Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I will sign up for a short, small, silly mafia game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Tommu posted:

Illegallysober.

IS.

Also: Islamic State.

##vote illegallysober

I am a toddler, I know not of what you speak.

Spokes posted:

Wow, I thought you were joking at first since it’s just day 1 but I guess you should stick to it when you make a

Syrias Accusation

Boooooooooo ##vote Spokes

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

sandnavyguy posted:

Sleeping, as a baby should be in my time zone! Does seem a bit slow though.

I didn’t get a nap yesterday so I slept in today. Naps are important.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Somberbrero posted:

Scientastic is pinging me a little bit for trying hard this early but also I don't think it's productive to vote out engaged players. All this said with the obvious caveat that it's less than 24 hours in.

Where has Scientastic been “trying hard” as of your post? Everything so far seems like standard jokephase stuff.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Roydrowsy posted:

##vote textbook origins

Come join us at any time!

I fixed this vote in VF.

##unvote

Nothing has pinged me yet besides Somber’s weird comment about Sci trying hard. Gun to my head, I’d vote here, but let’s see what develops. Don’t make me throw out a Lumpen-style content game.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

Don’t make me throw out a Lumpen-style content game.

I’m starting to get tired and hungry and nap time is close. gently caress it.

Scientastic, of the players in the game, who would you:
- Doc
- Mason
- Vig?

Tommu, same question to you.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Scientastic posted:

I’d vig you for asking this question

Rude, but thanks for playing along anyway.

Scientastic posted:

##Vote TextbookOrigins

This is someone who is just checking the thread for mentions of themself, there was plenty to comment on

It was an awfully fast reply. I don’t necessarily agree that there was lots to comment on, but the engagement itself felt a little forced on TO’s part. You might have something here.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Scientastic posted:

What did Textbook think of my case against Spokes? Don’t know, no comment

What did Textbook think of the fact I immediately retracted? Don’t know, no comment

I thought these two at least were relatively straightforward in appearance- you cased and then immediately withdrew since he was a new player, I assume you’re giving them leeway on D1 and I don’t quite know what you expect in terms of a comment on that. You do make a point on the Tommu stuff though, I guess.

It’s midnight here on a work night so I’m headed to bed, but I’ll take another look at your line of thinking in the morning.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I reread Sci’s line of attack on TO. I think the second reaction after I went to bed tonight is actually worse than the first one. I have personal experience with Sci from a couple games ago regarding bad D1 cases, so I’m well aware Sci can be aggressive, but the defense by TO here is over-the-top even by my standards and reads to me like scum frustrated at being cased for the wrong reasons.

##vote TextbookOrigins

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I would like to hear more from Tommu and dmboogie, among others.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

textbookOrigins posted:

Scientastic doesn't have a case, he has a target. Also, it's ridiculous of you to want engagement and then say it feels forced. If I'm :justpost:ing, it is going to be forced, especially on day one.

I don’t think wanting to hear more from players and then judging the tone of the comments they make are mutually exclusive ideas.

Apart from Sci, who do you feel is scum? Just the lurkers you mentioned?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

textbookOrigins posted:

Did Tommu ever respond to your questions? Or was it safe enough to just ignore them?

Assuming this is directed at me, no, Tommu did not respond to my content game.

textbookOrigins posted:

I mean, at this point I do think Scientastic would ping town if investigated, but I don't think it'd be because he's town.

I don’t know how to interpret this. He’d investigate as town but not because he’s town?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Regarding deadline tonight: I have an evening meeting tonight that *should* end about 8:30 PST so I should be able to check in about 40 minutes before deadline, but I’ll be gone from 6 PM until that time, so if I’m quiet leading up to deadline this evening, that is why.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

textbookOrigins posted:

What's a godfather?

Ah, okay. Still, that’s a pretty bold assertion to make D1 in a small game before we have any results on anything at all?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Here’s where I’m at right now from a quick check of the player list:

Town

Me, obviously

Leaning Town

Scientastic: has toned down the aggression just a smidge from last game I played with him where he was super aggro and also scum. I’ve liked the thought behind his cases for the most part, he’s asking the right questions in my book.

Roydrowsy: light on posts compared to some, but tone and thought seem genuine so far

Null (mostly due to lack of posting)

dmboogie
sandnavyguy
Spokes
Tommu

Leaning Scum

TextbookOrigins: don’t like the defensive reaction to Sci’s case as stated, has continued to dig in

Somber: Didn’t like the opening comment about Sci, although I like TO as a better vote for now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Somberbrero posted:

Lol really? How is that possible?

I’m willing to say a small piece of it is probably because it isn’t directed at me this time. But if you go back and read D1 of the Karen game and compare it to this one, I think there’s a difference. I didn’t say Sci wasn’t aggro... just slightly less so. :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Well, at least people are posting now.

Roydrowsy posted:

I am reticent to vote.

