Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
They played survivor, it's fiiiine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

After that embarrassing series of posts, I am off to bed

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

##vote textbook origins

Come join us at any time!

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

What do you mean? I'm already here. Was there anything more to add? 'cause I'm not seeing it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Somberbrero posted:

Scientastic is pinging me a little bit for trying hard this early but also I don't think it's productive to vote out engaged players. All this said with the obvious caveat that it's less than 24 hours in.

Where has Scientastic been “trying hard” as of your post? Everything so far seems like standard jokephase stuff.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

textbookOrigins posted:

What do you mean? I'm already here. Was there anything more to add? 'cause I'm not seeing it.

I dunno.
I’m just messing with you. Seeing how you’d react.

Interesting.... interesting indeed

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Roydrowsy posted:

I dunno.
I’m just messing with you. Seeing how you’d react.

Interesting.... interesting indeed

I’ve also been distracted all day and I’ve been bad at paying attention. This is the first time I’ve been primarily playing in my phone.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Roydrowsy posted:

I’ve also been distracted all day and I’ve been bad at paying attention. This is the first time I’ve been primarily playing in my phone.

You might want to fix your vote then; not sure if it registers with the space in it. :sun: But if you wanna keep playing around that's fine too!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

IllegallySober posted:

Where has Scientastic been “trying hard” as of your post? Everything so far seems like standard jokephase stuff.

Sure, and it is, but they were the most active in trying to start the game up.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Scientastic posted:

Spokes sees a potential move here to Somber, wants to put down a marker but doesn’t want to vote just in case he’s misread it

Yeah, I was mostly just saying it seemed weird to me and looking for clarification in case I didn't understand something. Didn't want to jump into a vote before getting an explanation, but it seems like it was just... suspicious on purpose? i'm sure this is a tenth-level play i'll grow to understand as i play more mafia, but it doesn't make any sense to me and nobody's cluing me in, so might as well put a vote behind my suspicions.

##unvote

##vote Somberbrero

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

I dunno y’all, that seemed like a standard “let’s leave vote phase now that 24 hrs have passed” post so I don’t think I’m ready to hop aboard the somber traincar yet.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

sandnavyguy posted:

I dunno y’all, that seemed like a standard “let’s leave vote phase now that 24 hrs have passed” post so I don’t think I’m ready to hop aboard the somber traincar yet.

If he had actually cared about leaving vote day and pushing the game he would not have posted so hesitantly

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Tommu posted:

If he had actually cared about leaving vote day and pushing the game he would not have posted so hesitantly

Nuhuh.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Uhuh

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Roydrowsy posted:

##vote textbook origins

Come join us at any time!

I fixed this vote in VF.

##unvote

Nothing has pinged me yet besides Somber’s weird comment about Sci trying hard. Gun to my head, I’d vote here, but let’s see what develops. Don’t make me throw out a Lumpen-style content game.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

Don’t make me throw out a Lumpen-style content game.

I’m starting to get tired and hungry and nap time is close. gently caress it.

Scientastic, of the players in the game, who would you:
- Doc
- Mason
- Vig?

Tommu, same question to you.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

IllegallySober posted:

I’m starting to get tired and hungry and nap time is close. gently caress it.

Scientastic, of the players in the game, who would you:
- Doc
- Mason
- Vig?

Tommu, same question to you.

I’d vig you for asking this question, mason Somber because he’s cool and I’d doc myself

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

textbookOrigins posted:

##Vote TextbookOrigins

This is someone who is just checking the thread for mentions of themself, there was plenty to comment on

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What did Textbook think of Tommu calling out Somber? Don’t know, no comment

What did Textbook think of the fact that Tommu didn’t vote when he made his point, but waited a little bit? Don’t know, no comment

What did Textbook think of my case against Spokes? Don’t know, no comment

What did Textbook think of the fact I immediately retracted? Don’t know, no comment

What did Textbook think when Somber voted for the brand new player? Don’t know, no comment

What did Textbook think when he was called out by name? Holy poo poo, I’m not lurking, what the gently caress dude, there’s just been nothing to comment on, but I am definitely checking the thread for mentions of my own name, that counts as playing, right?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Scientastic posted:

I’d vig you for asking this question

Rude, but thanks for playing along anyway.

