Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Match of the Night
This poll is closed.
Tag Titles 14 15.56%
Women's Title 25 27.78%
TNT Title 1 1.11%
Dinosaurs vs WARDLOW and MJF 50 55.56%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Finally sitting down for night 1 of Fyter Fest and I’m ready to move on from the Chris Jericho commentary experiment.

You're sounding like a STUPID IDIOT that just MADE THE LIST.

also it was worth it for the Orange Cassidy pull apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think Jericho's alright but I wish he'd tone it all down just like 10 or 15%
What gets me is the veins on his underbelly.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jericho should probably replace JR when they want him to do commentary.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last I heard of Pillman Jr, wasn't he still refusing to do anything but the most basic of wrestling training before getting fed up and dropping out before trying somewhere else a few months later?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I think you're thinking of Benoit Jr.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yep you're right, Pillman Jr was the guy who had (past tense?) a big falling out with his mother?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dude looks like a goddamn Baki character.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Last you probably heard of Pillman Jr was when he was making dumbfuck comments about Covid

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'll tell you what having seen the Eddie Kingston promo on Cody, the open challenge really elevates the TNT championship.

Unlike an in house "World" Championship, people outside the company wanting it, cutting promos for it, and coming in to challenge for it makes it seem badass as hell to be the champion.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

fez_machine posted:

I'll tell you what having seen the Eddie Kingston promo on Cody, the open challenge really elevates the TNT championship.

Unlike an in house "World" Championship, people outside the company wanting it, cutting promos for it, and coming in to challenge for it makes it seem badass as hell to be the champion.

It also gives a hell of a mechanism for debuting a new talent as a big deal. Let's use Eddie Kingston as an example. Have him cut promos about challenging, have the AEW twitter account quote tweet one with "what do you guys think?". Get him to do a video package ahead of his match with Cody or whoever. Then have him win. And leave. Now you have the company chasing a wrestler. Instant big deal.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

They said elsewhere the rules are if you show up and win the title, they sign you.

Which would be an amazing way to introduce someone, but more a strategy for when they get crowds back.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Ngl, I still don't "get" the glove. Like it's a fingerless glove. Whenever Spears gets that faraway look and starts caressing it I'm like :what:

It's his wanking claw.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Where the hell is this Eddie Kingston promo everyone is talking about?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

Where the hell is this Eddie Kingston promo everyone is talking about?

Full version is on IWTV as part of the ICW "Deathmatch Drive-In" show. There's some segments of it on Twitter too:

https://lastwordonprowrestling.com/2020/07/06/eddie-kingston-icw-nhb/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eddie Kingston promos were the best part of NWA Power before I stopped watching it for the various reasons

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Just rewatching All In... does anyone know why Matt Cross wasn't signed to AEW? He went over MJF in the opener of All In, is a great worker, seems like a good dude from his Twitter, with a few retweets from AEW guys... would have thought he'd be a natural fit?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Saul Goode posted:

Just rewatching All In... does anyone know why Matt Cross wasn't signed to AEW? He went over MJF in the opener of All In, is a great worker, seems like a good dude from his Twitter, with a few retweets from AEW guys... would have thought he'd be a natural fit?

Was he stuck in Lucha Underground contract hell at the time?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Saul Goode posted:

I would have loved M-Dogg in AEW.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pylons posted:

Was he stuck in Lucha Underground contract hell at the time?

This was my guess as well.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
He was also 38 years old and coming off a broken leg in 2017 when all the AEW stuff seemed to be aligning.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I would have loved M-Dogg in AEW.

*insert here M-Dogg being kicked off Tough Enough for being too good joining a list including John Morrison*

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I didn't think much of Penelope Ford before that Shida match but now I've really come around on her. That match really exceeded my expectations, and it might feature the best use of a matrix dodge I've ever seen (feel free to provide examples of ones you think were better :))

Speaking of, using the matrix to dodge a top rope move is an awesome idea and the only reason I can imagine I don't see it more often is because you risk the person still falling on you while you're bridging. But right now, I want to see Rey Fenix keep bouncing on the ropes and going for high flying moves while his opponent dodges in more and more convoluted ways

Best Friends losing made me very sad, and I don't like that they rolled out and left so that Omega/Page could advance a story with FTR/Bucks, it made them seem like a side-story to the REAL important stuff, imo. That said, I did like the story they told there, with Omega pouring out the beer, FTR getting furious, Bucks rushing out to explain that Kenny doesn't drink, and the two sides arguing... the two sides being Kenny+Bucks vs. FTR+Page :eek:

