Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I’m glad I caught up with the history of this thread being moved because for a minute there I was dumbstruck that someone would make a c-spam thread asking people to call their representatives, of all things

night danger posted:

what's the average family income of foreign students in the US? because I bet it's not a class anyone would shed tears for if they were citizens.

edit:

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/international-students-united-states

Won't somebody please think of the international elite???

lol at using NYU as representative of average international students, or average anything. I’d be shocked if most int’l students didn’t go to public institutions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

night danger posted:

what's the average family income of foreign students in the US? because I bet it's not a class anyone would shed tears for if they were citizens.

edit:

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/international-students-united-states

Won't somebody please think of the international elite???

who gives a gently caress. it's an explicitly white supremacist policy that you should oppose on that basis alone. if you think this kind of policy won't be extended to DACA students next you aren't paying attention.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

QUEER FRASIER posted:

lol at using NYU as representative of average international students, or average anything. I’d be shocked if most int’l students didn’t go to public institutions
Maybe true, but even at a public institution, nobody who can afford international student tuition & associated costs is, again, anyone we'd be shedding tears for if they were citizens.

If you have stats that show otherwise then I'd be happy to change my opinion.

Famethrowa posted:

who gives a gently caress. it's an explicitly white supremacist policy that you should oppose on that basis alone.
Nah. No war but class war, baby.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

*talking to international colleagues at my public university who have to prostitute themselves to make rent because their wage is so low and their visa poo poo doesn’t let them work another formal job outside the university* Well I guess this is the price you pay for being a part of the global elite

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

night danger posted:

Nah. No war but class war, baby.

"surely this white supremacist policy won't be weaponized next against poor communities of color trying to scrape together a living no sirree"

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It might very well be, and it'll be worth opposing that policy when it happens. Until then you're being suckered into class collaboration.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

night danger posted:

It might very well be, and it'll be worth opposing that policy when it happens. Until then you're being suckered into class collaboration.

:laffo:

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
It looks like international undergraduate students are getting most of the attention so far, but what can we expect in terms of effects on graduate students? Many don't take any courses at all after their first year or two. There are a lot fewer of them in absolute terms so it might be easier for universities to develop workarounds. They're also necessary to universities in different ways -- more so for their labor than their tuition money, at least at the doctoral level (plenty of magisterial programs work like ATMs too, if on a smaller scale than undergrad).

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"First they came for the 1%, and I spoke out because I was Left but woke."

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

night danger posted:

so...nazbol or what?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gloom posted:

It looks like international undergraduate students are getting most of the attention so far, but what can we expect in terms of effects on graduate students? Many don't take any courses at all after their first year or two. There are a lot fewer of them in absolute terms so it might be easier for universities to develop workarounds. They're also necessary to universities in different ways -- more so for their labor than their tuition money, at least at the doctoral level (plenty of magisterial programs work like ATMs too, if on a smaller scale than undergrad).

Most grad students are at least nominally enrolled in a class, even if it's just "thesis research", and those classes are usually considered in-person. So grad students will likely be safe from deportation. They won't be safe from being forced into teaching or TAing classes in person though.

Famethrowa posted:

who gives a gently caress. it's an explicitly white supremacist policy that you should oppose on that basis alone. if you think this kind of policy won't be extended to DACA students next you aren't paying attention.

don't forget that it isn't just about race, it's also about the death cult forcing universities to open up and become Covid vectors if they don't want their high-tuition international student populations to drop out

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

so...nazbol or what?

lol

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

night danger posted:

your supposed class analysis of this situation sucks

gloom posted:

yeah this is a huge question especially since grad students teach, at some schools, the majority of the classes. So we could end up with a situation where grad students have to teach classes online or lose their jobs, but they’re barred from the country and probably therefore unable to progress their research unless it’s based in their country of origin anyway

