Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

NewFatMike posted:

I'm at Up Down for the foreseeable, I'll be posting periodic updates

hahahah holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Each one gets its own for the depravity involved here.

The tobacco filtered itself, so we've punched closer to the ember and that's working

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

NewFatMike posted:

The tobacco filtered itself, so we've punched closer to the ember and that's working

You know, I’ve joked about trying to convince somebody to do a Flute Cut, but drat.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

NewFatMike posted:

lmao this loving rules

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Increasingly engineered solutions are required.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We've had a photo shoot

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We're going to try it in chunks now. A smaller one to start.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The nub is a success!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Absolute mad lad.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I was considering a Monte A later but I can’t keep up with this.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The snacks are something else, but it's going great! Gonna hit the entire remainder shortly. We've got about a foot left.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Taking a burrito break, then I'm heading into the full remainder!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I can't believe you're actually doing this.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Briefly interrupting smokin a baseball bat chat to say: Southern Draw Jacob's Ladder Brimstone is phenomenal. As you were.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Still a little thin, but we're achieving some degree of success! We'll see how the remaining amount goes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The end is nigh! It's actually finally starting to pick up in strength, which is great. It's starting to feel like a proper cigar now!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We have to head home, but that's not stopping me!!!!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The deed... Is done

It wasn't a great cigar experience, but it was fun as hell getting egged on at the shop and sharing in the total disbelief of fellow customers. I won't do it again, but I'm saving the massive cellophane wrapper as some sort of trophy to my appetite for the utterly grotesque.

Not bad for $30.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just finished smoking the longest cigar in my humidor in your honor, a Padron 1964 diplimatico natural, and I salute you.

I'm never smoking a cigar longer than seven inches though. Jesus Christ.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gobbless ye! My longest before this was the Don Pepin Garcia Exclusivo at 9" x 46 or so. Certainly the maximum for any reasonable smoke, but I heard Asylum will be releasing a 9" x 90.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
You have inspired me to smoke one of the 9” cigars in my cooler. I think I’m going to start with the sancho panza sanchos. I have to save the Monte A to smoke with my cousin who also has been holding on to one of them.

This will be done this weekend provided the weather holds up.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The My Father Fonseca Robusto is magnificent. Now I'm not sure if I want to get a box of these or the Cosacos...

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

The My Father Fonseca Robusto is magnificent. Now I'm not sure if I want to get a box of these or the Cosacos...

oh man. Nexein snagged a box of these in the 5 3/8 x 42 size (Cosacos?) and hoooo doggy are they spectacular.

I just got a shipment from Cbid that I'm pretty amped about. Cohiba red dots, a 601 sampler, a Caldwell sampler, and some Sobremesa Short Torpedos. I've had all of em before and they're basically all favorites so I'm pretty pumped to have a humi full of kickass smokes. The 601s in particular are CRIMINALLY underrated.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

The nub is a success!

How much time did smoking this thing take? I was trying to guess but really I don't even know where to start.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got that in about 5 hours. We lost about 3 inches to experimentation, so give or take.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I cracked a mag46 from the ‘19 box I picked up a few weeks ago. Goddamn it was good

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

I salute you while smoking a reasonably sized cigar.*

It's a Norteño pyramid, drat good, will probably buy another box.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

ritorix posted:

I salute you while smoking a reasonably sized cigar.*

It's a Norteño pyramid, drat good, will probably buy another box.

Those Hererra Esteli Nortenos are fuego. Nice moves. We just had Sobremesa Short Torpedos, which were absolutely awesome.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Rainy morning cosacos Fonseca ft my pollen covered car that's FINALLY catching a break, these things continue to own incredibly hard. Looking forward to trying some other vitolas like, immediately.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I asked the folks at Up Down what a good starter Steve Saka stick, and was recommended the Sobremesa Elegante en cedro. Very psyched to see how this Churchill goes down.

