Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

So glad I found this thread. My friend and fellow goon Nexein and I got really into cigars during the pandemic last year.

Reporting in as the other half of this cigar goon duo; smokin an H. Uppman in a shack with a jet heater in it because while I long for the sun, the draw of a good stick is too strong.

Also just getting into pipes so definitely in for related recommendations and info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

That Rose was absolutely a trip; initially we were laughing about how Phil Kohn gave it an actual 100 rating on the lancero, but if we had some better conditions and construction was a little bit better, it certainly could've been up there. I don't think we actually stopped talking about different flavors for like, 90 minutes of it? When that strawberry note came through I actually thought I was fooling myself somehow. Overall, yeah big recc, buy a bottle of that Suntory too, it owns.

I think we're getting another several inches of snow on Valentine's day on top of the foot and a half or so we got lately, so some romantic shoveling is in my future, I guess.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

I'm definitely pretty blunt when it comes to tasting notes unless it's such a good smoke that I end up waxing poetic; I like the *idea* of notes connecting to memories in my head but if I taste a char I'm not gonna say "it's grilled cheese" because that's what it connects to for me.

Thinking about braving the cold for one of these Antillas belicoso that just came in and haven't actually touched one of our humidors yet. I am fully accepting the possible consequences and disregarding them :colbert:

E: It's actually a sin how well this is going for literally coming out of the mail, from it's box, into my drybox and now being smoked in a 15 degree shed with a blast furnace running next to me. This is a lesson on how I will never be punished for my hubris.

Nexein fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 12, 2021

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

The trick to not getting beetles is smoking every single cigar you buy as soon as they get in your grubby little hands.

Got a Caldwell Midnight Express on my mind for later, first one I smoked was like a mocha in the first half and then a cinnamon bomb in the latter half so I'm hoping to pick up some different notes this time!

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

It's 45 degrees in New England today, which is basically shorts weather, so I've upgraded from 'shack smoking' to 'halfway out the door' smoking. Summer better hurry the gently caress up.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

I normally like smaller smokes but of the vitolas we've had, (toro and robusto and now this) it's already my favorite I think. These are definitely still too fresh but I can't keep my paws off em.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Kenning posted:

Yeah, it's an important moment when you just chuck cigars. My buddies and I did that with all the discounted Gurkhas we bought while starting out and it felt amazing. Gurkhas: not even once.

Gramps bought a J Fuego Judge sampler that came with a xikar cutter when we started; thank god the cutter was good because I don't think I smoked a single good cigar from it *and* I still have one sitting in the bottom of my humidor.
e: I know it's not a Gurkha but the point is it's probably time to let it go.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Hey it's me, just continuing to smoke these belicoso flor de las antillas despite saying over and over i want more time on them but goddamn do they rule, and I have zero self control, so.

e for actual content: it's time for torch talk, what're you guys using? We've got these three flame xikar tactical torches which have been great but my adjustment screw keeps falling off and the set screw is stripped so hit me with some reccs

Nexein fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 23, 2021

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Re: the alma fuerte, it was okay I guess but if I had to summarize it, I don't think I've ever been so disappointed by such an expensive cigar. It was like...smooth and nice and produced really well but it hardly even really tasted like anything. When I did get some notes it was definitely nice, some really s'morsey, earthy, slightly spicy stuff but most of it was like hitting an Unflavored vape. The burn also sucked for the latter half, which was surprising for how good the first half went.

I guess that seems kinda harsh but I think a smoke that costs $20 should be under some more scrutiny. :colbert:

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Forgive the gross claws but I'm pairing a 1999 Patel Connecticut with an adorable little dram of Blue Label that I actually got as a Festivus gift from ol Gramps! I'm certainly enjoying both but I'm not super sure why so many people hail this Blue as the be all end all, it's definitely good but I'm not sure about 200 bones a bottle good...

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Dramatika posted:

As I understand it, it's similar to how this thread has described Davidoffs - competent but not worth the money.

The funniest thing is I was looking for reccs of what to pair with it and every single blog said "pair it with xyz Davidoff". *fart noises*

Also that Bijou has consistently been my personal favorite in every vitola I've had it in, but the rose of Sharon comes close and we have the illustrious Lanceros inbound pretty soon...

