Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

"Welcome to the Underground Wrestling Federation! We are an ILLEGAL fighting ring where combatants fight in a secluded location. Our fights are brutal, our competitors are bloodthirsty and our spectators are always baying for blood! Do you have what it takes to rise up the ranks and take your place as the champion?"

Or at least that's what the leaflets tell you. In actuality, the UWF is a perfectly legal wrestling promotion operating in the (fictional) city of New Alexandria, Florida, that puts an emphasis on athleticism, strong-style wrestling sprinkled with just a little bit of hardcore, along with storylines mostly centred around feuds, callouts and kayfabe hostility between the wrestlers. With a small but dedicated local fanbase, the main venue for the promotion is a (relatively) tiny basement under The Frigatebird, a well known bar and grill, although the promotion also hires the New Alexandria Hall when it does its big once-a-year shows.

Do you have what it takes to catch the eye of the fans while still managing to stay clear of backstage politics? Will you become the next Underground Wrestling Champion? All this and more will be revealed in our next show..

The Game

World Wide Wrestling is a Powered by the Apocalypse game in which players take the role of wrestlers within a promotion.The interesting thing about the rules is that you will all play a dual role: both as the wrestler himself and his gimmick, and the seperation of the two is an important factor within the game.The game itself encourages a level of Player vs Player combat that is usually missing from many story games, and the dichotomy of playing two interlinked characters is something really novel. Although knowledge of wrestling does help when playing this game, it's not 100% necessary, and I've seen people with little knowledge of the business enjoy the game as well.

The Rules

We will be using the latest 2nd edition rules and playbooks for WWW, which can be found here. Second edition has some changes from the first edition of the game: I think most of them are for the better, although I haven't had a chance to try most of them out. The flow of the game is unchanged from the 1st edition version of the game, although some of the playbooks have been cut.

This Game

This game will be primarily played on the Traditional Games discord. In terms of timing, the game will be played asynch, with players free to schedule specific matches if necessary.

Applying to the game

I will be looking for at most 6 players to join this game. Please apply by picking one of the playbook and following character creation as per the playbook, with these additional details:

- Real Name
- Look both in and out of the ring.
- What your in-ring gimmick is.
- Your personality both in and out of the ring.

The template included within the link to the rules is what we are going to use to keep track of your character, so feel free to make a copy of it and amend it for your character.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Zoie Silva, the Fighter

In her ring persona, Zoie Silva is a take-no-prisoners madwoman who was kicked out of UFC for being too much of a fight junkie. While certainly a heel, her heelish offenses tend more towards low-blows and running in on unrelated matches than weapon use. Her moveset is largely strike and submission based, though she's been working in some big hoss throws and grapples to lean-in on being one of the most physically imposing fighters in UWF. Her finisher is the Devil's Triangle, a figure-four body lock into rear naked choke that wins via referee stoppage. Her ring attire is a pretty standard MMA outfit, though her fans are always looking to see which fake brand is sponsoring Zoie this show.

Off-camera, however, Iria Santos is a tremendous sweetheart. She came to UWF via the bodybuilding circuit, so she's been working with some of the talent backstage to optimize their gains and maximize their in-ring impact. She generally tends towards fashionably-cut suits, unless she's working with someone in the gym.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 4, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I haven't played this game before but it looks really cool. I haven't read the rule book yet but I've seen a group play it once so I have a vague idea of how it works.

Winter McKee, the Manager.

Hailing from: Melbourne, Australia (just because that's where I live IRL and it doesn't seem important?)
Entrance: Walking into Battle with the Lord
Body: -1
Look: +3
Real: 0
Work: -2
Audience: +1
Role: Heel
Want: Lead a Group!
Moves: Meal Ticket; Mouthpiece; Loyal.

Look: See above (stolen from https://kattyhaven.cgsociety.org/tcxw/cyberpunk-character).
Gimmick: Not sure exactly what this means?
Personality: Exuberant when winning or in control of the situation, panicky and hypercritical when losing or when things don't go to plan.

I think that's all the stuff I need to pick at the moment? I'll copy it into the template if/when I actually start playing and everything's finalised.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Vic Johnson, the Moral Authority

Hailing From: Coral Gables, Florida (Reality: Chicago, IL)
Entrance: Haven't found a specific piece. Something conservative and condescending. Something that would be played in a megachurch.
Gimmick: Morality Crusader
Role: Clown Heel
Current Want: To Overshadow the Main Event!
Look: +2
Body: -2
Real: +1
Work: 0
Personality: Think Jack Thompson, but hell-bent on shutting down wrestling. Over-the-top and almost abusive to other wrestlers. Constantly threatening the audience with moral condemnation, filled with righteous indignation, and trying schemes of various sorts to "shut down" the venue for being an illegal, immoral fighting ring that is shredding the moral fiber of America
Look: Wears suits when doing promos, transition-lenses in his horn-rim glasses, plaid ties. In the ring, he basically looks like Irwin R. Schyster, but without the suspenders.

