Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is fun. Makes me miss my Raw from the start rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just an FYI, Owen vs Goldust in the IC tournament match was on the 8th September episode.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LionYeti posted:

Which is the literal only thing Vince Russo has ever ever been right about. Everyone should have a character and every match a reason.

See, I'd argue this is not good because it ties into Russo's thing where he's interested in everything EXCEPT the wrestling. Needing to beat your opponent to get the winners purse, to move the rankings, that's all perfectly valid motivation for a match. And since you mentioned Al Snow, I looked at his 1999. He had, by my count, 6 matches over 10 minutes long on TV & PPV that year out of 65 appearances. All on PPV. I mean if you're being generous I think you can argue there's a nugget of a good idea in there but why be generous to Vince Russo?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

I still don't really think '97 is really "Attitude Era"

No DX
Godfather, Mark Henry, D-Lo, Farooq are all still tied up in NOD
Rocky is not there yet (he won't become the promo monster he'll become until summer '98)
No Mr. McMahon
Mankind/Mick Foley is having good matches but has't locked into the comedy charachter everyone is going to fall in love with
No Big Boss Man
No Al Snow

Like all the pieces are there, but not in the right alignment yet.

Wait until Stone Cold is forced to give up his IC Title. The fallout from that puts everything in order.

Also, eventually WWE accidentally gets a real good tag division. That's still 2 years off
Also, please don't look for any kind of women's wrestling. They don't even have a Women's title in '97 (I think)

On the flipside though their presentation of women between Sunny & Sable in '96 started getting more raunchy/provocative, & '96 had stuff like Austin's King of the Ring win & promo, Pillman's Got A Gun, & '97 you have Hart Foundation vs the USA & other stuff I don't want to mention in case it spoils stuff. But obviously it's a silly thing to argue about because it's a marketing term but it's a wrestling forum on the internet so silly things are what we do. But yeah, I think there's a clear difference by the 1997 to the post-Hogan stuff that we tend to refer to as the New Generation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hirez posted:

gently caress I complete forgot 2 Cold Scorpio was in the WWE as Flash Flunk. He was like the original non-lucha/japanese high flyer to me - I think his wrestling would still hold up today

The last time I saw Scorp he was on the first Dragon Gate USA show & was still a far better wrestler then than Ken Doane (his opponent). He also had a really good run in IWA Mid South in 2008, you get him against Eddie Kingston, Claudio Castagnoli, Roderick Strong, Necro Butcher, Sami Callihan, Bobby Fish, if you've got Highspots Network or IWTV then I'd recommend checking out the Kingston match from the 500th Show, 1st March '08.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

HHH vs Cactus Jack: Falls Count Anywhere
- Dude Love and Mankind having a chat with each other. This is actually a fun promo, the two personalities playing against one another.
- Lmao and Hunter visibility shits himself and has a panic attack
- I’ve never see Cactus Jack before, but this is cool.
- Fans literally chanting “ECW! ECW! ECW!” drat, I guess thats probably annoying af.
- I honestly find it funny with these referees trying to like, pretend the match is still going on even though theyre barely still in the building. Like its great, i feel bad for the ref characters.

At least the ECW chants make sense with Cactus Jack because he was in ECW. Still, they should've had him come out to his ECW theme, you're WWE, you can afford to license Born To Be Wild ffs. Anyway, link to the segment because the promo is enjoyable

Will say that the pop for Jack being announced is kind of mental. The character hadn't been on national TV since leaving WCW 3 years before. ECW was still firmly a cult promo running in Pennsylvania, New York & the occasional Florida tour when Foley was there, Hardcore TV was on in some places but usually in the middle of the night. I know they got good coverage in the Apter mags because they were basically a local promo & they always covered North East indies well but it's still slightly odd. I know ECW had done their ECW invasion earlier in 1997 but specifically the Cactus Jack pop is pretty cool, if just because it showed the faith in Mick Foley that the fans already had. I guess it being at MSG helped. Anyway, highly recommend checking out some of his ECW work, especially his promos. The matches don't necessarily stand the test of time but he does some amazing promo work because of course he does, he's Mick Foley.

Also, for the sake of fun, the Meltzer star ratings from this show: Jack vs HHH ****, Bret vs Goldust ** Having just watched it, I feel that 4 star is very charitable in hindsight.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Kane Continues His Path Of Destruction

- I like this guy a lot. His introduction was pretty sweet.
- Double chokeslam….I love it.
- Matt and Jeff Hardy? I know one of those guys from AEW. Was that their debut? Good jobbing.
- drat those boos.
- The crowd really isn’t into this character, but you know, its hard to pop out of the gate.

The Hardy I first saw was Matt, on a 1994 episode of Raw, losing to Nikolai Volkoff at the time Volkoff was doing a re-run of the Virgil angle with Ted DiBiase but slightly less racially insensitive. They both did a lot of enhancement stuff in WWF along with working for various Mid Atlantic indies & didn't sign full-time with WWF until 1998. So this is still before their "proper" debut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

:stonk:

Holy gently caress. please tell me this is the most hosed up thing in wrestling.

I dunno, some of the sexual abuse stuff, the Snuka murder cover up, there's heavy competition.

It was always funny when they'd work in ECW, for a Jewish promoter, and were mostly used as heavies for Raven, a Jewish wrestler. Hope that bothered them.