I guess it will depend on how the policy is enforced, if at all. If it’s done individually, then most grad students are enrolled in dissertation research credit hours that are not officially online so they could be off the hook. If it’s more of an institutional mandate, aka open up x% of your classes or your int’l grad students are gone, then a lot of grad students would be hosed regardless

frankly I don’t expect the whole thing to survive a court challenge but yeah this would absolutely wreck an entire generation of grad students’ careers

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

night danger posted:

Maybe true, but even at a public institution, nobody who can afford international student tuition & associated costs is, again, anyone we'd be shedding tears for if they were citizens.

nope. i work at a community college with a bunch of international students and have to deal directly with their i-20s. i used to kinda buy into this poo poo, but it really isn’t as true as you’re trying to make it out to be

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

night danger posted:

have you ever worked with international students in academia or in any capacity at all lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
just because they can pay the tuition doesn't mean they can actually afford the tuition

the US as a nation is practically built on suckering people into thinking they'll have upward mobility if they spend enough money and wait long enough, with plenty of lending agents standing by to fund those levels of spending

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

QUEER FRASIER posted:

your supposed class analysis of this situation sucks

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

just because they can pay the tuition doesn't mean they can actually afford the tuition

the US as a nation is practically built on suckering people into thinking they'll have upward mobility if they spend enough money and wait long enough, with plenty of lending agents standing by to fund those levels of spending

No argument there but that's not exactly an argument against this policy.

I've got no problem recognizing this as a dumb policy motivated by xenophobia, and that it should be opposed on the basis that it's a cynical attempt to deny the reality of the current situation, but I'm browsing through the tuition fees on https://www.internationalstudent.com/ and it's not painting a picture of international students as the downtrodden of the world. I've been through post-secondary as a domestic student in Canada, which is much less expensive than the States, so I know how much it cost to pay room & board & tuition in the best of circumstances.

Even this article from Toronto, which is supposed to counter the narrative that international students are well-off, doesn't provide any context about the students' lives in their home countries. It does, however, ask me to feel bad for a student who is having a typical-sounding university experience:
https://theeyeopener.com/2019/09/dispelling-the-rich-international-student-myths/

Show me the stats on international student family wealth and I'll happily concede if I'm wrong.

unlimited shrimp has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Jul 8, 2020

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Imagine, some time in the past 4 years, coming up to one of your biggest life decisions you will make in your life, and deciding to do your undergrad in Trump's America

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

have you ever worked with international students in academia or in any capacity at all lol

I went to a pretty cheap public university. The house I lived in for my last 3 years was entirely Chinese exchange students aside from myself. None of them were remotely close to being 1%ers.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

night danger posted:

I've got no problem recognizing this as a dumb policy motivated by xenophobia, and that it should be opposed on the basis that it's a cynical attempt to deny the reality of the current situation, but I'm browsing through the tuition fees on https://www.internationalstudent.com/ and it's not painting a picture of international students as the downtrodden of the world. I've been through post-secondary as a domestic student in Canada, which is much less expensive than the States, so I know how much it cost to pay room & board & tuition in the best of circumstances.

how much do you think that is?

w/r/t to international students and "family wealth", a lot of times what you're actually talking about is a wide network of poor relatives pooling money to send one or two students to school, oftentimes with help from more extended family and community organizations in the us

sometimes, they get sketchy rear end sponsors, who do all kind of manipulative, abusive poo poo with the power that sponsorship brings

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

"iconic"

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

hey welcome to CSPAM new people!

https://twitter.com/leftistmeme/status/1280679326678016001?s=20

calling my representative + signing petition now!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zerilan posted:

I went to a pretty cheap public university. The house I lived in for my last 3 years was entirely Chinese exchange students aside from myself. None of them were remotely close to being 1%ers.

