Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
As far as I can tell club gives you:
Create and join clubs
Access private club maps, campaigns, servers, rankings, skins
Host public dedicated servers (self hosted or use TM servers)
Ability to use custom car skins
Register and compete in official Trackmania Open Grand League

If you want to play on a private server with friends, I think only one person needs club access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Chinook posted:

What does club add, really? I bought a year of 'standard' for $10 and I don't see what I'm missing..

This game is very good.
Here's a precise breakdown of the confusing version stupidity.

https://gamespot1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/1596/15969599/3693491-trackmaniaoffers.jpg

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I don't care that it was 9 minutes into track of the day, this is my magnum opus. And yes that's the ahegao face skin, fite me.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
What is a good club to join, or a good term to search for, to find tracks that are suitable for newbs learning the game? I feel like I've had a bit of a bad run recently, jumping into clubs, and onto servers, where the tracks are, from my untrained eye, lovely, inscrutable bollocks.

I'm sure the tracks aren't *bad* (though I do dislike tracks that aren't well *readable*, same as in Trials), but there is zero point in bashing my head against the Trackmania version of a Trials ninja track, because for my current skill level, I simply won't be able to learn anything.

Trials at least gives you a hundred-plus tracks across multiple skill-tiers for you to cut your teeth on. The handful of training tracks, and the summer events tracks, aren't as effective, in terms of learning the ropes.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Oh, hey there! I could swear there was a game named TrackMania already.

...So it seems I can't join the club without the highest tier subscription? drat, well bye then I guess.

Really, this game exists because of community building. Some of the top teams in the TM community formed in the free demo versions of the original (paid) TrackMania games. Currently you can't even add a team tag to your name or chat, if you have the free version. And apparently custom content creation is very restricted too. I think they might be shooting themselves in the foot here, as we can also see in this thread: there's not much community stuff we can do without having everyone pay the $30 subscription, and this thread seems a lot shorter than previous TrackMania threads some time after release as a result. What is everyone doing after finishing the training and Summer 2020 campaigns? Even the TM Exchange for the new game seems kind of dead.

I'm also not very interested in paying for the game again since I've already paid for Stadium three times: as TM United, TM2 Stadium, and TM Turbo (and technically by registering my TMO/TMS keys in TM Nations ESWC). Okay, they added ice, but other surfaces and basic physics are the same. I might change my mind if they do substantial content updates or reintroduce some of the additional environments from the old games, or new ones.

e: Oh, look at the logo: this game actually seems to be called TrackNania. That also solves the confusion with TrackMania (2003). Please fix the thread title.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 17, 2020

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Of course there's a thread for this, it's a pretty good iteration of Trackmania. I instantly fell in love with the raised track parts, but the daily tracks have turned out to be pretty fun as well. It's always great to hear people having trouble with the ice, the bobsled track parts can be pretty fun in their own way.

When I'm not doing the dailies, I play in the Giant Bomb Unofficial Classic server, which is like a rolling snowball of server mods and custom tracks. I doubt I'll bother with club access, standard access has been really worthwhile so far though.

Any y'all do a pod race yet? :haw: Boost up, super turbo, and on sand with just recharging checkpoints and no actual track

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Raised track parts, huh, what is that?

Oh, you mean the sausage road!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jehde posted:

Of course there's a thread for this, it's a pretty good iteration of Trackmania. I instantly fell in love with the raised track parts, but the daily tracks have turned out to be pretty fun as well. It's always great to hear people having trouble with the ice, the bobsled track parts can be pretty fun in their own way.

When I'm not doing the dailies, I play in the Giant Bomb Unofficial Classic server, which is like a rolling snowball of server mods and custom tracks. I doubt I'll bother with club access, standard access has been really worthwhile so far though.

Any y'all do a pod race yet? :haw: Boost up, super turbo, and on sand with just recharging checkpoints and no actual track

I'm gradually vibing more with the game. Obviously part of that is just getting used to the mechanics of driving, but that goes without saying. I'd say the greatest "challenge" has been getting used to, as it were, the way you are expected to play.

For example, early on I struggled a bit with the notion of jumping into a server to get a measily few minutes to bash my head at a track that I can't figure out how to finish at all. What use is 5 minutes of fruitless mooching about not knowing what do do, or how to beat an obstacle. In trials, I'd just grind a track over and over, for hours sometimes, figuring things out on my own terms. But the expectation in TM is that you'll stay on that server, and you'll rotate back onto the track, and hopefully the next 5 minute try-out sees you get a little bit further, be a little bit faster.

I definitely began to enjoy the game more as I made peace with those expectations. I also started to play the game more and more, and the ratio of 'solo' vs 'online' shifted almost entirely to 'online'. Those 5 minutes spent on a track I can't even finish stopped being something that raised my hackles, because I learned to go with the flow.

