Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fire Force season 2 is the second season of Fire Force based on the manga created Atsushi Ōkubo (Also the creator of Soul Eater.) It's a fun interesting series that has become better as it progressed. And is starting to gain more of crazy creepy, but still funny stuff that made Soul Eater good. It can be watched on Crunchyroll.

The Setting
Fire Force takes place in the Great Tokyo Empire, 250 years after the Great Cataclysm that saw its founding where the majority of the world burned in flames. The Tokyo Empire was founded by Holy Emperor Raffles I who discovered the Genesis Flame, a Divine Spark of the Sun God Sol, in the ruins of Tokyo. Using the Flame's power a perpetual energy generator called Amaterasu was created, allowing the creation of the Tokyo Empire as the only place on the ravaged earth where people could have a decent standard of living.

The Tokyo Empire however faced a threat in the aftermath of the Cataclysm. Pyrokinetics people that would spontaneously combust and awaken to the power to manipulate flames in some way. The First Generation of these being demonic monsters known as Infernals. Other people who awakened to pyrokinetic abilities without turning into monsters were called second or third gen depending on their abilities. To combat the Infernals that anyone could turn into at any time, the Special Fire Force was founded, a union of the Empire's Fire Defense Agency, Tokyo Military, and the Holy Sol Temple, with funding and gear from the maintainers of Amaterasu Haijima Industries. Largely composed of Pyrokinetic Fire Soldiers, the Fire Force was given the task of putting all Infernals to rest.

While the how and why have not been cleared up at the end of season 1 it's discovered that the source of Infernals and the Great Cataclysm was the Underworld of Adolla a mysterious extra dimensional place that people who originally caught glimpses of it passed on stories of the place referring to it as Hell.

The characters
The story stars Fire Force Company 8 the most recently created Company tasked by the Fire Defense Agency to serve as a quasi internal affairs division, and to find out the cause of Spontaneous Human Combustion.

Shina Kusakabe

Shinra is a Third Gen Pyrokinetic (Can generate flames) and recent member of Company 8. The protagonist nicknamed the devil, due to his habit of smiling creepily when nervous and public belief that awakening to his pyrokinetic abilities burned his house down and caused the death of his mother and younger brother. He joined the Fire Force to try and find the source of Human Combustion, and later to recover his younger brother Sho who he discovered was still alive. Is obsessed with being a Hero that can save everyone. (Also has terrible naming sense for Hero things.)
His Ignition ability is Devil's Footprints which allows him to generate flames from his feet, allowing him to jet around and increase the power of his kicks. He was also discovered to be a holder of the Adolla Burst the pure flames of hell, allowing him to perform reality breaking heat manipulation, and this ability is somehow instrumental to the villains plans.

Arthur Boyle

A third gen Pyrokinetic that got his training with Shinra and formed a rivalry with him. Arthur is delusional and obsessed with knights believing himself to be one. And while shockingly insightful at times is well known as being an idiot. Something he almost obviously takes pride in.
His Ignition ability is Excalibur which allows him to create a blade of Plasma from an object. The strength and length of the blade depends on how knightly Arthur feels.

Sister Iris

A normal human. Iris is the eighth's representative of the Holy Sol Temple responsible for giving Infernals their last rites in the battle's against them. A sweet girl with a scary past, being one of the only two survivors of her covenant bursting into flames, all the other sisters burning to death horribly. Why this happened is unknown but it is currently believed that the villain group the White Clad was involved.

Captain Akitaru Obi

A normal human, Captain Obi is the leader of Company 8 and a former Firefighter. After seeing corruption and callousness in the Fire Force he formed the Eighth to do things his way and to try and get to the bottom of the mysteries of Human Combustion.

Lieutenant Takehisa Hinawa

A Second gen Pyrokinetic (Flame Manipulation), Hinawa is a loyal serious follower of Obi's and a Former member of the Tokyo Army. Due to his serious no nonsense demeanor the rest of the company are afraid of upsetting him. He is also noted to have terrible fashion sense.
His Ignition ability is Combustion manipulation, namely in relation to guns. Able to control how powerful the gunpowder explosion is in the gun is, he can dampen the strength of a gunshot to bb gun levels, or increase it (Though increasing it damages the guns) When firing bullets he can also manipulate the flames to follow the bullets and use them to alter the bullets trajectory at the cost of power, and when the bullets strike objects he can cause any sparks they create to combust and launch the bullet in a new direction.

