Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Automatic Slim posted:

All these people are old now.

Most of them were old at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Most of them were old at the time.

I was about to say the same. You have to wonder how many were labouring away in lovely groove metal and hardcore bands until they decided to play in Drop D, pleat their beards and hire a DJ to milk this nu metal thing.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's interesting how "drop D" has become synonymous with Nu Metal, I can't think of many bands in the genre that actually played in it. Probably a whole pile of bedroom players with line 6 spider 2 combos though.
Sure more acts than I can list used drop tunings (primarily Db and C) , but normally lower than D.
A lot of bands used standard intervals despite tuning down for example KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Static X. Many of Wes Borland's riffs and more melodic parts really lean on having that high string the same note as the lowest, guy loves his octaves.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

Linkin Park... good?

https://twitter.com/linkinpark/status/1284685829575565312

For reference, since they got Trump's taken down: https://streamable.com/0vnz8u

Linkin Park has always been good. :colbert:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

These guys are probably in their 40s but are still dressing on stage like they are 26 in 2001. Its like if you play this kind of music you're stuck in an infinite loop of bad haircuts and spiky leather cuffs.

Zombiejack
Jan 16, 2006
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
I overall prefered it to the unfunny, uninsightful, pretentious and frankly dull hipsters/'geeks'/whatever this is we've become as a people, it may have been stupid, trashy and devoid of self awarenes but at least it was fun.

Zombiejack fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 19, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

guy in the red shirt raped 2 15-year-olds

hard to believe with a face like that, I know

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Joining a band is supposed to be cool, and those guys do that with the opportunity.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Caesar Saladin posted:

Joining a band is supposed to be cool, and those guys do that with the opportunity.

LMAO my man's you are on point right now.

Also I wonder if alien ant farm guy is still doing the dumbass inverted mohawk and also his "best " song is a cover

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I found a thing on youtube from this thread and that's that there's a genre of video that is basically "x reacts to heavy metal song" with vocal coach and black person being the two most common values for X. The entire thing just exists to validate middle aged white guys music tastes. It's really cool.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I found a thing on youtube from this thread and that's that there's a genre of video that is basically "x reacts to heavy metal song" with vocal coach and black person being the two most common values for X. The entire thing just exists to validate middle aged white guys music tastes. It's really cool.

there are tons of these for guitar channels too, usually just a boring guitar teacher going "whoaaa! pretty neat!"

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Automatic Slim posted:

All these people are old now.

Not fair, Wayne Static isn't old.

He's dead

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Also old people and young people.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

These are worse than nu-metal imo.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's this in real life and you know what that's fine we could all do with a little bit of encouragement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAIJD5OA4y0

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

These are worse than nu-metal imo.
Yeah, that's true as hard as it is to imagine. Once I've fallen into the "x reacts" trap after searching for a specific music video and there's definitely a pretty satisfying element in them like you're showing your favorite band to a fake friend so you get this desire to see what they think about all your favorite stuff. But within a few videos it was clear that they're not providing any criticism or even a clear opinion and ultimately these videos are absolutely pointless.

The one exception I saw was one vocal coach actually analyzing the performances and goes into detailed discussions of technique. E.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7F30L1xKU4. Most others are just jerking off the performers to get the thumbs up from their stupid fans.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I was listening to Fear Factory's Obsolete earlier and between that and Digimortal I have no idea how they continually escape the nu metal label (at least for those albums).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I know some people who would cut me off forever if I sent them this

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, that's true as hard as it is to imagine. Once I've fallen into the "x reacts" trap after searching for a specific music video and there's definitely a pretty satisfying element in them like you're showing your favorite band to a fake friend so you get this desire to see what they think about all your favorite stuff. But within a few videos it was clear that they're not providing any criticism or even a clear opinion and ultimately these videos are absolutely pointless.

The one exception I saw was one vocal coach actually analyzing the performances and goes into detailed discussions of technique. E.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7F30L1xKU4. Most others are just jerking off the performers to get the thumbs up from their stupid fans.

