Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm going to take this really seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Whatup who wants to play some normal rear end mafia?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Scientastic the last game we played together was five years ago, how can you possibly still be a baby?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Scientastic is pinging me a little bit for trying hard this early but also I don't think it's productive to vote out engaged players. All this said with the obvious caveat that it's less than 24 hours in.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Tommu posted:

This post lacks conviction and dances around actually doing something.

"Dang scientastic is pinging me but (bob Katter croc moment) I'm not gonna do anything about it because hes poasting."

##vote somberbrero

Of course I lack conviction, I said as much in my post. The goal was to start conversation and I did.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Why does it take two posts to decide if you want to vote me tommu? It's not like you're hammering.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Scientastic posted:

Spokes sees a potential move here to Somber, wants to put down a marker but doesn’t want to vote just in case he’s misread it

Haha I didn't even notice that he didn't put down a vote. ##vote Spokes

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
They played survivor, it's fiiiine.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

IllegallySober posted:

Where has Scientastic been “trying hard” as of your post? Everything so far seems like standard jokephase stuff.

Sure, and it is, but they were the most active in trying to start the game up.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Tommu posted:

If he had actually cared about leaving vote day and pushing the game he would not have posted so hesitantly

Nuhuh.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Textbook got riled up there real quick, would vote.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

sandnavyguy posted:

Honestly agree. My rule of thumb is lurker and Grand Performances are D1 targets and Text seems to be quite animated today.

##vote Textbook Origins

Although it is getting close to deadline in ~10 hours, and somber reticence to change their vote if they think Text is a good fit makes me... uncomfortable.

Spokes is my first choice and a good vote. 10 hours is a lot of time, people should start checking in as we get closer. I'm going to vote the person I most think is scum, but if that becomes impossible I'm willing to switch to Text.

Sorry I haven't been more active btw. Work has been nuts with us getting wave after wave backordered shipments and my own game is taking up a lot more time than I thought it would.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

people should start checking in as we get closer.

Or not. What's up folks?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

It's almost like they're coasting! What? Weird how I see Spokes around now and saw Tommu around last night, and yet neither of them have chimed in! (I think I said I wouldn't do the online checking thing but it's actually difficult to ignore that information.) I'd still love to hear anything at all from dmboogie.

Wait am I responding too quickly??? Should I wait thirty minutes?

I think it's disingenuous to throw shade on tommu and spokes when you're voting scientastic, but it does make me think. Would you vote spokes instead? I really am not buying the scientastic case.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

I mean, at this point I do think Scientastic would ping town if investigated, but I don't think it'd be because he's town. Spokes hasn't been present and I'd rather go after a lurker; I do not have enough information to judge Spokes's reactions as town or scum. I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to move my vote there.

textbookOrigins posted:

I don't trust how quiet Spokes has been after getting the least bit of attention.

I don't know what to think about Somberbrero's vote for Spokes.

I don't think there's enough information there to vote Spokes.

I have a difficult time rationalizing how you express suspicion of Spokes, but reiterate your hesitation to vote him due to a lack of compelling information.

Also, this is an internet party game. If you want to get aggro about participation, we can all shout and yell and have a bad time, or we could just not and be cool little buddies hanging out and having a good time and talking past each other.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

IllegallySober posted:

Scientastic: has toned down the aggression just a smidge from last game I played with him

Lol really? How is that possible?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Tommu posted:

This is a good post tho the way Scientastic is trying to portray how I voted is disengenious and boring.

I think the way you vote is very brave and important

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
It feels very much like there's no real consensus here and we're just going to slouch towards textbook bc he's abrasive. Which, I mean whatever, but I'm increasingly less confident in it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah like, it's a nine player game, there's not a lot of room to hide. And honestly I think pretty much everyone is doing like, okay?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

Stoked for this lurker's take.

Okay lol you can't complain about people not posting and then call them out for lurking when they literally just posted

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

So ... posting is... bad?

I mean, depends on the person posting

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I mean what else do we want to say. No one is going to move to spokes and I don't see any other candidates that are good moves today.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

So, uh, do you have anything to say about how scumhunter extraordinaire sandnavyguy is going to come for you after I flip town? (Unless he's doing a good scum game.) Or how Spokes has backed off of you but you haven't backed off of Spokes? To be clear -- you still feel Spokes is scum?

Correct.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Spokes posted:

This is a weird post: accusing somebody and then...not. like, if he's scummy then vote him, don't keep him around because he posts (everyone is posting) and especially don't immediately walk it back. I feel like Scientastic is trying to get the game moving (because it's boring rn and everybody is cautious on day 1), not just... "trying hard". I don't think your reasoning is super scummy or anything, but at least back it up with a vote. not like you're hammering here.

This is more than just hesitation, it's contradiction. Spokes does the exact thing he threw shade at me for. When do people contradict themselves? When they're lying.

Spokes posted:

Yeah, I was mostly just saying it seemed weird to me and looking for clarification in case I didn't understand something. Didn't want to jump into a vote before getting an explanation, but it seems like it was just... suspicious on purpose? i'm sure this is a tenth-level play i'll grow to understand as i play more mafia, but it doesn't make any sense to me and nobody's cluing me in, so might as well put a vote behind my suspicions.

##unvote

##vote Somberbrero

Spokes is motivated by external pressure to vote me, manufacturing a poor reason after the fact.

