Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

So glad I found this thread. My friend and fellow goon Nexein and I got really into cigars during the pandemic last year. I smoke a wide variety of cigars pretty much daily so I'll be posting in here a ton.

Here's a pic of the "bro smokes" shelf of one of my tupperdors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Welcome to the thread! It looks like you've got a lot of Southern Draw in there. What are they like? I was looking at some the other day because they seem to release a lot of coronas (which I love), but I don't remember anyone posting about them.

We actually haven't tried them yet! I became a massive cigar nerd over the last year so I keep hearing how great they are so I scored a couple samplers from cigarpage. Weather has been fairly lovely since they came so we haven't had the chance to get together for a bro-smoke sesh. I'll definitely post here once we dive into em.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Cold weather smoking is a bummer. Of the last 20 cigars I smoked outside probably 10 had major issues due to weather. Cold is bad, cold and windy is impossible. Had a Nasty Fritas where the wrapper didn't light at all and it just cored right out even smoking for 20 minutes. My lovely wife has since allowed me to put an air purifier and a window fan in our mechanical room, so I at least have a makeshift smoking dungeon until I get my sun porch built.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

Smoked a Mi Querida and a Highclere Castle Habano, the Mi Querida was pretty good, subtle sweetness to it. The Highclere castle started good with some bakers chocolate but it got sort of acrid on me.

Big fan of both of those cigars. I liked the Triqui Traca a little more than the regular Mi Querida. The Highclere Castle was fantastic and I definitely want to try the Victorian now too.

I'm heading to my makeshift cigar dungeon to have a nice morning smoke and a cup of coffee. Going with the AB Tempus Maduro Quadrum today, which I never see people talk about anywhere. That's a shame because they are insanely good. Gorgeous wrapper, perfect construction, and killer flavor. German chocolate cake with espresso all over the place. 10 pack from cigarbid was like 35 bucks on free fall which is criminal for a cigar this good. Any of the AB Tempus are great at a price like that, but the Maduro is my favorite AB.

Edit: partial trip report- not getting the cherry notes this time as much, a little spicier than last time. Getting a bit of a wonky burn as box presses are prone to, that might be the difference. Still quite excellent. I've been fighting humidity a bit lately. My humis have 69 bovedas in em but it's chilly downstairs so my hygrometer reads 72. Dryboxing a few days before I smoke seems to help but a lot more cigars have been fighting to stay lit than normal as of late.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 10, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Welcome to the thread! It looks like you've got a lot of Southern Draw in there. What are they like? I was looking at some the other day because they seem to release a lot of coronas (which I love), but I don't remember anyone posting about them.

You know what I lied in that last post. We tried the 300 manos habano that was in that sampler and it was awesome. Nice and spicy reminiscent of the 601 red.

Edit: Mail just landed. Don't even have room to put these away at the moment, but first world problems, right? AJ Last Call Maduro Chiquitos, Flor De Las Antillas Belicosos, and Umbagog Corona Gordas. Very excited to try the Last Call and the Umbagog.

I also may have gotten a little excited and cracked into the Last Call Chiquitos. 3.5" of pure broadleaf goodness. Surprisingly great construction, flavor falls in between a Charter Oak Maduro and a La Aurora Sapphire. Excellent little morning smoke. Got drat near an hour out of this lil guy. Must purchase for fans of smaller smokes.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 10, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stop me if you're sick of my posts, but holy poo poo you guys. This cigar is a RIDE. Southern Draw Rose of Sharon. Nexein and I headed into my crappy mechanical room smoking dungeon and lit up almost an hour ago. We're barely halfway. Every puff in the first third was different and the flavors would fade into each other before you could fully place it. Starts spicy and creamy with a hint of woodiness, turns nutty and sweet with some baking spice and a light fruitiness. Flavors stabilize a bit into a light sweetness like honey nut cheerios in almond milk with a couple freeze dried strawberries in there. What the gently caress? Pairs almost too perfectly with the Suntory Toki we're drinking.

Edit: flavors stayed pretty much the same through the end, but they were drat nice so I don't mind. Took 2 hours and 20 minutes to finish in the Toro size. Buy these.

