Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Free Gratis posted:

Primary Hard drive: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4

One of the rarer, but possible, causes of your issue is if the SSD garbage collection algorithms fail. I've seen this more than once - the SSD is otherwise healthy, but doesn't do automated background garbage collection and TRIM functions during idle time. I don't know what causes it - hardware, firmware, no idea. But when it happens, it will manifest in exactly this way. The underlying reason is that the SSD reaches the end of its writable blocks, then the entire system freezes in place while the SSD performs an on the spot garbage collection routine to open up new blocks. This can happen even if the drive is only partially full because wear-leveling algorithms make sure the entire storage space of the drive is written to evenly.

Example: Samsung Magician shows my drive has a total of 2 TB written so far. It's a 500 GB drive which means so far the entire area of the drive has been written to 4 times over, even though the drive is 70% free space. So if I had the problem I described above, the next time my system writes hit the last usable block, the system would freeze waiting on the AHCI controller, while the drive freed up a few more blocks. Then the system would be perfectly fine for a time, until the next time the drive needs empty blocks.

I have a few SSDs I've set aside with this problem, which are OK for unimportant storage and otherwise stable, but make for a lousy OS drive. I've had good luck with the 860 EVO SATA drives, you've got a faster one but any SSD can have this problem. Have you checked the SSD firmware revision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU