Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

pop punk posted:

For me professionally a degree is literally worthless. I was just looking into a backup plan of moving to Canada or south east Asia and realized my work experience won’t mean anything to someone deciding if I get to enter their country.
I'm confused. Either you're in a line of work where your experience is quantifiable by portfolio, work history, etc. and its also in demand worldwide or you're not. A college degree might check some immigration boxes that get you hard papers in less years but your first priority is getting sponsorship and sponsorship comes from what are basically job offers. To make sure its just not pure graft or people smuggling there will be some amount of experience check through background checks or a demonstration of experience. In absence of quantified experience (certifications, a portfolio) you then want a degree. In which case it blanket isn't worthless for your profession because its the quantified experience you'd want whether you are in or out of country looking for a new job at all.

A degree might qualify you for some lottery programs but that's nothing to bank on. If you're going to set money on fire evaluating how to get off the sinking ship you should probably splurge for an immigration consultation for your target country first to understand exactly your pathways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rutibex posted:

because of NAFTA there is certain professions that get automatic work permits in USA/Canada. if you become a librarian for example you can just cross into canada and accept a job offer. you dont even need to fill out a form or anything ahead of time they will take care of it at the border.

of course this applies to the before times. if you want to get into canada right now i suggest you move to detroit and buy a small boat.
The policy is still kept up by Canada even if some of the reciprocals on the US side have been sandbagged. You can get on going 1-2 year Canadian work permits as a US citizen with minimum questions asked if you have no criminal record, are in an under served Canadian labor market like library science or IT, have 5 years experience and a degree or 10 years experience, and have a job offer. Less experience or degrees and you can still often get in, just with renewing your permit more often so your sponsor doesn't feel obligated to continue employment if you're not good at your job.

I'd file ahead at this point though, these days they're less likely to wave you through with a 1 month check up while you're waiting on the background checks to come back on your criminal record and degree/work experience. So you want that stuff in the database by the time you enter or you might be turning around or sleeping in the immigration office if you use the just show up route.