Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Barudak posted:

I really liked Legend of Galactic Heroes but the series is unabashedly you taking a college course on a famous historical epic. This is barely a joke, there are multiple parts where a professor in the present discusses historical events that set the stage for the socio-political climate of the show which is also deep in the past to the professor.

Yup, it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same...

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

LOGH is good, the author's follow-up to it [Tytania] is not.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
LOGH also gets loving brutal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i want to hear more about the "weird tax thing"

Cartoon Network wrote it off as a tax loss which means they can't really do much of anything with it anymore.

Barudak posted:

They just released a Pacific Rim anime Im not going to watch

Its... okay. It takes place after the second movie and can be kind of dark. The premise is that kaiju start showing up in Australia and so the entire continent just gets abandoned by the military. The show proper takes place five years after that with everything in ruins.

The biggest problem it has is near the end because the movie tried to keep things fairly realistic with their stuff but the show just throws it all away by having a kaiju that can look like a normal human but also transform into a giant monster.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

muscles like this! posted:

The biggest problem it has is near the end because the movie tried to keep things fairly realistic with their stuff but the show just throws it all away by having a kaiju that can look like a normal human but also transform into a giant monster.

That's fair about the realism, but tbh that also seems like a logical enough place to end up as an evolution of whatever the gently caress was going on in PR2 with Charlie from It's always Sunny.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Droyer posted:

A mecha anime i really like started getting subs again so have some real nice animation:

https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/b36979300eb7424dc737f8439ed82738.mp4

What's the name of this, so I can put it on my watchlist?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Barudak posted:

They just released a Pacific Rim anime Im not going to watch

It's just Pacific Rim: Mad Max

That might be appealing to some, just not what I'm looking for with my robots punching monsters cartoon.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

What's the name of this, so I can put it on my watchlist?

Fafner in the Azure is the name of the franchise, this latest entry is called Fafner the Beyond.

Fair warning: the franchise won't make any sense unless you watch it in order from the beginning, and the early stuff doesn't look nearly this good. Also it can be kind of a downer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Tulip posted:

I'm also using this as an excuse to talk about it partially because of the whole "humanity is dying and people are going on dates" thing upthread. The premise of Yokohama Shopping Trip is that humanity is hosed thanks to ecological collapse. Humanity has decided to take their twilight days easy and slide into oblivion with as little fuss as possible. Watch the sunset, do some fishing. The story is told by a robot who runs a coffee shop and knows that she's going to outlive humanity by many, many centuries and is trying to have the best time of it she can while she can.

I haven't watched the anime but I'm a big fan of the manga. Even though it's not canon, the setting to me feels like a post-singularity world, where we're seeing the people who chose to be left behind. The disrupted ecology, the bits and pieces of advanced technology (fully sentient androids, some really odd biology, the permanently flying plane, etc).