Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Every single one of those is a freaking blast, enjoy!

Got a pipe tobacco order in yesterday. First, got a new reamer that doesn't suck butthole, so that's nice.

One of them is like HH Old Dark Fire Ready Rubbed and that's very good. Gives me a little Tatuaje fix.

English Luxury is another pull, and that's been fine. I'm going to give it another try with balsa filters instead of the carbon ones to see if that'll blow my hair back.

I think I've had Navy Flake before - sweeter than I thought it would be but still good!

And my Cigar Auctioneer haul should be in this Saturday, which is gonna be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gramps posted:

Ohhh yeah man. That's what's up. What did those set you back?

I got 'em all on Cigar Auctioneer for $80-$90/box. They also have the double perfectos if you prefer a figurado, and the tubos if you wanna impress your boss or something.

NewFatMike posted:

Every single one of those is a freaking blast, enjoy!

Yeah, I've been very impressed. Definitely going to keep exploring other La Aurora offerings.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

I got 'em all on Cigar Auctioneer for $80-$90/box. They also have the double perfectos if you prefer a figurado, and the tubos if you wanna impress your boss or something.

Yeah, I've been very impressed. Definitely going to keep exploring other La Aurora offerings.

I have absolutely loved all the LA aurora preferidos I've tried. The connecticut shade figurado and the diamond in robusto are my favorites so far, but they all absolutely rule.

Bill Burr is the reason I started smoking cigars. He and Bert Kreischer have a podcast they do together and they smoked cigars together in the first several episodes. Billy boy's favorite is the LA sapphire tubos so I had to try em. Cigarpage occasionally has insane deals and you can get even the figurado for a really insane price.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

PS the more I hang out with you fellas the more I want you guys to join Nexein and myself for a Cigar goon meet. You guys are alright.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
We could do a zoom smoke some time if we can find a time that works for everyone.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

If I could pick one cigar in the world to force everyone here to smoke it would be this very stick. Dunbarton Sobremesa in Short Churchill (4 3/4" x 48). A bit stronger blend than it's larger cousins. This is an immaculately rolled flavor bomb. Just right amount of strength and a truly wonderful flavor profile. Spicy, chewy, nutty and rich. Paid 109 for a box of 14 (feels like a steal at that price). If you can get your hands on these, particularly this vitola you are in for a treat.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Kenning posted:

All of those look really good!

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Gramps posted:

If I could pick one cigar in the world to force everyone here to smoke it would be this very stick. Dunbarton Sobremesa in Short Churchill (4 3/4" x 48). A bit stronger blend than it's larger cousins. This is an immaculately rolled flavor bomb. Just right amount of strength and a truly wonderful flavor profile. Spicy, chewy, nutty and rich. Paid 109 for a box of 14 (feels like a steal at that price). If you can get your hands on these, particularly this vitola you are in for a treat.

I will have to try one.....sounds amazing!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

zuffenphile posted:

I will have to try one.....sounds amazing!

I find myself more of a fan of blenders rather than brands now that I know more about cigars. Steve Saka might be my favorite but Nick Melillo, Don Pepin Garcia, Eric Espinosa, and Pete Johnson are all right there.

I think I need to set up a blind blender shootout. We could set something up in the thread pretty easily if we really wanted to. Vote on who should be included, pick their best sticks, then make everyone buy the sticks, blind swap the bands, and then vote when we're done. I'd take point on this if anyone is interested.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Super down to take part in some sort of blind smoke event if you have the bandwidth to put it together.

Checking in w/ the thread: there's a 20-pack of Rose of Sharon lanceros up on CA right now that has one bid. I was planning on trying to win that one, but only if the one bid isn't one of the posters ITT. Figured I'd check in since several of us have talked about looking for that cigar recently. No reason to bid against each other!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Same to attend! I'm a little overstretched with work and volunteer stuff, but I would be down to meet y'all!

Every Rose of Sharon line I've seen on CA has bids, never thought to check if it was the thread 😹

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I typically don’t bid on stuff if it already has a bid. There’s nothing I’m hunting so desperately that I can’t be patient. Obviously Kenning had to secure his complete order for his meme buy but unless I was doing something like that I just hit the watch auction button and bide my time.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

THEY'VE COME!

Special glamor shot on the 115th:

Please ignore the still chaotic house hehehe. Can't believe I'm going to make myself wait at least 2 weeks for the La Aurora.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I have that same plastic grass for my kids bottles. Although neither are really using bottle anymore :(

Time flies.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We don't have kids, but they get a lot of mileage for like pipe cleaning tools, kombucha/home brewing, and just air drying those last couple things that stayed damp after the dishwasher got em.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Ok Cuban smokers- what should I go after for my first cubans? I think Nexein and myself are gonna have ourselves a cookout to make cuban sandwiches sometime this spring/early summer and I figured having some cigars on hand would be a good idea. Hit me with those recs.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 21, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The three sticks I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed in:

Bolivar petite corona
Ramon allones specialty select
Hoyo de Monterrey epicure especial

If you provide more details (favorite vitola/power/flavor profiles) I could probably be more specific.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh no Ophidian, you've made me discover that the RASS comes in 50 cabs. I'm screwed.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
They are, in 100% of cases, objectively better than the dress box versions of the same vintage.

Of course this is in my experience :V

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Appreciate the hot tips on Habanos dudes!

Not to derail too bad, but y'all need Dunbarton Umbagogs in your life. I don't wanna fanboy cigar blenders too hard but goddamn man Steve Saka just gets it. I bought Corona gordas (6x48) and they're perfect for what they're intended to be. Unpretentious, delicious, and not even a little bit fussy. Drop it, let it go out and relight it. Whatever. These don't care. A yard 'gar for people who actually care about how their cigars taste. I think I like this almost as much as the mi queridas. This is a buy now stick if you haven't tried em. Watch for a sale and grab some.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Gramps posted:

Ok Cuban smokers- what should I go after for my first cubans? I think Nexein and myself are gonna have ourselves a cookout to make cuban sandwiches sometime this spring/early summer and I figured having some cigars on hand would be a good idea. Hit me with those recs.

You've had good advice if you want to get into some of the details of what Cubans offer, but if you just want a standard Cuban, that does very little wrong, and is typically well made, to the point that it might as well be called the Cuban Cuban, the Montecristo No. 4 will not see you wrong. It's the type of smoke that if you don't know what you want you can just pick one up somewhere and not be disappointed.

Also, after about two years of smoking pipes I feel like a complete dummy after doing something the other night. I have a piece of cardboard I'd normally put some tobacco on, just to let it dry out, and then to pick from and pack my pipe. I have an otc blend in one of my jars, and didn't want the hassle of waiting for a tobacco to get to the right dryness (roughly) or waiting around. I just picked up a wodge of tobacco from the jar between my thumb and forefinger and packed it. I did this three times, and it felt like I was getting more tobacco than I normally would, but I just went with it because I've never quite figured out packing a pipe. It turns out the smoke was wonderful. Just the perfect density to get a good draw and the right amount of smoke most of the way through, without any faffing around. Now, it is an otc tobacco that's supposed to be for the old lads smoking 10 pipes a day, so little messing around is needed. I'm just wondering if my involved routine for the past few years has been vastly over-complicating things.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The monte 4 is a great smoke. For some reason I’ve noticed that the Monte 2 seems to be the “quintessential” Cuban cigar but only with people in the US ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally do not like the monte 2 even a little bit.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gramps posted:

Appreciate the hot tips on Habanos dudes!

Not to derail too bad, but y'all need Dunbarton Umbagogs in your life. I don't wanna fanboy cigar blenders too hard but goddamn man Steve Saka just gets it. I bought Corona gordas (6x48) and they're perfect for what they're intended to be. Unpretentious, delicious, and not even a little bit fussy. Drop it, let it go out and relight it. Whatever. These don't care. A yard 'gar for people who actually care about how their cigars taste. I think I like this almost as much as the mi queridas. This is a buy now stick if you haven't tried em. Watch for a sale and grab some.

Interesting - I've had a Steve Saka branded cigar I remember being good, didn't realize he was the blender for Dunbarton. Any other marcas from him? Very glad to check them out.

Ophidian posted:

The monte 4 is a great smoke. For some reason I’ve noticed that the Monte 2 seems to be the “quintessential” Cuban cigar but only with people in the US ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally do not like the monte 2 even a little bit.

The one Monte 2 I had was so mediocre for the price point that it's pretty much turned me off the entire marca. The H. Upmann Regalias taste almost exactly the same in a smaller vitola and for like 1/4 the price.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Interesting - I've had a Steve Saka branded cigar I remember being good, didn't realize he was the blender for Dunbarton. Any other marcas from him? Very glad to check them out.

Both Steve Saka and Nick Melillo left Drew Estate and then founded their own companies. Steve Saka owns DT&T and Nick Melillo owns Foundation. Sobremesa and Mi Querida from DT&T were both solid and I still have a bunch of stuff to try from the sampler that I ordered.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh hell yeah, thanks!

Anyone get their hands on the Punch Kung Pow? I genuinely loved the Chop Suey and Egg Roll.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Any other marcas from him? Very glad to check them out.

The Sobremesa I have mentioned before, and I loving love them- especially the short churchill. The Mi Querida and Mi Querida Triqui Traca are both excellent. The Sin Compromiso was a bit of a disappointment, but it was really hyped up. Definitely will try again. So far I have liked everything I've tried and am eager to try more, but the Sobremesa brulee and brulee blue are basically impossible to find at times (seemingly when I have money there are none)

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

The three sticks I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed in:

Bolivar petite corona
Ramon allones specialty select
Hoyo de Monterrey epicure especial

If you provide more details (favorite vitola/power/flavor profiles) I could probably be more specific.

I’d only add Bolivar Royal Coronas to this list.

And do not bother with the Partagas Series D No 4 unless you really want tobacco flavor and nothing else.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

ThatOneGuy posted:

I’d only add Bolivar Royal Coronas to this list.

And do not bother with the Partagas Series D No 4 unless you really want tobacco flavor and nothing else.

Psd4 is the most boring Cuban IMO

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein has joined me in the cigar dungeon for another episode of great cigars in lovely places. Tabernacle Havana seed No142 in lancero. Just getting started but so far so good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Looks great! I'm enjoying a La Aurora Preferidos Gold (the corojo wrapper). Beautiful taste to this cigar, super mellow and leathery, brown sugar, walnuts, and toasted wheat bread. Really nice, extremely pretty cigar. Seems like an excellent intro cigar for newer smokers. Amazing contrast with the beefiness of the Emerald (Ecuador sungrown).

edit:

Goddamn this is an excellent cigar to enjoy with a Manhattan while sitting on the deck playing Stardew Valley. I think I'm going to buy more boxes of these.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 22, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Looks great! I'm enjoying a La Aurora Preferidos Gold (the corojo wrapper). Beautiful taste to this cigar, super mellow and leathery, brown sugar, walnuts, and toasted wheat bread. Really nice, extremely pretty cigar. Seems like an excellent intro cigar for newer smokers. Amazing contrast with the beefiness of the Emerald (Ecuador sungrown).

edit:

Goddamn this is an excellent cigar to enjoy with a Manhattan while sitting on the deck playing Stardew Valley. I think I'm going to buy more boxes of these.

oooh I haven't tried the corojo yet. Maybe some of my investments will go well and I can do the dream degenerate preferidos shootout like you guys.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Highly recommended, especially because I availed myself of the Ruby (Brazilian maduro) afterwards and it was also quite nice. Tasted like chocolate and roses, with oak char and subtle pepper. Also quite well-constructed, since right on light-up I got a bit of a canoe which righted itself with no assistance very readily. The Ruby was just a touch tighter on the draw than my particular taste, but nothing problematic, and I smoked it down to the nub just like the Gold. So far I'd say the Emerald (Ecuador sungrown) and the Gold (corojo) are 100% re-purchase boxes for me. The Ruby and Diamond (Connecticut broadleaf) didn't grab me quite as immediately, but they were both also second cigars, so I'll want to revisit before making a final conclusion. Fun order!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Highly recommended, especially because I availed myself of the Ruby (Brazilian maduro) afterwards and it was also quite nice. Tasted like chocolate and roses, with oak char and subtle pepper. Also quite well-constructed, since right on light-up I got a bit of a canoe which righted itself with no assistance very readily. The Ruby was just a touch tighter on the draw than my particular taste, but nothing problematic, and I smoked it down to the nub just like the Gold. So far I'd say the Emerald (Ecuador sungrown) and the Gold (corojo) are 100% re-purchase boxes for me. The Ruby and Diamond (Connecticut broadleaf) didn't grab me quite as immediately, but they were both also second cigars, so I'll want to revisit before making a final conclusion. Fun order!

Super interesting! The La Aurora stuff is definitely my favorite non nicaraguan but the ones you're raving about I haven't tried. I've had Cameroon, ct and broadleaf. Looks like I have more to put on the wishlist.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
huh, had wondered where the CC thread had gone

anyway I was a routine cigar smoker for a couple of years when I lived in the Carolinas and it was warm enough year-round to spend whatever time it required outside. I made a pretty hard stop when I moved to NY cuz I just don't care THAT much. also there's the whole implicit class signifier thing, a lot of weird cultural baggage, etc I just didn't go as hard any more.

oh back then I posted as Stew Man Chew from the 2 or 3 baxposses we organized :)

although I don't smoke often any more I HAVE been diligently keeping up my coolerdor since then and lemme tell you, on the off chance every few months that the fancy hits, being able to casually pull a 7 year old HupMag or HdM Epicure out and have a SPECTACULAR smoke is earnestly a fuckin blast.

the one day over Christmas that it got bizarrely warm enough to go fail at hitting golfballs in the park with my FIL and smoke for about 45 minutes was probably the most positive emotion I've felt since COVID hit.

i was initially pretty skeptical of ~*aging*~ and people being able to pontificate about distinctions between whatever years at whatever time, but there's 100% validity there.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the one day over Christmas that it got bizarrely warm enough to go fail at hitting golfballs in the park with my FIL and smoke for about 45 minutes was probably the most positive emotion I've felt since COVID hit.

I feel you there. Cigars have been my antidepressant since covid started and it would not have been a good time without them.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Got some sticks primed and ready in the drybox. My tupperdors are slightly over humidified because of how chilly my basement is so I've found a day or 5 in the drybox really helps. Some choice stuff here. Really hyped for the next cigar dungeon confab with Nexein which is what those Alma Fuertes are for. Gotta seize whatever joy you can out of this stupid life, and this right here is about 10-12 hours of bliss and relaxation. So stoked. Edit: Pretty obvious what everything is save for that unbanded job. That's a Double Maduro overrun from CigarPage.

Also I had a Caldwell The King is Dead earlier and I got 2 plus hours out of it and it was fabulous the whole way. Went out because I got a phone call and it relit like a champ. Definitely get your asses to cigarbid and snag the sampler that is on freefall. Great stuff.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 22, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gramps posted:

I feel you there. Cigars have been my antidepressant since covid started and it would not have been a good time without them.

Yeah, I'm pretty much completely convinced that nicotine is the only thing that's kept me and my spouse pretty sane this whole plague time.

Having my last MF Fonseca Cosaco, and this is a total transformation from its first week in the humidor. Really hitting a lot of Garcia and Habanos vibes at the same time, so obviously I'm in heaven.

I'll be picking up more this weekend along with more EP Carrillo New Wave Stellas, Shadow King Robustos, and Double Maduro Nicaraguans. Those last ones are gonna sit until Labor Day just to be safe.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much completely convinced that nicotine is the only thing that's kept me and my spouse pretty sane this whole plague time.

Having my last MF Fonseca Cosaco, and this is a total transformation from its first week in the humidor. Really hitting a lot of Garcia and Habanos vibes at the same time, so obviously I'm in heaven.

I'll be picking up more this weekend along with more EP Carrillo New Wave Stellas, Shadow King Robustos, and Double Maduro Nicaraguans. Those last ones are gonna sit until Labor Day just to be safe.

Nice moves! I've had my eye on those Fonsecas for a hot minute. Don Pepin Garcia is godlike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Gramps posted:

Nexein has joined me in the cigar dungeon for another episode of great cigars in lovely places. Tabernacle Havana seed No142 in lancero. Just getting started but so far so good.

Beautiful madero wrapper on that lancer, nice and oily....

Gramps posted:

Agreed, one of the few things to look forward to at the end, well any day of the week......