Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Dramatika posted:

I'm suspicious that Ave Maria is pulling a Gurkha to be honest. Full disclosure, I haven't smoked any Ave Maria yet, but I do have a 5 pack of Reconquista's chilling in my humidor right now, which I got for around 24 dollars, while it lists for around 105 dollars ($21 each) and is 94 on CI right now. Throw a high list price on it, let it sit there for a while, and then throw it on bidding sites and watch people see 75% off a $20 stick and throw money at it.

Hopefully I'm wrong and these Reconquista's own since I have 5 of them, but $21 a stick is solidly Padron 1926 terriory, and well above AF Anejo's, Ashton VSGs/Symmetrys, Padron 1964s, and a bunch of other sticks that are special occasion sticks, so if I'm going of list price, that's a hard standard to meet.

That may well be the case. I'll say, I quite enjoyed the Reconquista, and certainly think it's worth $4-$8 per cigar. I absolutely wouldn't pay the $21 msrp, that's absurd. I think the thing with Gurkhas isn't just that they're overpriced, they're not even very good to smoke. I've got a bunch of Gurkhas in my humidor from when my buddies and I were just getting started and I literally have no idea what to do with them. They're just not pleasurable enough to offset the fact that smoking cigars is in fact bad for you, and I don't have any friends that I'm sufficiently ambivalent about to gift them away to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Holy poo poo, congrats dude! That's loving incredible. I'm very happy for you, both that you have such a nice box of cigars to look forward to, and that your partner is so thoughtful and good at making your day special. That rules.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Now that's a hefty smoke! Looks great.

I've definitely been enjoying smaller vitolas lately. When we first got started almost everything in the humidor at Total Wine is a robusto, toro, or Churchill, so it's been fun to try out coronas and belicosos. My buddies both really like the little Perdomo Champagne puritos, so we'll prolly re-up on those quite soon.

The CAO Flathead is a really loving intense smoke though. I don't know how people go through something that size and that intensity. I'll have to try it in a much smaller size. It's super tasty and well constructed, but the nicotine is insane.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

On Saturday I'd eaten a good meal maybe 2 hours before smoking. I've got a few of them, so I'll try it again specifically as dessert to see if it works out better that way.

Smoked another Diesel Unlimited robusto today. As my buddy who was also smoking one said, that cigar is a journey. The development as you smoke it down is wild. Plenty of dark caramel, at one point I tasted ginger snaps, and then some cinnamon a bit later. Really a fun smoke. Glad I have a pile of them.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Shared a Diesel with my buddy tonight. It was a little dry, unlike my earlier stick, but still quite enjoyable. Afterword I had a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 (Sumatra wrapper). Haven't had one in a while. Not super distinctive, but nice and sweet, and smoked beautifully. I particularly enjoyed doing very long, slow pulls. It really highlighted the honey flavors of the cigar. Quite a good time!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm starting to come around to small ring gauges. I've got a 20 pack of Leaf by Oscar corojo lanceros showing up sometime next week, I'm very excited for it.

Maksimus54 posted:

You are a terrible influence and I've got a box of Café Noir 54's on the way. Thank you

NFM is an extremely bad influence. They made me buy a box of E.P. Carrillo New Wave Stellas! I smoked one tonight and it was excellent. Draw was flawless, and the flavor was brown sugar, leather, and a touch of cinnamon. I've started trying out the slow draw – just pulling extremely lightly for like 10-15 seconds to get a really slow, cool burn on the tobacco. It brings out a lot of the sweet flavors of a cigar, and the New Waves took to it beautifully. This is an excellent smoke.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Excellent thread, thanks for posting that.

In the spirit of sharing deals, Cigar Auctioneer has a box of My Father Centurion H-2K-CT up right now. I got one for $110 the other day, so there are definitely deals to be had.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh man, FdlA in lancero sounds awesome. That's so cool! Where did you find it?