I likened it more to a Minstrel show because its usually some poor black guy being forced to listen to the whitest music imaginable for entertainment of the viewer (the ones in my feed were primus and tool) but your version works too i guess.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I listened to a lot of Disturbed.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Imagine getting gibbed by freddy d lmao

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Is RATM nu-metal? I don't care, they're loving amazing.

Silent in error and vocal in spotlights
Lying always, sucking on a bottle of
That sweet indulgent fluid
Oh greed, oh yes, oh greed, oh yes

Written in the 90s, applies today more than ever

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Eh, if anything they are one the chief progenitors of it along with Faith No More, Suicidal Tendencies, etc. As this thread shows its a really weird genre in that for some people its "any metal band from 1996-2004 and for others its way more drilled down to a more specific definition.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Zombiejack posted:

I overall prefered it to the unfunny, uninsightful, pretentious and frankly dull hipsters/'geeks'/whatever this is we've become as a people, it may have been stupid, trashy and devoid of self awarenes but at least it was fun.

American and western european culture has been over for a while but the renaissance never ended if you like bands from eastern europe with random dudes in hoodies and puffer jackets standing around on stage with the people actually playing music

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Sleep Now in the Fire came on the radio a few days ago

“Raise your fists and march around, just don’t take what you need” is so incredibly on point for 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've been listening to Rage Against the Machine recently, and a lot of what they're saying is very close to mainstream now.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rage Against The Machine- numetal
Faith no More- numetal
Suicidal Tendencies- not numetal, but only listen to the first album

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is Demolition by Judas Priest numetal? At the time I felt like they were trying to cash in on the fad but now it just looks influenced by the times (like all their albums) but very distinct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG9dsv2_Ouc

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If you listen to RATM's first album like start to finish, you'll find out along with me and everyone else that has listened to it in the last few years, that Zach De La Rocha is some kind of insane prophet

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

also rage is definitely one of the sources of nu-metal imo but it's also like how iron butterfly is a progenitor of metal or something; it's not of the thing!!!

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Riot Bimbo posted:

If you listen to RATM's first album like start to finish, you'll find out along with me and everyone else that has listened to it in the last few years, that Zach De La Rocha is some kind of insane prophet

Absolutely

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Riot Bimbo posted:

also rage is definitely one of the sources of nu-metal imo but it's also like how iron butterfly is a progenitor of metal or something; it's not of the thing!!!

essentially every nu metal band would list RATM as a huge influence. nu metal was kids that grew up listening to NWA, Slayer, and RATM and decided to mash everything together, normally badly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

90% of everything is crap.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

THE 21 GREATEST NU-METAL ALBUMS OF ALL TIME – RANKED

I guess we've hit the point where there's nostalgia for nu metal. I can't think of anything missing from that list, but I'm not sure I'd want to admit to it if I could.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Eh, if anything they are one the chief progenitors of it along with Faith No More, Suicidal Tendencies, etc. As this thread shows its a really weird genre in that for some people its "any metal band from 1996-2004 and for others its way more drilled down to a more specific definition.

I saw some chart and literally every top metal song from 1994-2010 was nu metal. From 2010 onward it was all loving Megadeath or Black Sabbath.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Every time it pops into my head, I have to share this video with someone. This thread seems to be the most appropriate place, as the unfortunately-named subgenre 'Wigger Slam' appears an offshoot of Nu-Metal and Deathcore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkp48SZ0Gf4

Peep that drum kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

ultrafilter posted:

THE 21 GREATEST NU-METAL ALBUMS OF ALL TIME – RANKED

I guess we've hit the point where there's nostalgia for nu metal. I can't think of anything missing from that list, but I'm not sure I'd want to admit to it if I could.

quote:

Nu-metal was heavy music’s gateway drug,
Very unfair to lots of people who started with punk or non-nu metal

quote:

and while today you might only listen to first pressings of Sunn O))) records and Darkthrone demos, we know - and you know - that at one point in your life you were sure that Mudvayne invented music

:wrong: :wrong: :wrong: :wrong: :wrong:

That whole article makes me squeamish