Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Does Vampire Hunter D count? The most sci-fi it gets despite the time period is energy looking guns. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is obviously sci-fi because it has laser beam auto defense turrets and rocketships for vampires to escape this lovely, non-romantic earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vampire Hunter D is hilarious since it's basically like a dozen apocalypses and a million years in the future where vampires are like LOTR elves slowly leaving the earth to live in space and human society is mostly 19th century but with cyborg horses and RVs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ending of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust being basically the idealized over emotional 19th century english nobleman throwing his hands up and saying "I shall mope forever, among the stars" and just takes a fully functional starship away from an earth where trains are still a cutting edge modern deal is just such fantastic whiplash.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 8, 2020

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK
It's not anime but if you don't know Exosquad you don't know the best animated sci-fi show of all time. The nuance and strangely adult themes to the conflict, the morals and horrors of war and politics, are bafflingly high brow for a show that was supposed to target children.

I mean, the first episode features insurgents essentially detonating an IED on the protagonist soldiers. Somebody has to love this with me.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Robotnik posted:

It's not anime but if you don't know Exosquad you don't know the best animated sci-fi show of all time. The nuance and strangely adult themes to the conflict, the morals and horrors of war and politics, are bafflingly high brow for a show that was supposed to target children.

I mean, the first episode features insurgents essentially detonating an IED on the protagonist soldiers. Somebody has to love this with me.

I never watched the whole thing, but I remember catching the odd episode (and repeats) once in awhile. But this was also 20+ years ago and I dont remember much more than "power armor is rad".

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Unfortunately only the first season is available on dvd last I checked, but I guarantee you it's worth tracking down. If you're so inclined, lemme know and I'd be happy to help out.

Same for anyone else.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Robotnik posted:

Unfortunately only the first season is available on dvd last I checked, but I guarantee you it's worth tracking down. If you're so inclined, lemme know and I'd be happy to help out.

Same for anyone else.

The first season is on Amazon Prime as well. I found a playlist on Daily Motion with what looks like the whole series but I don't want to link here it because I'm not sure if that counts as :filez:. If I'm wrong and a mod gives the okay then I'll post it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

On a similar note I remember the Battletech cartoon series being surprisingly good!

Intro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_-8D8R4CU

Youtube Guy Explains The Show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tkyK6eUeYU

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Battletech is alright, but if you watch Exosquad I guarantee you'll feel it pales in comparison and just isn't as satisfying.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

if you haven't seen redline you owe it to yourself to sit down and watch the first 10 mins right this very moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLPdgcGPRg

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Obligatory more people should watch Legend of Galactic Heroes link.

Crest of the Stars and its sequel series Banner of the Stars I, II, and III are good sci-fi as well with an LOGH style feel. Crest follows a young teen who's planet gets invaded by space elves (the Humankind Empire of Abh), his father becomes a quisling and surrenders the planet in exchange for governorship, and his son gets sent off to join their new benefactor's navy.

This is one of the better battles in the two series, though as a warning its a minor spoiler. If anyone picks it up, I'd recommend the subtitled version.

Abh warships are all pretty unique looking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crest/Banner aren't half as good as Legend of Galactic Heroes but methadone isn't as good as the real stuff either, so you do what you can.

For some inexplicable reason Comcast's ondemand network had everyone of those series so I watched them all, thanks Comcast!

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I've only seen two anime shows and one of them is Aldnoah.Zero.

A breakaway faction of humanity goes to Mars, finds alien tech, and comes back to take over Earth. The main appeal of the show is that the Martians have access to god-like mechs which are seemingly invincible. It's up to the heroes and their one lovely training mech to deduce the Martian mechs weaknesses through science and observation, and destroy them.

It ran for 2 twelve episode seasons and got a proper ending.

Here the hero is fighting against a mech that freezes everything that gets in a certain radius of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8obMGyKgP5A

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 10, 2020

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Ego-bot posted:

I've only seen two anime shows and one of them is Aldnoah.Zero.