Scientastic posted:

##Vote TextbookOrigins

This is someone who is just checking the thread for mentions of themself, there was plenty to comment on

It was an awfully fast reply. I don’t necessarily agree that there was lots to comment on, but the engagement itself felt a little forced on TO’s part. You might have something here.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Scientastic posted:

What did Textbook think of my case against Spokes? Don’t know, no comment

What did Textbook think of the fact I immediately retracted? Don’t know, no comment

I thought these two at least were relatively straightforward in appearance- you cased and then immediately withdrew since he was a new player, I assume you’re giving them leeway on D1 and I don’t quite know what you expect in terms of a comment on that. You do make a point on the Tommu stuff though, I guess.

It’s midnight here on a work night so I’m headed to bed, but I’ll take another look at your line of thinking in the morning.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

IllegallySober posted:

I thought these two at least were relatively straightforward in appearance- you cased and then immediately withdrew since he was a new player, I assume you’re giving them leeway on D1 and I don’t quite know what you expect in terms of a comment on that. You do make a point on the Tommu stuff though, I guess.

It’s midnight here on a work night so I’m headed to bed, but I’ll take another look at your line of thinking in the morning.

I guess my point would be that that series of posts was something that happened that could have been commented on. Somber voted for it, and I know a lot of people dislike my stance on new players, and both of those could be comment-worthy.

To say that nothing has happened, but to reply within a minute of your own name being mentioned is disingenuous, and strikes me as someone checking the thread in case they have to defend themselves.

That is the essence of lurking: not simply being absent, but hovering around, reading the thread, but not interacting unless absolutely necessary.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Thread's been dead all goddamn day, this is hilarious.

The "cases" were all weak and forced, because this is day one. I didn't think there were any cases worth making, yet. I do not agree that there was plenty to comment on. Plenty to take note of for later, but nothing substantial enough for a case.

(I got called out my last game for checking when people were active on the forums and just not posting in the game thread. I'm not doing that anymore, but I'm still almost always hoping someone else will :justpost: in my followed threads. There's nothing else to do, what with the everything. So it's... not hard to respond when I see "oh, a new post!" What the gently caress? Look at the posting times between you two, wow, doesn't that look coordinated??? Pff)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I knew that would happen. I’m sorry you rolled scum, but next time try to be less obvious about checking the thread for mentions of your own name.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

That's really cute! I am not fooled.

##vote Scientastic

Call OMGUS all you want! You do. Thank you so much for trying to act like an actual mafia parent.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

textbookOrigins posted:

The "cases" were all weak and forced, because this is day one.

Nothing to comment on, but here is a comment on the quality of the cases. Why not make that comment at the time, you seem to be confirming that you were reading along, but refraining from posting.

textbookOrigins posted:

I'm still almost always hoping someone else will :justpost: in my followed threads. There's nothing else to do, what with the everything. So it's... not hard to respond when I see "oh, a new post!" What the gently caress?

Right, as do I. So when there were all those new posts with call outs of other players, votes and invites, you knew there was activity in the thread, but chose not to add to the discussion.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

textbookOrigins posted:

That's really cute! I am not fooled.

##vote Scientastic

Call OMGUS all you want! You do. Thank you so much for trying to act like an actual mafia parent.

Art

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Jokephase doesn't count as activity. I didn't have anything to add. I know you're scum or really bad at reading people who aren't active members of the mafia group. It's probably useful to have scum be active early on!

But what would my lol at a pun have added?

Why am I supposed to care that you might not vote someone just because of how often he's played before? It's a dumb policy if you think he's acting scummy. Were you just stirring poo poo? Probably. Does i matter? Not on day one!

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

It's only art if you put it on your fridge. Won't count otherwise. Don't disappoint me.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Somberbrero (2): Tommu, Spokes
Spokes (2): dmboogie, IllegallySober, Scientastic, Scientastic, Somberbrero, IllegallySober
Scientastic (2): sandnavyguy, Scientastic, Scientastic, textbookOrigins
textbookOrigins (2): Roydrowsy, Scientastic
dmboogie (0): Spokes, Spokes
sandnavyguy (0): Scientastic, Scientastic

Not Voting (1): IllegallySober

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 15th, 2020 at 12:15 a.m. EDT -- that's in about 20 hours, 22 minutes.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Scientastic posted:

##Vote TextbookOrigins

Aww man,
I was just messing around with that vote. I didn’t expect anybody to take it seriously, or to jump on it.