[]

Gramps fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 12, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Yo that sounds loving great, and it's on CA so it's definitely on the list now.

I'm gonna need some time to process it, but it might be the best cigar I ever smoked. For sure the best lighter colored cigar. Definitely the only one that relentlessly grabbed my attention and made me excited to see just what was going to surprise me in the next puff. We smoked them very slowly with mostly small puffs, and that really seemed to help bring out the more delicate, sweeter flavors. The pepper and spice was intense at light up, then slowly throughout the cigar evolved with every puff. Nexein and I both struggled to pinpoint notes early on because it was so complex and changed so fast. I will say the whisky we were drinking happened to be an absolute slam dunk of a pairing, so I guess my enthusiastic recommendation will come with an asterisk until I blast a few more with coffee/water/pellegrino which is what I usually pair sticks with. Either way though these things punch WAY above their weight. The only other stick I've had with a remotely similar flavor profile is OpusX, and this was a lot better. I think Opus are fantastic (just too expensive) so that's saying something.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 12, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Current plans are to just laze around the house all day. Prolly make a nice big lazy breakfast. My girlfriend will occasionally join me for a smoke, and she enjoys the Perdomo Champagne puritos, so I might be able to entice her to sit outside with a second cup of coffee after breakfast. If I can pull it off, I'll probably smoke my last La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire corona.

Broadleaf cigars are the best, and La Aurora sapphire is up there with the best of the best, especially for the money. Watch cigarpage like a hawk because I got 20 robustos for 69 bucks several months ago. Skip the perfectos. They're great but not worth the extra money over the robusto.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Hell yeah fellow La Aurora Preferidos fan! I didn't know they came up on cigar page for that little, CA has been around $80-90 mark for coronas.

CigarPage Overruns are absolutely the poo poo as well, especially the Nicaraguan Maduro. They've been my go-to cheapie since the first brick I bought. Visually almost indistinguishable from the aging room quattro nicaragua, and very similar flavor profile. Their "Toasty Jones" maduro torpedos are awesome too. They all could use a little age but they're unreal for 2bux

Edit for the real reason I came in here to post: Nexein and I are almost certainly starting a cigar blog since that space is currently dominated by a bunch of boomers. What kind of things would you guys like to see? I know if I do video reviews they'll be WAY shorter than most of the ones out there now, and I will definitely be posting about killer deals I find. What else?

Gramps fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 12, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Ophidian posted:

Less flowery language.

The cigar review industry is rife with straight up fart huffers and itís really off putting.

I tend to agree. I like halfwheel but Charlie gets WAY out there sometimes. Gimme flavor notes and a good idea of what's going on, maybe some jokes if you got em. I definitely think short and sweet should be more of the standard. Not everyone wants to spend 10 minutes reading a cigar review.

ritorix posted:

It would be great to get a review with two different opinions on the same cigar. And maybe a profile of what the reviewers generally like. I watch exactly one YouTube cigar channel and it keeps things short, with ratings like "would keep in humidor" all the way down to "would not smoke if given".

This is kinda the plan. Not sure if I want to use a full on CA style scoring system or just more of a "this rules" or "this sucks" type thing.

Lyon posted:

This morning I smoked an Ezra Zion Spiked Eggnog which was pretty tasty. Have you guys ever tried any of the EZ stuff? I got a few of them in a trade and this first one was pretty good. Their marketing materials are ridiculous and they seem to be a bit pricey but it was an enjoyable smoke.

Nexein bought a 5 pack of Knife Fight last summer and they were pretty drat good as I recall.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

I'll be happy to do some guest contributions where I can if you'll take free articles

I'm really psyched about y'all doing this. I hate that a lot of cigars are only reviewed by Kohnhed and he's uhh

lovely.

gently caress yeah man other contributors is definitely in the cards. You guys will be the first to know once we're live.

I just want more people to find out what they've been missing more than anything. I smoked cigs for way too much of my life, but had I discovered premium cigars sooner I never would have touched the accursed things.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

E: It's actually a sin how well this is going for literally coming out of the mail, from it's box, into my drybox and now being smoked in a 15 degree shed with a blast furnace running next to me. This is a lesson on how I will never be punished for my hubris.

Mine loving slayed too. CigarPage comin through clutch once again. 113 bucks for a box of 20 belicosos does not suck.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Woo another patented Gramps double post

Caldwell Long Live the King. Scored a 20 ct sampler off of Cigarbid for an absurd price (74 bux on freefall I think). The Midnight Express and this one are my favorites of the bunch but they're all excellent. Phenomenal construction, interesting and somewhat unique flavor profiles, and if you pay what I did there aren't many better deals on cigars this good.

Speaking of deals-here are a couple I've found that I've bought and will rebuy in the future. These are all free fall deals on cigarbid so I'll list the price you should expect to see it reset at. Have your trigger finger ready. I usually search for "sampler" or "collection" to see what's currently available. They sell these exact same samplers on CI but you'll get em up to 50+ percent less on freefall if you're patient.

601 sampler- 58 bucks or so for 20. Loved all 5 cigars in the sampler but the 601 blue is magical.

Oliva Master blends 3 sampler- around 60 bucks for 4 vitolas, 20 sticks. I think between Nexein and myself we bought 4 of these last year. Phenomenal sticks that sell for WAY more than this anywhere else. I'm quite partial to the figurado.

Top flight sampler (these change a bit) -around $60 for 20. Includes 4 each of the CAO Flathead, La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor, San Cristobal Quintessence, Rocky Patel 1990, and Cohiba red dot if I recall correctly. These all rule.

Nuberlode sampler (30 cigars for around 99bux!)- includes 5 each of Nub CT, Maduro, Double Maduro, Habano, 560 habano, Cameroon, and Cain F. The nub Dub is one of my all time favorites but these all loving rule.

PYF smokin deals fellas

Gramps fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 13, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

How's the quality of the cigars from CB been? I had a few orders with them that were super dry and lost quite a few cigars to cracking, which sort of soured me on them for a bit, especially since Cigar Auctioneer seemed to be delivering higher quality stuff. I might need to get back on CB though, because the deals there were pretty great.

I've really had no issues to speak of. Their packaging leaves a bit to be desired (not enough padding, no Bovedas) but they're in PA and I'm in CT so a couple days really isn't enough time for the sticks to get hosed up. We smoked most everything straight out of the mail too. The only thing I got from them that clearly needed more rest were some Ramon Bueso the Project. One of them was perfect and really really great, but the rest had that astringent quality that screams "put me back in the humi for a few months". I will say they did gently caress up one of Nexein's orders and their customer service never got back to him, so they're on their last chance with me. If you are a fan of General Cigar Co's offerings (Cohiba, Hoyo de Monterrey, Punch, La Gloria Cubana, Partagas, CAO and Macanudo) then CigarBid is the place to shop because General Cigar owns them.

I use CigarPage a lot more these days, but what you can get on a given day is a lot less predictable. Cigar Page definitely has better deals on more desirable, higher quality stuff. Speaking of, they have an email list sale going on for half off the AJ Fernandez Bellas Artes stuff (one of my favorites) and a bunch of other stuff like Diesel and Last Call. I've liked pretty much everything AJ branded, and quite frankly most everything that uses his factories. https://www.cigarpage.com/aj-saturday-tenski-fest.html

Gramps fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 13, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

I have 10 of those sistema boxes so that ship sailed a long time ago.

Holy poo poo dude. I have a big one and a little one and I thought I had a lot of cigars. drat.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Ophidian posted:

True best part about Cuban boxes is that they increase in value the longer you keep them. It seemed to be every year on a box carried a 5-10% premium depending on what it was (after the first year).

We have not tried any Cubans yet because I'm reluctant to roll the dice with my cigar money when I know that if I spend the same money in Nicaraguan stuff it's all but assured to be great right away. I know box dates and resting your sticks becomes really important with Cubans, but that's the extent of my knowledge so any guidance RE: Cubans is greatly appreciated.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Do you have a PerfecDraw yet? If not you should get one ASAP. It's saved so many cigars for me, and as NFM mentioned upthread Cubans suffer some serious QA issues due to how far demand exceeds supply, so having something to loosen up an over-packed cigar is crucial. And it's not just for Cubans! It's saved countless new world cigars for me as well.

Nexein bought the both of us cigarpoons cause he's a good pal like that. Not sure which model (might actually be PerfecDraw?) It definitely has saved a few sticks, but with what I smoke I only need it maybe one out of every 50 I smoke, if that. I don't like it for nubbin' sticks because the metal heats up and I can taste it- I use toothpicks for that on the rare occasion it's warranted.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

zuffenphile posted:

The quote in the OP is great, I would try a few of the different brands to see if there are any you like more than others....the tobacco blends and aging can have a tremendous effect on the taste. What do you currently smoke? Strong / Mild?......

Yeah that OP is awesome I appreciate the heads up.

I smoke drat near everything I can get my hands on, and if it's a good example of the style I'll enjoy it for what it is. I tend to like Nicaraguan stuff the most, and my favorite cigars tend to be Broadleaf, CT broadleaf in particular. I like complex flavors. Off the top of my head my current favorites are the Rose of Sharon, La Aurora preferidos Sapphire, Tabernacle, Sobremesa short churchill, H.Upmann AJ Fernandez, and the 601 blue. I pair my sticks with scotch or Japanese whisky if it's booze, Guinness if it's beer, coffee in the mornings, and usually I keep water or San pellegrino nearby also.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 15, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stupid game time! Anyone guesses what this mystery smoke is I will change my avatar and title to whatever you decide. (not Nexein I think he knows)

I'll give you a couple clues. It's a box pressed figurado if you couldn't see, it's less expensive than it looks, it's spicy, dark, and leathery.

Edit: it also is slightly overhumidified thanks to my chilly basement, and honestly needs 6 more months resting at least.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Hey look another double post. Sorry I spend a lot of time thinking about cigars. I just checked cigarbid free falls on a whim and ALL of my favorite samplers they offer are available right now. If you have 30 minutes to kill you can lock most of em in at or under 60 bucks for 20 cigars but you gotta camp the buy button for a few minutes. Highlights include the Oliva Master blends 3, 601, caldwell, Maduro mountain, and nub samplers. If you need a lot of great stuff cheap now is the time. I have a ravenous appetite for new sticks (still learning) and these samplers are how I've tried a huge number of cigars in a short time frame.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

That a Melanio?

Swing and a miss. cheaper. A LOT cheaper.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 16, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

Man Oí War?

Edit: Oh hmm no the figurado is 7Ē so that seems unlikely.

Dramatika posted:

CAO Brazilia maybe?

Negative.

Honestly I picked an impossible one. I was just struck by how good this thing looked when I pulled it out of the cello. If anyone even gets in the ballpark I'll call it a win.

Last and probably most important clue- it came unbanded.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

Good thing I have an empty Sistema I guess. I honestly donít even really want most of this I just have an uncontrollable urge to continuously buy cigars.

drat lookin good man! I've never used CA but I should give em a shot as I had really good luck buying from Famous.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

drat I'll definitely have to spend more time on there. I hate their UI but it looks like it's worth putting up with. I live for cheap Dunbarton and Foundation sticks. My goal in the next few years is to meet Nick Melillo and have beers with him. When he's in the states he's only like 20 minutes away from me and he seems like a rad dude.

Edit: Good morning Upmann AJ. These absolutely rule and you can get a box of robustos for under 100 bux. Delicious stick with some really interesting floral and citrus notes you don't run into all that often. Every one has smoked like a dream too.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 16, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Alright spill the beans. I'd have guessed a Rocky Patel Vintage 2nd but none of those are really spicy. What was it?

You were definitely the closest. I mentioned it in a previous post actually. Toasty Jones Maduro from Cigarpage. I've had great luck with all their overrun type stuff (which sometimes they give stupid names to). Most of it is gonna need some age on it, but I've smoked and enjoyed a ton of these in varying blends and vitolas. They just posted some lanceros the other day, and if my humi wasn't stuffed I would have bought some already. They've all been frankly unreal for their price point. Very impressive construction, and good flavors. The only downside is sometimes you'll get some astringency if they aren't rested enough. If you have room in a humi for aging some sticks these are the best bundle type stuff I've found so far. They're long filler too! Their Nicaraguan double maduro overruns are almost identical to the Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua. I compared them side by side and it's pretty freaky how close they are.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 16, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

