Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Giggle Goose posted:

It really is a shame they closed up shop. Years ago I took a look at the vast amount of tobacco out there and basically settled on Frog Morton stuff as my go to. I've got one full tin of the Cellar mixture and about half of a tin of On the Town left. Not even sure where to even start looking for something of similar quality, even if it isn't similar in taste profile.

Never had it before, but I have an order of Northwoods from Boswell's on the way and I've heard it mentioned as a new home for people seeking Frog Morton replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Had that Northwoods today for the first time - I'm not big into English style tobacco yet so I can't give a super thorough review, but the taste is an interesting blend that's heavy on latakia and Cavendish. Has an intriguing sweetness to it, especially in the first half of the bowl, with latakia the whole way through and some additional spiciness towards the end.

The aromatics from Boswell's are crazy though, they smell so loving good both in the tin and being smoked.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Had my first tobacco with deer tongue in it today, C&D Crooner, and drat do I really like the smell of it.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Smoking some semois for the first time (Reserve du Patron) and this poo poo is fascinating. Presentation is pretty radically different being packed tight into a dry brick and it goes up like kindling as soon as you put a match to it. Despite that there's no harshness as long as you sip it, and a nice rich taste. Seems like it'll be a great summer smoke.

For you cigar folks smokingpipes.com has some semois cigars in stock right now too in addition to the usual pipe tobacco.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

big boi posted:

I'm dying to try semois but I have so much tobacco I still haven't smoked

If you are a fan of burley in any way, do yourself a favor and grab some semois. It's both fantastic and unique for the genre.

Thanks for tipping me off on Chatham Manor a little while back by the way! I got some and it's a good premium version of the codger blends I'm fond of. It's weird though, Chatham Manor is undeniable better tobacco than Carter Hall, but I don't think I like it quite as much? Something about Carter Hall sticks with me better even though it's more of a Bud to Chatham Manor's craft beer. Unfortunately Carter Hall is sold out drat near everywhere that ships to Canada, I need to get a tub of it when it's back in stock as I'm nearly out of the pouch I started with last year.

NewFatMike posted:

Just popped in an order for Boswell tobaccos - not sure who recommended them, but I'm looking forward to it. Also eyeing down a really massive pipe so I can dump these chemicals in more efficiently :v:

I got some Kirkland blended Canadian whisky yesterday, and that's quite pleasant. I'm not familiar with Canadian whiskies, but it comes highly recommended and it's cheap as hell. I'm looking forward to making some cocktails with it!

Looking forward to camping for 4-5 days starting this weekend. I'm extra glad I'm smoking my pipes because now that it's been a few days, this Papa Frita is banging.

Hell yeah, I've been a big fan of the Boswell stuff I got. They all smell utterly fantastic in the bag, head and shoulders above any other aromatic I have tried. The room note is nice enough my partner has actually specifically asked me to smoke them inside, which, well, that doesn't happen. Unfortunately the smell doesn't translate much to taste, but that's par for the course with most aromatics.

Nexein posted:

While we have pipe dudes in the thread, are there standout recommends for picking out good pipes? I got a cheap Chinese pipe as a gift when I mentioned I wanted to start but it's no good. I was thinking of getting a vintage savinelli or something off etsy that I'll like using all the time, but if anyone has reccs, I'd take em.

I keep buying Missouri Meerschaum cobs - basically add one on to every tobacco order I make at this point. They're like $7, smoke fantastically well, and are just worry-free in general.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I had an order come in today of controversial pipe tobaccos: Captain Bob's Blend, Sutliff Mix #79, and my first lakelands aromatic (G&H Brown Flake). Holy poo poo was it hilarious to receive, the package itself REEKED of grape+perfume even before I opened it. Just tried the #79 and I actually quite liked it, has random bursts of flavor that ranges from licorice to root beer to several things I couldn't identify. Kinda surprised it has such a bad rap.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

So I bought a cheap little hardwood Missouri Meerschaum a while back to see how they compared to the cobs. I'm smoking it for the first time today with some of the last of the Carter Hall I have on hand, and it tastes like loving grape.

The Captain Bob's Blend it shipped with ghosted it from being in the same parcel. I need to try that smoke tonight apparently to see just how much of a grapist it really is, because what the gently caress. Apparently I already have a pipe dedicated to it.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Welp Captain Bob's Blend is officially the first tobacco I have dumped before completing the bowl. gently caress this thing, it's bag note is overwhelmingly grape but it smokes like someone took all the leftovers from the floor of a tobacconist, swept them into a pile, sprayed them with chemical cleaner, and put them in a pouch. Do not recommend.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I am a nicotine baby who can only smoke like half a flake of tobacco at a time. I don't exactly want to build up a tolerance, but does anyone have any tips for dealing with too much nicotine aside from going slow, dosing small, and pounding sugar if I go too far? Some of the stronger blends are right up my alley flavour-wise but getting nic-sick suuuuucks

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Thanks for the nicotine tips, I think the main thing is yeah don't be a dumbass and try and push through when I can always return to the pipe hours later.