Spokes posted:

I feel like I've got some bias regarding the sci-text stuff because i feel like sci went after me initially on a flimsy case so it's easy to read that he's doing the same to text. But at the same time it does seem like Text responded to it in a much more defensive way and that led it to escalate. I definitely want to hear more from boogie and tommu, especially since i've got a jokevote from boogie on me and he hasn't looked at changing that at all.

That said, I appreciate how fast this game is going and I'll be posting more often, it's much more fast-paced that survivor was. First game, but at the same time i'm not using it as an excuse. i'll be around and engaged through deadline tonight

This post says nothing.

Spokes posted:

My vote is still on somber as well, to be fair. But I think that was much more early D1 stuff (from my end at least) and I’m comfortable unvoting him at this point

##unvote Somberbrero

This unvote is performative.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

I definitely feel as though I am talking past people here! I'm... also aggro about people coasting. Most mafia games have the strict "ten post per day" thing going on -- or at least most of the ones I've looked at! So yeah, I'm salty about participating when it seems like I'd be helping town more by being silent, since that is not disincentivized here. Yeah, totally missed this post due to some childish image reactions, my bad.

everyone besides boogie is above 10 posts. relax.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

Oh! Also gently caress you for rolefishing, IllegallySober.

in what way?????????

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

I -- that -- ... that doesn't mean anything. Right? It's definitely not a call to go after someone with this in their avtext, that's absurd. (But the thought did occur; dumb or not you're welcome to it.) Nope, still in jokephase here and he's posting to be posting. 's cool.

Jessica McClure Morales (born March 26, 1986; also known as "Baby Jessica" in 1987[1]) fell into a well in her aunt's backyard in Midland, Texas on October 14, 1987, at the age of 18 months. Between that day and October 16, rescuers worked for 56 hours to free her from the 8-inch (20 cm) well casing 22 feet (6.7 m) below the ground.[1][2] The story gained worldwide attention (leading to some criticism as a media circus), and later became the subject of a 1989 ABC television movie Everybody's Baby: The Rescue of Jessica McClure.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
A lurker case on boogie does not make me feel much better about spokes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Spokes posted:

To expand on why i think this is so bad: It sets him up to come back once either Sci or Text is at hammer and drop the deciding vote without blatantly contradicting himself. And if he "comes back" when things have moved on to one or two other suspects, he can just claim "oh i went back and read it and i think they're both clean" and vote for the new target. It's not just lurking, it's lurking opportunistically

This is true in the hypothetical reality where scientastic was ever in danger of being flipped today. However, i can't see it as opportunistic when he was hardly ever in danger.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

Because I think Scientastic is Clearly Scum!

I think you're wrong. I've gone back and forth on you but scientastic was correct to push you as a candidate. Your reaction was disproportionate, which means you're either just a volatile/nervous town player as Roy said, or you're nervous scum. Town players have a responsibility to scum hunt and that's what scientastic did.

I get why you don't agree with that interpretation. That's fair. However, it would be helpful if you could try to understand where it's coming from. I don't mean to come across as patronizing or condescending, I just think there's some miscommunication happening.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Tommu posted:

I really dont like this post. While yes people are above the minimum posts, it doesn't automatically equal actual content.

Lol obviously not, we're having a conversation about lurking day loving one instead of actually posting content. Barely anyone commented on my spokes case.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

textbookOrigins posted:

This buffoon thinks it can help with bussing.

I don't think it's a good enough case! I'm sorry!

Okay I tried ##vote textbookOrigins

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
this does feel like it sucks but v0v

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Sober is an odd choice. I don't like Scientastic being absent around deadline. Tommu feels town.

##vote Spokes

Can we vote this turkey out now that they've had a day to play?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I see Spokes is no longer voting dmboogie, why is he trying so hard to protect him???

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

IllegallySober posted:

Somber’s point on Spokes doing what he accused Somber of themselves is interesting. I can see something there.

Hmmmm

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Roydrowsy posted:

Spokes feels a little bit like Textbook 2.
They make an obvious and convenient target coming into into day two (as sorts the second place favorite).

The problem is... as Textbook shows... when people come in and don’t know what they are done, it quickly comes off as scummy.

Spokes is weird and defensive. Definitely worth keeping an eye on. Somber - how do you think Spokes’s weird defensive play fits with with Illegal night kill?

If I were going to ascribe meaning to it, I would say that I was too obvious a NK choice and instead Spokes ganked someone willing to listen. That said, night kill spec has limits.

Think about this, Spokes climbed down off me, but I remained consistent in voicing my suspicion through the end of the day. Today, Spokes wants to vote me. What changed? He came in locked and loaded with a case prepped in response to me voting him.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

sandnavyguy posted:

On my way back from work, but I’ll do a re read of D1 in light of the flips. Looks like text really was just too defensive too quickly, but I think with as much as that was the centerpoint of discussion we can start bunching people up into possible scum pairs. Spokes is back In The hot seat but I’m a bit more concerned with somber and Roy, same as I was yesterday. Unfortunately I think NK spec won’t give us much D1, but at least IS was VT. Losing our tracker hurts though

This summary says very little. Why Roy and I again? It's strange to connect us both line that when we haven't been on the same page really.

Kinda need other people to check in to make this work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Text absolutely didn't have to be the pick, I feel like the reluctance to consider him is in part scum taking advantage of town apathy.