A breakaway faction of humanity goes to Mars, finds alien tech, and comes back to take over Earth. The main appeal of the show is that the Martians have access to god-like mechs which are seemingly invincible. It's up to the heroes and their one lovely training mech to deduce the Martian mechs weaknesses through science and observation, and destroy them.

It ran for 2 twelve episode seasons and got a proper ending.

Here the hero is fighting against a mech that freezes everything that gets in a certain radius of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8obMGyKgP5A

If you like Aldnoah Zero you might like Martian Successor Nadesico. Its a more comedy oriented show, but its got some similarities that I won't go into too much for spoiler reasons.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Barudak posted:

Does Vampire Hunter D count? The most sci-fi it gets despite the time period is energy looking guns. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is obviously sci-fi because it has laser beam auto defense turrets and rocketships for vampires to escape this lovely, non-romantic earth.

I think Vampire Hunter D absolutely counts, and furthermore want to someday rip it off as a setting for a role-playing game.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Uh anyway one of my favorite space opera series ever is Space Pirate Captain Harlock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgBOlg_xNcU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bogus Adventure posted:

Okay, this looks loving awesome

Space Dandy is amazing

My favourite is the episode where they dance until the universe collapses, and then dance some more

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Space Dandy is amazing

My favourite is the episode where they dance until the universe collapses, and then dance some more

I like the episode where they pull in all the different Dandy's and sidekicks from across the universes together

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

If you want science fiction animation you should really check out the very low key Royal Space Force. Gainax's first feature was a financial flop due to it's slow, methodical story and lack of any kind of toy-centric items within that could be marketed. It follows the story of a low-level soldier who is in a alternative reality's small European style kingdom who is part of the "Royal Space Force", a small branch of the military that is not really taken seriously by the Kingdom's government or the soldiers that are part of this force either. RSP is a very small, personal story happening around events that are very large.

Trigger warning, there is a scene where the protagonist sexually assaults the main female character. The movie was made in the late 1980s, so many of the characters and cultural attitudes are dated, but nonetheless if you want to see a thoughtful movie with incredible world building (every single object in this film was designed specifically to be realistic and useful in real world settings, but completely different from what you would see in reality, down to basic utensils) you should really have a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdYgZov_1uk

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If you want science fiction animation you should really check out the very low key Royal Space Force. Gainax's first feature was a financial flop due to it's slow, methodical story and lack of any kind of toy-centric items within that could be marketed. It follows the story of a low-level soldier who is in a alternative reality's small European style kingdom who is part of the "Royal Space Force", a small branch of the military that is not really taken seriously by the Kingdom's government or the soldiers that are part of this force either. RSP is a very small, personal story happening around events that are very large.

Trigger warning, there is a scene where the protagonist sexually assaults the main female character. The movie was made in the late 1980s, so many of the characters and cultural attitudes are dated, but nonetheless if you want to see a thoughtful movie with incredible world building (every single object in this film was designed specifically to be realistic and useful in real world settings, but completely different from what you would see in reality, down to basic utensils) you should really have a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdYgZov_1uk

Just finished this - it is an exceptionally beautiful movie, really every piece of architecture and material culture was enrapturing. Definitely some lagging scenes and a big drat yikes that you allude to. I liked the religious aspects of it, like the few people who took religion seriously felt like sincere versions of adult converts, including the 'being a little scary into it.'

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
If you watched Robotech way back when but got out of the habit, you owe it to yourself to check out Macross Plus.