Maki Oze

A Second gen Pyrokinetic and the strongest of the Eighth's Fire Soldiers. Maki like Hinawa is a former member of the Tokyo Army, and is noted as being a cool, serious, beauty most of the time. The rest of the time she is noted as a hopeless romantic with a flower garden where her brain is. She is also buff, and is embarrassed about it, considering it unattractive to the confusion of the rest of the cast.
Her Ignition Ability is Fire Animation. Allowing her to freely manipulate a fire's shape, strength, and appearance. She normally uses it to create little characters she dubs Sputter and Flare, but the ability is versatile enough to do nearly anything with fire. Her new favored weapons are a pair of massive Iron Gauntlets that she can telekinetically move around by putting Sputter and Flare in them.

Tamaki Kotatsu

A Third gen Pyrokinetic a member of Fire Force Company 1 on loan to the Eighth as disciplinary action to her. Tamaki is aggressive, and appears to be divinely cursed with absurd clumsiness that gets her into embarrassing situations. She is currently studying under Iris to become an officially anointed sister of the Holy Sol Temple to take some of the load off Iris.
Her Ignition Ability is Nekomata allowing her to generate flame cat ears, a pair of tails from her hips, and burner claws. Activating Nekomata also increases her agility.

Viktor Licht

A Hajima Scientist assigned to Company 8, while useful due to knowledge none of the other members trust him due to his working with Hajima Industries. He also is a traitor, being an informant for a mysterious criminal known as Joker.

Vulkan Joseph

The newest member of Company 8, a skilled Engineer whose Family originally created Amaterasu. He loves Animals and desires to build something like Amaterasu to restore the rest of the planet, and hopefully revive the endangered species of the world. Despises Hajima industries believing them to be responsible for the deaths of his father and grandfather.

The White Clad
A heretical branch of the Holy Sol Temple, marked for extermination by Holy Emperor Raffles III after the Fire Force discovered them. The main antagonists of the series, they worship an extra dimensional being from Adolla called the Evangelist, and are an apocalyptic cult who view the Great Cataclysm as a failed first attempt at their goal of turning the Earth into a second Sun. For their mysterious plan to redo the Cataclysm they require Pyrokinetics that have the Adolla Burst like Shinra.

Sho

Shinra's little brother stolen by the White Clad when he was a baby. Sho is a field commander for the White Clad and a holder of the Adolla Burst. With the Adolla Burst and the Grace of the Evangelist, he is capable of stopping time by manipulating the Heat Expansion of the Universe, an utter reality breaking ability. Shinra nearly convinced Sho to come with him at the end of Season 1, but Sho was recaptured and brainwashed by the White Clad Leader Haumea.

Haumea

The leader of the White Clad and Voice of the Evangelist. As the Evangelist's direct subordinate and the only one able to commune with them, she passes on the Evangelist's commands to the rest of the group. Haumea is also a holder of the Adolla Burst which allows her to manipulate electricity in some way, including the ability to brainwash people by messing with the electrical signals in the brain. Having been part of the White Clad since she was a tiny child, she is accompanied by her bodyguard Charon most of the time.

Joker

A Mysterious Pyrokinetic Criminal who has informed Shinra of several mysteries like the fact that his brother was alive. Seems to be against both the Fire Force and White Clad. Licht is his informant.
------------

Man I posted a lot about this series. Enjoy the Opening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLGtT8WuidM

And also some memorable moments from last season.
Hinawa being Cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FqJE9ohqY
Maki being Cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a8AZGgzK-U
Arthur kicking a little girl in the face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHHdxn0U-Y

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Post Arthur’s “steed”

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thanks for making a new thread MonsterEnvy. Here's the thread for the first season for posterity https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Arthur explaining his abilities and going to battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_14d4MExM

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope the big twist to this season is that is what Giovanni actually looks like underneath.

Also I'm in love with the opening.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A return to madness and creepy hell powers. Also Arthur being great.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love Arthur so much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Saw a clip of the simuldub. That means this is likely heading to Toonami.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man Inca is kind of an aggressively terrible person.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:rock: ROCK & ROLL :rock:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pure guessing makes me think Inca will join Joker's faction.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Quick Shina, explain to Inca you nearly die on a regular basis and she'll fall all over herself to join the 8th.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 2, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Charon's power is super impressive. And he's even more dangerous considering even if you get past his gimmick he can still take a hit.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 2, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Something I like about this show that a lot of other shonen fighting anime have a problem with is the fact that they've made the villains actually dangerous. Like, they're frequently responsible for the mass deaths of innocents, hell, they've practically already won before it even started. The world has been reduced to one last enclave and everyone lives under constant existential fear that one day they'll just burn up and take their loved ones with them.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
This arc feels a million episodes long already. What was the point of this entire sequence of Shina's fight with fuckin Piccolo if after all the twists and revelations he still just gets cold cocked out of the fight? Why not make the whole thing 5 minutes long and achieve the same ending?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Not Keyser Soze posted:

This arc feels a million episodes long already. What was the point of this entire sequence of Shina's fight with fuckin Piccolo if after all the twists and revelations he still just gets cold cocked out of the fight? Why not make the whole thing 5 minutes long and achieve the same ending?