A Bunch of People posted:

Vitola Stuff

I'm all over the place with vitolas. I need to try all my favorite smokes in different vitolas to really get a fix on what my favorite size is. My favorites are all different shapes and sizes. I've enjoyed coronitas as well as nonsense like the CAO 660 Flathead. There really isn't any sort of pattern. I do know I like belicosos a whole lot and they're usually the best vitola when available in a blend, so maybe that's my favorite but I need to smoke more cigars to know for sure.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Now that you guys have gotten to know me a bit, would it be too much to ask for a recommendation from each of you? This thread is moving at a good pace so now's a good time to ask and get lots of good recommendations.

I'll recommend one I haven't seen anyone mention here but I think you all would enjoy- Casa Cuba Flor Fina. Reminded me of a baby Opus X for a way lower price.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Because it's impossible to give a single reco, I'll make three.

1) Leaf by Oscar corojo lancero. Currently my favorite cigar. Tastes like old library leather and oak duff, with a completely unexpected note of bubblegum that seems to pop up at least a couple times every time I smoke it.
2) Perdomo Champagne purito. A perfect cigar for a newbie, it's the one my girlfriend has on the occasions she smokes with me. Great mellow marzipan flavor that got boring in the toro I tried, but which is perfect in a little petite corona.
3) Ave Maria La Reconquista. I haven't smoked this one in a while, and I only have one left. A massive 7 x 54 torpedo, it's an aggressive pepper-bomb to start with, and then mellows out into rich chocolate that lasts forever. I recommend having this one after a meal, because the nicotine is pretty intense. Can get it cheap on CB last I saw.

Thanks man! I've had the Leaf by oscar in the Maduro robusto. I really liked it so I'll have to hunt some lanceros down. The Domo Champagne is a favorite of mine but I've only had the robustos. Ave Maria I haven't tried yet- one I see on cigarbid all the time though. I'll nab some next time.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

The My Father Centurion H-2K-CT is one of my favorite smokes and probably one unconditionally worth smoking at least once. The standard Centurions are super delicious and unique (very wheat/cereal flavored).

I've thoroughly enjoyed every MF I've had. Pretty sure Nexein likes em even more than I do. Just had a Flor de las Antillas matter of fact. I'll definitely snag these next time. They make so many blends it's hard to choose sometimes. Appreciate the rec

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

These recs are all great keep em coming. For the record, my lord commander of all cigar leaves is Connecticut Broadleaf, not shade. Shades are nice, especially in the summertime with a beer, but that dark sweet earthy chocolate spicy thing that a great CT broadleaf has is just unbeatable for me. If a brand makes a Broadleaf cigar then it's very likely to be my favorite from that brand.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dramatika posted:

I'm currently on a hunt for the Southern Draw Rose of Sharon - I think a B&M I was at a few weeks ago had a Southern Draw sampler pack and I'm hoping that's in it.

If it's this one then it definitely is in there. I bought a pair of these for Nexein and myself and I paid 25 each which is an even better deal than I thought it was originally. The Rose of Sharon absolutely blew my mind, and I can't wait to smoke the Jacob's Ladder in particular.

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/southern-draw-5-star-sampler/3833837/

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dramatika posted:

Your earlier post about the Rose of Sharon is what put me on the hunt, actually! As soon as these Texas roads get driveable again, I'm heading down there to check on it. I do have a Jacob's Ladder I'm looking forward to smoking, but the weather hasn't really been letting me do any smoking this week sadly.

Oh hahaha nice! I hope we didn't overhype it too much. It really was great though. Go slow whatever you do. The flavors change a LOT depending on how hot it gets, and the really desirable flavors definitely shine more when the stick is on the cooler side.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

I just spent a fortune on CigarAuctioneer but now my B&M has God of Fire and Lost City in so I might have to go snag some of those. I really need an adult.

