Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

That said, I'll hit the Bad Blood PPV on sunday and if I can a couple episodes of RAW right after. I don't know how many people actually care but that's what's been happening to me! Just very busy and too sweaty to sit down and watch wroosling.

One legitimate content warning for the Raw after the PPV: Brian Pillman dies immediately before Badd Blood, and they show a really tasteless interview with his widow to try and prove they aren't responsible. I know there's a no-spoiler policy, but some things should be braced for.

Also, it's good to see this thread around again, and take all the time you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lurks With Wolves posted:

One legitimate content warning for the Raw after the PPV: Brian Pillman dies immediately before Badd Blood, and they show a really tasteless interview with his widow to try and prove they aren't responsible. I know there's a no-spoiler policy, but some things should be braced for.

Also, it's good to see this thread around again, and take all the time you need.

Oof this whole era has beyond tasteless stuff going on, the PPV Owen dying during a PPV, the show immediately after that poo poo is going to get really hosed. . I would highly recommend watching the episode of Dark Side of the Ring if you want some semblance of closure regarding those events.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Alright, it's been too bloody long since I did an update so let's hit that poo poo up. Bring out your salted dried meats and your delicious, full bodied beer and lets do this.

In Your House: Badd Blood: October 05, 1997

Nation of Domination vs Legion of Doom
- Hi before this match begins 'WOW THE MAIN EVENT IS GONNA BE AWESOME' also brian pillman died we dont know what the gently caress anyway
- Legion of doom getting a highly respectable pop :golfclap:
- Whole crowd chanting "Rocky sucks! Rocky sucks!" poor dude
- Good stuff, nation! The Crowd is livid!

An Update on Brian Pillman
- Sunny: lets bang in the hell in the cell :confuoot:
- "He's dead. We have no idea what happened, so anyway, here:"

Tarantula and Mosaic vs Max Mini and Mini Nova
- I know it's inherently problematic with the while (MIDGET WRESTLING) billings but I genuinely like these matches, these guys are great athletes any one of these would be better than loving peter dinklage for tyrion
- Lawler: haha gently caress short people
- Jim ross: some respect king, these are athletes
- Lawler: NO!!! What's the deal with Lawler's commentary?
- Why did they stop doing these? They're genuinely fun.
- Nice pin Max!
- I...i had no idea there were other language commentators...

Godwinns vs Headbangers
- headbangers are getting cooler the more I see th- DID HE JUST SPIT INTO HIS OWN loving MOUTH :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:
- Godwins are just beastly but those denim overalls get pretty disgusting drat...
- There seems to be a huge "these people are disgusting" thing with the godwins, there's nonstop comments on gross appalachian people or whatever. yikes
- Fans did NOT like this team winning.

Owen Hart sends a message to Stone Cold
- They're just straight up acknowledging that Stone Cold is a literal insane person who attacks people for no reason. neat

WWE Honours St. Louis Legends
- :shrug:

Farooq addresses Owen Hart and Stone Cold
- Not much to say...

Farooq vs Owen Hart: Intercontinental title
- The match is pretty good but Stone Cold is taking over the entire thing. It's kind of annoying, I dont like it when commentary takes over the match, reminds me of the Jericho commentary on AEW a few weeks ago.

Los Boricuas vs Disciples of Apocalypse
- Nice to see the LB's again. They're pretty good.
- And DoA took the win. Not bad! I always like backbreakers.

The Hart Foundation wants to set an example
- I don't know why this is cut into a segment, it was 6 seconds of bret saying America sucks.

Hart Foundation vs Patriot and MOTHER. loving. VADER
- ITS TIME ITS TIME ITS TIME ITS TIME
- lmao Vader trying to beat Bret with a flagpole this is great
- match hasn't even started and its just a brawl, flagpoles broken, shattered, people being thrown into the crowd, this is great
- This is a really long match and I am not complaining :)
- Love watching Vader dropping people
- Hahahaha he used Bret's hold on him
- Hitting people with a ringside gong is literally such a horrifying looking attack to me...
- Disgusting, managing to beat vader. Bret hart was clearly cheatin'.

