Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Goons Are Great posted:

In general most invertebrates or actually even most non-mammals sleep regularly, but not like we do in big blocks of sleep bound together over many hours, but split up over many, many moments of sleep across the day, combined with times of simple inactivity. Arachnids for example, especially Tarantulas and Scorpions (I also own a scorpion, hence why I take this example) are famous for their incredible inactivity throughout the day, just sitting there, doing literally nothing until hunger kicks in, they sleep a lot during that time, but not all the time, as you can observe when they react to you coming in, or moving a rock or whatever. Inaction is usually almost equal to sleep for many animals, especially invertebrates, so sitting around doing nothing is almost as good as sleep and a lot safer, as you can still react to stuff.
Ants do it just like that, too, they usually just sit around when exhausted and do nothing, which you can see inside the nest a lot. During those periods of low activity they also fall asleep from time to time, usually not for more than a few minutes, wake up again without doing anything, then fall asleep again etc.
They can adjust this almost freely in all directions, including sleeping and sitting around a lot when there's nothing to do, or being active for many hours at a time without any break. As long as the overall energy level is fine and there is enough food intake to generate energy (as with many invertebrates, ants cannot get fat or store food inside their bodies, so eating is a vital necessity and key to their ability to be active), they can but don't really have to sleep, however will still take every opportunity they can get just in case there is a time where this choice is no longer given.

Huh, this got me thinking about the difference between sleep and death (bear with me okay...). Like for mammals there's a huge difference between being asleep and being... switched off, since we have tons of internal functions that tick along and require energy even when we're not conscious. You mentioned already that ants take in oxygen passively and I think something about their blood-equivalent pretty much just being around inside their body rather than being pumped through vessels like mammal blood? How much of their internal body processes are actual processes that require energy to keep working? It seems like if they aren't moving they can basically just be in standby mode like a machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Once when I was a teenager a friend came over to use our scanner, which we hadn't used for a few months, and we opened it up to discover it was now an ant nest! I was sad I wasn't allowed to keep letting them live there, sure we had ants wandering around the study randomly but it was a perfect ant farm, you could just open it up to see the ants living under the glass, queen and eggs and everything.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Related question what happens to species designed to hibernate if the temperature never goes that low? Are all ant species in Australia non-hibernating ones?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I told my mother about this thread and she has a question! She's been seeing ants in her garden which appear to be carrying other ants. She thought it was just dead ants they were carrying at first but has noticed that they also carry other living ants. Why would they be doing that? We're in Australia.