Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I had a Gran Habano Vintage 2002 last night that went out about halfway through and I didn’t bother relighting it. It was okay but just wasn’t doing anything for me so I let it go. This afternoon I smoked my second El Centurion H-2K-CT and it is a phenomenal smoke. Really enjoyed it and hoping it gets better with time since I still have eight more in the tupperdor and I probably won’t get back to it for a while.

I’ve got one last order coming this weekend that I’m splitting with a friend. I’ve decided that once I’ve smoked enough of my stash to have an empty tupperdor I will buy some cubans to experiment with. This will be my motivation to stop buying cigars for a while. It’s going to take me a couple of months probably and then I can justify spending some extra money on the cubans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There are great inexpensive Habanos, too!

H. Upmann Regalias, Hermano y Quintero Nacionales, Partagas Mille Fleurs off the top of my head are $5/stick or under and are a great way to see if you'd like the more expensive offerings :)

Humidor is struggling a little, I may need to figure out a better system of adding new sticks. Dropping 40 into it has dropped my humidity to 62% for a few days. Even adding a ramekin of distilled water overnight didn't help!

Nothing catastrophic and the sticks that have been in there are smoking fine even though the new ones need some extra time.

Part of it is probably because the La Aurora Hors D'Age I put in there are like 60rg and long as hell, so they're a lot of mass to humidify.

Oh well! Live and learn. I'm planning on getting some drawers for my humidor and I'll have to figure out a way to season those. Hopefully it'll make these swings less extreme.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've been in a similar place with my humidor the last couple days. Quite a few of the Diesel Unlimiteds I got in were extremely dry, and were sucking up quite a bit of moisture in my humidor. I just the tray with those in it sitting out last night, since ambient humidity was like 72%. Might want to re-season my trays as well, they feel pretty dry right now.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Seems like Chicago just got hit with a seasonal shift, too. It's been very dry the last week or so, so that's probably not helping at all.

All my Sterilite bins have been holding smelly things like solvents and perfumed moisture removers, so I'll probably have to get another one to season the trays one at a time.

At least hobbies are a fun pain in the rear end! :v:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think I'm going to upgrade from a 19 qt to a 46 qt bin, personally. Because volume is magic, it's only a modest increase in footprint, but I'll be able to go from 3 shelves to 8. My girlfriend, who has been very understanding and chill about me suddenly becoming a big time cigar guy, only very mildly gave me poo poo for it, so I feel good about that.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Kenning posted:

I think I'm going to upgrade from a 19 qt to a 46 qt bin, personally. Because volume is magic, it's only a modest increase in footprint, but I'll be able to go from 3 shelves to 8. My girlfriend, who has been very understanding and chill about me suddenly becoming a big time cigar guy, only very mildly gave me poo poo for it, so I feel good about that.

That’s why I asked if you had a size limit. If you ditch the other container, it’ll look good on you. But if you order too many cigars and need “temporary” overflow, these things happen.

NewFatMike glad you’re liking Curivari’s offerings. And since you liked the Cafe Noir, Ciclope is your speed for sure. The San Andreas wrapper on it really shines in that cigar. Also they come in sub 54 gauges.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I met a neighbor today who informed me they smoke cigars and drink beer once a week on our block.

I think I moved to the right place.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
You know, I thought the big Sistema with 2 cedar trays would be a ton of cigars, but I got my 30 smokes in today from my cigarbid order and I nearly filled one tray. I guess I’m going to be a multiple tupperdor guy. Nobody in my house but me to complain at least.

I nabbed the “92+ Rated Big-Name Showdown” which is 10 different sticks for $30 on cigarbid. Smoking an Olivia Serie O torpedo and it’s a good smoke. Not really familiar with Olivia but it’s quite tasty.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

ThatOneGuy posted:

That’s why I asked if you had a size limit. If you ditch the other container, it’ll look good on you. But if you order too many cigars and need “temporary” overflow, these things happen.

NewFatMike glad you’re liking Curivari’s offerings. And since you liked the Cafe Noir, Ciclope is your speed for sure. The San Andreas wrapper on it really shines in that cigar. Also they come in sub 54 gauges.

One of the main reasons I need a bigger box is that I've become the guy who places/received the group orders for me and my buddies, and it can be awful tight fitting in 100 extra cigars if we do a big order. I think I'm going to use the old box to store books in the garage or something, but we'll see.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

You know, I thought the big Sistema with 2 cedar trays would be a ton of cigars, but I got my 30 smokes in today from my cigarbid order and I nearly filled one tray. I guess I’m going to be a multiple tupperdor guy. Nobody in my house but me to complain at least.

