Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Fucker Carlson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cucker Failson

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

oh hey, the only fascist who's willing to listen to Mark Blyth's economic advice is gonna be president in four years' time

whoop-dee-loving-doo, everyone is hosed

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

It's really cool that unironically one of our few realistic hopes for avoiding a decade of utter misery and descent into fascism is Donald Trump getting reelected and subsequently getting blamed for all the terrible poo poo that's coming. I wish I could go back in time and tell my past self that Donald Trump will be running, for reelection, in 2020 and him winning is legitimately and unironically the better outcome.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The one saving grace right now keeping me from having an anxiety attack is that the media saying that someone's a "rising star", a shoo-in, or has a "compelling biography" is generally a complete kiss of death, particularly 4 years out.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

cucker fartson
gently caress you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's going to do this in every debate and win them all easily

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
it's funny to mock his dumb face but Tucker Carlson is legit smarter than almost every republican in Washington

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

oxsnard posted:

it's funny to mock his dumb face but Tucker Carlson is legit smarter than almost every republican in Washington

For years I only knew him from pics of his face and memes so I thought he was just another braindead Fox News host

oops

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Sweet, he's gonna ride a red wave in `24 that leads to a Constitutional convention. Gonna love being stateless. It'll be like the game Not Tonight, but an American Reality.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The one saving grace right now keeping me from having an anxiety attack is that the media saying that someone's a "rising star", a shoo-in, or has a "compelling biography" is generally a complete kiss of death, particularly 4 years out.

Has there ever been a president who won the office with a called shot 4 years down the line?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Has there ever been a President who released executive orders via Twitter before

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
thinking about 2024 plans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qiuj501qPyw

sum
Nov 15, 2010

To make a presidential run Tucker Carlson will necessarily rely on other people's money and media coverage. He's not as notable or telegenic as Trump to get the free air time and he's not as independent from donors as Trump to craft his own policy. This isn't to say that he couldn't win the nomination but he'd have a much more difficult time running as a true outsider in a meaningful sense. Also this is moot because like I said Trump is just going to run again in 2024 and he will win the nomination.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

sum posted:

To make a presidential run Tucker Carlson will necessarily rely on other people's money and media coverage. He's not as notable or telegenic as Trump to get the free air time and he's not as independent from donors as Trump to craft his own policy. This isn't to say that he couldn't win the nomination but he'd have a much more difficult time running as a true outsider in a meaningful sense. Also this is moot because like I said Trump is just going to run again in 2024 and he will win the nomination.

The media loves giving him extensive think pieces about how strange and compelling he is but you're right that the FEC rule against having your own show while running as a candidate will gently caress him over

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
there's a gosh darn COMPETENT FASCIST in the white house

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The media loves giving him extensive think pieces about how strange and compelling he is but you're right that the FEC rule against having your own show while running as a candidate will gently caress him over

boomers would never forgive him for depriving them of himself

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

tucker is willing to criticize slavish market ideology and tell his viewers that he agrees with aoc that 18+% credit card interest rates are too high

strasserism will be overwhelmingly popular with the american public when the alternative is being austerity scolded as bezos ascends to trillionaire

on the bright side, he'd face the same problem as bernie: he'd be a meaningful threat to their current order and would face a huge corporate media shitstorm including from his current allies in FOX and right wing AM radio or whatever, and they'd do the same election rigging they did in the democratic primary

on the gripping hand, didn't stop trump

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
This always triggers reactionaries who think Carlson is on their side.

quote:

When asked on “Bubba the Love Sponge” in 2008 how he pays his bills, Carlson replied that he’s “extraordinarily loaded” just from “inheritance from my number of trust funds.”

“I’ll go out and beat some servants, I’ll wrap my Lamborghini around a tree, go pick up a kilo or two, you know, just like normal stuff,” he added.

“You’re a trust fund baby, are you not?” the host asked. “Oh completely, I’ve never needed to work, yeah,” Carlson said. “I mean it’s all just — the whole cable news thing … it was just like a phase I was going through.”

