Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm also going to toss The Big O out there as an excellent sci-fi series. It has mecha, people reeling from group amnesia, wonderfully dramatic music, and beautiful animation by the same studio that did Batman: The Animated Series.

It also has very satisfying mecha combat:

Been watching Big O lately, and the blatant Batman homages are endlessly amusing. And whoever was the guy to have a robot with giant loving pistons for arms- they are not being paid well enough.

I thought TMS handled Batman though? This is Sunrise. It's kinda cool they nailed the batman/art deco look, at times really looks like a western cartoon in the weirdest ways.

The guy who wrote Big O went on to write Serial Experiments Lain. You can... kinda tell; he fixates on certain topics

Also, watch Redline. loving hell Japan did that movie bad (it flopped horribly and Koike got dropped from Madhouse for it. He doin' alright tho)

English dub is great too. Movie's like ten bucks for a bargain bin bluray and worth every penny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!
I was talking about Redline- but yeah both dubs are superb. Funny to think that the english release is what helped the show get a second season with backing from CN/Adult Swim. Never saw the back half of the show when I was little and I heard it's... weird? A trip? Different. I think I'm predisposed to liking it though

Makes sense some of the same animators worked on both show.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and hope they improved things but there's another 1996 Ghost in The Shell rerelease with a 4k western release next month. The copy I had had bad subs and a less than stellar picture (but not the bad CG), so I hope they don't gently caress it up this time.
(Used UK ripped subs with songs for my first watch)