Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Edit: nm, I guess I'm surprised that so many people dislike it since so many goons are always saying that spoilers don't bother them

SpaceAceJase posted:

Keifer Sutherland with a speech impediment and a top hat

Oh

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Keifer Sutherland with a speech impediment and a top hat

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Why do people hate the intro?
you mean schreber's voiceover? because it spoils plot elements that are revealed over the course of the film anyway

it's like if citizen kane had done a closeup on the sled in the first scene

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Why do people hate the intro?

It was added after the fact without the director's knowledge after test audiences were too dumb to understand the movie, and it literally spells out the entire mystery of the movie before the movie even starts, which is even worse than it sounds since the main character's attempt to figure out what is going on alongside the audience is the drive of the first 80% of the film.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Gazpacho posted:

you mean schreber's voiceover? because it spoils plot elements that are revealed over the course of the film anyway

it's like if citizen kane had done a closeup on the sled in the first scene

It'd me more like if they added a bit at the start of Memento that said, "You are probably wondering how I got here! Well, we are going to show the movie backwards to show you."

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
The crazy detective who figures out how to get out of the city is my favorite character.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Incelshok Na posted:

It'd me more like if they added a bit at the start of Memento that said, "You are probably wondering how I got here! Well, we are going to show the movie backwards to show you."

or at the start of sixth sense letting everyone know that bruce willis is invulnerable

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GolfHole posted:

i liked how they all said chooning
i thought this movie was where fyad got troon from

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
Cool movie with awesome lighting and frames. It definitely does the cave allegory thing better than the matrix. The telepathic fight towards the end is kind of corny though

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
never seen it op but given how how attractive she is in snowpiercer i assume that anyone that gazed on jennifer connolly 22 years ago is now dead and nobody has ever seen this movie and lived to tell abouit it

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This is one of those films that was surprisingly good, but whos reputation for being good among nerds has outgrown itself. I did a rewatch recently and its a bit of fun but the tropes are played out in 2020.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Obsidianheart posted:

The crazy detective who figures out how to get out of the city is my favorite character.

I just spat coffee through my nose reading this

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

why don't they do a re-view on this movie? id really like to hear an irrelevant old mans take on it

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Womyn Capote posted:

why don't they do a re-view on this movie? id really like to hear an irrelevant old mans take on it

I have good news for you re: 98% of the posts itt

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The Walrus posted:

never seen it op but given how how attractive she is in snowpiercer i assume that anyone that gazed on jennifer connolly 22 years ago is now dead and nobody has ever seen this movie and lived to tell abouit it

I love Snowpiercer the movie. Is the TV show worth watching?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Ehhh... Maybe? Its really kinda average imo. Its basically what you think you'd get from a TNT tv show version of snowpiercer. I'm still watching it but its not really a show that I'm super eager to watch each week

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Edit: nm, I guess I'm surprised that so many people dislike it since so many goons are always saying that spoilers don't bother them

Spoilers don't bother me but it's markedly worse with the vo

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
I think about the "it's all a big joke" guy all the time, reading the news and seeing how crazy the world has become.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

proctorbot posted:

I think about the "it's all a big joke" guy all the time, reading the news and seeing how crazy the world has become.

:hai:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

SpaceAceJase posted:

Keifer Sutherland with a speech impediment

That's what kills it for me, every time I've tried to watch it. The rest of it that I've seen is fine, but drat

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

No argument this movie is really rad. Ebert had an excellent review for it too.

Ebert did the commentary track, and couldn't figure out how Emma found the prostitute's apartment.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m ready for the all dog parody

Bark City

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
This is the movie that made me aware of Jennifer Connelly.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Slippery posted:

you take that back

and if she does it's fine 'cause she can do what she wants

I won't take it back she does have a mustache, like look at this image - looks fine right? Gorgeous infact.

But if you zoom in hard on the lip area there is clearly a mustache. It's subtle but it's there (spoilered in case you don't want Jennifer Connolly ruined for you):

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
big if true

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Also this movie was good I haven't seen the one with the intro but if everyone says it ruins the movie it probably does. If you get to go into this cold you are blessed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People tried to tell me this movie was better than the Matrix but I watched it like 5-6 years ago and the psychic mind battles look so insanely dorky the atmosphere was totally destroyed and I thought the movie sucked rear end.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Oh god the Matrix loving sucked like everyone complained about 2 and 3 like the first one wasn't also full of meaningless cryptic bullshit if you connected with the Matrix on a deeper level than "Keanu Reeves shoots people and cool graphics" then you're a goddamn simpleton.

Dark City is campy but it never acted like it was more than it was, I never had to listen to a stoner fake intellectual explain to me how John Murdoch was actually Jesus for 2 hours.

Having symbolic poo poo in a movie doesn't make it deep.

e: sorry trigger warning if you liked The Matrix that's cool and you're cool and I love you.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i wouldve liked it better if they had done the psychic battle with practical effects and possibly claymation

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

how about instead of mind powers they used guns

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
mind guns

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's ok. It lacks any of the artistry or magical realism in the movie and it's clearly very low budget but the leads are good. Melanie Cavill is a very good villain, you can really identify with the decisions she has to make at every turn.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

While it's nice that the director's cut (or whatever it's called) removes the opening narration, it also adds in or extends a bunch of scenes that provide unnecessary exposition, the end result being that the movie has exactly as much dumb content as it had before, except it's spread out over the entire film instead of being frontloaded

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Dark city has aged much better than the matrix.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The Matrix was super cool and fun and I agree Dark City aged better

Except for its ending. Dark City had a very dumb ending.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

The Matrix was super cool and fun and I agree Dark City aged better

Except for its ending. Dark City had a very dumb ending.

Come to think of it, yeah the ending kinda sucked, haven't really thought of it in a while. With the matrix it's the dialog that bothers me when the guy said " Kansas is going bye bye" I wanted to turn it off.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you gotta be smart to really get what the matrix is all about. im talkin mensa smart

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

gary oldmans diary posted:

you gotta be smart to really get what the matrix is all about. im talkin mensa smart

Its an allegory for being trans, and trapped in a body that isn't the correct gender

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
no no no no no. clearly youre not smart enough
https://i.imgur.com/dPOJ0G7.mp4
you need to watch this until you have big matrix brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

the matrix was mostly a promotional tie-in movie made with burger king. explains why the characters are eating burgers all the time and why the oracle gives neo that plate of burgers