Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what is the Radiance, in this context?
Euronymous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what is the Radiance, in this context?

if the black egg is the SA server and jeffrey's locked himself in there it's probably whatever computer toucher of a professor harmed him when he was studying for the certification nerds need to get good at their jobs

Master J Plus
Apr 20, 2010

by Hand Knit
Cant wait to see all you jabronies go tbh

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Spinz posted:

Skullmund for a bit. I wanted an alternative to SA, another place to post. :thunk:

Then it started to change.
Dad Gay absolutely made me leave. Pretty suddenly I was a oval office and the n word everywhere, totally mysogynistic stuff, forced coprophagia avatars, it was awful.

I think you joined toward the end of the original owner's reign. I remember seeing your posts about the time I quit visiting. I'd check in once a week or so and it went full r-word almost overnight with the slurs, avs, etc. as soon as it changed hands. Not that it was as pc as SA to start with but it basically became the Dad Gay's Stormfront Alternative.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's cool that without an entrenched power structure to rail against, the natural instinct of gbs goons is fascism

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I think you joined toward the end of the original owner's reign. I remember seeing your posts about the time I quit visiting. I'd check in once a week or so and it went full r-word almost overnight with the slurs, avs, etc. as soon as it changed hands. Not that it was as pc as SA to start with but it basically became the Dad Gay's Stormfront Alternative.

i became very ill and couldn't really keep a lid on things for a while, so things happened

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.
I found SA through Cliff yablonski and the front page never clicked on the forums for years. Finally joined to read the Photoshop threads. I would migrate to an off-site with similar rules and moderation.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i became very ill and couldn't really keep a lid on things for a while, so things happened

I saw you were in the thread, but left it up to you to claim ownership...lol. It was good when it started and had some good NSFW threads, etc. I poster a handful of times and there were a few former goons there that were fun to see posting again. Hope you're doing better.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I saw you were in the thread, but left it up to you to claim ownership...lol. It was good when it started and had some good NSFW threads, etc. I poster a handful of times and there were a few former goons there that were fun to see posting again. Hope you're doing better.

thanks yeah i'm fine. i recovered after being sick for like a year, took a look at skullmund, realized i couldn't fix it and hit the delete button. now's it run by a very nice weirdo from frisia who loves skulls and monster energy drinks with a childlike enthusiasm that i wish i could feel for anything.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think the problem of all the regular offsites is they're spearheaded by people who want power over the forums but don't have it. Basically the absolute worst sort of people, the overall intent may be good but the person asking for the keys is guaranteed to be someone you don't want having them. When poo poo was crumbling I took a peak at basically every known option outside of discord and they all largely suffered from this same flaw, I was about ready to write off "being a member of internet forums" as a hobby if worst came to worst.

If jeffrey made an offsite though it'd probably be fine, guy clearly just likes the site and visibly doesn't want to get involved in anything beyond the technical end. He's sometimes forced to and sometimes goofs in those situations, but I perpetually get the impression he'd rather not mod at all if given the choice and honestly that's what I'd want from whoever ends up behind the wheel.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Yes he has a real shot because all different flavors of posters like him.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'd prefer if jeffery kept his "jefferyofyospos" account for like the formal things, and just did his everyday posting on his Sid Vicious account though. it gets blurry when he mixes them

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

I think the problem of all the regular offsites is they're spearheaded by people who want power over the forums but don't have it. Basically the absolute worst sort of people, the overall intent may be good but the person asking for the keys is guaranteed to be someone you don't want having them. When poo poo was crumbling I took a peak at basically every known option outside of discord and they all largely suffered from this same flaw, I was about ready to write off "being a member of internet forums" as a hobby if worst came to worst.

