Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

My favorite morning smoke has turned into the Davidoff Winston Churchills that come in tins. They're pricey, but on a Saturday morning with some coffee. Perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The stand looks great! I'd love to get in on the discord, but I had to uninstall it. I was spending too much time there. :negative:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

What kind of temp/hygrometer is that? I have a small Xikar one I'm looking to replace.

Also, I am very jealous happy for you!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kenning posted:

That's a Govee hygrometer/thermometer I got from Amazon. It logs temp and RH and syncs with an app via Bluetooth. I've found it very handy for tracking my RH over time.

Thank you!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Just an FYI, those table top lighters are awesome, but make sure it's tight when you turn it off. It'll leak butane and dry up quick if you don't. I wasted a bunch of butane on that thing, heh.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

For what it's worth, I switched to the large 62 bovedas, and found most of my sticks far dryer than I would like. I'd do a single large one in a small cooler / tupperdor before I did it to my whole stash.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The 1926 Natural #9 is the best Padron, but yeah, they're all good.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Not sure I've had the 47 Maduro, but I'm willing to give it a try!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lakelands taste the like potpourri / powder my grandmother had in her bathroom.

Best of luck in your endeavors. :barf:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Sunk Dunk posted:

the only thing that has stopped me from starting to smoke pipe tobacco is that washington state won't let me get it shipped to my house. god i am so lazy

YouTube guy StuffandThings lives in WA and is regularly smoking a pipe. If I recall correctly there are online retailers who just ignore WA and ship it anyways. Bit of a pain either way, but I think you can get it anyhow.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Has anyone here tried the Dunbarton Stillwell Star line? I sort of want to try one of each of them, but also curious if it's just a novelty. Saka is pretty serious about his tobacco, but at the same time I don't want to buy a bunch of gimmick sticks...

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

ComradePyro posted:

Any recommendations for somewhere closer to Florida/less chuddy that I can buy from? I'd also love some recommendations on cheap entry-level stuff to try, I don't really know what I like but I'm down to buy a few dozen kinds to find out.

Small Batch Cigar is in CA, but will have your sticks to you in a few days every time. It's the only place I really order from anymore (I'm in OH). You'll get two emails a day from them running specials. I've quoted yesterdays emails so you can see what your in for.

quote:

AJ Fernandez and Oliva are now 30% off!

AJ Fernandez
Oliva

CODE: AJO = 30% off plus 5% reward points on AJ Fernandez/Oliva for orders $100 or more.

NUB now 45% off!

NUB
Code: NUB = 45% off plus 5% reward points on NUB

Please log in before using code
SakaKhan is on its way to Small Batch next week. Also heads up, starting tomorrow, we will begin pre-selling the Dunbarton SakaKhan. More details will be available tomorrow.

quote:

Dunbarton SakaKhann preorders are now live!

SakaKhan

The SakaKhans are enroute to Small Batch and scheduled to land on the 31st. From there, we will start fulfilling orders.

The Mi Querida SakaKhan is a 7 1/4 x 54 Churchill extra. It will use a Connecticut broadleaf No.1 dark wrapper over a Mexican San Andrés negro binder and fillers from the Dominican Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua. Production is handled at Nicaragua American Cigars S.A. in Estelí, Nicaragua.

Dunbarton SakaKhan Preorder
Sunday Special!

Good morning! Today we have one special on thirty six categories with a minimum for the second tier.

20 Acre Farn
AJ Fernandez
Herrera Esteli Norteno
Herrera Esteli Brazilian Maduro
Joya Red
Joya Antano 1970
Drew Estate (Freestyle Live is not included)
Undercrown Shade
Undercrown Sungrown
Acid
Aging Room
Crux
Oliva
CAO
Rocky Patel
Regius
HVC
Partagas
Graycliff
La Aurora
La Gloria Cubana
Montecristo
Romeo y Julieta
Punch
Perdomo
H. Upmann
Saint Luis Rey
Macanudo
Henry Clay
Gispert
Fratello
Miami Cigar Company
Trinidad
Casa Cuevas
Stallone Cigar Company
Forged Cigar Company

CODE: 25OFF = 25% off plus 5% reward points on the categories above with no minimum

CODE: 35OFF = 35% off plus 5% reward points on the categories above for orders $150 or more
Please log in before using code
CODES ARE NOT RETRO ACTIVE AND CAN NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER. PLEASE LOG IN BEFORE TRYING TO PURCHASE. CODES MAY HAVE MINIMUMS AND STANDARD RESTRICTIONS APPLY. CODE WILL EXPIRE 08/29/22 AT 11:59 PM PST.

I've also heard great things about Fox Cigars, but I've never ordered from them myself.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

I’ve also been stocking up for a few weeks in Vegas where I’ll be competing on BattleBots again.
Wait what!? I love that show! If you don't mind saying which team / bot is yours?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I've reinstalled discord, you got a link?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Anyone know someone who has suffered from or died from oral cavity related cancers from pipe smoking?

To answer your question I do not.