I’ve worked at or attended 4 public universities now, I’ve probably known a few hundred international students. the idea that these people are all super rich is patently stupid. they’re just regular people

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
im pretty sure the need for international students to prove the ability to finance their studies in order to obtain a visa in either the us or canada isn't a perverse incentive for some of them to inflate their financial situation

btw did you know that there are far far more billionaires in china than america? did you guys know that chinese students have been buying luxury properties around canada and crashing exotic sports cars all around canadian cities that have become de facto chinese colonies

so many honest hardworking canadians who just want to own a place of their own have been forever priced out by these international students running around buying up houses. some of them dont even live in those houses, they r just investment properties

end chinese students colonization. workers of the world unite! time to dismantle china and force that rapacious nation to repatriate their ill gotten wealth among the working poor around the globe

most of that wealth came from stolen intellectual property of brilliant white workers so the lions share should go to them first

no war but class war breh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Most grad students are at least nominally enrolled in a class, even if it's just "thesis research", and those classes are usually considered in-person. So grad students will likely be safe from deportation. They won't be safe from being forced into teaching or TAing classes in person though.

The communications from admin at my school so far is fairly pessimistic, saying research course credits probably won't be enough in part because there's some relatively large credit requirement to count as being in person. Like you need a full course load in person, not just this "here's a 1 credit in person class, now you're safe." That may be how they're interpreting the order and not actually how it would play out, though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Persian Funk posted:

Have you seen the average international student? They couldn't conquer a 5 dollar Hot-N-Ready, let alone the most powerful military, and the best-armed populace, in the history of civilization.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

cspam gets results

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sourdough posted:

The communications from admin at my school so far is fairly pessimistic, saying research course credits probably won't be enough in part because there's some relatively large credit requirement to count as being in person. Like you need a full course load in person, not just this "here's a 1 credit in person class, now you're safe." That may be how they're interpreting the order and not actually how it would play out, though.

Ordinarily the rule is that international students can only take one online class and everything else has to be in person. Back in the spring, ICE announced they were suspending that rule when everyone went 100% online because of Covid, and that even a 100% online schedule wouldn't lead to deportation. With the new rule, they've partially rescinded the Spring 2020 exemptions, but haven't gone all the way back to normal.

Here's the actual text:

quote:

1. Nonimmigrant F-1 and M-1 students attending schools operating entirely online may not take a full online course load and remain in the United States. The U.S. Department of State will not issue visas to students enrolled in schools and/or programs that are fully online for the fall semester nor will U.S. Customs and Border Protection permit these students to enter the United States. Active students currently in the United States enrolled in such programs must depart the country or take other measures, such as transferring to a school with in-person instruction to remain in lawful status. If not, they may face immigration consequences including, but not limited to, the initiation of removal proceedings.

2. Nonimmigrant F-1 students attending schools operating under normal in-person classes are bound by existing federal regulations. Eligible F students may take a maximum of one class or three credit hours online.

3. Nonimmigrant F-1 students attending schools adopting a hybrid model—that is, a mixture of online and in person classes—will be allowed to take more than one class or three credit hours online. These schools must certify to SEVP, through the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” certifying that the program is not entirely online, that the student is not taking an entirely online course load this semester, and that the student is taking the minimum number of online classes required to make normal progress in their degree program. The above exemptions do not apply to F-1 students in English language training programs or M-1 students pursing vocational degrees, who are not permitted to enroll in any online courses.

(1) forces schools not to go fully online because F-1 students will get deported
(2) is irrelevant because basically no schools are fully in-person, but it goes back to the regular norm of international students only being allowed one online class
(3) is the relevant one if your school is offering any in-person classes, and they make it clear that there is still some leeway compared to the strict regular rule. If your school is hybrid online/in-person, the readings I've seen so far of this clause say that international students are allowed to take more than one class online (i.e., a violation of the typical rule) but aren't allowed a fully online schedule--so, one in-person class in an otherwise fully online schedule should be sufficient to avoid deportation.