Trying C&D Gentleman Caller tonight for the first time and goddamn it's the poo poo, I quite like deer tongue and this is the best application I've found of it so far. Even lightly used it dominates the flavour of the blend but it's such a nice natural herb-y way to make a tobacco turn aromatic.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Just got my Semois Reserve du Patron in today and this pipe tobacco is very wild. I can definitely see why it would appeal to burley tobacco-lovers.

It's nutty, mushroomy, and has a lot of hay/grass taste to it. It tastes a lot like a cigar than a lot of cigar pipe tobaccos. It's very intense - I might need to use a longer pipe than most of my noseburners to get the full experience.

Three Friars is ending up in the bowl soon! It's flake, not coins like Three Nuns, and it smells kinda similar. It's drying out a little now, and hopefully I'll have a trip report soon.

L'Atelier Travailleurs are out for delivery, too. It's a good day!

e: Well that Semois burned quick through my little pipe, and I have the Three Friars in there now. Seems pretty spot on, but that Semois kinda sticks around on the palate.

Glad you like the semois - figured it'd be up the alley of a cigar-smoker. It is wild how dry it is and how quick it burns, makes for a nice quick smoke when needed. Cool story behind it too, still made using machinery from the 19th century.

Smoking a bowl of Gawith Hoggarth Brown Flake Aromatic tonight. drat do I dig the Lakeland flavouring, it's like a super pleasant floral or rosewater style aroma to it. Shame I can't find anything else for sale anywhere, my usual spots (4noggins, Smoking Pipes, Tobacco Pipes) never have it in stock - seems like from chatter online Gawith Hoggarth basically only comes stateside once a year. I do have a tin of St Bruno Flake I need to pop open and give a try sometime soon though.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, I think I'm having a harder time finding pipe tobacco I really like the way I enjoy cigar tobacco.

The Semois is really up my alley - maybe my favorite ever - and I've got a good feeling about Sutliff 79, but I'm not super sure where else to go.

Give some John Patton Storm Front a try maybe? It's burley blended with cigar leaf, I dig it but I'm not a cigar smoker so can't really speak to if it matches up well. Semois is a type of burley so it may be your style if that's a favorite.

Nexein posted:

I have a grip of pipe tobaccos but I'm in dire need of a real, smokeable pipe that I always just reach for a cigar. Maybe it's time to invest...

I honestly still can't move past my Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs for pure smokability, and they're so cheap you can have a bunch and not worry about beating them up.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Thanks again everyone for all the recommendations!

The C&D Gentleman Caller is a real winner. I think it needs to dry a little more, but it's quite good. That Sutliff 79 smells AMAZING, can't wait to have that after dinner or something.

Gentleman Caller might be my favorite tobacco so far. It and Carter Hall are the two blends I've got a pound of in storage for the long haul.

Beware that 79 is from my experience probably the single most stubborn blend to keep lit. Stuff goes out constantly, don't be afraid to give it some drying time (but expect it to still go out anyways).

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

If you're that big a fan of Gentleman Caller trying ordering some Crooner next time, it's the other C&D blend with deer tongue in it. I prefer Gentleman Caller more, but Crooner is by no means bad - just a bit plainer (just cube cut burley + deer tongue) and is strong enough it makes my weak rear end start spinning.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

For those who have had Sutliff 79, did that stick around in your pipe with flavor? I want to make sure if it does that I might grab a cob for it.

I find all aromatics stick around to some degree, but Sutliff 79 doesn't seem any worse than usual for it. Maybe don't use it in your favorite pipe, but it's not like deer tongue or lakeland blends that'll ghost something instantly.

I should say I do smoke all my aromatics out of cobs though, my only briar pipe is reserved for nicer tobacco.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

:siren: the annual Gawith Hoggarth restock has occured at SmokingPipes, if you're looking for any Lakeland tobacco (very unique traditional British aromatics, floral is the best way to describe them) now's your chance. Already some sellouts.

I had only ever been able to get my hands on Brown Flake before and loved it, so I've put in an order for a fair amount of Ennerdale (the most well-known of their blends) plus some Bob's Chocolate Flake, Rum Flake, Dark Flake, and Kendal Flake. Excited to try these out once they come in.

FUCK COREY PERRY fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 25, 2021

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Double post but whatever, cigar goons I'm going camping soon and want to bring a few sticks along to share with friends. This would be for people who rarely smoke cigars, myself included. Any recommendations of newbie-friendly ones to try, and spots to order from in Canada? I know I had a maduro a few years back that I quite enjoyed, but beyond that I don't really know much of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cigars are a nice change-up from a pipe! Brought a pack of Toscano Classicos and some Victory Cigars Summer of 79 Robustos camping this last week and was impressed by both, especially the latter given it was a cheap house cigar from a Canadian site. Definitely can see myself trying more cigars out occasionally when I want something different from pipe tobacco.