Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

OP, I enjoyed your responses over in Stupid/Small Questions about the goon with the dishwasher ants. I was putzing around A/T today and saw your post here. Well, a few hours and five pages later, I have decided that ANTS ARE COOL AS gently caress.

Questions!

1. You mentioned ants sleeping, vs being inactive. How can you tell the difference? I'm a huge fish nerd, as my username implies, and I always wondered about that with my piscine friends. With fish, particularly the bigger, more intelligent types like cichlids, it seemed pretty obvious when they would lower themselves to the tank bottom, fold their fins, and be inert save for their gill flaps a'flappin'. Do ants, like, rest their antennae, or...?

2. I was set to ask a thousand questions when I read about baker ants (I cook for a living, so this intrigued me immensely), but most were already answered. Any good vid clips someone can recommend? And have people eaten this ant bread? I want to know what it tastes like.

Which brings me to a suggestion:

This thread reminded me of a great sci-fi short story by Bruce Sterling titled "Swarm".

http://www.sfsfss.com/stories/Swarm.html

It's from his Shaper/Mech series. All you really need to know as background is: future humans have mostly divided into two factions: Shapers (who use biological/organic enhancements and general DNA fuckery to advance their side) and Mechanists (who are all about tech/inorganic implants and becoming cyborgs, if not outright machines). Humans have just really started living in space and are trying to cope with dealing with alien life forms now aware that we aren't just stick-throwing monkeys.

Anyways, I ended up re-reading the story today thanks to this thread, and recommend it to anyone interesting in what Giant Ants In Space might be like. Many things like the mimics, symbiotes, eating regurgitated fungus (ANT BREAD), caste systems... it's a good read if this sort of thing interests you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

There appears to be no terrarium thread in PI, is that right?

I'll post a pic once I have everything planted in and am convinced that it'll stay sorta stable so the pic isn't this potential monument to my idiocy :v:

You should start a terrarium/vivarium thread!

Ever since I was a kid I've had fascination with artificial biomes. I'd go down to the woods or creek, collect critters, and much of the fun was setting up the habitats. Perfect hobby for a girl with a subscription to Ranger Rick: it was like building a Barbie Dreamhouse, but with living things! To this day I still love seeing neat set-ups.

And that's definitely part of the allure of this thread, since I never tried my hand at ants or the like. All y'all, please keep posting pics of your habitats!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ideally I would know the name for a sort of stopper/plug that has a hole in it to put like a tube through.

I just googled "rubber stopper with hole", and looks like you can get 'em on Amazon, scientific supply places, and homebrewing stores. "One hole stopper" looks like the real name for those. Which is good to know because my bong looks an Erlynmeyer (sp?) flask and uses one, lol

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Suddenly there's what kinda looks like a gigantic amount of eggs in the terrarium :ohdear:

Don't think it's fungi or pillbug-related, it's banks of roundish little white nodules / grains about a third or half of a mm in size, placed on bits of moist wood.

e: might be snails?

This thread continues to entertain and educate! There's a spot by the river here (SW Virginia) that I like to sit at and sketch. There's one fallen tree that's comfy to sit on, and the other day when crouched down to fetch a pencil I'd dropped, I saw those same fuzzy white things attached to the underside of "my" tree! Was wondering what the heck it was, didn't seem like eggs but the clumpy nature (balls about the size a pea) didn't suggest fungus.

And yay, baby ant! Do ants hatch all at once, over the course of a few hours like most fish that I've kept do? And do they give indications that the hatching is imminent?

Like when my Jack Dempseys spawned, I'd wake up about 3 days after the eggs were laid, check the nest, and they'd be jiggling. Then I'd come home after work to "welp, now I have 2+100 Jack Dempseys".

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I am a huge fan of Ze Frank's "True Facts" videos (they are all great, check them out), and when the latest one just popped up in my YT recommendations, well, of course I thought about y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p16g5IVCdeE

That poo poo's wild, yo

edit: "Booty Caches" would make a great username

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 11, 2021