Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The last cigar/pipe thread was closed and the OP blanked b/c OP came back from a 2 year hiatus to get mad at Lowtax. While that's an admirable instinct, we still need a place for goons to talk about smoking big dick analogs and to use words like Frog Morton aromatic burley ligero and poo poo. Plus the thread was 10 years old and got moved to TCC in like 2016 which was bullshit. I've smoked cigars here and there since 2015 or so, but I've gotten seriously into it during the Coronavirus lockdowns, since my buddies and I will hop on a video chat and smoke together instead of hanging out in person. It's a pretty good time :unsmith:.

Cigars

Cigars are, at base, a bunch of tobacco rolled inside of one big leaf of tobacco. This is probably a very old way of getting your nicotine, but modern cigars got their earliest start in the 16th century, becoming wildly popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and fading for a long time until the 1990s, when a brief cigar boom led to a bunch of new brands and a few new styles.

Cuban cigars

Cuba is the country most famously associated with cigars, and they still have a thriving industry that is well regarded. However, the Cuban Revolution led to a lot of cigar makers fleeing the island and setting up elsewhere, with the result that there are excellent cigar manufacturers all over the Caribbean. Nicaragua is probably the most important cigar manufacturing country, followed closely by the Dominican Republic and Honduras. Cuba still makes great cigars, but it's not the be-all end-all.

Types of cigars

Most of what we're talking about in this thread are so-called "premium" cigars. Premium cigars are all rolled by hand, generally using fine tobacco, and following certain styles. It's what most people think of when you say "cigar". Machine-rolled cigars are much less expensive, generally use lower quality tobacco, tend to be smaller, and are often (but not always) flavored and/or sweetened.

Hand-rolled cigars (from now on, just "cigars") have 3 main components, the wrapper, the binder, and the filler. These are often mixed-and-matched from different regions, different seed lines, and different processing styles to produce a specific experience. This blending (along with the construction of the cigar) is what makes each cigar different.

Wrapper: this is the most important leaf, and is overwhelmingly the most expensive part of the cigar. Wrapper leaves are usually 10x the price of the binder and filler leaves, since they need to be flawless, uniform, and just the right size in order to properly roll the cigar. The wrapper determines the color of the cigar, and a lot of its flavor. There are endless layers of Connecticut wrappers, Connecticut seed wrappers from Ecuador, Habano wrappers from Nicaragua, Brazilian Habano oscuro etc. etc. to learn about when you start delving into cigars.

Besides their provenance, wrappers are described according to their level of ripeness/fermentation/color. These range from green for candela/double claro wrappers, through various shades of tan for claro and colorado, dark brown for maduro, and all the way to almost black for oscuro/double maduro. Generally speaking lighter-colored wrappers are grassy, woody, and sometimes creamy and sometimes peppery, while darker wrappers get richer, more intense, and sweeter.

Binder: binder leaves keep the filler leaves in place and provide structure to the cigar. The binder leaf can have blemishes and irregularities, since it is hidden by the wrapper.

Filler: filler tobacco makes up most of the cigar. Inexpensive cigars will use crumbled or chopper filler, higher-end cigars use long-leaf fillers, which contribute to a more even and consistent burn.

Vitola (shape)

Cigars have an open end, which gets lit and is called the "foot", and a closed end, which is cut or punctured to smoke through, called the cap. In between there are a variety of lengths, thicknesses, and shapes which are collectively called the "vitola". Usually a given cigar make will come in several different vitolas, each of which will be slightly different in terms of flavor development and smoking time. The common shape, with straight sides and a rounded cap is called a parejo, while other shapes (such as a pointed or "torpedo" tip, or a bulging "perfecto" shape) are called figurado cigars.

Storing cigars

Cigars are a bit delicate, and its loving annoying. To stay in good condition, they should be kept at around 70% humidity and around 70 degrees F. There are elaborate, decorative humidors that can serve this purpose, but most goons keep their cigars in coolers or sealed plastic totes with humidity beads to keep it steady and cheap hygrometers to meter it. This box with this humidity pack and this hygrometer will get you started just fine. If kept in proper conditions, cigars will improve with age and are worth setting aside if you can manage to not smoke them all.

Keep in mind, if you're going to buy 1 or 2 cigars and smoke them within a week or so, a humidor isn't really necessary. You only need to get into storage if you've got enough cigars that it might take you several weeks to smoke them, since that's plenty of time for them to dry out under normal conditions.

Smoking cigars

Most cigars take between 45 and 90 minutes to smoke. Larger, more densely-constructed cigars can last up to 3 hours, while smaller, looser cigars can be fully smoked in a half hour. While you can relight a cigar that has died down a bit while you've been smoking it, it's really not possible to set a cigar down, let it go out entirely, and then pick it up the next day. To start with you need to slice or puncture the cap so you can draw air through the cigar. Different cigar cutters will make a straight cut, a V-cut, or punch a hole through the cap. Choosing the right cut for a cigar is a matter of experience and preference. Then you light the foot, ideally with a butane torch lighter. You can "toast" the foot by holding it above the flame and rotating it to get the tobacco heated before lighting. After toasting, rotate the cigar and puff quickly while it's in the flame to light it evenly. Once it's lit, leave it sit for anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple minutes between puffs. Too much smoking can burn the tobacco and lead to char and off flavors. Too little, and your cherry can get cold and you get incomplete combustion and an unsatisfying smoke. It takes a bit of experience, but eventually you'll be able to keep your cigar nicely lit without getting too hot. Let the ash build up as you smoke, since the ash insulates the cherry, providing a more even burn, and cools the smoke. I usually only ash my cigar once or twice, depending on the vitola.