Follow up: this is super great. It channels a lot of the sweet woodiness that I recall from a Monty No. 2, a certain Cuban quality about it, and then it builds into a strong Nicaraguan profile. A sweet base, strong red and black pepper now in the final third, and cedar. From time to time a candy flavor pops in. Not cloying, and just around long enough to not wear out its welcome.

I do think this cigar fits the price point. That's saying something because I'm not huge on cigars that price into the teens and upwards. I think this is a great cigar that doesn't require constant engagement to really appreciate, though, like the Hors d'Ages series does, and really most of the premium brands I enjoy.

I'll definitely recommend this after a big meal, especially a celebratory one.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 29, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

I asked the folks at Up Down what a good starter Steve Saka stick, and was recommended the Sobremesa Elegante en cedro. Very psyched to see how this Churchill goes down.

I adore Dunbarton. If you liked that one get your hands on the short Churchill size. The blend is tweaked to give it a bit more oomph. They're one of my all time favorites. The Mi Queridas and Umbagogs are must try sticks as well.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked a Roma Craft Baka and a CLE Prieto. The Baka had a bbq/savory thing going and then the Prieto was wandering between coffee and chocolate with a good dose of spice mixed in.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

So I bought a cheap little hardwood Missouri Meerschaum a while back to see how they compared to the cobs. I'm smoking it for the first time today with some of the last of the Carter Hall I have on hand, and it tastes like loving grape.

The Captain Bob's Blend it shipped with ghosted it from being in the same parcel. I need to try that smoke tonight apparently to see just how much of a grapist it really is, because what the gently caress. Apparently I already have a pipe dedicated to it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Local cigar shop just opened up nearby - it's a satellite for a lounge out in the suburbs. Looks like it's run by a BOTL guy named Mario. Single cabinet humidor, not a terrible selection given the constraints.

I picked up one of his house blends - called the Culture 1011. Boasts a Sumatra wrapper, mixed Dominican and Nicaraguan binder and a broadleaf filler.

It reminds me of a Curivari Buenaventura with slightly more defined flavor. Not bad, but the same notes pretty much throughout the entire smoke. I won't buy it again, but I don't regret it either.

I may have something I know that'll be good tonight - probably that last Fonseca Robusto to celebrate my last full vacation day.

Anything special on the radar for the long weekend for y'all?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

These L'Atelier Travailleurs are something else. The Atlantic price on a box of 15 Lat56s is pretty good. I might get that and a pack of 5 x 10s when they come back.

These are fabulous. Brown sugar, spice, wood, wheat, and grass. I can't wait for the larger vitola.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Welp Captain Bob's Blend is officially the first tobacco I have dumped before completing the bowl. gently caress this thing, it's bag note is overwhelmingly grape but it smokes like someone took all the leftovers from the floor of a tobacconist, swept them into a pile, sprayed them with chemical cleaner, and put them in a pouch. Do not recommend.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gramps, I'm making a run for the multi posting crown at this rate :v:

I realized what those Travailleurs remind me of: Trinidad shorts. Maybe my favorite Cuban flavor profile, if I bought them I would essentially be back to cigarettes.

I have the LAT56 in my hands and I'm keeping some notes below:

Pre Smoke:

First, these are allegedly modeled after the Cohiba Behike series, and the comparison is not totally unwarranted. I think in 2012 or so when these first came out that the resurgent pigtail was somewhat less recognized.

The wrapper has gotten a lot of hype. The Garcias developed this hybrid for the Oliva family, from whom they source a lot of tobacco. It's called the "Spiritus Sancti" - a hybrid Criollo and Pelo de Oro plant. I'm not familiar with Pelo de Oro (hair/head of gold) - but it's a mold resistance decision. If it's anything like tea and greener smokes, the hairier the leaves, the better.

This thing is oily. Real oily. No hair on the leaves like I hypothesized, so I'm guessing that it's closer to "head of gold" for the wrapper name.

The foot smells mighty fruity, the wrapper smells chocolatey and leathery with a citrus/tang character hiding in there.

The pigtail is cute, but when clipped I'm getting some deep earthy fig.