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

NewFatMike posted:

And in the process of looking for the auction, I have found your handle. PREPARE FOR DOXXING! WITH THIS INFORMATION I SHALL DISCOVER YOUR FAVORITE BARGAINS

Doxxing my friends and making them thing they have a stalker when in reality I'm just trying to buy them thoughtful gifts 🥺

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Did some Uhhhh late night impulse damage last night; picked up some Mike-reccomended H-2K-CTs, as well as perennial favorite MF Le Bijou, and uhhh some RoMa Intemperance Lanceros....and some Pettit Illusione Epernays

Oh and some less fancy but still favorite Aroma de Cuba Bellicoso and Alex Bradley tempus Genesis because I love me some skinny boys. Haul pics and trip reports when they come in, for sure!

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

:hmmyes:

I am genuinely concerned for our combined humidor space; the logistics aren't adding up for the lessened winter smoking but it has stopped neither of us

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

Sweet. Between Nexein and myself we're gonna be in for several of those jammers once you have em ready to rock.

The misses still has some in the works here too don't forget

Today's degeneracy post brought to you by cigar page's incredibly fast turnaround time

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

I am entirely incorrigible when it comes to fresh outta the mail sticks but this one still rocks somehow, it seems to be not quite as butterscotchy as the larger one but it's still just a killer creamy cedar that's Goin great with my coffee

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Double posting call the cops

While it's burning and cracking a little too ugly to show a picture of, I'm ripping a mail-fresh h-2k-ct centurion this morning and it rocks. It definitely needs more time to get to its full potential, but I'm rounding the lower band right now and it's giving me a lot of candy bar type stuff; caramel, chocolate, nougat, coffee, and a citrus note that I'm mostly noticing on the nose and retro. My main complaint other than the forgivable construction on this one is that it doesn't have that My Father spice like I love on the antillas/bijou/judge, but so far I haven't run into a single MF that hasn't immediately made it into my top 10, I don't think.

Excited to somehow forget about these for a bit until they stabilize and I can jump back into another.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

gently caress I miss outside-beers, it's...20 and windy outside today

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

I'm actually being held captive here he's smoking two cigars to keep up the illusion send help

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Don't threaten me with a good time.

On topic, the Mil Dias was pretty stinkin' good; I had my share of little knots and production issues but overall, it traveled the gamut from being woody and spicy, ramping up the creaminess until the last third or so was pretty reminiscent of horchata. Overall it was pretty solid and if mine was less of a dick most of the way through it would've been even better.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

Ladies and gentlegoons, My Father Le Bijou. That is all.

:hmmyes:

ritorix posted:

Finally got a warm day, enjoying a nice lonsdale Norteño. Its good to be back.

Nice day squad; catch me smoking my second and thinking about a third

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

I had a grand robusto bijou, then a petite Corona charter oak maduro, and I'm on a short robusto AJ last call right now; the kicker is I'm in the middle of a fast and I'm realizing how not good of an idea this was

Something, something, Cigar Icarus

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

NewFatMike posted:

Are those the Geniales Last Calls?

I'd have to defer to Gramps; they're the shorties but I'm not sure about the ring gauge. Maduro though, not the habano

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

It is :siren: 60 degrees out :siren: in New England so I will absolutely be ripping cigars and trying to get tanned in a single day, starting with a centurion that definitely still needs more time.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

So what you're saying is it is right to smoke everything immediately :hmmyes:

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

DerekSmartymans posted:

On the Town and Cellar are my favorites aside from my 15 year old/new Sherlock’s Choice from my local Tinderbox. I’ve been smoking three times or more a week in the same chair for 16 years now (pre-COVID-19, ofc), and the owner lady is a Goddamn goddess when it comes to sourcing older discontinued or rarer pipe tobacco. Her network is huge because we live in the FedEx national Hub and HQ. She kept me in Dunhill Early Morning Pipe while it disappeared, always at cost + a dram of whatever Scotch in the behind the counter was mine (me and about 7 other regulars brought real quality outstanding Scotch, Bourbon, and rum to go with smokes). She is young, blond, and has a Master’s of Divinity, and we had the exact same taste in everything, so she knew if I liked it enough to share she would like it, too. Anyway she emails me when any FM filters down from Heaven. Still drinks an oz or two of my whiskey as well, even at 10:00 in the morning. On Sunday.