Look: Average dad clothes. Big-time Bulls fan, has an old ratty hat from the 90s that he refuses to part with.
Personality: Easy-going joker, willing to look foolish for a laugh which led him to this ridiculous gimmick.

Moral Authority is the heel that everyone loves watching getting his rear end handed to him. He's loud, he's bombastic, he's good at getting himself into trouble. He threatens lawsuits, and insists that he's going to petition for this illegal den of ill repute to finally be shut down. He plays a lot of dirty tricks, as well. His ring attire consists of a dress shirt and pants, and he regularly uses his belt as a weapon if he's losing a match, much to the chagrin of the crowd. He has threatened to sue the referees when they interfere, as well. His promos regularly go off the rails, as he can be set off by almost anything and anyone.

In contrast, Dave Harrison, the performer who plays Vic Johnson, is a pretty laid-back guy. He tells corny dad jokes, and doesn't pay much attention to his clothes these days. He's not overly concerned with fame or money, in fact mostly he just wants to make people laugh. He's always been the guy who is willing to make himself the butt of a joke to get a cheap reaction, and that's been his single greatest skill. He's actually a pretty hard worker, and he's not a bad wrestler. He's fairly good at making himself enough of a thorn in the side of the faces that they have to devote energy to him, making it all the more satisfying when Vic gets his comeuppance. That said, he's always been a mid-card guy. He knows he'll never be the champion with a toxic gimmick like this - and that's not really what he's after anyway - but he'd make do with getting the biggest reaction of the night, just once.

Lager fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 6, 2020

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Valxis Ravenblood, the Hardcore

Hailing From: Salem, MA (more like Seattle, WA, but y'know)
Entrance: Dark Entries
Gimmick: Blood Witch
Personality: Manic, out for blood sacrifices, has a very distinctive laugh
Look: As above, sheds the coat in the ring for a simple pentagram-adorned singlet

Look: Clean and simple, T-shirts and long skirts, half-rim glasses.
Personality: Calm, mostly trying to keep out of trouble. Reads on her Kindle rather than engage in conversation, especially with some of the roster.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 4, 2020

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I haven't played this game before but it looks really cool. I haven't read the rule book yet but I've seen a group play it once so I have a vague idea of how it works.

Winter McKee, the Manager.

Hailing from: Melbourne, Australia (just because that's where I live IRL and it doesn't seem important?)
Entrance: Walking into Battle with the Lord
Body: -1
Look: +3
Real: 0
Work: -2
Audience: +1
Want: Lead a Group!
Moves: Meal Ticket; Mouthpiece; Loyal.

Look: See above (stolen from https://kattyhaven.cgsociety.org/tcxw/cyberpunk-character).
Gimmick: Not sure exactly what this means?
Personality: Exuberant when winning or in control of the situation, panicky and hypercritical when losing or when things don't go to plan.

I think that's all the stuff I need to pick at the moment? I'll copy it into the template if/when I actually start playing and everything's finalised.
Gimmick was more meant to represent you look and feel in the ring, but I think it's actually covered by the other categories. If you are going to be manager, it will also be likely that you'll need to come up with an NPW to manage as well, but we can worry about that later.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Working on something, either Technician or Luchador.

------

Guittarista Jr, the Luchador

Hailing From: San Jerónimo, Mexico
Theme: Bad Luck - Social Distortion

Wants: Adulation of the Crowd!
Role: Technico

Stats: Body 0, Look 0, Real -1, Work 1

Moves: Finishing Move, El Hijo De..., Tradicional

Finisher: Finale (Springboard DDT)

Gimmick and Look: Guittarista Jr is the third generation of Guittarista, grandson of the original Guittarista, son of El Hijo De Guittarista. The Guittaristas are most known as travelling technicos, jumping from promotion to promotion to right the wrongs set by the local rudos. Each one has come up with their own style, and Junior decided to go more of a modern take compared to the more traditional looks of his namesake, sticking with an offbeat rockabilly look while keeping his family's traditional acoustic guitar on his back to the ring. Still growing in the ring, he decided to strike out on his own outside of Mexico. UWF was a perfect spot to step up to a new challenge. An absolute showman above anything else, he's trying to create a new legend of the Guittarista on his own, in his own way.

