude lightly holding on to his collar, while Jericho was just swarmed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched Dynamite "liveish" for the first time in awhile so I apologize for indulging in my overly wordy thoughts.

Does Jericho ever shut the gently caress up?

Jungle Express vs MJF/Wardlow was great. I haven’t seen a ton of Wardlow but he’s good. Lucha’s still kind of limited but he’s pulling his own weight and then some and tag work is great for him. Jungle Boy definitely has “it” and feels like a future star. MJF is just waiting.

Shida is easily one of my favorite wrestlers on the planet. I’m undecided on Ford. I think she’s got a lot of potential but she still feels green. It was a good match and it held together, and Ford can improve being in the ring with people like Shida. Because Shida is awesome.

Jake Hager finally entertained me because when I heard “Rock Hard Jake Hager.. GROWL” I laughed so hard I nearly choked to death. Cody is one of my other favorite wrestlers and god he worked his rear end off to make Hager look not pudgy, gassed, and bad. I think I’m digging his whole “win by whatever way you can” thing and the idea that he like gets beat with moves and then just finds a way to win anyway. Sorta reminds me of DDP. But booked by Dusty. And I don’t care if a mediocre Hager match had a screwy finish. It made Hager look like a tool so it was good.

I think I'm over Darby.

Santana & Ortiz are probably my #1 act in wrestling. I’m real happy I decided to watch this episode in full and live-on-delay. Its like every wrestler I love to watch wrestling. Private Party are good too and have a big future and I don’t mind them winning (and was basically expecting it since they’re the team with a story) but, you know. 5150. I can’t wait for AEW to actually do something with Santana and Ortiz instead of use them as accessories to other people’s stuff.

I loved Suge D holding OC back.

Tax is so great with Cage. Its basically the same thing he did with Samoa Joe but with less penis tattoos and better booking and not in the Impact Zone.

Best Friends being driven by Trent’s mom was amazing. Best Friends became one of my favorite acts in wrestling in that moment. Match was ok but I think the pacing was off for time and the wrong guys won. I get keeping the belts on Page and Omega for FTR/Bucks and I can get behind the “fighting champions” thing but like, there’s a right time to pull the trigger and I think that was it for the Best Friends.

I cracked my first beer in months for FTR. I think they’re becoming one of my favorites too.

Been in a bad place the last couple of days and this episode really pulled me out of it for at least a couple of hours. Really glad I watched. Real good show. Also I like and miss beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FTR is extremely cool and even I owe them an apology for starting to buy into the WWE's power to make every single person who ever works for them, even their own home grown talent, look like absolute poo poo at all times