Bonus! If you watch the dub, you get Bryan 'Walter White' Cranston as the protagonist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnJxoPQXJOQ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I absolutely love bloodlust, it is unapologetic Gothic romance. It's also the singular movie where I have the most animation cels, because every single one is basically a masterwork. People always add qualifiers when they say that they like this movie, but I don't. I just like the poo poo out of it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Both Vampire Hunter D movies are good fun

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

if you haven't seen redline you owe it to yourself to sit down and watch the first 10 mins right this very moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLPdgcGPRg

Fun fact! Redline is pretty much entirely hand drawn and took 7 effing years to make.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

This might be a little more mainstream, but I'm going to toss up Titan A.E. as a great Sci-Fi Animation movie. It was the last hurrah of Don Bluth's animation studios, and it was a loving powerhouse. Great story, great setting, great alien design, and great soundtrack.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

ITS MY TUUUUU-URN TO FLY

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cosmic Castaway is my fuckin' JAM

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

No screenshots, but despite the name, Bodacious Space Pirates was a pretty good sci-fi anime. The idea of space piracy being a form of entertainment for rich people on space cruise liners is endlessly funny to me. There's more to it than that, but it's a fun show. Sure there's some fanservice, but it's mostly of the 'cute girls doing cute things' variety.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It's a stretch but I think a valuable one:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!, known often as just "Eizouken" (and I don't know why it's never translated, 'the film club' is a perfectly fine and easy to understand concept), isn't really scifi itself but is about a team that makes scifi anime. A lot of the show's run time is about the decision making that goes into making a scifi concept and the compromises that get made both because of limitations on time and budget, as well as collaboration friction. It loving rules.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Hunter Noventa posted:

No screenshots, but despite the name, Bodacious Space Pirates was a pretty good sci-fi anime. The idea of space piracy being a form of entertainment for rich people on space cruise liners is endlessly funny to me. There's more to it than that, but it's a fun show. Sure there's some fanservice, but it's mostly of the 'cute girls doing cute things' variety.

You can't just throw that up here without posting a picture

I'm surprised that it looks rather tasteful instead of being filled with giant robo space titties

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

You can't just throw that up here without posting a picture

I'm surprised that it looks rather tasteful instead of being filled with giant robo space titties

Huh, didn't know there was a movie, at least that looks like a movie. But yeah, it's tasteful and cheerful fun for the most part. Like, the girl wearing the pirate coat over her school uniform is about the height of fanservice.

Well that, and the laser gun battle in the maid cafe that's in the first episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hunter Noventa posted:

what the gently caress do you mean despite the name

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tulip posted:

Planetes above all others.

Some anime are about heroes, towering characters who punch evil in the balls. Some are about outlaws, righting wrongs while down on their luck and fighting for a chance.

Planetes is about astronaut-janitors. They came to space with a dream to explore and push boundaries and be the first and greatest, and it turns out that somebody needs to clean up the poo poo made by the first and greatest. Sure, somebody's out there doing crazy poo poo, but what about the schmucks at the bottom of the corporate ladder trading their dream in for a lovely paycheck?

There's an entire episode about life insurance.

I know this is the animation thread but I thought the original manga for Planetes was 1000% better. It has a much tighter story focusing solely on the crew of the Toybox and doesn't completely put off the Tanabe/Hachi romance until the very end.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I'm also going to toss The Big O out there as an excellent sci-fi series. It has mecha, people reeling from group amnesia, wonderfully dramatic music, and beautiful animation by the same studio that did Batman: The Animated Series.

It also has very satisfying mecha combat:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

So, this is more of a dishonorable mention, but it's still funny:

Starchaser: The Legend of Orin

I saw part of this movie when I was a kid. The only thing I remembered about it were these weird parasites that latch onto the main character and suck his blood. They turn from pale white to dark red. I remember it because I was eating plums at the time, and I have a viscerally vivid imagination. Suddenly, I was eating the parasites. I couldn't eat plums for months afterwards because it my brain would dredge out that image if I even thought about them. It was the only thing I remembered about the clip, but it was enough for me to play internet detective and find this movie.

It's a terrible movie, but in an ambitiously weird space opera setting. There are cyborg scavengers who look for biological parts, and magical not-Force powers. That poo poo is my jam, so I'm a sucker for them (especially '80s Barbarian/Space Opera settings). It's close to being something interesting, but ends up being too convoluted to work.

