Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Kenning posted:

The Leaf corojo is the best, imo, although a buddy of mine favors the Connecticut. The maduro wasn't bad, but it felt less complex than the corojo, but I'm also less of a maduro fan overall.

Just moved into a friends' place for a couple months as a bridge to my next apartment, and they've got a nice yard. More importantly, it's not directly on the coast so my cigars aren't going to be nearly as wet. Trying to decide what to smoke to celebrate the relocation.

I rather liked it! Not sure if I liked it more than the RP vintage 1990, but close? I think I like the 1992 more, but the Leaf is so nicely constructed and I'm a sucker for not wasting plastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

The Leaf corojo is the best, imo, although a buddy of mine favors the Connecticut. The maduro wasn't bad, but it felt less complex than the corojo, but I'm also less of a maduro fan overall.

Just moved into a friends' place for a couple months as a bridge to my next apartment, and they've got a nice yard. More importantly, it's not directly on the coast so my cigars aren't going to be nearly as wet. Trying to decide what to smoke to celebrate the relocation.

Padron or LAT bb.

Leaf by Oscar corojo lancero is S+ tier smoke

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ohhhh, yeah, it's probably LAT o'clock. Hell, it might even be LATcero'clock. Unfortunately today was weird as hell for Oakland, like 85 degrees, 100% humidity, and vague drizzles, presumably a distant side effect of post-tropical storm Hilary. Maybe tomorrow.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Padron or LAT bb.

Leaf by Oscar corojo lancero is S+ tier smoke

I may have to give it a try! I've been mostly smoking robustos and the occasional petite corona, the former mostly because I smoke noticeably faster than my roommate D:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Ohhhh, yeah, it's probably LAT o'clock. Hell, it might even be LATcero'clock. Unfortunately today was weird as hell for Oakland, like 85 degrees, 100% humidity, and vague drizzles, presumably a distant side effect of post-tropical storm Hilary. Maybe tomorrow.

Hell yeah, LATcero is positively the first smoke I’m having on my back patio when we’re finished.

DrakIris posted:

I may have to give it a try! I've been mostly smoking robustos and the occasional petite corona, the former mostly because I smoke noticeably faster than my roommate D:

Check out the My Father Le Bijou 1922 and La Opulencia petite Coronas — they’re a mega treat!

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

[...]
Check out the My Father Le Bijou 1922 and La Opulencia petite Coronas — they’re a mega treat!

Will do! The place I've been hitting up has a pretty big stock of My Father, I've been eyeing the H-2K-CT as well

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The box pressed toro is way better than the corona. They had a really great year for those quite a while back so if they have yellow cellophane absolutely go for it.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Just did an overdue freshening of my briar pipe with some pipe cleaners and 100 proof liquor. How long should I let it dry before smoking it again?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Until it's dry to the touch, and a pipe cleaner run through it returns no moisture. Depending on where you live, a day or two.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Next day should be fine? I’ve done salt + Everclear soak overnight and 3 days later they were good to go I believe.

Ultimately I went by my nose — if it didn’t smell pungent or like alcohol I went for it.

Perfect Cigar Blend has a My Father society selection now, and if it’s anything like their other society selections it may well be one of the best values in cigars out there:

https://perfectcigarblend.com/product/my-father-cigars-society-selection/

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I haven’t posted an update in ages and I thought it might be fun to check in.

I’ve seriously cut back on my tobacco consumption this year, so I have fewer fun things to chat about, but my birthday is around the corner, so I have stocked up on a bunch of smokes.

My tobacco consumption has gone from at its peak a few years back of 5 sticks a day to 3 to 1 to now just a smoke Friday - Sunday. Unfortunately, I do not feel particularly richer :v:

On the pipes side, though, I have those out for more occasional use. It turns out that pipe smoking is idiot bait for me because there are so many variables that THE perfect smoke has to be out there somewhere. I’ve condensed down to just my Falcon pipes with a few briar bowls and my remaining meerschaum, but I’m gonna pick up a handful more meerschaum ones because I think they’re just that much better. Still kicking myself for not picking up Falcons earlier because I thought they looked doofy :shepspends:

Part of resolving the idiot bait trap for me is that I just condensed down to my “essential” tobaccos. Ennerdale, Bob’s Chocolate Flake, C&D Blue Ridge, Semois La Brumeuse, Semois Reserve du Patron, and GL Pease Sixpence.