The *other* thing I did was realise that sometimes I need *digital throttle*. The default controller mappings are great, and it is enjoyably playable with analogue throttle and brake, but often, if you aren't using digital throttle, you are just hamstringing yourself. There are a *bunch* of gold and author medals I now have that solely came down to me racing the track with digital throttle instead of analogue.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Right. TM does not have analogue throttle/brake so if you have it mapped to an analogue axis you just make it harder for yourself by being able to respond slower. Many situations in Stadium also require pressing gas and brake at the same time which you cannot do with that setup.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

When I first got back into it, I tried to play how I always used to play trackmania, which was with arrow keys. But I noticed how much movement I needed between all fingers on the keys so close together, and it was getting uncomfortable fast. Guess just getting old or something? I've switched over to just using the controller, and I don't find too much hindrance with the non-digital steering input.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
TM does have analogue steering, and it seems like it can be an advantage on the ice.
Keyboard players often map their brake key to somewhere else on the keyboard, like shift, to be able to press gas+brake+steer at the same time. I've used WS for gas/brake with left hand and the arrow keys to steer with the right hand.
Current setup is gas/brake with the arrow keys, and steer with a joystick with the other hand.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
What's the purpose of gas+brake?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

~Coxy posted:

One goes and one stops.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Arsonide posted:

One goes and one stops.

Oh, come oooooooooOOooooon! :argh: Give us the secret sauce for reliably inducing slides, and controlling them reliably!

So... Did today's update, like, turn on skill-based match-making or something? I'm finding myself placed in pools of players whereby I'm finishing much higher than I used to. Even starting to see top-5 finishes! I'm having to earn them, so be sure. But they are *there*. Earlier on, my bar was, 'did I finish inside the top 50%?'

I'm continuing to vibe ever more with the game. That drive to squeeze out the best possible run, so long as there are seconds left to do it... And really reacting to how other racers are doing, and really, really not wanting to fall down the ranks if at all possible.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

~Coxy posted:

Drifting mainly, and air control.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Enjoying today's daily track, The Cave, even if I'm bad at it. It's a combination of raised track, flat ice, and bobsled track. A fun mix of all the new stuff.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 27, 2020

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Jehde posted:

Enjoying today's daily track, The Cave, even if I'm bad at it. It's a combination of raised track, flat ice, and bobsled track. A fun mix of all the new stuff.

the track of the day system is awesome and they've been really sweet lately.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Why can you not report the 1 second times at the tops of the leaderboards when the match ends.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
just drive faster & beat their time

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

Why can you not report the 1 second times at the tops of the leaderboards when the match ends.

There is a *bunch* of messed up stuff happening with online play at the moment. Was it one player in particular that you saw with impossibly short times, or was there a fair amount of it? Certainly when I was playing last night I had a healthy dose of:

* Finishing matches with a negative time
* Normal checkpoints ending the race, seemingly at random
* Multi-lap races absolutely unable to go beyond the first lap
* Checkpoints giving absurd deltas
* Player ghosts doing just about anything other than tracing out what a given player did

This was affecting TotD, Arcade, and all the player servers I tried hopping onto.

The 'negative time' one was especially annoying, because it meant you couldn't get a trophy for the time you actually managed; it just borked that run entirely. A close second to that being the fact that the checkpoint mess would give you wholly erroneous medals/PBs (hopefully it is something Nadeo can clean up, or is that asking too much? Red Lynx would occasionally do sweeps of leaderboards to fix or remove obviously busted times).

I saw some chat that implied that it is an issue with a specific version of the server software.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Oh, I didn't actually know that Trackmania supported laps. (One of the rotations I played was a Mario Kart server so I just assumed that the "normal checkpoint ends the race" was a limitation in the track editor.) That explains some of the weird behaviour I saw last night.

The actual times were 3-4 spots on the leaderboard that were all 1.xx seconds, usually the exact same down to the hundredths. The other 10-15 players all had legit times.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

Oh, I didn't actually know that Trackmania supported laps. (One of the rotations I played was a Mario Kart server so I just assumed that the "normal checkpoint ends the race" was a limitation in the track editor.) That explains some of the weird behaviour I saw last night.

The actual times were 3-4 spots on the leaderboard that were all 1.xx seconds, usually the exact same down to the hundredths. The other 10-15 players all had legit times.

I'd put that down to whatever is borked with the servers at the moment. The negative times I saw (and got myself at times) exhibited similar to what you describe - the multiple players having negative times frequently having the *same* negative time. Usually in a range of -1.xxx to -1.5xx or something like that.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Nadeo are some of the most incompetent developers to have ever lucked into running a cool game franchise, but I haven't seen anything as bad as their current failure to record times properly in a long time. There seems to be a huge issue with cheated times, something that they've had the last 15 years to address but only seems to have gotten worse. In the first few days, they just lost records. And now there's this weird stuff going on on the servers. In a game that is all about setting fast times, that is kind of inexcusable.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
It's funny not funny I was spending some time earlier just doing on-line campaign, and while there were definitely still issues (ghosts wigging out, for example), I was reliably getting runs in, and getting reliable, legit times. Oh, they're on the case perhaps, I thought to myself.

