Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Any snuff takers itt?

I had some, iirc, apricot snuff many years ago that I quite enjoyed, but never got into it.

25 ish years later, I remembered snuff and bought loads. It's been a sniffly but awesome week 😀Trying to gauge interest, might it be worth another thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Dramatika posted:

Never really had the urge to try snuff to be honest - I have enough allergy issues as is without putting stuff in my nose, and it's not so much the nicotine I like about cigars as it is the whole ritual of going outside, away from most my electronics and other stuff for an hour and a half, and savoring it.

To each their own though :)

I feel you, I have a pipe for that, but I do enjoy the sensation and olfactory overload of a good pinch, especially when it's cold/raining out or I don't have time.

Snuff is also super cheap in my country, so I can try tons of different blends for the same price as a couple of ounces of pipe tobacco.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Is this also the thread for other types of tobacco? I've never really been much into smoking, but I recently tried out some snuff (powdered tobacco that you inhale nasally) and I've found I really like it. I never would've thought that raw tobacco can smell so much like coffee or dark chocolate even without any artificial aromatization.

I asked about snuff a while ago, but got no takers. Think it's just me and you with the brown boogers

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, here's to the booger alliance, then. Anything you particularly like? I've been buying my way though the local tobacco stores and one my favourites so far is McChrystals Original. It's a fairly simple menthol snuff, but the undertones of camphor and eucalyptus make it really pleasant to me. Not aggressive in the nose, but it really clears your sinuses.
McChrystals O&G is nice, my current favourites are Wilson's of Sharrow crumbs of comfort, spear and plain. Dr rumneys green is the nicest I've tried recently, menthol and aniseed, but doesn't blow your head off with it like some (looking at you M. Root). Might try some Indian snuffs next, I've only had the 6 photo Mysore sandalwood which is a bit overpowering.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

If you like menthol and aniseed, the Pöschl Löwenprise might be something for you. It's one of my favourite brands of theirs. Spicy, but not aggressively so. It's a smooth and long-lasting aniseed flavour.

I haven't tried Indian snuffs yet. I could get some Dholakia here fairly cheap, but the aromatizations offered all seem fairly boring.

Yea, Löwenprise is great, if a tad more coarse than I prefer.

Pipewise, I'm trying some brown twist aniseed. Strong stuff but I've just eaten and I have a huge tolerance. It's great. Stout and old fashioned, but tasty. Bit of a pain to prepare but unlikely to smoke it regularly so no problem really.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Iacen posted:

Any UK goons here?
I am wondering if there is a good and reasonable online retailer they can recommend in terms of price and assortment?
I have just bought a house with a garden, and looking forward to sitting outside during summer and having a quiet smoke.

Never used them for cigars but mysmokingshop.co.uk have been great for pipe tobacco and snuff, very quick delivery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Glad you like the semois - figured it'd be up the alley of a cigar-smoker. It is wild how dry it is and how quick it burns, makes for a nice quick smoke when needed. Cool story behind it too, still made using machinery from the 19th century.

Smoking a bowl of Gawith Hoggarth Brown Flake Aromatic tonight. drat do I dig the Lakeland flavouring, it's like a super pleasant floral or rosewater style aroma to it. Shame I can't find anything else for sale anywhere, my usual spots (4noggins, Smoking Pipes, Tobacco Pipes) never have it in stock - seems like from chatter online Gawith Hoggarth basically only comes stateside once a year. I do have a tin of St Bruno Flake I need to pop open and give a try sometime soon though.

If you like the rosewater aspect, try Grasmere flake if you can