Yes, the timing was “convenient” but they have also been posting in the thread more than several other people.

##unvote

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

##vote scientastic

That vote, it just feels weird.
One of the reasons I didn’t remove or fix my vote, was to see who would do anything about that.

They way you jumped onto it feels weird to me.

I know I could have just posted this in the previous post, but i wanted to count votes before changing things.

I’m curious to see what happens next.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Scientastic, I think you picked me to focus on because I commented on the initial testing of the waters dogpile when Somberbrero said you were pinging him scum right after Roydrowsy's probable joke vote (I can't even with day one). I'd been one of the least active posters, but we'd interacted twice by then.

Like. Why me, though? Saying poo poo is a scumslip is part of jokephase. Posting at all during the beginning is hard enough; I didn't mean it. I'm more interested in hearing absolutely anything at all from dmboogie or sandnavyguy! But with you focusing on me like this it's giving them a chance to coast. I get that you backed off of Spokes after his professed cluelessness about why one would do some uberleet mafia strat, but I don't get why I should care about why you did that. I'm way more suspicious of the people who've been lurking more than I have. I don't buy that you decided on me because I was engaged with the game enough to respond immediately. I don't buy that you needed my Hot Takes, specifically, on the worst day for them.

Not everything is about you, though I grant you this post is. Not everyone knows or cares about your stance on new players. It's been quite a while since I regularly binged mafia threads; I don't know your meta anymore. I don't know why anyone would be expected to have an opinion about your meta, regardless of their state of connectivity to the mafia group here as a whole. I just came back to this, I don't know what's Important anymore. Or what's important to comment on. Like, do I think it's a stupid policy to hold? I don't think it's smart, but I also wouldn't comment about it unless it became relevant, like the new player was about to be hammered or something. Especially I don't think it's reasonable for me to have a fully formed opinion on this on the first day. After more datapoints exist, sure, maybe I will think it is definitely stupid and anti-town. But not right now. It's a null for me. I don't get any info from that.

It's later than I'd like and you're not worth any more of my time right now.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Roydrowsy posted:

Yes, the timing was “convenient” but they have also been posting in the thread more than several other people.

The timing was more than convenient, it was outright terrible: obviously checking the thread for updates, but holding back on commenting on anything except to defend themselves, that's massively scummy.

If you read TO's subsequent posts, he actually highlights a couple of things and expresses an opinion about them. So there was stuff to comment on, he just chose not to.

That's not lurking because you're not present, that's lurking because you don't want your head above the parapet.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

textbookOrigins posted:

I don't buy that you needed my Hot Takes, specifically, on the worst day for them.

I think you're deliberately missing my point.

You specifically said that nothing had happened. I disagree, I think plenty happened that you could have commented on, and I posit that you chose not to. You stated that you were having no trouble in seeing the activity in your bookmarked thread, but you only decided to participate when you were called out, and you did so instantly.

I don't care about your hot takes in general terms, but in specific ones: I care that you were unwilling to contribute when you were clearly reading along and paying attention. That speaks of a scummy motivation to your actions, namely that you are defensive about attacks because you are interested in slef-preservation, but not interested in advancing the cause of the town.

Your subsequent actions have done nothing but cement my opinion that you are more interested in maintaining your own image than you are in helping the town win the game.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Man. Sure is quiet in here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Textbook got riled up there real quick, would vote.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Scientastic (3): sandnavyguy, Scientastic, Scientastic, textbookOrigins, Roydrowsy
Somberbrero (2): Tommu, Spokes
Spokes (2): dmboogie, IllegallySober, Scientastic, Scientastic, Somberbrero, IllegallySober
textbookOrigins (1): Roydrowsy, Scientastic, Roydrowsy
dmboogie (0): Spokes, Spokes
sandnavyguy (0): Scientastic, Scientastic

Not Voting (1): IllegallySober

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 15th, 2020 at 12:15 a.m. EDT -- that's in about 10 hours, 50 minutes.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Somberbrero posted:

Textbook got riled up there real quick, would vote.

Honestly agree. My rule of thumb is lurker and Grand Performances are D1 targets and Text seems to be quite animated today.

##vote Textbook Origins

Although it is getting close to deadline in ~10 hours, and somber reticence to change their vote if they think Text is a good fit makes me... uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Nice lip service. Maybe post more. Or wait, that might feel forced? Opportunistic of you, though.