HBK discusses his Hell in a Cell match
- He seems confident. Refers to Hunter, Chyna and Rick Rude as his "troops". lol

Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker Hell in a Cell
- I really like Shawn Michaels's theme.
- Taker just throwing HBK like he's a ragdoll. I love it!
- One guy screaming "MAKE HIM BLEED!" and "KILL HIM! KILL HIM!" drat dude
- A lot of this match is throwing people into the wall
- This match is turning into a "Shawn Michaels murders the poo poo out of the Undertaker's face" which is pretty neat
- Shawn why you hitting cameramen?
- Oh good lord they got out and now they're on top of the cell, crowd is going literally insane
- jesus christ he throw him off the cell, that poo poo looked painful
- GOOD LORD that chairshot looked- what
- What the gently caress is this
- ??????????????????????????????
- Alright I guess that's a thing now
- Paul Bearer seems pleased as punch over this
- Oh and I guess Shawn Michaels wins in the most bullshit way ever, gently caress this guy lol

Overall this was a great PPV though. The last event was wild, I'll take ten please.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- GOOD LORD that chairshot looked- what
- What the gently caress is this
- ??????????????????????????????
- Alright I guess that's a thing now
- Paul Bearer seems pleased as punch over this
- Oh and I guess Shawn Michaels wins in the most bullshit way ever, gently caress this guy lol

That's got to be Kane.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 7, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you're going to watch the royal rumble.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cavauro posted:

you're going to watch the royal rumble.

Is that the next one? I thought it was RAW for a few episodes then the next PPV.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no, it's a while from now. i hope you don't stop posting.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
i just cooked a big loving steak and the weather here in ottawa is reasonable for once.

OCT 06, 1997

10-Bell Salute For Brian Pillman
- This is a very non-sleazy thing! I guess he had a lot of fans here, lots of shots of people crying in the crowd.
- *tenth bell finishes* Crowd IMMEDIATELY ERUPTS into cheers, clapping, shouting. :confuoot:
- R.I.P though, I wanted the Goldust/Marnie poo poo to end but not like this.:stonk:

HBK Has A Message For His Detractors
- HEY BISCHOFF, BITE ME! sign. :laugh:
- Who the hell is this interviewer? I want to slap this loving dork.
- Jesus christ, a double wedgie from HHH and Chyna. You usually have to pay for something that amazing.
- lmao just bullying him this whole promo, i'm surprised they didnt give him a wet willie
- When did they start calling themselves D-Generation X? The Landis video seems to imply it was when they first started working together, but uh, it's been two months of shows, multiple PPVs and nope nope nope, it's all "The Clique"(or however its spelled.)
- ??????????????????????? Is this a loving work? They put up footage of HHH and Shawn Michaels being friends and they're just roasting the poo poo out of Vince here. 'Ha ha Kayfabe is fake! deal with it bitch!" I don't get it.
- Welp, Bret Hart called Shawn and HHH homos, I'm done with this segment. :sigh:
- This is also really, really long, like what? I hear a lot of criticism of "modern raw" because it starts with people talking, not wrestling and this is literally 20 straight loving minutes of promo-shitposting, can we see a chokeslam or something?

Headbangers vs Godwins: Lumberjack
- I guess this match is meant to be for the commentators to comment on the last 20 minutes.
- Oh and then 30 people in the ring. :rolleye:

Los Boricuas have a Message for Mark Nero
Miguel Perez vs Marvelous Marc Nero
- I’m just gonna fold any promo under 90 seconds into a thing because there’s really nothing to say about a promo that short: yep, he sure did say he was gonna win or whatever
- Mark beat his rear end pretty fast.

Jim Cornette Shares His Opinions (Please no)
- Oh boy, here we GOOO-
- This is such a weird promo, its just a man yelling at a cloud.
- This is the first time I’ve seen them directly acknowledge WCW. It’s interesting.
- Overall kind of a mediocre promo.

British Bulldog vs Rocky Malvia

- God I love that BB uses “Rule Britannia” as his theme.
- Yeah I’m having trouble understanding why everyone hates Rocky, you can hear the chant.
- Another all-out brawl. drat.

Stone Cold Makes His Decision

- I just realized I haven’t actually seen Stone Cold Wrestle yet, I’ve just seen him stunner people.
- Good christ this guy just blinks and gets a pop. It’s like Bryan Cranston during the Breaking Bad run.
= !!! Dude I like the idea of Stone Cold vs the Nation of Domination. This is cool.
- Man, Lawler getting bullied is hilarious

Road Warrior Hawk Has A Message For Owen Hart

- “YOU’RE A BOOGER, OWEN HART!”
- :rolleye:

Road Warrior vs Owen Hart

- “I’m not scared of Stone Cold! Let’s do this!”
- Quick match. Honestly my favorite OH match so far has been his godly match against the legend Vader

Melanie Pillman On The Death Of Brian Pillman

- Wow that looks like a woman who certainly wants to talk about her husband dying.
- This is literally the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever watched!
- “How are the Children?” gently caress off Vince god drat
- “How are you gonna support your five children?” What the loving hell is happening? Am I having a stroke? This is easily the worst poo poo man…please stop
- There’s a wojack where he’s ripping his own face off and thats more or less what I was feeling.