The dry pulls are wood, chocolate, and sweet nuts. It certainly has the oily character of a lot of nuts like pistachio.

Let's crack in

FIRST THIRD

As with most Tatuaje/MF factory smokes, there is a fair amount of opening spice, but it passes. There's some fantastic butter and oak flavor, as well as that citrus/tang note floating around in the back.

On the retrohale, there is a fantastic full cream that comes into sweet wood as you heat up the cherry. The smoke filled my nose so much it was like an effervescent meringue.

There is a definitely Cuban profile at work here. I haven't had a Cohiba besides a Short in a long time, but I'll be keeping this cigar in mind while I smoke an 11 year old Siglo II on my birthday. It definitely feels like someone took a larger format Monte and cranked up the "savory" and "rich" dials. Maybe that is the Cohiba profile? I can't recall.

This cigar changes a lot with resting it. Putting the stick down for a moment to get some water and whisky brought out incredibly sweet cedar and oak.

This third is wrapping up, but I'm starting to get the same notes from those Travailleurs: wheat and grass are starting to show up, and it's so rich. If that's a standout flavor from the Centurion and DPG Blue, here's another fantastic stick it lives in.

SECOND THIRD

A nice, mild caramel has shown up to complement the other flavors. Spice is starting to pick up, currently it's a detectable, enjoyable level. Again, the richness cannot be overstated.

I've had to make a sandwich in the middle of this to keep going at it. It's a lot of cigar!

The nicotine level is much more tolerable now, and I'm really able to just delight in the sweet cocoa, mild caramel, and wheat-grass flavor.

There aren't a ton of ups and downs and shifts in flavor profile. It's just so drat good. This overall level of sweetness is rare.

FINAL THIRD

This is a big boy. It's really great. The ash is flaky, but holds a few inches at a time. It's developing this fermented funk, which is a big favorite flavor of mine. The other flavors are also staging a comeback, with the pepper picking up in strength. Vanilla and cream are also popping back in.

Amaretto is the final form of that vanilla cream flavor, and the effect is quite sensational as this smoke begins to wind down. The effervescence is too much to retrohale at this point, but it's a wonderful woody flavor

CONCLUSION:

This cigar is a monster. It's really more fitting after a big, big meal. I really loved it! The Speciales from L'Atelier are even stronger, which may be worth checking out.

I didn't want it to finish, which is always the sign of a good smoke. I'll certainly be picking up a box of these to keep in the humidor for special occasions. It's regular production, too, which is fabulous! It certainly carries a lot of the marks of a high-end Habano, and in many ways exceeds the ones I have experience with.

This certainly commands more attention than, say, the Sobremesa I had the other day does. It wants you to pay attention. I just found a tangerine looking for a post-smoke snack, and I think having one or two of these on hand or a square or two of chocolate might really just add the extra garnish the smoke needs to stay in there.

I want to compare it in some ways to the La Aurora 115th Belicosos which I love so much. The richness and character are certainly there, along with that delicious fermentation funk. The CAO Pilon has that in spades as well.

I'm buying a box, and it's made me that much more appreciative of how exquisite the Travailleurs are, as they carry a lot of the flavor without requiring a multihour session, and you can get away with not paying loads of attention to them. All in, a blistering success for my last day of a 10 day vacation!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
One of the cylinders in my car started misfiring as I was driving my youngin’ over to my parents house today so after the kids get to bed I’m going to fire up a Cazzadores and try to forget about getting that addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just smoked my first Rose of Sharon - it was fantastic. Definitely preferred it over the Southern Draw Firethorn and Jacob's Ladder I had tried previously - and that's not a knock on those two. Definitely had a character of it's own with a nice level of spice, definitely more than I was expecting from the Connecticut wrapper. I'm not like super good at grasping a ton of notes, and some friends showed up at my local pub I've taken to smoking at since I got vaccinated, so I wasn't able to put a ton of attention on it, but it was nice and complex. Looking forward to the other one I have in my humidor, as well as the two Desert Rose lonsdales I have hanging out in there.