@Kenning has inherited a bunch of my tobacco collection, so thanks for falling on that sword for me :v:

Birthday cigars I picked up are some Cuban custom rolls from Ophidion — we have some Yerandy and Johnny-O El Laguitos. NC’s are Garcia y Garcia Super Toro, Freud Sigmund Disruptor (this came HIGHLY recommended instead of the Don Pepin Garcia 20th Anniversary I initially set out for, so I’ll try to copy and paste my smoke report), a LAT54, and a Don Pepin Garcia 15th Anniversary I haven’t been able to find anywhere on the internet, so that may be another smoke report that gets copied over.

I’m having a My Father La Promesa right now, and it is much better than the last one I had. Perfumey, cedar, and meaty full body with a nice strong nicotine hit.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

My pipe smoking has gone up due to nice weather, but I have a hard ceiling at no more than four different ounces of pipe tobacco at any given time. No cellar, just the four in rotation. I dump each ounce into its own jelly jar when it arrives, and I wait until two or three of the jars run out (or I'm low on pipe cleaners) before restocking. I like pipe smoking but I'm leery of going whole hog into the Pipe Life and amassing a wall of tins.

After all this time I finally tried Lane 1Q. I can see why it's so popular. I like the thin ribbon cut. The flavor is a little weak but it burns well, doesn't get gurgly, and it has a pleasant "kettle corn" note going on in the background. I'm a little curious about how Vanilla Custard and Stokkebye's Nougat compare, but it might be a while before I sample of either of those. There's only so much vanilla/caramel aromatic I can take.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

If you'd like to try more pleasant mild aromatics, check out RLP or BCA next - they do what 1-Q does but slightly different and in my opinion better.

Or have fun and go off the deep end and check out Lakelands like Ennerdale or deer tongue like Gentleman Caller. Those are definitely both different takes on an aromatic, and sit a lot better with me.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gentleman Caller is fantastic, Ennerdale is my GOAT.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I'm interested in trying Ennerdale, Kendal Flake, and Bob's Chocolate Flake. I may have to purchase a dedicated Lakeland cob for them though.

I think my next order will be from The Country Squire. They had to pull their Middle Earth blends after getting a C&D from the Tolkien estate. Now the blends have returned with legally distinct names.

Old Toby is now Tombigbee
Green Dragon = George's Dragon
Second Breakfast = Picayune Pancake
Bag End = Pilgrim's Muse
Rivendell = Riverboat Queen
Kingsfoil = King's Highway

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Bob’s chocolate is a pretty straight English, so no need for an additional pipe if you already have one of those!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ennerdale is SO FUCKEN GOOD.

That is all. I’m getting so much buttery and perfume deliciousness, I couldn’t resist posting.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Tried the My Father Le Bijou 1922 torp and have to admit it was one of the nicest smokes I've had in a really long while.

Thank you thread for the heads up on that poo poo.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hello thread, been out of the game for a long rear end while, currently rehydrating a bunch of cigars in a coolidor that dropped to 50% RH and I really haven't smoked since around the time covid started, so while those recover I'm setting up a small tupperdor with new sticks. Also I have just discovered these Boveda packets which seem rad as hell

I do love full bodied stuff (favorites in the past have been Oliva Serie V lancero/beli, AF Gran Reserva, DPG Blue, Padron Serie 1926) but right now I know they will make me queasy so I'm looking for some suggestions for light-med body cigars and a place to buy them in samplers or 5 packs. Spending limit probably about $7-10 per stick, and anything that's a secret value at $3-5 per stick is always fun to learn about as well.

Would love some suggestions as to what's the hot poo poo these days that isn't mega full bodied, thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Welcome! You should join the Discord, where a lot of daily smoke info happens. PM me for a link, and also I can send you some fresh smokes if you wanna get back into things.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I've always wondered: Does anyone actually buy those funky $5000 artisan freehand pipes? Are they young hedge fund managers or old money geezers? And do they smoke them or just keep them in a display case as an art piece? I would be a nervous wreck packing and lighting the first bowl in one of those.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dick Jones posted:

I've always wondered: Does anyone actually buy those funky $5000 artisan freehand pipes? Are they young hedge fund managers or old money geezers? And do they smoke them or just keep them in a display case as an art piece? I would be a nervous wreck packing and lighting the first bowl in one of those.

