Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Picked up an AF Opus X Lost City double robusto for my birthday. I've never had an Opus X so I'm quite excited to dig into it.

This thread has been a bad influence, I've picked up a number of recommendations, though I haven't had time to smoke them yet. I'm very much a fair weather smoker and I've got a toddler I don't care to smoke around so time is tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Congrats! Also sweet choice on smokes and drink

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Curivari have earned my love and a permanent spot in my humidor.

I usually go for spiced or spicy kinda heavy hitting smokes. These are more umami with deep flavor and varying complexity. In a very similar lane with Padron.

I'm having another Cafe Noir 54, had a Buenaventura over breakfast, and a Don Leon last night, so these comments are kinda spread over the marca at large.

I think there's a temptation to describe these as "uninteresting" or bland only because I'm not getting anything jumping out and grabbing you by the nose to notice it. These are very deep, well rounded smokes that wan you to be interested in it.

Yeah, Cafe Noir specifically is a great line, loved all 3 that I ordered, mentioned earlier.

This is accessible, complex, and inexpensive. A super rare combination, and I think it's really going to help me extra appreciate my usual spicier smokes. But the complexity goes as far as you're willing to investigate.

On a finishing note, the draw is fantastic. Marcas that focus on the draw in particular always pull me in. Padron and Hamlet are two marcas that stand out in that regard (if you know any others holler!). If you have a perfect draw every single time, I'll not have negative things to say about your brand. It shows that you respect the customer's time and expectations.

You are a terrible influence and I've got a box of Cafť Noir 54's on the way. Thank you

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

I'm using an Ammodor right now I built a year or so ago, but it has fairly limited capacity. Can someone give me a quick rundown on a tupperdor for longer term storage?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

No (public) indoor smoking in my state. There are a couple private clubs but they are pretty exclusive. I put on a coat, fire up a heater and hang out in the brewhouse/woodshop next to my house.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Lyon posted:

First order of cubans arrived, Montecristo No. 2 and No. 4. I smoked a 2 immediately because I have no chill. Started off with tangy pepper, the middle was graham crackery, and the end is more nutty. A very good cigar, reminds me a lot of the DPG Black maybe if I had to compare it to a domestic.

Where from? Did you go singles/sampler or whole box? How long did they take to arrive?

I'm looking into placing my first international order and just looking for feedback. NFM gave me some awesome tips but I'm eager to hear from a Habana newbie as well

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Ok sold. Built a small order from FoH to get me a couple staples I see listed here. PLPC and RASS. I hope to ring out 2020 with some kind of style

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Ophidian posted:

Iíve had two shipments from them. One took 6 weeks the other took over a year.

E: Iíll never order from them again.

That's not the ringing endorsement I'd seen earlier. Oh well, if I get anxious I'll order elsewhere and have a pleasant surprise several months

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

I am a weak man and ordered a box of H Upmann Regalias from iHavanas. I'm gonna have to get that secondary humidor seasoned up

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

NFM no apologies necessary. FOH had the shipping delays clearly spelled out, I just missed it in my excitement to order quickly.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kenning posted:

The smoke from the wildfires around here is so bad I can't go outside and smoke, but it's also stressing me out which makes me want to smoke even more.

Like Sisyphus I am bound to hell.

I was going to post something very similar. Something about the air quality being too hazardous to go outside to smoke

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Lyon posted:

Iím in for thread made cigar accessories, punches, cigar holders, ashtrays, whatever you folks can cook up more or less.

I second that motion

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

The order from FoH that could have been delayed for weeks has been shipped 5 days after the order. And our air is now worse, we didn't get any rain or wind over the weekend so I'm stuck inside for at least another week

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Lyon posted:

Iím trying the porktree patented electric blanket for when it gets really cold I think. If that isnít enough Iíll probably go with a propane heater.

I should have a box of RASS and some other assorted goodies tomorrow, hopefully, so I havenít been smoking as much. Speaking of, RASS are on special at iHavanas for $195. Looks like they are $150 in Cuba and I have no idea if better deals pop up throughout the year.

I had a Nestor Miranda Connecticut at some point which was fine but nothing too exciting.

I saw that on the RASS but I'm trying to hold off on actually tasting one before I buy a box. drat if it isn't tempting though. I saw FoH had PLPC's quarter box deal going for their 24:24 that if I didn't have a couple on the way already I'd have jumped on.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Stopped by the B&M today, Fonsecas still aren't in, so I got myself a little consolation prize for my vacation:

So delicious. I had forgotten how extreme some lanceros can be (and also Tatuaje brands are generally stronger than what I've been having lately).

It's got that same grainy feel on the wrapper as Padron Maduro Thousands have.

The latest CA wins are in - there was a hole in the cellophane on the box of the La Aurora Platinum Coronas, so they may need to sit for a while.

I think those Oliva Serie V coronas are ready to go right off the truck. Really gorgeous, smell fantastic, and I'm really thinking about splurging on a box of the lanceros next month.

We also snagged the tarp and some clamps on the way home today, so tomorrow will be the test build of the porch enclosure!

My humidor hates you. My wallet hates you. My wife hates you. I love you.

Gonna have to stay off CA for a minute, but the air is finally clear enough to go back outside for a smoke and make room for new acquisitions. Happy smoking all!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Been working my way through a couple different Oliva's lately and was reminded how much I enjoy their product. The Series G torpedo was like meeting with an old friend, the 3yr Master Blend was nice and peppery with assorted spices, smooth all the way through and finished I want to say in earth and leather. I'm bad at tasting notes but thats how I remember it.