The issue isn't just the joke post thing, but the fact that my joke post was wrong, a stupid. I posted this.

Maybe an hour after their most recent post. The plan was to call out a random lurker by picking somebody who hadn't cast a vote on anybody yet... and I chose fairly stupidly.

It would make sense that Textbook replied right away, as I was being dumb. Anybody who looked over that situation again would have seen it, which is why my vote is on Scientastic. Granted, Textbook hasn't done much to help themselves since then.

so many new posts.. need to get caught up again...

I don’t think anyone is voting or considering voting TO at this juncture because you prodded them to post. It’s everything that happened after that.

I’m going to get into setup spec (which isn’t usually great on D1, but in a small game I don’t think is so bad). Considering 9 players, I can’t imagine we have more than 2 scum. Three scum with a misdunk and a NK makes D2 MYLO, which doesn’t seem balanced at all. This is part of the reason why I think TO is so defensive about gathering votes, because either he has the best town role in history or he’s part of a very small scum team.

Having said that, the best route to take for him as town would be this one:

sandnavyguy posted:

Text, if you are town, and you overstepped, I’d say your best bet is to quickly move on, switch tactics and find a better case because rn we basically have everything thing tying back to you. If you are scum, keep on carrying on.

But he’s so far chosen not to do so.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

textbookOrigins posted:

Oh! Also gently caress you for rolefishing, IllegallySober.

That wasn’t an attempt to rolefish. I didn’t ask you to confirm or deny anything. All I’m trying to do is think through the possible motivations for you to be behaving the way you are.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Somber’s point on Spokes doing what he accused Somber of themselves is interesting. I can see something there.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

textbookOrigins posted:

I think you presented it as an either-or, implying that there's no way I'd be reacting this way as vanilla town.

I suppose you could interpret it that way, although that really wasn’t the point or the intention. I think it’s far, far more likely that you’re this defensive because you’re going to flip as scum on a small team. Whatever you choose to confirm or deny or discuss about your role is up to you, although like your defensiveness over everything else, the bigger deal you make of it, the more attention you’re drawing to it/yourself.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

textbookOrigins posted:

If I had anyone else talking to me in a side channel, I am sure they would have told me how better to react.

This is, admittedly, a small point in your favor.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

To expand on why i think this is so bad: It sets him up to come back once either Sci or Text is at hammer and drop the deciding vote without blatantly contradicting himself. And if he "comes back" when things have moved on to one or two other suspects, he can just claim "oh i went back and read it and i think they're both clean" and vote for the new target. It's not just lurking, it's lurking opportunistically

The first piece of this I agree with but the second is a bit of a bridge too far for me. Speaking for myself, I’d still expect an opinion on the Sci/TO discussion whether or not DMB chose to vote that direction. I do think though that potentially DMB is waiting to vote without being challenged much, or at all, on it. That’s not good and thus I would much prefer we hear sooner from them rather than later.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

FYI, I’m going to be preparing for my 6 PM meeting from here out so my participation from now till ~40 minutes before deadline will be spotty at best, but I’ll check/reply as I can.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Votecount for Day 1

textbookOrigins (3): Roydrowsy, Scientastic, Roydrowsy, sandnavyguy, IllegallySober, Tommu, Tommu
Scientastic (2): sandnavyguy, Scientastic, Scientastic, textbookOrigins, Roydrowsy, sandnavyguy
dmboogie (1): Spokes, Spokes, Spokes
Spokes (1): dmboogie, IllegallySober, Scientastic, Scientastic, Somberbrero, IllegallySober, dmboogie
Somberbrero (0): Tommu, Spokes, Tommu, Spokes
sandnavyguy (0): Scientastic, Scientastic

Not Voting (2): dmboogie, Tommu

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 15th, 2020 at 12:15 a.m. EDT -- that's in about 4 hours, 7 minutes.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Woof. Not a good performance for town this game. Fun game, though, thanks for running it!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

So, did Scientastic really receive nighttime flavor as a VT for a rolecop check? That seems... somewhat strange.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

sandnavyguy posted:

That’s pretty much literally my entire false “aha!” Moment.

I would have gone Roy first today for softclaiming a PR and living the night after the doctor was dunked, but I probably wouldn’t have been able to avoid dunking Sci in three-person LYLO for that claim.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

nope! and that's what drove me crazy. Because roy didn't rolecop me N2 (obviously), he checked Somber, and Somber didn't get any sort of flavor apparently. Sci got a message because Tommu did a night action, I think?

Tommu was VT too though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

ilmucche posted:

I miiiiiight've messed up on that one and let tommu (baby spice) sing a song to another baby because I thought it'd be fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JD6ejmlpa8
Was desperately hoping the tommu flip would clear that and we could all forget it ever happened :(

I'm sorry for the confusion :(

Ohhhhh, okay. Yeah, that probably should have been indicated in Tommu’s flip at least then. Flipping Tommu as VT makes that real hard to follow. :)