So ordinarily, doing 1 in-person class and 4 online classes would get you deported. But ICE's new rule seems to say that as long as you aren't 100% online, you're safe, and you could have that schedule this term without penalty. It sounds to me like your school may be interpreting the ICE ruling according to the usual rule only allowing one online course, rather than the new exemption for hybrid instruction in section (3) that says students can safely violate the usual rule as long as they aren't going fully online.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Ordinarily the rule is that international students can only take one online class and everything else has to be in person. Back in the spring, ICE announced they were suspending that rule when everyone went 100% online because of Covid, and that even a 100% online schedule wouldn't lead to deportation. With the new rule, they've partially rescinded the Spring 2020 exemptions, but haven't gone all the way back to normal.

Here's the actual text:

(1) forces schools not to go fully online because F-1 students will get deported
(2) is irrelevant because basically no schools are fully in-person, but it goes back to the regular norm of international students only being allowed one online class
(3) is the relevant one if your school is offering any in-person classes, and they make it clear that there is still some leeway compared to the strict regular rule. If your school is hybrid online/in-person, the readings I've seen so far of this clause say that international students are allowed to take more than one class online (i.e., a violation of the typical rule) but aren't allowed a fully online schedule--so, one in-person class in an otherwise fully online schedule should be sufficient to avoid deportation.

So ordinarily, doing 1 in-person class and 4 online classes would get you deported. But ICE's new rule seems to say that as long as you aren't 100% online, you're safe, and you could have that schedule this term without penalty. It sounds to me like your school may be interpreting the ICE ruling according to the usual rule only allowing one online course, rather than the new exemption for hybrid instruction in section (3) that says students can safely violate the usual rule as long as they aren't going fully online.

Thanks, that does seem pretty clearly stating that a single in person course would suffice. I'm hopeful that even if it isn't suspended in court, basically every university can and will go this route. So far, we've been strictly locked down and have had limited exemptions for researchers to get back on campus (slowly opening up more, though), pretty well prioritizing stopping the spread over everything. But given those options, a single (very real) in person class for F-1 students is obviously the right choice.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who the gently caress is Kramden

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who the gently caress is Kramden

someone who loves using hate speech, judging by the rapsheet

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve worked at or attended 4 public universities now, I’ve probably known a few hundred international students. the idea that these people are all super rich is patently stupid. they’re just regular people

Yeah, we were only able to even eat decently because we made large communal meals and our landlord was a cool dude who brought over food fairly frequently.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

night danger posted:

I don't know about undergrads, but I can tell you that the international grad students in my lab aren't rich. They study flesh-eating insects. Do you think it's a good idea for the US to lose people like this?

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

Troutful posted:

I don't know about undergrads, but I can tell you that the international grad students in my lab aren't rich. They study flesh-eating insects. Do you think it's a good idea for the US to lose people like this?

It depends on what they're studying about them. Are they A) Finding ways to eradicate them or B) Splicing their genes with humans to develop super soldier killing machines with no conscience.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

So it looks like the policy was cancelled!

quote:

President Donald Trump's administration has rescinded a rule that threatened to bar hundreds of thousands of international students from studying in the United States after facing fierce opposition, including legal challenges from Massachusetts universities and the state's attorney general.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/trump-...4Iw_ysnFZAudF0o

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
Thats hosed up. Glad it got cancelled though.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/brooklynmarie/status/1305553553625243648

https://projectsouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/OIG-ICDC-Complaint-1.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
So it's not as bad as "get deported if you take online classes" but the Trump admin are still trying to find ways to make the system more hostile for international students:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/09/25/trump-administration-proposes-major-overhaul-student-visa-rules

Under the new rules you would no longer be allowed to just stay in the US as long as you're in good academic standing, instead you have to get re-approved by DHS every 2 or 4 years, depending how much the US hates your country. Also some smaller things like you have less time to leave the US after you graduate.

Basically this is a way to make sure more international students miss deadlines due to the complexity of the system and get deported instead of finishing their degrees.