Looking forward to trying out a couple packs of these La Aurora preferido's NFM's been going on about, should see them later this week just in time for the rains to start.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Received my regalias in from iHavana's today. Order placed on the 9th

July 19 datecode. I am excite.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

RASCC and PLPC on flash sale today for those interested

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

goblox posted:

My local b&m store had a box of these available that I decided to split with some friends. These LFD bulls are easily one of my top 10 favorite cigars. Tons of leathery smoke that is fantastic.

I picked this up because it was recommended here. Not an everyday cigar for me, however, the amount of creaminess of this natural egg was a surprise. I was able to smoke it a good bit past the middle before it kind of turned into a big mess.

Those LFD Bulls are fantastic. My B&M usually has a limit of 1 per customer, everytime we hit it up my father and I snag one. Such a treat

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone have a favorite punch? I've got a couple combo lighter/punches but looking for a dedicated unit

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

I'm interested but have never done a box pass. How do they work?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Leaf by Oscar Connecticut was very very nice. RyJ short Churchill probably needs another year, though if I recall it had a pleasant earthiness to it. My taste buds need more practice

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Got married yesterday and it was super great. Had my last Hors D'Age for the foreseeable. Really fantastic salty sea air permeating through the entire smoke. Largely trending sweet to cream to spice. Truly fabulous.

I'm really enjoying pipe smoking and cigar smoking as complementary hobbies. Pipes are great for day to day and are a really inexpensive hobby. It really lets me enjoy the cigars I do purchase so much more. I get less palate burnout with all the variety.

Found a couple of really great aromatic tobaccos, and I'm picking up my first filtered pipe. I've got a few fantastic flavors that bite a bit, and I'm looking forward to trying them with that extra interface to help cool them down.

We're also house hunting! Put in an offer on a place on Thursday, hopefully we'll hear back on Monday!

Happy Halloween and stay safe and spooky!

Congrats NFM! And to add a house at the same time is bold, that's a lot on your plate

Had to do some waterproofing on the shop out back, if it holds I'll be moving a couple recliners and taking heated throws with us for wintertime smokes.

Still waiting on my FoH order, have had two iHavana orders show up and a 3rd due next week.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Had a My Father Fonseca gordo robusto that delivered. I'd had one straight from the shop before and felt a couple months in the humidor really helped. Warm and spicy from the first puff. Found some candy sweet in it around the second 3rd. Just a really pleasant smoke that was also covered in a gorgeous wrapper. I'll pick up more of those when I get a chance.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Someone doesn't want me to get any RASS. my ihavanas order was lost and a FoH order just had to be re-shipped.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

ThatOneGuy posted:

I have similar feelings.

What Boli's do you folks like? I've got a credit for a missing box of RASS and need to spend it on something

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Took a minute to brave the cold and burned down my first PLPC. That was a very pleasant smoke and I see why it's highly recommended. I may have to find a box of those next time I'm buying

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Humidor is at capacity and bank account is sad so I won't be ordering a cab just yet. I do have a box of the Bolivar PC's on the way though

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kenning posted:

That said, a few days ago I tried another MF El Centurion H-2k-CT. It was much better than I remember it, and I suspect that having it sit around in the humidor for 6 months really helped. This one had lots of white chocolate and toasted grains, and was pretty fun to smoke. It's still probably not at the top of my list to reach for, but I would happily take another one if it smokes like that.

I didn't think much of the H2K fresh from my local smoke shop, but after letting them rest for a couple months I found them good enough to order a box when they popped up on sale. I know they are a NFM favorite

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Fighting the urge to order Cazadores from ihav as well. I may get my father to order and split since he owes me for some petit churchills earlier this year.

I've been really enjoying the Oscar by Leaf Connecticut. I ordered a 20pk of their coroja as well since they seem well regarded and relatively affordable.

Been working on getting my shop setup as a smoking lounge with an old recliner we were gonna toss. Its an unheated shop but a heated throw does a pretty nice job of keeping it comfy. Just added a wifi extender too so I can run zoom meetings and smoke.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

ihavanas has been reliable for me. Lost a box and they were quick to credit for it. I thought I saw earlier the RyJ Cazadores were good to go fresh

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Had to try the Bolivar PC for National Cigar day. Happy smoking buds!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

It was really quite nice. I had a cuba libre with it while my kid was napping

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Lyon posted:

Just in time for the March specials! Theyíve got a great deal on Partagas Shorts and Iím eyeing up those RyJ Cazadores.

They also have boxes of RASS available again.

I'm out of humidor space and disposable income to throw at boxes, what poo poo timing

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

I picked up a 5 pack of those nasty fritas a while ago and only had one so far. Gonna have to sneak one out soon for lunch if the weather plays nice this week. It was a fun little smoke

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Ophidian posted:

If anyone is looking to split boxes of CCs let me know I got some scratch burning a hole in my pocket.

I'd get in on some RyJ Cazadores as well if folks wanted to split it 3 or 4 ways

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Snuck out for my first lunch cigar of the year. Had to give the Nasty Fritas another try and it did not disappoint. CA has been a bad influence on my but I keep getting outbid on those RoS

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

I'm not great at notes and this was smoked while on a walk so I was somewhat distracted. That said here goes: Nice construction, fun shape, easy draw, moderate smoke. Early notes of dark chocolate, generous spice. The flavors mellowed out pretty quick but by that time I was moving and dodging traffic so I can't bring back specific flavors. I'd say the smoke lasted a nice 35 minutes or so, just enough to soak in some early spring sun. Surprisingly nicotine heavy, though I had it before lunch so my blood sugar was probably a little low anyhow.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Thank you! I can't wait to get one properly milled out. Gonna have to find thin green felt by the yard to line the bottom with.

I'll take walnut with maple accent line please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

I was just joshing ya. Those are looking great!