Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wow before this ant thread I never knew how loving cool termites were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Out of curiousity what's the best way to kill and sterilize feeder insects? I'm assuming y'all don't just chuck in live animals like you would for say, a big arachnid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Goons Are Great posted:

In preparation for winter I had to remove the tubes connecting the first and the second outworld and by doing so I removed a small stone I offer water in. Underneath, again, I found another, newly constructed satellite nest my ants had built, full of larvae. I'm not sure why they do this for the larvae - pupae would make sense since it's a lot less humid there than in the nest and pupae don't like it too humid - but they've proven time and time again and they will take this satellite nest no matter what I try to do to convince them otherwise. The only explanation I have is that they have problems keeping the larvae from eating eggs and pupae - a common problem for all ant species, the larvae are blind and will try to eat literally everything in range of their mouths - and so they want to play safe.

Either way, by opening it up, I triggered full alarm, needed to distract them by using an attacking cricket to draw their attention away and then remove the tube next to the satellite nest. In there, I got a unique photo of this super cute ant:

A white ant!

This species is always very dark brown to deep black, so this is a special sight. It is, however, not an albino ant or something, it's actually a freshly hatched baby ant. She must have hatched from her cocoon a few hours ago, probably in the morning 4 to 7 hours ago. Her exoskeleton is not yet hardened and very very soft and vulnerable, it takes around 8 to 12 hours for it to harden fully, turning black. Usually these babies never, ever leave the nest as they are so vulnerable to everything, and due to the very short duration they look like this, it is extraordinarily rare to see one.

Poor little girl was completely lost, her antennae cannot smell very well yet as that, too, needs some time to harden and adjust. Also she is very sensitive to light, so she just stumbled across, helplessly looking for her sisters to lead the way. That did happen after a few seconds, another ant came by, grabbed her antenna with her mandible, and carefully led the way towards the nest.
In a few hours she'll be all black and fully functional, then she can tell the others her exciting story of how she got lost during complete chaos and thought the world has vanished around her.

Weird to think she’s all grown up now.

This thread has made me stop and stare and be fascinated by ants like when I was a little kid and I love it. There’s a colony living in a crack in the asphalt right outside my place and I’ve decided they’re my best pals. I keep meaning to take a picture of them and post it to see if y’all can tell me what species they are. They were dismantling a pigeon carcass this morning. Feast, little friends.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/batshaped/statu...ber%3D1621pti22