An important note: premium cigars are not supposed to be inhaled. Pull into your mouth like drinking a thick milkshake to taste the flavors of the smoke before exhaling. Depending on the cigar, you can also get a very satisfying nicotine buzz this way.

An important note: cigar butts smell loving awful. I don't recommend throwing them away inside your house if you can avoid it. I have no idea why the butts smell so bad when active cigar smoke is fairly pleasant, but just be cognizant of that downside.

Buying cigars

If you're curious about trying a cigar, I recommend going to a brick-and-mortar (B&M) tobacco shop and just buying one or two to try. They'll often also have cutters and torch lighters for sale. Total Wine and BevMo both also have cigar selections (Total Wine is much better in my experience). Singles at a B&M tend to be $9-$15 for good premium cigars.

If you've decided to get more into cigars and want to save a bit of money vs. buying singles at a B&M shop, there are some great websites to check out. If you've got a good eye for promotions and deals, you can get excellent cigars online for $4-$10 per, although you're generally buying packs of several at a time.

Cigars International has a wide selection and pretty normal prices for an online vendor. They also have rotating deals and all sorts of varying promotions, so it's worth keeping an eye out. CI is great for samplers if you want to try a variety of cigars at decent price.

Cigar Page has less glitz than CI, but the prices are lower overall, and some of their sales have been totally incredible. Definitely worth a browse.

Cigar Bid is more complicated than the previous two. They use Yankee-style auctions to sell individual lots of cigars, as well as a "price fall" sales thing for different lots. It's a little confusing at first, but once you figure out how it works it's a great way to try a bunch of singles for much cheaper than normal, although I warn you that bidding on single cigars can get addictive.

I'll add more online resources if people mention them.

Where to start

I'll add specific recommendations for starting out later, but for now, some decent brands to look at if you'd like to get your feet wet:

My Father
Oliva
Padron
Rocky Patel

If you want something mellow, look for a Connecticut wrapper. If you like spicy, a Habano or Nicaragua is decent. For rich and sweet or bittersweet, look for a darker maduro wrapper. Beyond that, a lot of this is subjective, so your best bet is to just start trying stuff out. I recommend keeping notes so you can remember which brands you liked, especially if you can take note of the wrapper and fillers. I have a spreadsheet tracking off of this, but that's not necessary.

I'll reserve the next post for pipe smoking info, in case a pipegoon wants to do a pipe smoking effortpost. I'll also add pictures tomorrow when it's not so late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Reserved for pipe info.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

To start off with my last post from the old thread:

I smoked a San Lotano Oval by AJ Fernandez today. It's from a sampler of box-press perfectos at CI that I was excited to try. Nice smoke from the start, burned fairly evenly and didn't threaten to go out on me. Mellow, had some dried cherry and cinnamon notes, fairly creamy. Not much spice, just a very little. Was great for around an hour, but the last 10 minutes were so-so. I might have let it get a little cold, but it got a bit bitter. Still, quite enjoyable for the price, I'm looking forward to trying it again, as well as some of the more intense cigars in the bundle.

I also picked up some Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut wrapper robusto seconds, hoping they're a fun smoke I can share with folks who aren't regular cigar smokers.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
I love using this lighter for my pipe

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I have two pipes: one I got when I was a teenager and one I inherited from my grandma's boyfriend, a cool dude who smoked all his life and died recently at 80-something. I haven't actually smoked a pipe for years though, that poo poo is too expensive. That's my pipe story every1.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

thank you for your service

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I tried smoking from a pipe once and had to keep relighting and it was annoying

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

I tried smoking from a pipe once and had to keep relighting and it was annoying

you were doing it wrong.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Grevling posted:

I have two pipes: one I got when I was a teenager and one I inherited from my grandma's boyfriend, a cool dude who smoked all his life and died recently at 80-something. I haven't actually smoked a pipe for years though, that poo poo is too expensive. That's my pipe story every1.

Pipes themselves can get pricey but there's plenty that aren't and will last a really long time if you take care of them. The tobacco itself is nowhere near expensive. There's plenty of good pipe tobaccos that are inexpensive as hell. Plenty of smoke shops have house blends that're even cheaper.

And yeah, Shark, if you're having a hard time keeping it lit there's probably something wrong with how you're packing it.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 5, 2020

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Honky Dong Country posted:

Pipes themselves can get pricey but there's plenty that aren't and will last a really long time if you take care of them. The tobacco itself is nowhere near expensive. There's plenty of good pipe tobaccos that are inexpensive as hell. Plenty of smoke shops have house blends that're even cheaper.