This is a story I just wanna live in

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

It took me way too long to realize that actually wasn't an incredibly poorly designed coffee mug

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

It's a balmy 70 here so I'm fighting 20+ mph winds, AND trying to play Monster Hunter, and this stupid little no name habano is performing way better than it has any right to; spicy and creamy and nutty in all the right ways. One of cigarpage's overrun bundle sticks we bought, I dunno maybe six months ago?

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

NewFatMike posted:

I've grabbed a pair of My Father Le Bijou torpedoes for my spouse and myself, thanks thread!

E: that Le Bijou was fabulous! Really great tangerine, floral, and perfume flavored without any acridness. Super duper smoking those more often.

Every time my bijou recc sticks I feel a little more validated. That Buenaventura looks hot too, enjoy!

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

At the tail end of a Flor de las Antillas because it's mid 50s and sunny today, went in to get more coffee and pick up an Alec Bradley tempus because a double header in the sun today sounds too good. I don't have a problem

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Haven't had those particular Camachos yet but Camachos, as a rule, own.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

Went a little ham on cigarbid freefalls yesterday. Got some Perez Carillo E-III, Oliva Melanio Maduro figurados, a full box of Rose of Sharon toros, and a Camacho Sampler. Hyped.

Now I gotta figure out some fancy boy sticks I can get locally for my 40th birthday coming up

This order, and my secondary head of this degenerate, two-headed ogre of an order showed up today, so your boys are about to party.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

Giving the Tabernacle Havana seed #142 another rip. These are double Coronas so they're gigantic. Nexein and I had weird burn issues with the first ones we smoked from this batch. This one seems to be going a lot better. Impossibly toothy wrapper, and a very rich flavorful smoke. These are awesome if you can find em.

This was a lovely way to waste like $20 but I'm glad the rest is better, hopefully.

Also hi thread it's been a minute, I smoked a my father no 1 on the way home and now I'm smoking a tatuaje black on the porch because I'm a degenerate, hope yall are well.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Dramatika posted:

I smoked a Tabernacle Corona the other day and it’s one of the best cigars I’ve smoked.

I have a My Father #1 and a EP Carrillo Pledge dry boxing at the moment - torn on which gets smoked tonight

We haven't had the pledge yet but we just got the La historias and they ruled. It's impossible for me to turn down a MF though and the #1 is making a serious contender for my top, even with how much I love the bijou.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

I wasn't going to have a cigar today, but it's 70 out and I still have several Rose of Sharon. I'm glad I changed my mind.

Same except for the part where I wasn't going to have a cigar

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

Nexein and I just made a run to the forbidden humidor and scored some Liga t52 piggies and some game of thrones lagavulin 9 for hella cheap. Drinkin a little la fin du monde as well. We livin', boys

Confirming that this fuckin rules

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Winding down with a no 1 after my second day at a new, kickass job; hope everyone else is also havin' a swell week.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

NewFatMike posted:

I also have signed up for the Atlantic Cigar VIP pricing, and I'm gonna say it now: looks worth it.

I might look into this; Gramps and I are at the point in our cigar-learning-journey that we're pinpointing the expensive poo poo we like instead of buying samplers and hoping for the best. I bet we can get value out of it between the two of us for sure :hmmyes:

e: is there a way to change membership that I'm not seeing? I'm on mobile but it doesn't seem obvious

ee: just kidding I see it at the bottom

Nexein fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 15, 2021

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

I ended up buying in (to Atlantic) this morning based on that box of Fonseca alone; makes up for the membership but I need more degeneracy to hit free shipping...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

I have so much pipe tobacco but did that stop me from buying a box of Fonsecas, and a fistful of Aladinos, Tatuajes and southern draws from atlantic?

No.