I nabbed the “92+ Rated Big-Name Showdown” which is 10 different sticks for $30 on cigarbid. Smoking an Olivia Serie O torpedo and it’s a good smoke. Not really familiar with Olivia but it’s quite tasty.

Imagine my surprise when I found out the max capacity for my current humidor was "somewhat less than 200 cigars" and my thought was, "Well gently caress, I definitely need to upgrade then."

Ophidian posted:

I met a neighbor today who informed me they smoke cigars and drink beer once a week on our block.

Finding out you have someone new to smoke with is always exciting, congrats dude.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a DPG Original/Blue and man that’s one hell of a cigar.

Ophidian posted:

Nice! Meeting the neighbors is always interesting when you move. Hopefully you’ll have a close, location wise, new smoking buddy(ies). I’ve been reading the old thread so I’m glad to know the adventures of Ophidian have turned out well. Feels sort of like I skipped to the end of a book. It looks like you and ThatOneGuy are the only active survivors from the early days of the last thread. I’m waiting to see what tragedies befell the missing posters as I continue my cigar thread archaeology.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I have 5 Sistema’s now :(. I just put one tray in the bottom because the second tray just barely fits (assuming we got the same size) and I didn’t want to mess up the seal on the box. I also bid on the 92+ this week with $30 as my max but it went up into the $40s apparently. I set and forget my bids for random packages like that. Seems like we are cigar doppelgangers this week.

I think Oliva is great and I always keep them on hand because they are tasty smokes, you can get them pretty cheap, and they are good quality. I tend to share Oliva’s with friends/new cigar smokers for this reason. Oliva Serie V and Master Blends III are the two best cigars they make and I also really like the Connecticut Reserve when looking for something milder. All of their “main” cigars are solid. I usually bid on the Oliva 5-Star Sampler #3 and the Oliva Top Ten Intro Sampler because they have the V, MB III, O, G, and the Connecticut Reserve which is basically what I consider their main/best line up. All of the cigars in those samplers are natural except for the MBIII which, I thought, was a maduro but now I can’t find anything to back this up so it may also be natural. There is a maduro version of the V, O, and G as well as a variant of the V which is the V Melanio (both natural and maduro) that are all good too. I enjoy all of these cigars and if I’m bidding on CigarBid and see the samplers I mentioned above I always bid on them and set my cap at $3-3.50/cigar. They also have their Nub, Cain, Inferno, and a couple other lines but I haven’t loved these as much as the above mentioned cigars. Nubs are fun because people tend to have strong feelings about them in general but also which Nub is the best.

TLDR: Oliva is good, try them all!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I generally try to avoid knockoffs of Habanos, and Fonseca No. 1s are super delicious. Tragically, I suffer from a disease known as "being an enormous sucker."

My local B&M just got these:

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/my-father-made-fonseca-shipping-next-week

A little pricier than I like to keep it, but again. I'm a loving mark.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

NewFatMike posted:

I generally try to avoid knockoffs of Habanos, and Fonseca No. 1s are super delicious. Tragically, I suffer from a disease known as "being an enormous sucker."

My local B&M just got these:

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/my-father-made-fonseca-shipping-next-week

A little pricier than I like to keep it, but again. I'm a loving mark.

My father anything is going to be good. This is like a restaurant under new ownership and the new owner is a well renowned chef.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Speaking of Don Pepin Garcia there is a sampler of his blends up on CigarAuctioneer. If you haven’t tried anything or much by DPG this seems like a decent entry point. I didn’t check what it would cost to buy these as singles but at $5.60 a stick this seems like a good deal.

This sampler includes:
Cabaiguan Belicoso Fino Natural (5 1/2 x 52)
Don Pepin Black Belicoso 1970 Natural (5 1/2 x 54)
Don Pepin Series JJ Belicoso Natural (5 3/4 x 52)
Tatuaje Havana Cazadores Natural (6 3/8 x 43)
Tatuaje Havana VI Belicoso Natural (5 1/2 x 52)
Tatuaje Reserva Cojonu 2006 Natural (5 1/2 x 52)

The auction has four hours left, price is $34, and there are ten lots available with no bids yet so you can probably scoop it for the bottom price.