Brian Pillman Tribute Video

- “Born with throat cancer” Jesus christ
- Dude had a difficult life

Kane Continues His Path Of Destruction

- I like this guy a lot. His introduction was pretty sweet.
- Double chokeslam….I love it.
- Matt and Jeff Hardy? I know one of those guys from AEW. Was that their debut? Good jobbing.
- drat those boos.
- The crowd really isn’t into this character, but you know, its hard to pop out of the gate.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs Bret Hart

- Whats with boogers this episode? Shawn is blowing snot onto a canadian flag.
- Oh yeah, they’re calling him HHH now. Nice. I guess this is where this started.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

quote:

I do apologize to the Los Boricuas fans who are let down by this.

Don't think there were any of those. Savio Vega wasn't a bad worker but nobody cared about them, same as with the Disciples of Apocalypse. Although the DOA didn't even have one decent worker, all four of them were poo poo and the two baldies are nazis.
The Truth Commission were also the drizzling shits; tons of respect to Kurrgan who built a good acting career and the Jackyl who has been prominent as an announcer for ages but Recon was loving awful and they kept on bringing him back in various roles to see if he could get over. I don't even know why, he was just so bad.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 30, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I swear WWF didn't having a scouting team in the 90s.
Also; People hated Rocky Maivia because he was fresh out of the oven, (initially) pushed like a big deal, and was a smiley happy dope that did not belong in the world of America's collective adolescence. if he came along a little bit earlier he might have been alright in the role. If he came along 5 years or so later he could have been tapped for the Cena push, but as it stands he has to settle for being The Rock (horrible I know).
Recon was just a generic big white guy, which in itself was a career builder in WWF. I mean really no reason he couldn't have been Kane had things worked out differently.

To go back to an older convo: 97 was very much the transition point from New Generation to Attitude Era. You had an anti-hero like Austin on top of the card, you had eternal white meat babyface Bret Hart as the villain (usually), you had a transition from cartoonish gimmicks to more grounded ones. You had a gradual increase in gratuitous sexually charged context. You had gang wars. 97 was the setup Survivor Series put the plane on the runway and the takeoff happened at Wrestlemania.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 30, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Kane Continues His Path Of Destruction

- I like this guy a lot. His introduction was pretty sweet.
- Double chokeslam….I love it.
- Matt and Jeff Hardy? I know one of those guys from AEW. Was that their debut? Good jobbing.
- drat those boos.
- The crowd really isn’t into this character, but you know, its hard to pop out of the gate.

The Hardy I first saw was Matt, on a 1994 episode of Raw, losing to Nikolai Volkoff at the time Volkoff was doing a re-run of the Virgil angle with Ted DiBiase but slightly less racially insensitive. They both did a lot of enhancement stuff in WWF along with working for various Mid Atlantic indies & didn't sign full-time with WWF until 1998. So this is still before their "proper" debut

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- R.I.P though, I wanted the Goldust/Marnie poo poo to end but not like this.:stonk:

One of the hosed up things about this is that the intent was to reveal that Marlena was with Pillman the whole time. She was going to betray Goldust, which would have retconned away all the rape stuff. But then Pillman died and... that's what we're left with.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- Who the hell is this interviewer? I want to slap this loving dork.

That would be the debut of Michael Cole. That feeling of yours is never going to go away.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Gavok posted:

That would be the debut of Michael Cole. That feeling of yours is never going to go away.

Welcome to true hell

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
:stonk:

Holy gently caress. please tell me this is the most hosed up thing in wrestling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Holy gently caress. please tell me this is the most hosed up thing in wrestling.

It's definitely up there but it's far from the most hosed up thing.

Then again, a few of the things more hosed up than this include these two, so...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I dunno, some of the sexual abuse stuff, the Snuka murder cover up, there's heavy competition.