Outside of the ring, Arturo Mendoza (name definitely not shared without good reason, goes by Tuto even backstage) is a man trying to figure out where he belongs in the pro wrestling world. Knowing that lucha is changing in Mexico and everything around him isn't quite what it was, he's trying to step into the future. His relationship with his father is tense, and Tuto is very careful about what he does in the ring as far as his mask and identity goes.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 6, 2020

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

(pic taken from https://www.artstation.com/grazeart)

KUMA Arashi, the Monster

Hailing from: Kabukichō, Tokyo (Reality: He's genuinely from Tokyo, just a more boring residential area.)
Entrance: Takao
Gimmick: Yakuza tough guy
Personality: Relentless fighter. Has a code of honor, won't use weapons in-ring unless provoked.
Look: Black trunks and tatoos.
Role: In this promotion, he might as well be a face.

Look: Fond of tailored clothes, given his size.
Personality: Generally politely baffled both by America and the locker room's idiosyncracies. Easygoing, likes to treat himself.

LupusAter fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 6, 2020

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Before Tuesday, here are some of the Non-Player Wrestlers that are gonna join you in the promotion. I'll be posting a couple each day. I'll try to keep to a one heel, one face schedule. Btw, the current shakeout is that we have 4 heels and two faces: it shouldn't be a problem although I don't want a situation where there's only one PC face on the roster.

Faisan (Courtesy of LupusAter): A heel wrestler from the storied Consejo Del Cielo, a promotion in Mexican in which all of the wrestlers are bird-themed luchadors. Faisan (pheasant in spanish) is a highly flamboyant heel, who lives to push the envelope and make a fool of his opponent, although not in a lovable way. He also tends to run away in a panic at the barest signal that he's meeting serious opposition, and his cowardly anthics always draw boos from the crowd. His in-ring attire is a green and red mask and a cape of feathers, although the rest of his attire is pretty standard luchador fare.

Dr Mal Practice: A face wrestler, Mal is a well-respected wrestler from the Indie circuit. Her persona is as a doctor, and sher usually enters the ring with a stethoscope, lab coat and other accruaments of doctors. She kind of fits the protector role, and she'll be the first one to come out when someone is being unfairly beaten on by a bigger group, although sometimes she'll help heels as if they have been beaten badly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

And another for today, this is actually a cross-over character from my own WWW session.

Prisoner 46: A huge wrestler, she had previously been part of Virtus Pro Wrestling in Union City. Playing currently as a heel, she strikes fear on all who face her due to her size. Big, built like a rugby player. Huge arms (from breaking rocks). Muscular, but not the way a bodybuilder is; the way those people that pull tractors with their teeth are. The head is shaven, and her eyes are ice cold. She has 46 tattooed on both arms.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

One other thing I forgot: can everyone who hasn't already tell me their finishers? Ideally with some cool alternative name to the move.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

More NPWs!

Kid Vander: The Kid is a face that is basically a personification of the "new kid on the block" gimmick. Fresh-faced, honourable and always standing up for his friends and what he believes is right, the Kid is here to prove that you don't need to resort to low-level tricks and dirty blows in order to make it in the UWF. He comes to the ring in in usual atire of spandex leggings, each enblozoned with "KID V" on their sides. He's fit and of average height, with a permanent smirk on his face and his customary high-and-tight haircut.

Tony "The Breaker" Ferrara: Tony was one of the wrestlers from the original UWF lineup when the promotion first started. Originally billed as a heel Mafia hitman, Tony was soon beloved by the UWF faithfuls, and during his long career had many turns, although currently he's performing as a face. He still comes into the ring with his usual suit, tie and fedora, although since he is quite a bit more mascular now than when he debuted, it looks a bit silly on him now. Is probably due for retirement in a couple of years, or at least a more sedate role than his top-card billing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

More NPWs!

Royston Stanton: Through a weird naming process by the fans, Royston's nickname is alternatively "The Uncle" or "Uncle Roy". A face hailing from the UK, Roy delights in twisting people into pretzels and his relatively diminutive size means that he's often underestimated by his opponents, until he's managed to get a lock in so tight that the only thing they can do is tap out. An experienced wrestler, Roy wasn't one of the original wrestlers of the UWF but has made himself a fan favourite thanks to his prowess in the ring.

Lucifer's Lot Motorcycle Club: The LLMC is a heel stable currently headed by the Lot sister's Lucille and Lillith. The LLMC attempted (and is currently attempting) a takeover of the UWF through fair means and foul. The two sisters make their way to the stage in biker gear and (if the venue allows), on top of their motorcycles: they also have a gaggle of jobbers and goons that tag along with them and interfere with any matches that the two sisters are in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think we have a pretty solid roster, so let's get things started. I've created a document with the roster that hopefully should have all the information required to play this.

First order of business is to start asking questions. To give everyone a chance to chip in, we'll do it player by player, starting with Zoie Silva.