https://www.cigarauctioneer.com/colecciones-del-rey-belicoso-sampler-cigars/item-60847?auctionnum=4424677

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
It's finally happened. After about 15 lanceros, I have one with a perfect draw. Illusione fume d'amour junipero.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Lyon posted:

I have 5 Sistema’s now :(. I just put one tray in the bottom because the second tray just barely fits (assuming we got the same size) and I didn’t want to mess up the seal on the box.

the two trays did not fit for me at first, either (it was extremely close), but i took a wood plane and shaved like an 1/8” off each, then sanded the faces I shaved and it was perfect.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Also, continuing to plug deals instead of buying them myself... Famous Smoke is doing buy two 5 packs get one free as well as buy two samplers get one free. They have some solid 5 packs available for this surprisingly, DPG, V Lance, AGR Quattro Nicaragua, etc. Their samplers tend to have a lot of junk in them but they are usually cheap and there are some good ones if you don’t mind sifting through the poo poo.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the two trays did not fit for me at first, either (it was extremely close), but i took a wood plane and shaved like an 1/8” off each, then sanded the faces I shaved and it was perfect.

Ahhhh that’s a good idea. I honestly can’t do it right now because I’ve stuffed them so full but I should do this, and will, once I’ve reduced my supply a bit. Ideally I will get down to 2-3 boxes instead of 5 if I can stop being an idiot.

goblox
Sep 13, 2012

Lyon posted:

Also, continuing to plug deals instead of buying them myself... Famous Smoke is doing buy two 5 packs get one free as well as buy two samplers get one free. They have some solid 5 packs available for this surprisingly, DPG, V Lance, AGR Quattro Nicaragua, etc. Their samplers tend to have a lot of junk in them but they are usually cheap and there are some good ones if you don’t mind sifting through the poo poo.

Ahhhh that’s a good idea. I honestly can’t do it right now because I’ve stuffed them so full but I should do this, and will, once I’ve reduced my supply a bit. Ideally I will get down to 2-3 boxes instead of 5 if I can stop being an idiot.

Thanks for the tip on the sale at Famous Smoke. I decided to pick up a few 5 packs of the Tatuaje black petite lanceros since they are eligible and one of my favorites.

SomedoodIV
Feb 28, 2013

So I'm still pretty new to the world of cigars and I've been enjoying them a lot. So far all I've had that I liked was a Romeo and Juliet (I THINK an 1875 Churchill?) And a slaughterhouse (unsure what else) that a friend gave me once. I really liked the slaughterhouse, particularly the leathery/woodsy taste I got from it. If anyone has any input as to what to try next it would be appreciated. I believe I'd look for a claro or Colorado style?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Stopped by my B&M and it continues to be a major boomer zone but I guess that goes with the territory. There is a new B&M opening a similar distance from me that’s in a younger town so I’m curious to see how that develops.

Picked up a Fuente Casa Cuba and Short Story as well as an EPC Encore. Smoking the Casa Cuba here and it’s pretty tasty so far. Tangy pepper flavor, it’s interesting.

SomedoodIV posted:

So I'm still pretty new to the world of cigars and I've been enjoying them a lot. So far all I've had that I liked was a Romeo and Juliet (I THINK an 1875 Churchill?) And a slaughterhouse (unsure what else) that a friend gave me once. I really liked the slaughterhouse, particularly the leathery/woodsy taste I got from it. If anyone has any input as to what to try next it would be appreciated. I believe I'd look for a claro or Colorado style?

I’m relatively new myself so someone can correct me on any of this if my information is off.

I believe the 1875 is a Sumatra wrapper and then Colorado refers to the color of the wrapper. I have never personally loved Sumatra wrappers but off the top of my head on the higher end there is the Ashton VSG and My Father The Judge, Undercrown Sungrown was mediocre to me but should be pretty accessible, the only Sumatra I really liked was the La Aurora Preferidos Emerald.

Maybe check out some milder cigars too, Connecticut wrappers tend to be a good starting point to expand from. Try the Perdomo Champagne, Oliva Connecticut Reserve, Rocky Patel 1999, or any of the other big name Connecticuts. There are tons of options in this category.

goblox
Sep 13, 2012
A good friend bought a box of these Padron Demaso's and shared one with me. I had no idea Padron had a connecticut wrapper. This cigar is a bit milder than what I normally smoke but it smoked beautifully.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Neat! Would you say it was better than the average Connecticut? Surprise cigars with friends are the best cigars. I still really like Connecticut wrappers even if smoke them way less than I was when I started. I also need to try the 1964 and 1926, all the weird variations are honestly intimidating me though. The only Padron I’ve smoked is the 5000 natural.