And yeah if you're having a hard time keeping it lit there's probably something wrong with how you're packing it.

I live in a country which taxes tobacco pretty heftily. Even so last time I'd been abroad and thought about getting some pipe tobacco at the tax-free shop at the airport I was discouraged by the relative priciness. Maybe not per smoking session but the initial investment still put me off.

old friend
Dec 29, 2019

Lol didn't read the OP except for noticing the loving adverts for cigar brands in the middle? Very cool

this is now a lung cancer photos megathread

You and your loved ones be like:

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

old friend posted:

Lol didn't read the OP except for noticing the loving adverts for cigar brands in the middle? Very cool

:chloe:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Very normal posting

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

old friend posted:

lmfao

old friend
Dec 29, 2019

Honky Dong Country posted:

Very normal posting

just here to enjoy the fruits of cigars sir!

The Persian Funk
Jun 13, 2006

by Athanatos
One good thing to come out of vaping that is that cigar and pipe smokers are no longer the biggest douchebags on the block.

XA Shere
Apr 18, 2019
I only smoke cigarettos (Romeo y Jullietas)... am I any less of a man?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

XA Shere posted:

Hey man do what makes you happy

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

XA Shere posted:

lol yea

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A cigar is way too much for me, I prefer a teeny tiny cigarillo.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'm blasting a cig.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Smell amazing, taste like murder. Still do a bit of both in the right company.

Good pipe tobacco is like a Top 10 smell imo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Right now in my humidor I have multiples of:

Macanudo '97 #3's (5.56x43 in Connecticut shade)
Undercrown Robusto 5x54 Maduros (San Andres negro wrap)
Rebellion 'Militia' (6.12x54 Torpedo EMS Nicaragua wrap)
Casa Blanca De Luxe (6x50 Natural Connecticut wrap)
Montecristo White Series Toro (6x54 Connecticut Natural wrap)

A couple random Macanudos tubos that came from my FiL along with a couple Ghurka's and I feel like there's something else floating around in there too that I can't remember. Probably hovering at just under 40 sticks or so right now.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I hated maintaining a humidor. I wouldnt smoke for months or so, i would forget about it and cigars would be dry when i did want to smoke. Plus smoking a pipe is more fun.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I bought a AF Opus X for $26.00 at a cigar lounge in Columbus. It was good. I don't regular smoke cigars because I like to keep the wife interested in kissing me and I don't want to invest in storage so the price was justifiable to me.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

luchajones posted:

I hated maintaining a humidor. I wouldnt smoke for months or so, i would forget about it and cigars would be dry when i did want to smoke. Plus smoking a pipe is more fun.

...sup

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

The Persian Funk posted:

One good thing to come out of vaping that is that cigar and pipe smokers are no longer the biggest douchebags on the block.

It's really true.

Every photo ever taken of me while smoking a cigar gives me douche chills for how much of a doucher I look like while doing it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Absolutely 100%. Glenn Quebec is a complete douchebag in every single photo I've ever seen and even not in photos.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No, but honestly, cigar and pipe smoking makes you look like a loving moron.
I enjoy it but I sure as poo poo don't do it around people (unless in my own secluded yard while my wife happens to be there doing something else counts).

I wouldn't even feel comfortable at a cigar lounge, typically, I think. I'd probably smoke with other friends who were into it if we had a private space to enjoy it, but that'd be extent of it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Big Beef City posted:

Absolutely 100%. Glenn Quebec is a complete douchebag in every single photo I've ever seen and even not in photos.

Hard agree.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I also prefer to smoke alone and hide my shame.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I appreciate your effort OP, but pipe-smoking is the nicotine equivalent of a fedora, the only method of nicotine inhalation more annoying to witness than vaping. While I quite like the smell of cigar smoke fresh and old, ain’t nobody got time for that any more. Who the hell wants to smoke the same thing for 90 minutes these days.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It's cool when subcomandante Marcos does it. :shrug:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Torquemada posted:

I appreciate your effort OP, but pipe-smoking is the nicotine equivalent of a fedora, the only method of nicotine inhalation more annoying to witness than vaping. While I quite like the smell of cigar smoke fresh and old, ain’t nobody got time for that any more. Who the hell wants to smoke the same thing for 90 minutes these days.

I'd imagine the people buying cigars.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Torquemada posted:

I enjoy some pipe tobacco or a cigar every now and then while hanging out on my porch and reading. Some booze doesn't hurt either.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Smoking a pipe isn't a hard guarantee to look like a douche. It would be for me, but if you fully live the 1940s farmer aesthetic it can work. The older and beardier the better.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Pipe smoking is fun because you actually have something to do while you smoke. You have to stamp down the ash every few puffs to keep it lit. Cigars are just puff puff puff.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

luchajones posted:

Pipe smoking is fun because you actually have something to do while you smoke. You have to stamp down the ash every few puffs to keep it lit. Cigars are just puff puff puff.

Speak for yourself I've hosed up too many cigars canoeing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

What if, like, you had a cigar, but it was filled with like, weed or something?? Haha how wild would that be? People would be like "Hey how is your cigar?" and you would be like so high hahaha and they wouldn't have any idea that would be so funny