He has not lost yet.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
My favorite thing about Charon is that his gimmick is like a bad faith reading of some obscure spell or feat in loving DND. Or abusing some dumb interaction in an arpg that was overlooked by the devs.

When his Bros beat him up to give him a power up I lost it.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Mordja posted:

Something I like about this show that a lot of other shonen fighting anime have a problem with is the fact that they've made the villains actually dangerous. Like, they're frequently responsible for the mass deaths of innocents, hell, they've practically already won before it even started. The world has been reduced to one last enclave and everyone lives under constant existential fear that one day they'll just burn up and take their loved ones with them.

Yeah but then I do feel the general tone doesn't really gel with that, like a little bit into the manga there's two characters just having goofy funtimes next to the still-smoldering corpse of a child. And one of them was directly involved in that child being in a position to die horribly and she shrugs that off in a single thought bubble. It'd work if they were all horrible nihilists but not when you're also doing the I'LL BE THE GREATEST HERO AND MAMORU ALL THE VILLAGES thing.

Soul Eater did the same thing but the world outside the school was so sketchy in that none of it felt like it mattered at all.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that's the thing with Okubo: He is good at something like invoking the manga equivalent of a "spectacle fighter" videogame feel. And yeah, sometimes that's all you need for things to work.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy posted:

As stated Inca aggressively terrible person. She seems to have no empathy or morals whatsoever.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

As stated Inca aggressively terrible person. She seems to have no empathy or morals whatsoever.

She really loving is, at least Panda had a beautifully drawn death holy poo poo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
She's this weird mix of solipsist and fatalist.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
She's worse than Charon lmao at least he killed that dude instantly

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tabletops posted:

She's worse than Charon lmao at least he killed that dude instantly

He also was not Charon's friend.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I was expecting Inca to join the bad guys but not quite that hard.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Well that was three episodes that could have been one. I guess we're back to pyromancy DBZ, huh.

I may be forgetting something from world building in season 1 but do the Sisters actually DO anything concrete when it comes to defeating infernals? Do they need to do their faith ritual like D&D clerics or is it just ecumenical placebo?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's just part of the faith of the people of the Tokyo Empire. They believe in order for an Infernal to be at peace after death, that a member of Holy Sol Temple's Clergy has to give them their last rites.

Haumea points out during the battles with the infernals that the Fire Force is needlessly handicapping themselves by not killing infernals until one of the clergy prays for them.

Tamaki is even going with the peninsula group as a Sister.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I unironically want the rest of this season to just be these people getting completely blasted right before shounen anime fights.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

We need more Chinese Peninsula Gas Fender Benders.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The animation of Tamaki's hallucinatory phone call was oddly remarkable

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Aww just realized they cut a funny joke after reading the manga this episode covered. Namely that Juggernauts Potato speech was over the whole day.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it wasn't even really a joke in the anime. he provided some potato facts when prompted, is all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh and this was the cover of the chapter when they started tripping.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh and this was the cover of the chapter when they started tripping.

This is FROM something...

... but I don’t remember what.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
it's a reference to the album art to In the Court of the Crimson King

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it wasn't even really a joke in the anime. he provided some potato facts when prompted, is all.

That's a little unfortunate and it's wild to see Juggernaut without his gear. Still, I guess they wanted to get to the plot and action as fast as they could, but still.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I. M. Gei posted:

This is FROM something...

... but I don’t remember what.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love Arthur so much.

Just watched the latest episode. Not an empty quote.

Also, the demon internal just wants to die, that's kinda sad. Not the best reason to blow up a significant portion of the world, but there's been worse.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wait but what does Pi have to do with Tabernacle? Idk but I hope to find out soon. So from what we seen maybe the woman in the Tabernacle is capable of giving Shinra an Evangelist's Grace. But that just makes more questions.

Hottest Take Tamaki will be useful in this fight and not accidentally strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Annointed posted:

Hottest Take Tamaki will be useful in this fight and not accidentally strip.

You already know the answer to this.