I smoked a Nub maduro and it was definitely a cigar. In terms of the Nub wars I’m firmly on team Connecticut but will revisit the Habano at some point in the future. I haven’t smoked the Cameroon yet but generally speaking I’m sort of ambivalent to them so I’m not expecting too much. Connecticut it is. I don’t plan on buying Nubs any time soon though cause large ring gauge cigars aren’t really for me.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Lyon posted:

Neat! Would you say it was better than the average Connecticut? Surprise cigars with friends are the best cigars. I still really like Connecticut wrappers even if smoke them way less than I was when I started. I also need to try the 1964 and 1926, all the weird variations are honestly intimidating me though. The only Padron I’ve smoked is the 5000 natural.

I smoked a Nub maduro and it was definitely a cigar. In terms of the Nub wars I’m firmly on team Connecticut but will revisit the Habano at some point in the future. I haven’t smoked the Cameroon yet but generally speaking I’m sort of ambivalent to them so I’m not expecting too much. Connecticut it is. I don’t plan on buying Nubs any time soon though cause large ring gauge cigars aren’t really for me.

Even the regular rear end 1964 and 1926 are fantastic sticks, no need to go diving into the different special editions (45th, 46th, 50th, whatever) until you have some special celebration you want something rare and expensive for.

Smoked an Ashton Symmetry and MF Flor de las Antilles this weekend. They were both fantastic, and the FdlA was the first My Father cigar I've actually enjoyed - didn't have the overbearing pepper and spice that the Le Bijou and especially the MF #1 hit me with. That Ashton Symmetry was something else though, beautiful stick, has that tanginess I like that can also be found in the Opus, AF Anejo, and Casa Cuba Flor Fina. The FdlA also had that note, which is probably why I liked it so much. I really need to figure out what people actually call that flavor because it would make finding smokes that resonate with me a lot easier.

goblox
Sep 13, 2012

Lyon posted:

I would rank it better than average. I am a big fan of Oliva's Connecticut as well. Outside of the 1964 and 1926 Padron has some nice hidden gems. I find their maduro panetelas and maduro magnums to be delicious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lyon posted:

Nub maduro is not a great cigar. I abandoned it halfway through. Had a Cameroon last night (the 464 torpedo) and it was much richer and sweeter than I remember, but still had a nice leather and wood base. I'm trending toward narrower ring gauges also lately, but I think Nubs are an excellent introduction to different wrappers, and generally speaking smoke/burn well and have excellent flavor (the maduro being a glaring exception).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Not much to report smokes wise besides ongoing humidor fuckery, which is a sadness. Hopefully I'll have a good process soon!

Turns out a second local shop I frequent will "ship" to my out of state address to bypass Chicago's insane tobacco tax, so that's good! Really excited to get some more business where my friends work in these tough times.

Gonna pick up a Sterilite bin this week and next paycheck I'll be picking up some drawers for my wineador, so I'll have a big rear end seasoning station with slats to promote more airflow :toot:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Just smoked a Hoyo La Amistad Black which was pretty tasty, tons of espresso with some pepper and tobacco flavors. The draw was absolute poo poo and I lost my PerfecDraw either at my B&M or in my car somewhere so there wasn’t much I could do about it. I got a five pack of these for super cheap so I’ll try it again in a while.

NewFatMike posted:

Gonna pick up a Sterilite bin this week and next paycheck I'll be picking up some drawers for my wineador, so I'll have a big rear end seasoning station with slats to promote more airflow :toot:

Once I smoke down my supply a bit I’m going to try and get more slatted trays for better airflow as well. I have Boveda packs at the bottom, middle, sides, and top so hopefully that is enough for my little Sistema boxes but I don’t really know. I just sort of tossed poo poo in the box and hope.

You have a fridge contraption right? I was looking at those but haven’t pulled the trigger on anything.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

You have a fridge contraption right? I was looking at those but haven’t pulled the trigger on anything.

I would invest in coolers instead. I constantly fight with mine. To the point where I’d flip mine if somebody wanted to buy it.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Cooler is the ultimate cigar investment.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The go to is always a Black n Mild Mild: Wooden Tip. That's what'd we smoke in the hood as 16 year old badasses

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

ThatOneGuy posted:

I would invest in coolers instead. I constantly fight with mine. To the point where I’d flip mine if somebody wanted to buy it.