In another instance, the conversation on the show centered on Fox chair Rupert Murdoch’s decision to pull ultraconservative host Sean Hannity from broadcasting at a Cincinnati tea party rally in 2010. “I’m 100 percent [Murdoch’s] bitch,” Carlson said. “Whatever Mr. Murdoch says, I do. … I would be honored if he would cane me the way I cane my workers, my servants.”

In a 2009 radio segment, Carlson joked about growing up in a castle, saying that one thing you learn when you “look out across the moat every day at the hungry peasants in the village” is that “you don’t wanna stoke envy among the proletariat.” The host then asked if having an African-American “shining the rims on your Bentley” doesn’t invoke envy, to which Carlson replied, “I only have, you know, American, white servants.” He explained, “It’s not because I’m racist, it’s because I’m not. It’s because I feel better beating them, you know what I mean?” Moments before the back-and-forth, Carlson was talking about how he had just been hired at Fox News.

“But see, I’m an out-of-the-closet elitist,” Carlson said in a 2008 segment. “I don’t run around pretending to be a man of the people; I’m absolutely not a man of the people, at all.”

https://theintercept.com/2019/03/12/tucker-carlson-tapes-rupert-murdoch/

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Yinlock posted:

boomers would never forgive him for depriving them of himself

Boomers have goldfish memories now to say nothing of the senility which will start to set in 4 years from now. You have to declare your candidacy about 7 to 8 months pre-Iowa to have a shot these days. I'm not sure Boomers will even remember him after the 8 months he'll have to be off the air

BIG FLUFFY DOG has issued a correction as of 17:59 on Jul 3, 2020

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
oh yeah hes a 100% faking the populism, thats what smart reactionaries do

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

There is one question on everyone's lips: will we get to see Tucker attempt to eat a corn dog at the Iowa state fair?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Cucker Tarlson

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ticker furiously attempting to flag down a waiter from a throng of fairgoers at an Iowa food court never having eaten at a place with counter service before

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Jon Joe posted:

Fucker Carlson

Filthy Hans posted:

Cucker Failson

Analysis complete. Hes doomed. Just like Huckabee

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
imagine tucker carlson eating an unseasoned pork chop on a stick

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
tucker carlson couldn't even handle a dutch historian mildly chiding him for being rich, how will he handle Donald Trump Insult Comic relentlessly mocking him on a debate stage

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mila kunis posted:

on the bright side, he'd face the same problem as bernie: he'd be a meaningful threat to their current order and would face a huge corporate media shitstorm including from his current allies in FOX and right wing AM radio or whatever, and they'd do the same election rigging they did in the democratic primary

on the gripping hand, didn't stop trump

also i think the republicans realize that carlson and his ilk wouldn't be a meaningful threat in practice

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Tucker Carlson had his career ruined for over a decade because of a single conversation with Jon Stewart

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Tucker Carlson can't wear bowties anymore because too many people made fun of him

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Donald Trump appeals to the people because despite being a rich failson he's really one of them, a loud boor who says exactly what pops into his head at all times and eats Big Macs for breakfast lunch and dinner

Tucker Carlson is a patrician who wears bowties

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Tucker Carlson is smarter than almost any national republican and part of that intelligence is him realizing that he would do absolutely terribly in any environment where he can't just cut people's mics when they start clowning on him

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Tucker Carlson is well, actually given life and form

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Could Tucker maintain his facade of loving the working class white people of this country when hes actually forced to leave DC and interact with them direvtly for 18 months straight?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

also i think the republicans realize that carlson and his ilk wouldn't be a meaningful threat in practice
this could be a response to losing advertisers by boasting about tucker's reach:

quote:

In recent weeks, Tucker Carlson, the conservative Fox News host, has challenged the Black Lives Matter movement, dismissed demonstrators as “criminal mobs,” accused a Texas police chief of “sounding more like a therapist than a cop” and mocked a CNN children’s special about racism that featured Elmo, the “Sesame Street” puppet.