FTR feels disrespected, but more importantly, tension returns to the tag champs after Kenny wastes beer.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

dromal phrenia posted:

Speaking of, using the matrix to dodge a top rope move is an awesome idea and the only reason I can imagine I don't see it more often is because you risk the person still falling on you while you're bridging. But right now, I want to see Rey Fenix keep bouncing on the ropes and going for high flying moves while his opponent dodges in more and more convoluted ways

I feel like Jack Evans would be the perfect person to do this these dodges.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

I feel like Jack Evans would be the perfect person to do this these dodges.

That's a good call! Fenix bounces 3 times before going for a missile dropkick, Evans does a headstand and a split and Fenix whiffs right through his legs :cawg:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lamuella posted:

Full version is on IWTV as part of the ICW "Deathmatch Drive-In" show. There's some segments of it on Twitter too:

https://lastwordonprowrestling.com/2020/07/06/eddie-kingston-icw-nhb/

Thanks! Just watched the full thing on IWTV and was not disappointed. I don't think we'll ever actually see Eddie in AEW but it's nice to have dreams.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want Eddie Kingston in AEW cutting promos on Jericho and the Elite sooooooooooooooo bad.

I wanna hear his thoughts on Darby.

I wanna hear his thoughts an anxious millennial drunks.

I just want to hear Eddie Kingston talk forever about everything.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 6, 2020

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I want Eddie Kingston in AEW cutting promos on Jericho and the Elite sooooooooooooooo bad.

I wanna hear his thoughts on Darby.

I wanna hear his thoughts an anxious millennial drunks.

I just want to hear Eddie Kingston talk forever about everything.

Make Dynamite the Eddie Kingston podcast special coward Tony

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the only issue I have with Eddie Kingston's promos (and this is honestly a feature rather than a bug) is that you feel like he could read you his shopping list and his request for grape nuts would sound like it was ripped from his innermost psyche. Which is great, but in the hands of a lesser performer would make him sound a bit one-note. Thankfully he's both very funny and really compelling in the ring too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is Eddie Kingston the one with the unhealthy relationship with 4Loko or is that a different Eddie?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"You think this is a gimmick? You think I'm getting grape nuts because some trend told me it was healthy? THIS IS MY LIFE! I put my blood sweat and tears in that milk!"

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is Eddie Kingston the one with the unhealthy relationship with 4Loko or is that a different Eddie?

That's Sexxxy Eddy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AGjIQKxNE

STAC Goat posted:

"You think this is a gimmick? You think I'm getting grape nuts because some trend told me it was healthy? THIS IS MY LIFE! I put my blood sweat and tears in that milk!"

I absolutely heard this in his voice when I read this

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/BUNgpu5ZXRM

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It turns out Eddie Kingston is not on cameo and I cannot be the change I want to see in the world.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I only know of Eddie Kingston from second hand knowledge. Isn't he utterly cooked at this point as a wrestler?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

karmicknight posted:

It turns out Eddie Kingston is not on cameo and I cannot be the change I want to see in the world.

No, but everyone with Twitter can tweet Cody and Tony Khan and say we want the Mad King in AEW, they clearly read online stuff

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AGjIQKxNE

I absolutely heard this in his voice when I read this

I screwed up because it should have been "blood, sweat, and teeeeaaaaaarrrrs".

I love Eddie Kingston, I can ape Eddie Kingston, but I am no Eddie Kingston.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

I only know of Eddie Kingston from second hand knowledge. Isn't he utterly cooked at this point as a wrestler?

No. He's banged up but he can still go, and he's such a strong promo that he'd be an asset as a manager.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

karmicknight posted:

I would pay upwards of $40-60 US dollars to have Eddie Kingston do my outgoing VM message

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ChrisBTY posted:

He's quasi-retired a few times but he keeps coming back. He's very beat up but I wouldn't say he's "cooked".

But his strength has never been his in ring work. I like him as a wrestler but its not where he excels and its more about storytelling than workrate. But like he did a whole run with Impact with Santana and Ortiz where he only stepped in the ring for the blowoff match and he was masterful. Any half way competent wrestling promotion should want the King talking on their program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbs4GW4fqf0