The only reason I’ve debated about the cigar fridge is that we don’t have air conditioning and it has been hot in the philly area. We are planning to install a mini split system next year and summer is almost over so I will heed the advice and not get a cigar fridge. On an unrelated positive note I found my PerfecDraw in my car so that was exciting.

Also to you more experienced folks, when I finally get around to ordering my first cubans I was thinking of starting with this sampler, it’s a little pricey at $312, but it appears to cover all the major marcas and seems to be a good representative cigar from each one. Worth it or waste of money?

New To Cuban Cigars Sampler posted:

1. Bolivar Petit Corona
2. PL Picadores
3. Cohiba Robusto
4. R & J Exhibition no 4
5. H. Upmann Connoisseur Number 1
6. Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Number 2
7. Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2
8. Montecristo Number 2
9. Partagas Serie D Number 4
10. Por larranaga Petit Corona
11. Punch Punch
12. Quai D’Orsay Corona
13. Quintero Favorites
14. Ramon Allones Specially Select
15. Romeo y Julieta Wide Churchill
16. San Cristobal La Punta
17. Sancho Panza Belicoso
18. Saint Luis Rey Regio
19. Trinidad Reyes
20. Vegas Robaina Unicos

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
That’s really expensive for 20 Cubans, especially the ones you are looking at trying.

If you want a sampler, see what people on the onlinehumidor forums are selling and buy a few singlets or 5 packs. I’ve had a lot of good luck there and the stuff is already in the states so you aren’t waiting a while for it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Regarding my wineador, I've made some progress on figuring out my extremely low humidity (~60% despite having plenty of humidification sources):

It's been really warm the last week or so, and we keep the Windows open pretty regularly, so the condenser is doing a lot of work.

I believe adding so many new cigars to the mix sucked a lot of humidity out, which is understandable, but the refrigeration process condensed a lot of moisture out of the air and drained it out because it's running so much more often and kept the humidity from recovering to normal.

I dropped the apartment temp one degree and increased the humidor temperature by one degree, and overnight I got 2-3% increase in humidity. 65% isn't great, but it's much closer to smokeable than 60%. Hopefully it'll keep coming up to 70%.

I'm also getting some PG recharge solution for my beads. I've been using just distilled water for a year now, but hopefully this will get them a little happier.

It's only a matter of time before I just put an oasis in there :v:

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

NewFatMike posted:

I dropped the apartment temp one degree and increased the humidor temperature by one degree, and overnight I got 2-3% increase in humidity. 65% isn't great, but it's much closer to smokeable than 60%. Hopefully it'll keep coming up to 70%.

60-68% is where you want to be for keeping stuff smokable. 65% is great honestly. 70F/70% is a myth for being the perfect storage condition; it should be viewed as a maximum instead of the ideal.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

That’s really expensive for 20 Cubans, especially the ones you are looking at trying.

If you want a sampler, see what people on the onlinehumidor forums are selling and buy a few singlets or 5 packs. I’ve had a lot of good luck there and the stuff is already in the states so you aren’t waiting a while for it.

Thanks! I’ll check them out. The $312 was higher than I’d like but it’s hard to find samplers or low quantity options so hopefully this is what I’ve been looking for (or it’s a rabbit hole I’ll never return from).

NewFatMike posted:

Regarding my wineador, I've made some progress on figuring out my extremely low humidity (~60% despite having plenty of humidification sources):

It's been really warm the last week or so, and we keep the Windows open pretty regularly, so the condenser is doing a lot of work.

I believe adding so many new cigars to the mix sucked a lot of humidity out, which is understandable, but the refrigeration process condensed a lot of moisture out of the air and drained it out because it's running so much more often and kept the humidity from recovering to normal.

I'm also getting some PG recharge solution for my beads. I've been using just distilled water for a year now, but hopefully this will get them a little happier.

It's only a matter of time before I just put an oasis in there :v:

Hopefully you get it figured out. I just have junk in my boxes and I would still be sad if they got messed up but I can imagine the extra stress you guys with nice collections go through. I’m reading this as another experienced cigar smoker advocating against a cigar fridge though :).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ThatOneGuy posted:

60-68% is where you want to be for keeping stuff smokable. 65% is great honestly. 70F/70% is a myth for being the perfect storage condition; it should be viewed as a maximum instead of the ideal.

That's good to know! Usually things have been pretty good, and humidity has stayed under.