I’ve seen a few that aren’t quite $5k but high 3 into 4 figures sell.

Most folks buy them as art objects, not as pipes to smoke.

Speaking of, I fired up a bowl of Bob’s Chocolate Flake and it’s still maybe my favorite English.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
If you’re not smoking 20 year old Dunhill EMP tins from a circa 1942 White Dot, wtf are you even doing to yourself? :argh: :lmao:

Seriously, though, if I won the lottery I could maybe see myself collecting old, storied pipes at great expense via estate sales. Maybe some with Ivory and Silver or carved by a dead master or smoked by Hemingway or something. But I would definitely use them to smoke from. What’s the point of having Conan-Doyle’s calabash if you’re too scared to light up some Frog Morton (PBUH, RIP) while bullshitting with good friends to make fun of your pretentiousness?

No way I’d buy some new pipe for that kind of money, though, when a Missouri Meerschaum smokes fine as they do. My most expensive pipe out of 28 briars cost not quite $150, and it was a gift so I smoke out of it pretty much every day. A couple were more expensive brand new, but were estate pipes so I got them cheap. Of course, I won’t have to worry about four-figure pipes until after I win the lottery…:bang:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I've got a lot of pipes, and my best (non Missouri-Meerschaum) smokers are relatively cheap pipes from Chacom and Savinelli. I reallllllly like my Cavicchi pipe, but it sometimes gurgles a bit. Nording, Dunhill, Petersen, etc etc are all fine, but really I just want my pipe to feel good in my hand and teeth and to smoke good. Nobody outside of pipe nerds knows what the brands are anyway, so it's not like you're going to impress anyone with a $1500 pipe versus a $50 one.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've got a lot of pipes, and my best (non Missouri-Meerschaum) smokers are relatively cheap pipes from Chacom and Savinelli. I reallllllly like my Cavicchi pipe, but it sometimes gurgles a bit. Nording, Dunhill, Petersen, etc etc are all fine, but really I just want my pipe to feel good in my hand and teeth and to smoke good. Nobody outside of pipe nerds knows what the brands are anyway, so it's not like you're going to impress anyone with a $1500 pipe versus a $50 one.

All of my best smokers are basket pipes.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

DerekSmartymans posted:

What’s the point of having Conan-Doyle’s calabash if you’re too scared to light up some Frog Morton (PBUH, RIP) while bullshitting with good friends to make fun of your pretentiousness?

Supposedly you can get a pretty good recreation of Frog Morton by mixing equal parts Peter Stokkebye English Luxury PS 17 and Lane Limited HGL.

Haven’t tried it so I don’t know for sure, but if you feel like it you could find out!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ishamael posted:

Supposedly you can get a pretty good recreation of Frog Morton by mixing equal parts Peter Stokkebye English Luxury PS 17 and Lane Limited HGL.

Haven’t tried it so I don’t know for sure, but if you feel like it you could find out!

I hadn’t seen that! Def putting those two in for December’s tobacco budget 😬

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010
How long do you leave your online orders/shipments in your humidor before smoking?

I've been waiting 24-48 hours, but I'm seeing some people online that wait weeks or even months, so I'm wondering what the thread's advice is.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FouRPlaY posted:

How long do you leave your online orders/shipments in your humidor before smoking?

I've been waiting 24-48 hours, but I'm seeing some people online that wait weeks or even months, so I'm wondering what the thread's advice is.

I usually go for a couple of days. Cigars are a live culture, so any amount of aging is kinda gonna have unpredictable effects.

If I get a big order that changes my overall humidity, I might take a few weeks to smoke the new things. For smaller orders, a few days is usually fine for even small seasoned humidors.

Got a new meerschaum lined snifter bowl for one of my Falcons:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Keepin’ it real cold in west Tennessee this week, gonna be in the low 60s the next few days :lol:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I gave up nicotine for January, so my stretch from December 29th-February 2nd was my longest stretch without nicotine since I started!

I had a Padron 80th maduro to celebrate:

I’ve been waiting to use this Meerschaum lined snifter bowl for my Falcon this whole time, so some Ennerdale is trying out for me to enjoy shortly:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Breaking my vaping habit, i went without smoking for like 2 years, and getting back into cigars and pipes as I miss them.
Jumped on Black Lion luxuries COTM and just got my first shipment:
Oliva Serie V Melanio
Dapper Desvaldio Disla Corona Gorda
Crowned Heads Mil Dias Maduro Edmundo
CAO Brazilia box press
United Firecracker Black Bomb

Waiting to join Small Batch Cigar $50 COTM (always loved what I got from these guys) + a box of DTT Sobremesa Brulee and now I'm tracking down a falcon pipe. Need a pretty bowl thats actually on stock in somewhere.