Then I hopped onto the TotD server, and HOLY gently caress, what a nightmare. A nightmare! Crazy frame drops (down to 22fps at one point!), and while I managed to get at least a single run in, I then fell foul of the negative-time thing. But not just me. Oh no. *Everyone*.

And then the game crashed. :eng99:

Today's track seems neat, but, well, think I'll stick to 'solo' play for now.

Edit: That said, I did see a tweet just now that indicates they have some fixes soon to deploy. Fingers and toes crossed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
trackmania 2020 on console when

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Never, hopefully

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
wow rude

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
TM has never been very suited for console since it's all about customization. The TOTDs now also tend to be modded to hell with custom blocks. They did release TM Turbo on console as more of a fixed game that was more about completing the campaign.

Abx0r
Jan 12, 2007
Objection!
Doing the track of the day right when it releases and being number 1 in my region really makes me feel good about my awful trackmania skills.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
yeah I actually just randomly re-installed it this week, I really love time trials racers and leaderboards and especially the segmented world/nation/state ones in that game. idk that my laptop could run this but since it's free I might just try.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Entropist posted:

TM has never been very suited for console since it's all about customization. The TOTDs now also tend to be modded to hell with custom blocks. They did release TM Turbo on console as more of a fixed game that was more about completing the campaign.

I feel like there is a middle ground there, in principle. Not that I'm saying it would happen; just musing...

Skins? People make wildly creative stuff with vehicle skins in plenty of games (Forza, for example). Custom tracks? Trials on every platform ships with the same editor used to create the campaign tracks, with global, cross-platform track sharing. Custom server software would be a PC only thing, but if the platform holder isn't hosting the servers, then I don't see that'd it'd intrinsically preclude console players *connecting* to it, assuming this was mediated via a publisher-managed gateway. The thing where the publisher is providing the hosted servers, less of an issue.

Custom soundtracks would be a big issue for platform holders though, I'd imagine.

I played a bunch of TM Turbo on PS4. A fine enough game, but the specific implementation of gating of access to tracks as you progressed struck me as needlessly hardcore, compared to Trials (pre Trials Rising, which does its own dumb, different thing).

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 29, 2020

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Let's also not forget the mediatracker, that seems complex to operate with a gamepad!

Apparently yesterday's TOTD had copyrighted music in it...

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Today's daily is fun. It's tight, twisty, and fast. A lot of staples you expect from custom fullspeed tracks, but in rapid succession. It's not too difficult, but definitely a sort of sprint.

I have noticed the ghosts getting really wonky lately, but I don't mind it too much. I also don't pay attention to other peoples' times much. It's all kind of window dressing to me, so.

To me TrackMania is an inherently solo gameplay experience, just with a robust community around it. I also don't care too much about getting regional records, or anything that requires playing a given track for longer than like half an hour. It's fun to see how my profile ranks sometimes, but it's usually just more so surprising how many people are playing this game in my province. I just like to drive on the fun tracks and see how shiny of a medal I can get.

As such, Nadeo offering this :10bux: deal for a year of daily tracks and access to club rooms with custom track playlists is :pcgaming:

I'm just really enjoying the experience of logging in for the daily and having a bunch of people on the same server sharing tips and chatting about the track. To me it's TrackMania at its best.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Make sure to look for the mice in todays totd.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
I’m still really enjoying this game. I don’t believe there’s a “hey I’m trying to stream” thread, but I’ll be streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/banzai324 for the next few hours. Would love for folks to join - happy to chill and bullshit for a bit.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been a big Trackmania fan since Sunrise days. I gave this a go but...eh.

The Stadium environment was always the least interesting to me. Drifting seems to require a higher speed for it to work than it used to. The new physics of the dirt sections are fun. The flat "ground" sections suck. The ice sections are also pretty awful.

I went back and reinstalled Trackmania Turbo and I'm having way more fun with that. Why did everybody hate this one?

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

H13 posted:

I've been a big Trackmania fan since Sunrise days. I gave this a go but...eh.

The Stadium environment was always the least interesting to me. Drifting seems to require a higher speed for it to work than it used to. The new physics of the dirt sections are fun. The flat "ground" sections suck. The ice sections are also pretty awful.

I went back and reinstalled Trackmania Turbo and I'm having way more fun with that. Why did everybody hate this one?

poor online capabilities i think? i miss the lagoon car and the international theme that turbo had. i’m still enjoying this a lot though!!

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
magimix, I hope you appreciate our unspoken rivalry as the only two goons [somewhat] consistently doing the track of the day :D I like that we seem pretty close skill-wise, most of our times are within a second or two of each other, which usually pushes me to keep improving.

Abx0r
Jan 12, 2007
Objection!
Could I get accepted into the goon club please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Hey y'all, I was out for awhile recovering from surgery but I'm back at my desk again! I approved all the outstanding join requests and Spectracide I made you an admin as well since it looks like you're around a lot too. Hopefully you'll start seeing my ghosts again soon.

I also uploaded a glowing eyesore skin I made to the club.

Sikreci fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 14, 2020