I've also relocated the fan because I think I've got some dead zones somewhere in there. Overall getting drawers with slats will also help with airflow instead of some empty boxes with the lids taken off.

Lyon posted:

Hopefully you get it figured out. I just have junk in my boxes and I would still be sad if they got messed up but I can imagine the extra stress you guys with nice collections go through. I'm reading this as another experienced cigar smoker advocating against a cigar fridge though :).

Unless a wrapper bursts catastrophically that can't be glued back together from getting oversaturated, there's not a lot of permanent damage you can really do to a cigar. Some of those 10+ year old ones have lived in...6 houses with varying levels of care (I took many years off of cigars).

The wineador has been good - I'm not sure if you're delineating between a fridge and a cooler, though. This one is more or less a converted wine cooler. It's got a 300 stick capacity, but we consistently keep it well below that for a mix of budget and increased consumption during the ronitimes. That's certainly not helping keep the swings in humidity in check.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm using an Ammodor right now I built a year or so ago, but it has fairly limited capacity. Can someone give me a quick rundown on a tupperdor for longer term storage?

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm using an Ammodor right now I built a year or so ago, but it has fairly limited capacity. Can someone give me a quick rundown on a tupperdor for longer term storage?

Buy a large, food grade plastic container that seals well. Wash it out until it no longer smells. Add cigars and Boveda packets, ideally 69% and below. Done. And you can scale the container up as much as you want, such as coolers.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Storing cigars

Cigars are a bit delicate, and its loving annoying. To stay in good condition, they should be kept at around 70% humidity and around 70 degrees F. There are elaborate, decorative humidors that can serve this purpose, but most goons keep their cigars in coolers or sealed plastic totes with humidity beads to keep it steady and cheap hygrometers to meter it. This box with this humidity pack and this hygrometer will get you started just fine. If kept in proper conditions, cigars will improve with age and are worth setting aside if you can manage to not smoke them all.

Keep in mind, if you're going to buy 1 or 2 cigars and smoke them within a week or so, a humidor isn't really necessary. You only need to get into storage if you've got enough cigars that it might take you several weeks to smoke them, since that's plenty of time for them to dry out under normal conditions.

This is from the OP and holds up just fine. I followed these recommendations and now I have five large Tupperware containers full of cigars, two small ones, and a “starter” humidor that are all filled. You can also order cedar trays that will fit and season those for the additional humidity control and smell.

The other big thread recommendation is to get a large cooler (like the kind you would take to a tailgate) and use that to store your cigars. If I had known how quickly I was going to accumulate a stupid number of cigars I absolutely would have gone this route. I have no experience with it so I’ll let others chime in on the specifics but it’s generally the same idea as using Tupperware just on a larger scale. Another nice benefit is if you start buying boxes of cigars you can put the entire box in the cooler.

Edit: beaten by ThatOneGuy who ironically just said this in my read through of the old thread,

Edit2: Smoked a Don Tomas Special Edition, it’s a Connecticut so it was very mild, sort of dry, a little sweet. It could be a decent yard stick I guess. I’ve been ending cigars about half way through lately if they aren’t doing it for me.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 26, 2020

Elandur
Nov 4, 2005

Avril Lavigne X 1,000!

Ophidian posted:

Must be nice. When I go out to sit in my back yard to smoke a cigar or pipe in the evenings, I hear my neighbor angrily slamming their window.

No remorse though, they're generally noisy as gently caress and park their car in front of my house drat near every day to make room for pickup/dropoff for the daycare they illegally run out of their house. Their daycare is also noisy, and I don't know if I can listen to Baby Shark or the Frozen soundtrack full volume one more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

One of the things I like about the cigar smoking community is that, unlike many cigarette smokers, we recognize that we smoke a stinky devil-weed and try to mitigate its effects on our fellow human creatures. That said, you definitely get to smoke in your own backyard, especially if they're running a daycare out of theirs.

I have bad news thread. There was a bunch of mold on several of my Montecristo Whites. Of the 10 I got, have developed mold since I got them last week, including a bit on the foot. Is there any intervention to save these smokes? It's a nice cigar, and I'd like to enjoy more of them. I kept them in cello, so I'm hopeful that the spores haven't colonized the rest of my humidor, especially since I haven't moved them much since putting them in. I assume one of the 5-packs was infected.

Do I need to do anything to protect the rest of my collection? I have, uh, several cigars that I'd prefer not to lose.