Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
My connection has been dropping for about 24 hours now, always in the same pattern. It'll be up for a short time (anywhere between 10 minutes and 10 seconds), drop for about a minute and repeat. Looking at the router itself, the VDSL light goes off for about 30 seconds, blinks a bit then comes back. The router doesn't feel hot or anything. We've had my sister in law and her husband move in the day before all this started but I think it's likely to be a coincidence, they're not using any kinds of device we're not already using (phones, laptops, Alexa). It affecting all devices equally.

There are no known problems with the network and I've tried changing the DNS to OpenDNS, flushed the DNS, tried a wired connection, factory reset the router and of course a few power cycles, which have done nothing.
Under WAN status in the router, the Bridge and PPPoE keep going from Connected to Initializing to Connecting over and over, as does the DSL Line Status. I can always get into my router's configuration from my desktop.

I'm on PlusNet Fibre in the UK and it's generally been solid until now. Just want to know if there's anything I can do before resorting to calling the ISP with the associated wait and cost involved. I don't have a spare router unfortunately but if it does sound like that might be the issue I'm willing to buy a cheap one to try. The router is a TP-Link TD-9970.

I'm at kind of a loss, intermittent connection problems like this are a nightmare because you think you've fixed it then 10 minutes later it craps out again.

I know that's not a great deal to go on but even if someone could give me a potential avenue of inquiry or a way to hone in on the problem, that'd be great.

Sorry if I've missed anything but keen to get this posted before it dies entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Thanks for the response, it's mostly behaving for now so I'm not losing any packets, I'll ping them again when it inevitably drops. I cracked and phoned my ISP, expecting them to shrug at me since they don't find any issues for most people who post on their forums about intermittent connections but they did a line test and will be sending an engineer out tomorrow as apparently we're losing connectivity every four minutes or something other than a few grace periods, so we'll see where that ends up.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

This is now solved, a tree branch was loving with our internet wires, all solved now. Will be installing the new firmware and keeping the ping command in mind for next time, thanks!