His comments have generated a harsh backlash. Critics have called Mr. Carlson’s on-air monologues incendiary and accused him of making racist remarks. Major advertisers, including the Walt Disney Company and Sandals, the vacation resorts, have fled, requesting that Fox News remove their ads from Mr. Carlson’s 8 p.m. hour.

Viewers, however, are tuning in.

“Tucker Carlson Tonight” was seen by 4.2 million people on Monday, making it the most-watched television program in the country that night, ahead of entertainment fare on the major networks. His show was the highest rated on Fox News last week, and he has pulled ahead of Sean Hannity, the network’s usual ratings leader, in total viewers for June.

[...]

“You may feel like you are,” he continued. “Suddenly, your opinions qualify as crimes. Dare to say what you think at work and you will be fired in the middle of a recession. Write what you think online and you will be silenced by the big tech companies.”

But his remarks have not sat easily with Mr. Carlson’s advertisers, including companies like Papa John’s, Poshmark, Angie’s List and the office furniture brand Vari, all of which have distanced themselves from “Tucker Carlson Tonight.” T-Mobile announced its defection in a memorable Twitter post from Mike Sievert, the company’s chief executive, who wrote: “Bye-bye, Tucker Carlson!”

On Thursday, the fitness equipment company NordicTrack also said it would no longer advertise on Mr. Carlson’s program.

“The show has almost no big-name advertisers left right now,” Kara Alaimo, a public-relations expert who teaches at Hofstra University, said in an interview. “This is just not an issue you want to be on the wrong side of, if you’re a mainstream brand.”

Fox News has said brands removed from “Tucker Carlson Tonight” typically have their ads run on other programs, and the network retains the revenue. Fox News also earns a significant portion of its income from subscription fees paid by cable providers, rather than spending by individual advertisers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/business/media/tucker-carlson-advertisers-ratings.html

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

remember when drumpf got owned by obama at the white house correspondents dinner :xd: never heard from that loser ever again

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
gently caress all this

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Tucker Carlson is smarter than almost any national republican and part of that intelligence is him realizing that he would do absolutely terribly in any environment where he can't just cut people's mics when they start clowning on him

Yeah. I'm not counting Tucker out of the running, but I think there's a significant difference between having a micromanaged TV show where he gets to stack the deck in his favor and talk about whatever he wants for an hour the same way you would come up with the Perfect Bulletproof Debate in the shower and going out on the stump, rallying people through their emotions and making an appeal to voters not already in his base (voter suppression, I know I know).

But like, let's actually imagine Tucker as a populist candidate instead of a talking head on a cable show. Does he cut to people's emotions in the same way that Trump does or Hillary did or Bernie did or gently caress it, even Biden has a connection to people believe it or not as a dude who is quote unquote "real" or is at the least reminiscent of a nostalgic recent past. I dunno, I'm spitballing here, Tucker could very well find the way to pivot and do this well, but he could also be talked up as the Perfect Candidate the way this same party establishment was anticipating Jeb Bush would dominate in 2016 and then it could all crumble down because people realize he's just some rich TV dinner trust fund shithead.

Honestly, I think even Tucker is too prim and proper for these people. His greatest asset, his intelligence, might actually be his greatest failing because clearly the GOP base reviles anyone remotely educated or smart. I bet you anything the next GOP nominee comes from law enforcement. One of the psycho sheriffs will rise to national prominence when they decide to defy a toothless Biden EO that will cut ICE's budget by .75% and make a big stink of it and they'll ride that blood and soil rage to power. Not specifically David Clarke or Joe Arpaio but one of the endless stream of fascists just like them, maybe Thomas Hodgson.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

remember when drumpf got owned by obama at the white house correspondents dinner :xd: never heard from that loser ever again

it's true. havent heard from obama in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

2024 GOP Primary: Tucker Carlson, Matt Gaetz, Tom Cotton, Dan Crenshaw, Roy Moore, Thomas Hodgson, Joe Arpaio, David Duke, Omarosa, someone claiming to be Q who has convinced roughly 65% of Qanon people he's legit, A dog that can play football and stands for the national anthem, Donald Trump