Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

mind the walrus posted:

I heard that Macbeth was pretty crap and clearly sold on the promise of "Realistic and sexy like Game of Thrones but highbrow so awards." I don't know, but I've never heard anyone even try to reappraise it, so "mediocre and forgettable" is probably the verdict.

Yeah it was fine, nothing groundbreaking, ‘crap’ is harsh.

mind the walrus posted:

Branagh's Shakespeare is legit. Henry IV, Hamlet, Much Ado are all worth a drat. I'd also recommend Richard III with Ian McKellen which is set in Nazi Germany:

Henry V is good, Much Ado is entertaining but frothy. Twenty five years ago I rated Hamlet pretty highly, but in retrospect (and with a much greater understanding of the text) there’s a lot of very questionable choices, and a great deal of Ken’s performance shows a poor understanding of the character, and is frequently overwrought as a substitute. I remember enjoying the Richard III at the time, but I haven’t seen it since the 90’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

this post took away a couple of my hit points

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Gonna watch Hamilton in Austria this weekend.

You can swirl me but I'm probably just going to get turned on.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

forward pass posted:

Can we watch CATS instead?

No. gently caress you. I can't do it again dammit. I just can't.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Snackula posted:

Gonna watch Hamilton in Austria this weekend.

You can swirl me but I'm probably just going to get turned on.

I'm sure I can find a way to bully you that won't stoke the fires of your arousal. I'm going back to the lab for this one.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
i watched macbeth on a school trip and went into anaphylaxis and the teachers didn't believe me and wouldn't let me leave because that's not allowed at plays and i had to wait for intermission. it was sick

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I-Is that an epipen I see before me?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I just watched the Weird Al version so I can get the whole plot in 5 minutes instead of 3 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v0c6smpHSk

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:shepicide:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Even a "good" musical is mostly groan-inducing. It's bourgeois crap.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Does anyone have the twitter post where Miranda and some other nerd are speaking In like so random messages with each other? I hope someone knows what I’m talking about.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Did anyone else see that Joss "Josh" Whedon version of Much Ado? Goddamn, it was practically offensive. Just Joss' rich celebrity friends playing around in his palatial estate. gently caress.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

phasmid posted:

Even a "good" musical is mostly groan-inducing. It's bourgeois crap.

this is empirically correct

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Did anyone else see that Joss "Josh" Whedon version of Much Ado? Goddamn, it was practically offensive. Just Joss' rich celebrity friends playing around in his palatial estate. gently caress.
The saddest part is that Amy Acker, Clark Gregg, and Nathan Fillion are actually really good, but it's so hard to shake the "gently caress me this guy actually lives like this" vibe.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I watched it. It was good. :colbert:

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

My girlfriend tried to make me watch it today and I began ranting so hard about libs (even harder than usual) that she had to shut it off after five minutes lest I went critical.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Assassins is the only good musical, hope that helps.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Shwqa posted:

I watched it. It was good. :colbert:

You're in the swirly queue. Get ready. It's gonna be in the unisex bathroom down the hall. The one normally reserved for children and families.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Doc Fission posted:

You're in the swirly queue. Get ready. It's gonna be in the unisex bathroom down the hall. The one normally reserved for children and families.

Is that unisex bathroom on the first floor or the 2nd?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Just saw it, can I go give myself a swirly or does it by definition have to be done by a jock

Lil Devil
Feb 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not going to watch it for three reasons:

(1) I don't have Disney+
(2) I loathe rap "music"
(3) I find the use of whiteface to be morally repugnant

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I really want to hear what else this guy is capable of if he’s the genius behind Tim Kaine in the membrane

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hamilton seems to be a culmination of how dorky americans can be when they put their mind to it

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

you broke my grill posted:

I just watched the Weird Al version so I can get the whole plot in 5 minutes instead of 3 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v0c6smpHSk

Weird Al can turn the most offensively bad crap into beautiful music... It's like a super power

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Logan 5 posted:

Just saw it, can I go give myself a swirly or does it by definition have to be done by a jock

I guess you can do it yourself. We're on the honor system here.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

mind the walrus posted:

The saddest part is that Amy Acker, Clark Gregg, and Nathan Fillion are actually really good, but it's so hard to shake the "gently caress me this guy actually lives like this" vibe.

Agreed. And it sounds like a fun concept until you're watching it and you realize "Oh no. This guy is just another rich rear end in a top hat."

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Shwqa posted:

Is that unisex bathroom on the first floor or the 2nd?

Thanks for asking. I prefer the first floor bathroom as it's more accessible. Please be on time for your swirly, you big dork.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I watched it

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Meow does a bastard, orphan, kitten of a whore
And a Scotscat, dropped in the middle of a furgotten spot in the Cat-ribbean by purrovidence impawverished,
In squalor, grow up to be a lion and a scholar?

There would have been nothin' left to mew for someone less ast-mew-te
He woulda been dead or destit-mew-te without a cent of restit-mew-tion
Started workin', mousin' for his late mother’s landlord
Tradin' catnip and rum and all the things he can’t afford
Scammin' for every cat toy he can get his claws on
Plannin' for the mew-ture see him now as he rests his paws on
The meow of a ship headed for a mew land
In Mew York you can be a mew man

Catlexander Hameowton
My name is Catlexander Hameowton
And there's a million things I haven't nyan
But just you wait, just you wait

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1279150049302392833

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
My name is Washington and I'm here to say
That smoking weed is not okay

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Lol this rules

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I could kick Hamilton's loving rear end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm genuinely ignorant/confused, how was Harriet Tubman-- a woman born 2 states away 20 years after Alexander Hamilton died-- "left out?"

The rest is spot-on though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Lil Devil posted:

I loathe rap "music"

Are you implying that RAP isn't music? You might want to broaden your view of the world, if you think that. You might not like the pop version of RAP, but it is a very wide and diverse genre.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I have a watch that is a Hamilton

But I'll never watch Hamilton

gently caress that punk rear end bitch Aaron burr did nothing wrong,

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

500excf type r posted:

gently caress that punk rear end bitch Aaron burr did nothing wrong,

Tolk rot, gette shot.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Miranda got bullied and thrown into trash cans by immortal technique.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Is Hamilton literally just Bulworth in powdered wigs? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zingmar Burgman
Mar 20, 2012

The entire concept of Hamilton, on paper, is loving nuts.