Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

*Takes deep breath*

I think the safe answer here is to find an ACCREDITED community college, and knock out as many requirements as you can at a discount rate, then transfer to formal college and take as few courses as you can get away with.

A few handy tips to make this work:
  • Start thinking about your next move IMMEDIATELY. Larger community colleges can have scholarships for graduates going to affiliated Uni's, and might even have some administrative relationships that can ease the paperwork burden of applying/transfering. The bureaucratic snarl of the American higher education system is nightmarish, but it can help you sometimes if you put in the effort.
  • If you're planning ahead or if you live in an area with lots of legitimate 4-year schools, make sure your community college has a good credit transfer history with the non-community college(s) that you want to attend. This takes some foresight, but can save you a TON of frustrating paperwork and unexpected expenses down the line. Getting blindsided by gen-ed requirements that you thought you had covered will ruin your summer and your wallet.
  • Take community college seriously. A good GPA at community college might be the tipping point between getting some $ assistance and having to foot the entire bill on your own.
  • Consider a GED, if you don't already have one. College is about checking boxes, and you need that "high school or other" box checked ASAP.
  • Build a good relationship with your advisors at community college and non-community college. They have seen a thousand people just like you, and know exactly what you want, and the best way to get it. Be honest with them and be respectful of their time. Some may be evangelical about the spiritual value of education, but most know that the higher ed system is hosed, and will appreciate the difficult position that you're in, as well as your honesty.

I've heard online/for-profit colleges can work if you are going into a field that's super skill-driven, like coding or cooking, because potential employers will just ask you to demonstrate your skills, and the degree is purely cursory. However I would assume that anything that CAN be a scam WILL be a scam.

Source: A few years ago I did pretty much exactly what you're trying to do, and it worked out. I have a great job for a great company and occasionally get offers to work overseas--temporarily and permanently--although so far nothing great.

Prof. Crocodile fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU