Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man that’s a beast, I love it!

I’m gonna pick up a new meerschaum bowl for my Falcon this week. I’m just not using my briar bowls, and that’s ok as far as I’m concerned. By far the best pipe experience I’ve had so far. It makes me tempted to pick up a Wiebe…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
It's a honker - easily my biggest bowl. The new meerschaum can almost fit inside the old one.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 22, 2022

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

NewFatMike posted:

e: Turns out the best James Bond smoked Falcons, so I am very glad to have found The Correct Pipes no additional comment necessary

Falcons are an excellent pipe.
Pity the filters cost so much in Australia.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That’s so weird about the filters, they’re just cut up pieces of pipe cleaner!

Anyone ever have Rattray’s Exotic Passion? It sounds extremely up my alley, but 100g is a big boy and I’ve been burned before.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Alright, my consumerist shenanigans have begun. This Black Friday sales season already has my pipe tobacco money sorted out:

First, this lovely bowl for my other Falcon stem:

Second, a pile of tobaccos. I'm very excited for Christmastime spice flavors. The Rattray's Exotic Passion looked too good on Tobacco Reviews, so I had to go for it:

NewFatSpouse and I may go on an Iwan Ries date this weekend, I'm intrigued by Three Star Blue and the reviews for Oriental King were so good that I wish it were still in production.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm looking for some pipe tobacco recommendations. I only smoke during winter, and since I keep everything in sealed jars, I haven't bought any new stuff in a long while. I've typically smoked heavy Englishes, Nightcap, that sort of thing. I've got a jar of Northwoods, which leans more aromatic. A couple of years ago I got a sample of MacBaren Old Dark Fired, and despite what people said about a dark, rich flavor, I didn't taste much of anything except ash. I had a Peterson irish whiskey tin that was pretty bland. I still have some vintage Frog Morton (rip), but that was so light that it was like smoking air.

Anyway, I've been out of the game for a while and am bored as hell with what I currently have and need some new flavors. A solid, simple, light, sweeter English. Or maybe something perique-spicy. Or maybe just something really unique. Good standards, hidden gems, whatever. Any recommendations?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding is spicy, dark, and rich. It’s extremely worth trying if you haven’t already.

On the lighter side, Sam Gawith Squadron Leader is very good as well. Any Gawith English is worth the try at least.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

I’ll put in another good word for Presbyterian Mixture. Gentleman Caller, has been a thread favorite, that’s really solid and “something different”. I think La Brumeuse is definitely worth a try if you are looking for something unique.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I don't think I smoke pipes enough to even have them or all this tobacco.

Who do I talk to in here if I wanna sell and get outta the game?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think Smoking Pipes still buy old pipes if you don’t get any takers here.

If you list your tobaccos, I’m sure there’d be some interest.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Maybe I'll just leave the pouches and tins open in rooms because they smell heavenly.

Also, is it OK to store your tobaccos in zip-loc baggies, or is it best to put them in glass mason jars?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 26, 2022

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Glass mason jar is probably best. I have a jar that I don't have a lid for, but I do have the outside ring, using a ziploc as an ersatz lid for it has worked but definitely allows more moisture exchange than a metal lid.The tobacco is appreciably drier after a while.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yo Rattray’s Exotic Passion fucks. Absolutely a must try for aromatic smokers.

Also I had a Stilwell Star Bayou 32 at a mini HERF with Chicago goons, and that was great. I’m excited to try the others in the line.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Now I want a cute lil' small bowl meerschaum for short smokes

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

H&H Louisiana Red is an excellent bulk Va/Per. That is all.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve cracked into my first bowl of Sixpence and it’s a complete winner. Tickles a similar neuron to Ennerdale, although less floral. It’s a nice aromatic with a strong tobacco blend backing it up. I’m quite pleased! I need to check out more GL Pease because I really enjoy Stonehenge Flake.

If you had told me six months ago I’d mostly be smoking aromatics, I wouldn’t believe you. There’s so much variety out there, and frankly most of it is cheap and not in a good way. The wild part is that the really nice tobacco isn’t usually more than a buck or three per ounce, and given how many bowls that is, the cost is marginal. You probably get more bowls because you’re not constantly picking out stems :v:

Also my engraved Meerschaum Falcon bowl just arrived:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That pipe fucks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Smokes like a charm! I’m very very happy with it.

Had some bowls of We Three Kings and Jolly Old Saint Nicholas, and the latter is superior imo, but they’re both lovely holiday smokes. Rattray’s Exotic Passion is even better, if you ask me :v:

Got my increasingly modest cigar order in today — I’m pretty intrigued by the Tabacos Baez Serie SF. A My Father peso cigar has me pretty excited.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Oh hell yeah!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I stumbled upon another really great budget stick, the Tabacos Baez Serie SF.

It’s a Nicaraguan Sumatra wrapped mixed filler made by My Father, and the branding is all over. I hadn’t really expected it, and it’s a step ahead of most everything in the category. A box of 20 is $46, and it’s a full size corona at 6” X 44.

I see robusto and toro sizes, too. I’m curious how the wider smokes taste. I’m really enjoying this one.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

NewFatMike posted:

NewFatSpouse and I may go on an Iwan Ries date this weekend, I'm intrigued by Three Star Blue and the reviews for Oriental King were so good that I wish it were still in production.

Did you end up going? Three Star Blue is a solid aromatic.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We didn’t! They ended up scheduling something else so I’ve yet to get back out there.

I’ve been super enjoying a bowl of Sixpence in the morning, which has been fantastic. Definitely staying in the rotation.

I put this together on the discord, it goes into detail about Atlantic VIP vs Perfect Cigar Blend membership:

me but on discord posted:

This may be good for reference for bargain hunters, so it may be pin-worthy.

I spent _lot_ of time being kinda high and doing some price comparisons between Atlantic VIP and PCB Cigar Club, and it is _astonishingly_ close, at least for Illinois.

Taxes here are ~11% on each buy, and even looking at the _most_ generous delta, which is My Father at Atlantic vs Perfect Cigar Blend. Looking at the MF #4 lancero ($155 list at Atlantic VIP, $191.25 with PCB Cigar Club) After taxes, that comes out to $172 from Atlantic.

~$1/stick at this scale isn a lot, _but_ default shipping from PCB is better IME than Atlantic. Other things, however, are _much_ different. Padron 2000, for instance, has a lower list price than Atlantic _already_ let alone taking an additional 15% off, which is quite substantial ($141.44 at PCB, $185.33 at Atlantic VIP).

Atlantic has a _substantially_ wider selection than PCB, but PCB tends to have more nice things in stock (e.g. Padron). Unfortunately the Atlantic VIP is $60 once a year with no bonus, and PCB is $240/year minimum with the lowest level (up to $720/year for the highest level) **and** 2-5 cigars/month (or 4-12/mo at the highest level). And the club is actually pretty good! Take a look at this month's selections, attached below.

It's worth investigating on a per-stick basis for your favorites, but if you're more in the market for higher-end new-school blends, it is a tough deal to beat. Get both if your consumption allows (or are splitting it with a spouse, say).

Anyway, I hope that helps! I'll probably be jumping into the club in the new year after my anniversary vacation.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey all, I've been super lax in getting the Secret Santa stuff out (got wrecked by Black Friday at work), but also only a handful of people signed up! If you don't want to miss out please send me a PM and I'll have everybody lined up tomorrow.

Kenning posted:

The weather's getting cold, people are firing up their propane heaters and pellet stoves, which means it's time for another Cigar and Pipe Thread/Discord Secret Santa!

Let's aim for a value of ~$25-$30 shipped. If you'd like to participate, please send me a PM with the following information:

• Tobacco formats you enjoy (pipe, cigar, or both—more esoteric formats also considered)
• Preferred styles (i.e. maduro cigars, narrow/wide RG, aromatics, burley, whatever)
• Whether you would or would not like accessories (pipe tools, PerfecDraws, etc.)
• Something you like to eat or drink (or both!)
• A random hobby/interest
• Your address

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Well y'all were right about Gentleman Caller. Good stuff. The deertongue gives it a rich fruit sweetness, like honey with pear or something. It smokes way better than an aromatic. Ghosted the hell out of my churchwarden tho.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I'm a looking for a little advice please.

I've never tried smoking a cigar, and I've not smoked anything before not even a cigarette or had interest any in those, but I have had an idle curiosity in cigars and sometimes thought over the years that I'd like to try smoking one. Now I've started my journey into the 40s I thought :shrug: I'm boring so I'd like to try to see if I like or not (and if not, that's cool, at least I know). It does seem appealing to me though; occasionally smoking one while enjoying a manhatten or some other drink so I thought I'd look a little more into cigars.
If I search on google I find many different online shops listing hundreds of different cigars so I am completely overwhelmed and I have no idea which to try, plus I'm in the UK and they seem very expensive here.

So I'm looking for some recommendations that anyone (probably UK based) might have for the best online shop to buy a cigar or two and which type of cigar might be recommended. I did have a look at the OP but that does seem to be USA based information (unless I missed something, apologies).

tl;dr: UK person looking for advice about where and which to buy for first cigar smoking experience

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm in the U.S., but I'll try to give you as much help as I can... Here's a whole lot of words.

Being that you're in the UK, I believe that you'll mostly have access to cigars from Cuba (My understanding is that U.S. based cigars are harder to come by and even higher priced in the UK?). Most Cuban cigars in my experience aren't as strong as tobacco from other regions of the world (I believe this is mostly due to the type of tobacco and how they're blended).

Firstly, I'd google and see if there are any cigar / tobacco shops near you. It can be intimidating asking someone in person, but any reputable shop should be happy to run you through the basics and help you pick out a few sticks, as well as show you how to cut and light them (you can youtube this too).

If you just want to walk in and buy something without talking to someone, I'd recommend the following:

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No. 2 - Creamy with lots of baking spices
Cohiba Robusto - Very creamy and grassy / hay-like. Touch of sweetness
Ramon Allones Specially Selected - Tobacco, wood, and some meatiness, zero sweetness.
Bolivar Royal Corona - Earthy and salty. Stronger than the other 3

Each of those are all Robustos (5" x 125mm), which I would consider the size of a "standard" cigar. You're smoking time would be roughly 45 - 75 minutes depending on how fast you smoke. They would also help you direct yourself to different flavor profiles to see what you might prefer.

As far as what you need aside from time is a way to cut the cigar and a way to light it on fire. The cigar shop can probably cut all of them for you ahead of time (and give you a bad and humidification device). They might have a cheap cutter for you to buy, but I'd hold off until you decide you like it. If you do decide to cut the cigars yourself you'll need to pay attention to how it's constructed.

In the picture above you'll notice the head and the cap along with the cut here indicator. Cigars are "capped" with pieces of tobacco leaves to keep them from unrolling. The important thing to note is to not cut the cigar past the cap or it'll start to unravel on you.

You can light a cigar with anything that'll catch it on fire, but typically you want a butane torch. Matches work just fine provided you have the patience for it. For your first few cigars you could get by with a BIC lighter if that's all you really had (some people would turn their nose up to this suggestion, ymmv).

At this point you can just go ahead and enjoy, but I'll leave you with some bullet points of misc info.

- Cigars are meant to be tasted, not inhaled into your lungs. Draw the smoke into your mouth, but do not inhale or you'll give yourself a very spicy coughing fit.
- Cigars contain nicotine. Nicotine lowers your blood sugar. If you feel queasy while smoking it's because your blood sugar is falling. Stop smoking and go eat something sugary to get rid of this. Letting a teaspoon of granulated sugar dissolve under your tongue is a quick fix.
- Excessive salivating / the need to spit is the first sign you're going be queasy in my experience. If you find your mouth watering a lot go get some thing sugary before you get queasy.
- A hearty meal before smoking a cigar will greatly help prevent the queasiness as well.
- The more you smoke the more you'll build up a tolerance for nicotine, and it's effects become less of a concern. It gets cold here so I only have a few sticks over the winter. Come spring I have to ease back into stronger cigars.
- I'm no Dr., but empirical evidence suggests occasional cigar smoking has minimal negative effects on your health. If you wind up smoking more than 2 or 3 sticks a week your risk factors are going to increase.
- Lots of people drink while smoking cigars. Some of those drinks are alcohol. Alcohol removes the mucus membrane in your mouth temporarily, meaning your risk factors for mouth cancers are going to increase. I personally don't mix cigars with my alcohol for this reason, but again, empirical data and all that...ymmv.
- If you like soda, root beer and cream soda pairs exceptionally well with cigars. This will also help you stave off the low blood sugar while smoking. Coffee and water are solid choices too. I have no idea about tea...(assuming you drink tea because your in the UK...)

TL;DR
Buy one of the cigars listed above, cut open the round end, light the flat open end on fire, don't inhale. Enjoy!

E:fixed the sizing.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 20, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m in the states, but have purchased from GQ Tobaccos before, so they could be a good starting point!

Checking through their selection, I would honestly start with a Padron 2000. If you’re pairing with a drink, I’d go with the maduro for darker liquor and the natural for a clear liquor. These aren’t my personal favorites, but I recommend them for two reasons:

1) the construction is bulletproof, so you’re very unlikely to encounter a dud as your first smoke.

2) the flavors are actually quite good!

Duds aren’t very common, but they’re a sufficient risk that it’s worth doing imo.

The fancier Padron smokes are very good and very fancy, so if it’s very occasional it might be worth exploring. Always go maduro on these.

From there, you can determine the kinds of things you might want to explore and we can help out further!

Padron natural have a more grassy flavor that’s quite pleasant and rather mellow. The maduro is a little more chocolatey and zesty, if that’s any help.

Cuban cigars will trend more mellow, new world smokes are all over the place, and even among those there are “new school” and “old school” blends (the latter of which try to imitate Cuban smokes, generally quite poorly).