If jeffrey made an offsite though it'd probably be fine, guy clearly just likes the site and visibly doesn't want to get involved in anything beyond the technical end. He's sometimes forced to and sometimes goofs in those situations, but I perpetually get the impression he'd rather not mod at all if given the choice and honestly that's what I'd want from whoever ends up behind the wheel.

either that or its the exact opposite where the forum is just a ruleless wild west that ultimately devolves into people just posting slurs and scat

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

JakeP posted:

either that or its the exact opposite where the forum is just a ruleless wild west that ultimately devolves into people just posting slurs and scat

honestly would rather have that happen again repeatedly than press a button (that wasn't deleting a subforum)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

JakeP posted:

Presumably there'd still be mods that still "cultivated" content which is fine, I just don't want anyone that's obviously salivating for that sort of job to be the owner of the site. It's absolutely ideal that whoever is in charge considers that whole thing a chore rather than a privilege.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ArbitraryC posted:

Presumably there'd still be mods that still "cultivated" content which is fine, I just don't want anyone that's obviously salivating for that sort of job to be the owner of the site. It's absolutely ideal that whoever is in charge considers that whole thing a chore rather than a privilege.

you can't trust anyone who'd do something just out of duty, at the very least they eventually get worn out

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

you can't trust anyone who'd do something just out of duty, at the very least they eventually get worn out

That's what the mods are for. Rotate through em regularly.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the site is gonna need a crack team of content cultivators who sticky any thread with a picture in it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Agent Escalus posted:

Lmao if you think Bread&Roses can avoid the same drama flameout fate as all Goons-stomping-off sites. Have you seen their "SA's legacy and capitalism are toxic" forum rules? It's going to devolve from an uptight echo chamber into endless petty fights over accusations of supremacism and getting "triggered."

From the short time I've spent exploring that site, the admins ar already embroiled in sex harassment scandals, so I kinda doubt its longevity.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Blow in my ear and I'll follow you anywhere

Which is to say I'm too old to function on the internet without Goons to guide me and I'll probably miss the mass exodus and never find the promised land on my own.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
This site was founded by an absentee landlord rear end in a top hat, and by golly, any offsite will fail unless they do the same.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Just sayin'...

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Oswald Kesselpot posted:

Just sayin'...

Is this it? Is this the moment?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's hapoppoening!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
excuse me, moderator here, there seems to be posters making posts in this thread and also it exists. i'm shutting it down.
off to the gas chamber with you thread, op get in your cell.

if i see the rest of you posters making posts elsewhere you'll be in there too!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My love for these forums was reaffirmed by both of the first two comments being The Lost World references

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Oswald Kesselpot posted:

Just sayin'...

:chanpop:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

steinrokkan posted:

From the short time I've spent exploring that site, the admins ar already embroiled in sex harassment scandals, so I kinda doubt its longevity.

Their head admin is a permabanned user who regularly reregs here to pick fights despite claiming they don’t want anything to do with this site over there.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I've known about Something Awful since the early aughts and enjoyed reading the Photoshop Phridays, Comedy Goldmines, and WTF D&D?!? articles. I never joined because I didn't want to pay :10bux: to post on the Internet. I finally joined in 2017 because I wanted a place to shitpost that wasn't full of Nazis and bigots.

I really don't want Something Awful to disappear because I generally like the posting community here. The site has such a wide array of posters with different professions and interests, and it's fun to just chat and laugh about politics and Star Trek with fellow goons. It'd suck to have it get broken because the owner is a wifebeating, pill-popping, pathological liar of a dickhead. I get and am 100% in favor of no longer supporting Lowtax with my :10bux: should the sale to JoY fall through, and I'm definitely interested in jumping to a Site B if it opens up.

All of this just loving sucks.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

corgski posted:

Their head admin is a permabanned user who regularly reregs here to pick fights despite claiming they don’t want anything to do with this site over there.

Also he PMs posters for nude pics. Pretty sure I'll pass.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Also she PMs posters for nude pics. Pretty sure I'll pass.

ftfy unless you’re not talking about B2

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i'm passing the time watching all the threads about lowtax/mods get gassed.
what are you lot up to whilst we wait for salvation?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Strumpie posted:

Curating my dicks folder.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Strumpie posted:

Curating my dick.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oswald Kesselpot posted:

Just sayin'...
This is the way

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I would rush to Site B, and I would not stop on the way.
Cyka Blyat!

Also anyone in this or the main Tax threads will be condemned to a new subforum called Zyklon B.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've been wanting a name change since the day after I registered, so yeah I'd go someplace else to lurk and post maybe twice in a year.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Strumpie posted:

Yea a thousand pages wasn't enough
CMON
this could take a month or more

In the meantime every selfban I see in GBS breaks my heart

Falling Ban

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chomp8645 posted:

Can we have a boobs thread at Site B?

Only if site B is forums.buxombraful.com otherwise no.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Strumpie posted:

im doing things off the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
id pony up for site b.