Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I wish I found this thread yesterday instead of today.

I just got a new place and I found a few scout ants running around. I immediately went to Home Depot to get some ant traps but after seeing there are better options, I feel bad for putting them out.

Since I haven't moved in yet and there's pretty much nothing they would want except water, would it have been possible for the problem to solve itself? I guess if I cleaned off all the trails and made sure there's no food around, would the ants just lose interest?

I tracked the trail to a starting point in the garage so if I cleaned them out and dumped dichotomous earth around, would that have stopped them from coming inside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Depends more on your time available and energy.

Well I guess I do have Argentinian ants because the baits were not enough to kill all the queens.

I'm going to buy some more bait and after their numbers die down, I'll seal up any holes I see with baking soda and silicone caulk.

For cleaning off ant trails, will steam cleaners wipe them out? I didn't want to use vinegar because the trails are on tile that I don't want to damage. I guess a baking soda mixture might work and be tile safe?