E: a robusto is 50rg X 125mm not 50mm :v:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

E: a robusto is 50rg X 125mm not 50mm :v:

Aww, poo poo. Doh! I'm going to blame it being almost midnight here. I should be in bed. :v:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ll let it slide because they’re 5x50 in freedom units *

* bad units, I’m a machinist and curse the imperial system routinely

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

TL;DR
Buy one of the cigars listed above, cut open the round end, light the flat open end on fire, don't inhale. Enjoy!

NewFatMike posted:

I’m in the states, but have purchased from GQ Tobaccos before, so they could be a good starting point!

Thank you both for the super useful info, it's much appreciated! So much more detailed than I expected which has given me a lot to think about and I'll definitely check out those recommended cigars.
I asked about online websites because those are much easier for me to deal with, as I live in a rural area, but I googled and my nearest city does have a couple of cigar/tobacco shops so the next time I go there I can pop in and ask for advice and if they have any cigars that either of you suggested. I'll check GQ Tobaccos for sure though!

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

RoboJoe posted:

Thank you both for the super useful info, it's much appreciated! So much more detailed than I expected which has given me a lot to think about and I'll definitely check out those recommended cigars.
I asked about online websites because those are much easier for me to deal with, as I live in a rural area, but I googled and my nearest city does have a couple of cigar/tobacco shops so the next time I go there I can pop in and ask for advice and if they have any cigars that either of you suggested. I'll check GQ Tobaccos for sure though!

See you in five years when you discover pipes :sickos:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

big boi posted:

See you in five years when you discover pipes :sickos:

If this is the case they'd be well advised to just go ahead and buy a couple tins of some good non-aromatic now, put them in a drawer, and forget about them until then.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The ST DuPont MaxiJet has landed:

It’s so worth it. Matches his pipe lighter brother:

I’m picking up a grip of GL Pease soon, including an 8oz of Sixpence. I’m already out and could smoke it all day.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hello fellow tobacco nerds!

I’m smoking my last bowl of Bob’s CH Flake with a mug of Earl Grey and I hope everyone is having a great new year!

I’ve been looking at getting a proper pipe reamer because I’m getting some cake on my Meerschaum. I was looking at the Senior style adjustable reamer, but I could definitely justify this set. Anyone have any experience with it?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-tampers-and-tools/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=114620

King_Mongo
Apr 2, 2007

Fella says l´m gonna make a crackerjack clerk.

NewFatMike posted:

Hello fellow tobacco nerds!

I’m smoking my last bowl of Bob’s CH Flake with a mug of Earl Grey and I hope everyone is having a great new year!

I’ve been looking at getting a proper pipe reamer because I’m getting some cake on my Meerschaum. I was looking at the Senior style adjustable reamer, but I could definitely justify this set. Anyone have any experience with it?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-tampers-and-tools/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=114620

The Pip-Net is pretty much the standard for pipe restoration, with a Savinelli triblade for weird bowl geometries (if you can find one)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Fantastic! That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I had my once in a blue moon Fuente today, my local guy held into some Añejo Sharks:

Really fun stick. Over hyped for sure, but worth having if you come across it. Big cocoa, cayenne, and black pepper flavors, but still smooth, sweet, and not overwhelmingly strong like you might get from a lot of cigars with that profile. There’s a red wine backbone and tartness.

Also RIP my tin of Bob’s CH Flake. I haven’t loved every Gawith and Hogarth, but Ennerdale and Bob’s are ones I’d keep 500g of on hand forever. Can’t wait to try 1792 flake.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Pipnet reamer has arrived and changed my life. Easily worth the price of admission. I look forward to never fiddling with the cruddy adjustable things ever again.

In my freshly reamed floral carved meerschaum Falcon bowl, I’ve put down a bowl of Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, which is tasty. We’ll see if it grows on me, but worst case it’s something nice to have around when I don’t know what I want to smoke.

GL Pease Regents Flake is new to me and I am very much enjoying it. Just a fabulous spiced experience, but not too strong. Smooth sailing all the way through.

I’m super glad to have an 8oz of sixpence and a tin of Blue Ridge — two of my top new tobaccos from last year.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sixpence is so good.

I've been smoking through the Semois and I find that the dryer the tobacco is the closer it gets to Prince Albert. All the (admittedly subtle) flavors seem completely humidity dependent - as soon as the tobacco isn't slightly tacky it's old school drug store flavor all day.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ha! That’s funny — I’m able to keep it around 50% pretty consistently and Semois has to be the closest pipe tobacco to smoking a cigar I’ve encountered — Reserve du Patron moreso than La Brumeuse. It also has a neato umami mushroom thing going on.

Sixpence might honestly be a desert island smoke for me. Ticks similar boxes to Ennerdale except I could smoke it all day, less tongue bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Also my engraved Meerschaum Falcon bowl just arrived:

whoaa, what a gorgeous pipe! brings a whole new meaning to the term 'total smokeshow'! :D i wish i could gently caress that pipe!!