Excited to have my first work cigar tomorrow. I miss work cigars

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
Greetings, can anyone make me some recommendations for a good “Balkan” blend pipe tobacco? That is to say, an oriental-focused blend with some latakia but distinct from English blends. I want it sour! Tangy! Latakia is assumed but can’t be the only oriental leaf tobacco present.

Here’s some examples that are at least in the right ballpark:

Skiff Mixture - Samuel Gawith
Cairo - G.L. Pease
Rare Breed - Gurkha (this one surprised me)
I think Byzantium by C&D but I didnt keep notes so I’m not certain that was the one

Here are some great blends that are examples of not what I’m looking for:

Plum Pudding
Star of the East
Quiet Nights
White Knight
Blackhouse
Pirate Kake
10 Russians
Bengal Slices
EMP - although, maybe not super far off
Nightcap

Empty Pockets fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 3, 2024

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Empty Pockets posted:

Greetings, can anyone make me some recommendations for a good “Balkan” blend pipe tobacco? That is to say, an oriental-focused blend with some latakia but distinct from English blends. I want it sour! Tangy! Latakia is assumed but can’t be the only oriental leaf tobacco present.

Cairo - G.L. Pease
I think Byzantium by C&D but I didnt keep notes so I’m not certain that was the one

Plum Pudding
Star of the East
Quiet Nights
White Knight
Blackhouse
Pirate Kake
10 Russians
Bengal Slices
Nightcap

Unfortunately I'm not big into Latakia or oriental blends, but if you're into sour and tangy, have you tried perique blends or red virginia? Might be good to explore - they're often more those flavours.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Unfortunately I'm not big into Latakia or oriental blends, but if you're into sour and tangy, have you tried perique blends or red virginia? Might be good to explore - they're often more those flavours.

I’m certainly down with Orlik, but my perique experience is usually in a VaPer context and while nice, seems like a different thing. I like pure Virginia tobaccos/blends too, but it’s not something I’ve felt the need to really drill down on finding a particular profile yet.

Tell you what though, virginia blends with prominent “citrus” notes would also be welcome.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

If you haven't tried many Virginia tobaccos you likely haven't had a red Virginia yet, which I believe is the tangy you're looking for. Check out Sutliff 515 RC-1.

Ditto for VaPers, I love Orlik but it's basically just a straight Virginia. Give 4noggins Prairie Wind a shot for something more sour.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Empty Pockets posted:

Cairo - G.L. Pease

Plum Pudding
Star of the East
Quiet Nights
White Knight
Blackhouse
Pirate Kake
10 Russians
Bengal Slices
Nightcap

Have you tried the Smoking Pipes tobacco locator tool? It’s pretty aces for finding new stuff:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

If you haven't tried many Virginia tobaccos you likely haven't had a red Virginia yet, which I believe is the tangy you're looking for. Check out Sutliff 515 RC-1.

Ditto for VaPers, I love Orlik but it's basically just a straight Virginia. Give 4noggins Prairie Wind a shot for something more sour.

Thanks, I will try these.

NewFatMike posted:

Have you tried the Smoking Pipes tobacco locator tool? It’s pretty aces for finding new stuff:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/

Yes, but Latakia is produced using oriental varieties and I'm wondering if that is throwing off the search parameters. I like English blends too so in a more general sense there's no downside to getting 2 oz tins of this and that, but for my preferences I don't think there's much out there that can beat Quiet Nights for that flavor profile. It did recommend one though that I do plan to try (Sunset Harbor flake). It also presents a good selection of blends including orientals without Latakia, so I might have to try some of those too.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Empty Pockets posted:

Cairo - G.L. Pease

Plum Pudding
Star of the East
Quiet Nights
White Knight
Blackhouse
Pirate Kake
10 Russians
Bengal Slices
Nightcap

Presbyterian and Mississippi River

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My favorite oriental is Rattray's Red Rapparee. Red Virginias, orientals, lots of Latakia. A very good smoker.