I looked at my credit card statement earlier today and uhhhhh I have to stop

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Anyone else subbed to any cigar of the month type things? I signed up for StogieBird last month and was very satisfied with the way things were packaged as well as the haul itself. I got 2 each of Mil Dias, Serino Robusto Gordo, RomaCraft CroMagnon KnuckleDragger, and Liga Privada Nasty Fritas for 60 bucks. Not a crazy deal but not bad at all. I've heard good things about a few others, but they have waiting lists and StogieBird did not.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

Gramps bought a J Fuego Judge sampler that came with a xikar cutter when we started; thank god the cutter was good because I don't think I smoked a single good cigar from it *and* I still have one sitting in the bottom of my humidor.
e: I know it's not a Gurkha but the point is it's probably time to let it go.

Hahaha those loving pieces of poo poo... absolutely garbage cigars. I bet they'd be better now just cause we know how to not ruin a cigar when we light it, but they're almost assuredly still terrible.

Lyon posted:

Hahaha I bought a five pack of those early on. Still have four somewhere Iím sure if I didnít pawn them off on my idiot friends.

In cigar smoking updated Mi Querida is a solid Connecticut Broadleaf if you havenít tried it yet.

Mi Querida and the Mi Querida Triqui Traca are both favorites of mine. I've really loved everything I've had from Dunbarton, save for the Sin Compromiso but we need to give that one another rip sometime. I'm excited for the Umbagog chilling in my drybox. The first one I smoked was awesome.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein and I just had the Southern Draw Jacobs's ladder over the last couple hours. It was good, but the Rose of Sharon apparently has raised the bar pretty significantly. The Jacob's Ladder was a good example of the style, but it didn't blow my mind like the rose did. Doing a blind smokeoff between my favorite broadleaf cigars is something we are definitely going to do. Here's the contenders so far. Let me know if I missed anything. I want to do this right, so I want to make sure I can get the same vitola, so it needs to be available in a robusto.

Foundation Tabernacle
Dunbarton Mi Querida
Liga Privada no.9
La Aurora Diamond (edit:not sapphire I'm a moran)
Charter Oak Maduro

There's gotta be a lot more worthy to consider in this group I think.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 18, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

I feel like the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 is an excellent Connecticut broadleaf. Also, I think the La Aurora Sapphire is Connecticut shade, while the Platinum is their broadleaf offering.

Gah. Their broadleaf is the Diamond, not the sapphire. (the sapphire is really good too)

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

zuffenphile posted:

here is the latest haul.....

2 boxes H.Upmann Mag 46 x 25
1 box H.Upmann Mag 54 x25
1 Box Bolivar Soberanos x12
2 Boxes Trinidad Topes x12
1 Box Punch Double Coronas x50

all of these need time, however the Punch cigars are from '17

one more box to follow.....

You guys are gonna get me in trouble

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Degeneracy post incoming:

This was my Cigar Auctioneer gimmick buy. My buddies and I loved the Sapphires, and I'd heard various people enjoying the Rubies and Diamonds, so we had to try the set. Plus, we were getting low, and we love coronas.

The Emerald box (Ecuadoran Sungrown wrapper) was from 2016, so we obviously had to try that one first. Beautiful, silky wrapper, lit up easy. Meaty flavor, a bit spicy, tasted like carne asada. I caught a lovely cinnamon note at the end. Nice and intense, while staying managable. Burn wandered a bit but self-corrected well.

After that we tried the Diamond (Connecticut broadleaf). It seemed mild after the Emerald, with an even maduro profile with chocolate and figs. Looking forward to returning to that one with a fresh palate. Also looking forward to trying the rest of the set!

Ohhh yeah man. That's what's up. What did those set you back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

I got 'em all on Cigar Auctioneer for $80-$90/box. They also have the double perfectos if you prefer a figurado, and the tubos if you wanna impress your boss or something.

Yeah, I've been very impressed. Definitely going to keep exploring other La Aurora offerings.

I have absolutely loved all the LA aurora preferidos I've tried. The connecticut shade figurado and the diamond in robusto are my favorites so far, but they all absolutely rule.

Bill Burr is the reason I started smoking cigars. He and Bert Kreischer have a podcast they do together and they smoked cigars together in the first several episodes. Billy boy's favorite is the LA sapphire tubos so I had to try em. Cigarpage occasionally has insane deals and you can get even the figurado for a really insane price.