It's also notable because the movie's Han Solo character sports a sassy bandana, and hacks a female robot by accessing her butt panel because that's not creepy at all.

:wow:

It also involves some 3D ship animation, hence the 3D.

PS: The movie is here on YouTube if you want to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2hpDVMl7bY

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With nothing better to do and because everyone else I know is building Gundam models and playing Gundam fighting games and now so am I I've been watching the Gundam films the owners put up on Youtube. They hold up pretty well!

The show itself, uh, doesn't

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Bogus Adventure posted:

So, this is more of a dishonorable mention, but it's still funny:

Starchaser: The Legend of Orin

I think the 3D refers to wearing 3D glasses in the theater.

Having said that.. It's not quite as bad as I remember it being. It's a shameless Star Wars ripoff and has questionable moments, but it wasn't painful to watch or anything.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm also going to toss The Big O out there as an excellent sci-fi series. It has mecha, people reeling from group amnesia, wonderfully dramatic music, and beautiful animation by the same studio that did Batman: The Animated Series.

It also has very satisfying mecha combat:

Been watching Big O lately, and the blatant Batman homages are endlessly amusing. And whoever was the guy to have a robot with giant loving pistons for arms- they are not being paid well enough.

I thought TMS handled Batman though? This is Sunrise. It's kinda cool they nailed the batman/art deco look, at times really looks like a western cartoon in the weirdest ways.

The guy who wrote Big O went on to write Serial Experiments Lain. You can... kinda tell; he fixates on certain topics

Also, watch Redline. loving hell Japan did that movie bad (it flopped horribly and Koike got dropped from Madhouse for it. He doin' alright tho)

English dub is great too. Movie's like ten bucks for a bargain bin bluray and worth every penny

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SolarFire2 posted:

I think the 3D refers to wearing 3D glasses in the theater.

Having said that.. It's not quite as bad as I remember it being. It's a shameless Star Wars ripoff and has questionable moments, but it wasn't painful to watch or anything.

That could be it, but I think the ship is a 3D cgi model, too. Here's an interview of some of the creators where they talk about it.

https://www.toplessrobot.com/2015/07/starchaser_legend_of_orin_3d_animation.php

I think the movie is really close to being something special, but the story doesn't tie together so well. It does have cool concepts, like the fake god, the laser whips that blind people, and the magical sword.

UnintelGen posted:

Been watching Big O lately, and the blatant Batman homages are endlessly amusing. And whoever was the guy to have a robot with giant loving pistons for arms- they are not being paid well enough.

I thought TMS handled Batman though? This is Sunrise. It's kinda cool they nailed the batman/art deco look, at times really looks like a western cartoon in the weirdest ways.

The guy who wrote Big O went on to write Serial Experiments Lain. You can... kinda tell; he fixates on certain topics

Also, watch Redline. loving hell Japan did that movie bad (it flopped horribly and Koike got dropped from Madhouse for it. He doin' alright tho)

English dub is great too. Movie's like ten bucks for a bargain bin bluray and worth every penny

They got some of the BTAS animators to work on the show:

https://www.otaquest.com/the-big-o-basically-gave-bruce-wayne-a-giant-robot-and-it-kicked-rear end/

100% :agreed: on the dub. It's an awesome show no matter how you watch it. It came out back when Cartoon Network was playing a ton of anime gems via Toonami and Midnight Run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!
I was talking about Redline- but yeah both dubs are superb. Funny to think that the english release is what helped the show get a second season with backing from CN/Adult Swim. Never saw the back half of the show when I was little and I heard it's... weird? A trip? Different. I think I'm predisposed to liking it though

Makes sense some of the same animators worked on both show.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and hope they improved things but there's another 1996 Ghost in The Shell rerelease with a 4k western release next month. The copy I had had bad subs and a less than stellar picture (but not the bad CG), so I hope they don't gently caress it up this time.
(Used UK ripped subs with songs for my first watch)