It was always funny when they'd work in ECW, for a Jewish promoter, and were mostly used as heavies for Raven, a Jewish wrestler. Hope that bothered them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There's a long running story that their stint in ECW ended when they went up to Heyman and happily explained what their tattoos actually were, to which he befuddedly told them he's Jewish and fired them

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would sooner believe that conversation happened in front of other people and heyman felt he had no choice but to pretend he didn't know what the drat logo was until then

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

DeathChicken posted:

There's a long running story that their stint in ECW ended when they went up to Heyman and happily explained what their tattoos actually were, to which he befuddedly told them he's Jewish and fired them

I believe that happened after they showed their new not-SS tattoos off to Raven, who said "That's cool, you should really go show Paulie."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

smikey posted:

I believe that happened after they showed their new not-SS tattoos off to Raven, who said "That's cool, you should really go show Paulie."

DeathChicken posted:

I don't even care if this isn't true I fully believe it's how it happened because that's just a god tier move by Raven

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Also Heyman's mother was a concentration camp survivor

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Alright let's do this shnit! Its time for expensive heavy beer and trucker meat. :)

OCT 13, 1997

A Special Look At The Legion Of Doom
- Don't really care.

DX Interrupts Bret Hart's Interview
- This was a decent promo from them, also the first coining of the name D-Generation X. It's exactly named what it is for the reason I thought it was! Pretty good promo, I was riveted to the screen for it.

Owen Hart vs Kama Mustafa
- This was a pretty okay match, but it was mostly about DX being idiots, stealing people's hats, eating bananas for some reason (?????????????)
- Generally I don't like or really care about matches like this because it was "about" a big melee at the end, and I dont really like those kinds of matches..

The Legion of Doom Talks about Paul Ellering
- More of this! I still don't really care.

Interview with the Godwins
- This is too short to say much about it.

Tarantula and Mosaisc vs Max Mini and Nova
- I love these matches. I know they were probably hella underpaid but holy hell do they put a ton of effort into this stuff. I enjoy how they take falls because they tend to do a fun little roll that I quite like. Honestly it's great.
- Oh god, that bump Nova took on his head. That...I hope he survived that

Karate Fighters Super Supper Sweepstakes
- I actually looked up who won this, since the entire video was "horny man get sunny for dinner" but actually, a woman won it and went out for steak with Stone Cold Steve Austin. Neato.

Flash Funk vs Shawn Michaels
- Actually a secret Kane segment, as he continues to show off how tough he is by murdering people.
- For some reason, I really liked Shawn Michaels hopping on stage like an rear end in a top hat and pinning him.

The Legion of Doom on WWE fans

- What is this? Why do they keep doing this???

DOA vs Truth Comission
- I just sort of cringe watching the DOA now that I found out they’re nazis.

Vince McMahon Offers Stone Cold A Contract
- Christ it's pop city with this guy.
- Everyone loves him, and this is a genuinely funny segment, probably the highlight of the night (Sorry, Godwins!)
- Stone Cold intimidating and bullying McMahon is kind of nice to see. :)

Sable In A Commercial for Laser Tag
- Oh, more of this. :rolleyes: Where's Vader?

The Legion of Doom On Their Origins
- Where's Vader?

Vince McMahon Interviews the Legion of Doom
- Actually an okay interview, but again, very short and quite silly.

Legion of Doom on Wembley Stadium
- Where's Vader?

Tajiri vs Brian Christopher
- Unironically one of my favourite matches so far. It doesn't tell that good of a story, but I like Tajiri's moves.
- Also, Vince is just roasting this mother fucker, and in a fairly clever/interesting way. Vince is really good on commentary.

Jim Cornette Comments On Phil Mushnik
- This is literally Cope: The Promo.

Savio Vega vs Goldust
- This might be the first time I've actually seen him wrestle, in all this time, which is pretty wild, honestly.
- I mean, excepting all his matches on AEW.

WWE Action Figures Commercial
- Not a lot to say, toys.

HHH vs the Patriot Never Gets Started
- Since these two literal manchildren have been acting like idiots all show long (and really, they're acting like almost cartoonish caricatures of high school jocks), I was hoping for a cool match. But I guess that's not happening due to this bullshit.
- Slaughter! I haven't seen you in a while.
- Ahmed Johnson, eh? This should be a f-
- Oh it's going to be a "million people run in, blind chaos" match. Cool. Fun, I guess!

Legion of Doom Vs The Godwins
- This was an alright match. Decent title match and some good moves, but I don't really like or care about these wrestlers.

Overall a pretty okay episode. There's a lot that went on tonight where I just didn't have much to say, absolutely stacked card filled to the brim with stuff. Onto next episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Godwinns/LoD....main evented a Raw?!? Guess they just decided to punt the main to WCW and put Austin in a time slot people might flip over to.