Anecdotally, the Surgeon General (in 1996 Iif I recall) found that pipe smokers live 2 years longer than nonsmokers. They don't print that on on the warning label though! Haha

Smoking comes with risks, you do you.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm not answering the question that was asked but HDM Epi No. 2s have been the most baking spice cigar I've ever had. Loved em.

I don't smoke my pipes enough to justify buying another, but Falcon's seem rad.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm in the U.S., but I'll try to give you as much help as I can... Here's a whole lot of words.

Being that you're in the UK, I believe that you'll mostly have access to cigars from Cuba (My understanding is that U.S. based cigars are harder to come by and even higher priced in the UK?). Most Cuban cigars in my experience aren't as strong as tobacco from other regions of the world (I believe this is mostly due to the type of tobacco and how they're blended).

Firstly, I'd google and see if there are any cigar / tobacco shops near you. It can be intimidating asking someone in person, but any reputable shop should be happy to run you through the basics and help you pick out a few sticks, as well as show you how to cut and light them (you can youtube this too).

If you just want to walk in and buy something without talking to someone, I'd recommend the following:

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No. 2 - Creamy with lots of baking spices
Cohiba Robusto - Very creamy and grassy / hay-like. Touch of sweetness
Ramon Allones Specially Selected - Tobacco, wood, and some meatiness, zero sweetness.
Bolivar Royal Corona - Earthy and salty. Stronger than the other 3

Each of those are all Robustos (5" x 125mm), which I would consider the size of a "standard" cigar. You're smoking time would be roughly 45 - 75 minutes depending on how fast you smoke. They would also help you direct yourself to different flavor profiles to see what you might prefer.

As far as what you need aside from time is a way to cut the cigar and a way to light it on fire. The cigar shop can probably cut all of them for you ahead of time (and give you a bad and humidification device). They might have a cheap cutter for you to buy, but I'd hold off until you decide you like it. If you do decide to cut the cigars yourself you'll need to pay attention to how it's constructed.

In the picture above you'll notice the head and the cap along with the cut here indicator. Cigars are "capped" with pieces of tobacco leaves to keep them from unrolling. The important thing to note is to not cut the cigar past the cap or it'll start to unravel on you.

You can light a cigar with anything that'll catch it on fire, but typically you want a butane torch. Matches work just fine provided you have the patience for it. For your first few cigars you could get by with a BIC lighter if that's all you really had (some people would turn their nose up to this suggestion, ymmv).

At this point you can just go ahead and enjoy, but I'll leave you with some bullet points of misc info.

- Cigars are meant to be tasted, not inhaled into your lungs. Draw the smoke into your mouth, but do not inhale or you'll give yourself a very spicy coughing fit.
- Cigars contain nicotine. Nicotine lowers your blood sugar. If you feel queasy while smoking it's because your blood sugar is falling. Stop smoking and go eat something sugary to get rid of this. Letting a teaspoon of granulated sugar dissolve under your tongue is a quick fix.
- Excessive salivating / the need to spit is the first sign you're going be queasy in my experience. If you find your mouth watering a lot go get some thing sugary before you get queasy.
- A hearty meal before smoking a cigar will greatly help prevent the queasiness as well.
- The more you smoke the more you'll build up a tolerance for nicotine, and it's effects become less of a concern. It gets cold here so I only have a few sticks over the winter. Come spring I have to ease back into stronger cigars.
- I'm no Dr., but empirical evidence suggests occasional cigar smoking has minimal negative effects on your health. If you wind up smoking more than 2 or 3 sticks a week your risk factors are going to increase.
- Lots of people drink while smoking cigars. Some of those drinks are alcohol. Alcohol removes the mucus membrane in your mouth temporarily, meaning your risk factors for mouth cancers are going to increase. I personally don't mix cigars with my alcohol for this reason, but again, empirical data and all that...ymmv.
- If you like soda, root beer and cream soda pairs exceptionally well with cigars. This will also help you stave off the low blood sugar while smoking. Coffee and water are solid choices too. I have no idea about tea...(assuming you drink tea because your in the UK...)

TL;DR
Buy one of the cigars listed above, cut open the round end, light the flat open end on fire, don't inhale. Enjoy!

E:fixed the sizing.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 20, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

E: a robusto is 50rg X 125mm not 50mm :v:

Aww, poo poo. Doh! I'm going to blame it being almost midnight here. I should be in bed. :v:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

No lie, my stomach dropped when I saw that. Bummed for you man. That being said, it's like when I scratch one of my watches. Just chalk it up to character / patina, and keep on keepin' on.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

StuffandThing and MuttonchopPiper are the only two I bother watching. I really liked GAPiper too, but his channel seems to have gone kaput at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

drat, you're doing great if you've got a handle after 8-10 bowls. Getting a solid smoke without having to relight 20 times a bowl took forever. I've been smoking so infrequently these past few years (hurrah for kids!) that I'll probably have to start all over when I pick up a pipe again.

As a cigar guy, I really really liked Billy Budd. I was on Englishes for a while, but mostly settled on VaPers. Give those a try too some time if you like spicy stone-fruit!