Smoked a Montecristo White Rothschild (5 x 52) today. Goddamn was that a tasty cigar. Honey and cream on a yeasty muffin. Burn and draw were also both flawless. A perfect hour smoke or so. Someone recommended this one either earlier in this thread or towards the end of the last one, and it was an excellent buy, especially for like $3.50 per. I've been really enjoying Connecticut wrappers lately.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 21, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've been in a similar place with my humidor the last couple days. Quite a few of the Diesel Unlimiteds I got in were extremely dry, and were sucking up quite a bit of moisture in my humidor. I just the tray with those in it sitting out last night, since ambient humidity was like 72%. Might want to re-season my trays as well, they feel pretty dry right now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think I'm going to upgrade from a 19 qt to a 46 qt bin, personally. Because volume is magic, it's only a modest increase in footprint, but I'll be able to go from 3 shelves to 8. My girlfriend, who has been very understanding and chill about me suddenly becoming a big time cigar guy, only very mildly gave me poo poo for it, so I feel good about that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

ThatOneGuy posted:

That’s why I asked if you had a size limit. If you ditch the other container, it’ll look good on you. But if you order too many cigars and need “temporary” overflow, these things happen.

NewFatMike glad you’re liking Curivari’s offerings. And since you liked the Cafe Noir, Ciclope is your speed for sure. The San Andreas wrapper on it really shines in that cigar. Also they come in sub 54 gauges.

One of the main reasons I need a bigger box is that I've become the guy who places/received the group orders for me and my buddies, and it can be awful tight fitting in 100 extra cigars if we do a big order. I think I'm going to use the old box to store books in the garage or something, but we'll see.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

You know, I thought the big Sistema with 2 cedar trays would be a ton of cigars, but I got my 30 smokes in today from my cigarbid order and I nearly filled one tray. I guess I’m going to be a multiple tupperdor guy. Nobody in my house but me to complain at least.

I nabbed the “92+ Rated Big-Name Showdown” which is 10 different sticks for $30 on cigarbid. Smoking an Olivia Serie O torpedo and it’s a good smoke. Not really familiar with Olivia but it’s quite tasty.

Imagine my surprise when I found out the max capacity for my current humidor was "somewhat less than 200 cigars" and my thought was, "Well gently caress, I definitely need to upgrade then."

Ophidian posted:

I met a neighbor today who informed me they smoke cigars and drink beer once a week on our block.

I think I moved to the right place.

Finding out you have someone new to smoke with is always exciting, congrats dude.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lyon posted:

Neat! Would you say it was better than the average Connecticut? Surprise cigars with friends are the best cigars. I still really like Connecticut wrappers even if smoke them way less than I was when I started. I also need to try the 1964 and 1926, all the weird variations are honestly intimidating me though. The only Padron I’ve smoked is the 5000 natural.

I smoked a Nub maduro and it was definitely a cigar. In terms of the Nub wars I’m firmly on team Connecticut but will revisit the Habano at some point in the future. I haven’t smoked the Cameroon yet but generally speaking I’m sort of ambivalent to them so I’m not expecting too much. Connecticut it is. I don’t plan on buying Nubs any time soon though cause large ring gauge cigars aren’t really for me.

Nub maduro is not a great cigar. I abandoned it halfway through. Had a Cameroon last night (the 464 torpedo) and it was much richer and sweeter than I remember, but still had a nice leather and wood base. I'm trending toward narrower ring gauges also lately, but I think Nubs are an excellent introduction to different wrappers, and generally speaking smoke/burn well and have excellent flavor (the maduro being a glaring exception).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

One of the things I like about the cigar smoking community is that, unlike many cigarette smokers, we recognize that we smoke a stinky devil-weed and try to mitigate its effects on our fellow human creatures. That said, you definitely get to smoke in your own backyard, especially if they're running a daycare out of theirs.

I have bad news thread. There was a bunch of mold on several of my Montecristo Whites. Of the 10 I got, have developed mold since I got them last week, including a bit on the foot. Is there any intervention to save these smokes? It's a nice cigar, and I'd like to enjoy more of them. I kept them in cello, so I'm hopeful that the spores haven't colonized the rest of my humidor, especially since I haven't moved them much since putting them in. I assume one of the 5-packs was infected.

Do I need to do anything to protect the rest of my collection? I have, uh, several cigars that I'd prefer not to lose.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Holy poo poo I can't believe you smoked a whole 770. The 660 are already extremely powerful, and are likely to be fairly rare smokes for me. I saw a pack of the 770s on Cigar Bid and was genuinely amused that people would try to smoke something that beefy. That said, congratulations! Quite impressive, tbh.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh no! Hahahah. The 660 are good, but they're heavy. The perfectos though, they're perfectos! Not a solid 60 gauge the whole way through. I think that makes them much more approachable.

I smoked an AJ Fernandez Rosa de Guadalupe robusto tonight. It was a solid cigar, but I was hoping for a bit more. I like a San Andres wrapper, and some of the perfumey leather and spice came through, especially on spark up and around halfway. It was a totally respectable cigar, but the flavors didn't pop throughout, and it got a bit hot at the end, despite the excellent construction and draw. Pleasant smoke for sure, and worth exploring within the AJF line. It didn't help that for the last 20 minutes or so I was on edge, as a team of raccoons tried to invade my deck twice. I scared them off both times, but you never know with raccoons.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just finished my last Ave Maria Reconquista from the BP perfecto sampler. It's quite a nice cigar. Dry pull is loaded with chocolate and a bit of barnyard. Chocolate undertones are around the whole smoke, with other flavors that range from pepper, to leather, to root beer/licorice. I'm glad I picked up a few of the regular torpedo (7 x 54) from Cigar Bid for cheap. It's certainly not worth the MSRP, but it seems like you can get it for cheap fairly easily, and it's quite a relaxing long smoke if so. A perfect choice for sitting out on the deck for a couple hours.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've got some Leaf by Oscar Corojo lanceros and some Centurion H-2K-CT toros coming tomorrow and I can't decide which one I want to smoke first.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That thing has to weigh around a half pound. Do they sell a special stand to help you hold it while you smoke?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hahahah holy poo poo what does it cost?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Please keep us updated, that's loving hilarious.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I've only had the Corojo Toro by Oscar, but it remains one of my favorite cigars to this day. It was like sucking on an old leather baseball glove. If that sounds like your thing I'd go with the Oscar.

I smoked one of these lanceros tonight, and it was loving spectacular. Like you said, strong leather flavor was the bass note throughout, in a way that reminded me of old book bindings. The thing is, the cigar kept changing on me. There was some pepper to start out, then dusty leather, then some sweetness like brown sugar and molasses, then something like pine resin, then (I swear to god) just a hint of bubblegum, then some wet oak leaves. Really wonderful smoke, I cannot wait to have more of them. The burn was totally flawless, never wandered at all, and the draw was just a touch firm, which felt appropriate to the narrow ring gauge, and regulated the smoking heat perfectly. I think this is one of my new favorite cigars, honestly. Now I want to try the rest of the line (there's a Connecticut, a Sumatra, and a maduro). Plus, the raw tobacco leaf covering smells wonderful.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'll say, I suspect my buddies and I would be down to go in on some Cubans if you're ordering.

Also, I get the thing about having a bunch of cigars you no longer want to smoke. I've got some Gurkhas sitting around that I'm definitely not going to smoke, but I haven't had the heart to throw out. I think I do just need to ditch them though, there's no way I'm going to choose one of those over a Leaf or anything My Father, or Diesel or a Nub.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, TCC was a ridiculous place to send the cigar thread, moving it to A/T has dramatically improved things already, and I think we're much more likely to pick up new posters here.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ophidian posted:

I gave my bags of random cigars (it was a garbage bag full) to my cousin and uncle.

I can't think of anyone I'm ambivalent enough about to give some lovely cigars to, alas.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ugh, you really are the pied piper. I picked up a cab. I've been looking for a spicy petite corona to complement the Perdomo Champagne puritos we've been enjoying. I'm honestly pretty stoked about these.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

A cigar is like a built-in COVID barrier, I like it.

NewFatMike posted:

A deal on those is like $200, and it's Tatuaje + Garcias, so a good time is pretty much guaranteed!

Oh yeah, I'm definitely excited. The Garcias have never steered me wrong yet.

NewFatMike posted:

Any big plans for the weekend in thread? I'm finally going to replace a cast patio door handle after I cracked it a few weeks ago.

Lyon posted:

Anyone have cool plans for the long weekend? Having a small BBQ tomorrow gonna smoke a bunch of cigars I’m sure. Wish these drat CCs were getting here.

My dad is coming to visit this weekend. He lives in a small town in the foothills and has been pretty isolated and is going stir crazy. Luckily he has his van kitted out to be a fairly comfortable place to sleep, so we'll be able to spend the weekend sitting on the deck and going for a few walks, and mitigate a lot of the COVID anxieties. I've been introducing him to cigars, which he'd never smoked, so I imagine we'll spend a good amount of time sitting outside and bullshitting while having a few smokes. Should be a nice chill weekend.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

loving lol that's so much money. What are some sticks that people have smoked that they've felt are totally worth it at the like $40+ range?

Smoked a Romeo 505 toro tonight. My buddies tried it earlier in the week and were so-so on it, but I was really into it. Super spicy the whole way through, very chewy and meaty. Gonna see about trying it in the robusto too, since the toro was just a touch more cigar than I'd want on a lot of occasions, and I think the robusto would be perfect. Still a great smoke, looking forward to my next one.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Those are probably some extremely solid choices, that sounds great.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

What did each one run you? I have very little sense for retail prices on anything but a count brands, since basically all of my exploration has been online.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm gonna be honest, we've only been so-so on the H-2K-CT. I had my second one today (toro), and it was mild, a bit creamy with some cereal flavors, but didn't really grab me at any point. It's really weird, cause I was prepared to be super into it, but I feel like it fell pretty flat relative to my expectations.

This box is from Feb. 2020, so maybe they just need some time in the humidor? I dunno, what sort of flavors do you all pick up from them that I'm missing?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I was planning on buying a banner ad once Jeffery finally owns the place.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If your CA order hasn't consolidated yet, here are a couple things I've been looking at but probably won't be able to pick up this round:

DPG Original Exquisitos
La Aurora 107 Lancero
ROMEO 505 robustos
San Cristobal Revelation Mystics

On CI the Rocky Patel Vintage 2nds are back in stock. Thinking about grabbing a couple bundles of the petite corona 1990.

I've been waiting for the Flor de las Antillas toro and robusto boxes to come up for auction, but they keep getting pushed back. Lots of places are out of FdlA right now, so I assume they're basically just delaying them indefinitely. I'm hoping they are restocked again soon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

Got myself a Nording bent dublin from smokingpipes.com. I'm digging it, it looks great and is not too heavy...the bowl is pretty big so you can fill 'er up for long walks and such.

That pipe is super cool.

Lyon posted:

I just smoked a Leaf by Oscar Corojo and thought it was just okay. A lot of wood and some nuts. I’m still debating that LAdC box to get the sweet camo hat and ashtray...

What was the vitola? The Leaf by Oscar Corojo lancero is one of my favorite smokes at this point. I've been smoking them down to the absolute nub.

Had the Ave Maria Reconquista torpedo last night. This was the regular release, rather than the perfecto from the sampler. Heavy pepper and chocolate, smoked extremely well for the first half, then by the second have I was having a few combustion issues. It wasn't enough to ruin the cigar, just reduced the smoke output somewhat. Quite pleasant for a sometimes smoke when I want some peppery intensity.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lyon posted:

Had to be the Toro but they only have the one vitola so I didn't even look. It was fine just not exactly my cup of tea. Lot of wood and nuts, maybe some leather or earth. I loved the Leaf by Oscar Connecticut. I'll check out the Maduro next I think. Even though I no longer dislike Sumatra it still isn't my favorite wrapper. If I ever see the Corojo in the lancero I'll check it out.

I sort of want to smoke something else but i'm trying to cut down to four cigars a week.

Yeah, I've got a 20 pack of the Leaf Maduro coming in next week. Your description certainly sounds basically like what the lancero was like, so it might just not be your flavor profile. I'm looking forward to trying the Sumatra soon myself, since I really enjoyed the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 perfecto, which is a Sumatra wrapper. If nothing else, unwrapping a Leaf feels very cool, people like the raw tobacco leaf look.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Leap of faith! I've got several people in my cigar-buying syndicate at this point so I can afford to take some risks. So far I haven't utterly struck out so people still have faith in me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu No. 5 are back up on CA with 5 minutes to go. 50 cab for $135: https://www.cigarauctioneer.com/tatuaje-havana-vi-verocu-no.-5-cigars/item-33707?auctionnum=4458627

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I think if your first order is sufficiently large they require a call. My first order with them was a couple hundred bucks, but verifying it by phone was pretty painless and it shipped the next day.

Smoked a regular Flor de las Antillas toro this evening to celebrate the coming of the end of days. It had been a while, and it remains an excellent smoke. Amazing how not sweet it was, I feel like a lot of the other cigars I've had have some brown sugar or syrup or custard flavor somewhere in there, and this was just rangy barnyard, hay, leather, and spice. Really delightful smoke.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The smoke from the wildfires around here is so bad I can't go outside and smoke, but it's also stressing me out which makes me want to smoke even more.

Like Sisyphus I am bound to hell.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm moments away from taking an exacto-knife to my N95 mask, fitting a cigar in there, and sealing it with tape.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Punches are easily the best cut. I used to use V cuts more, but now I basically only want to punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I represent a cigar-buying syndicate that would likewise happily dump money into custom accessories.