Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That’s the Goat Cigar stand! Doctor Medic designed them and does occasional runs for the discord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ENNERDALE IS INCREDIBLE

I cannot wait to try the rest of them.

E: WØ Larsen whips. It smells aromatic - like chocolate and maple, but maybe that’s just a little topping? Maybe not. But if it’s excellent.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 20, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’s very perfumey so if you’ve got a spare pipe try it in that

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I tried some St. Bruno and G&H Rum Flake today, and they are just OK. Ennerdale is exquisite and St. Bruno is substantially lighter on the Lakeland topping. It's kinda damp here today, so they may not be able to dry out no matter how long I leave them out. I think the tongue bite was overriding whatever topping I was getting out of Bruno.

Ennerdale is still so good. Strong contender for my favorite - I'm already trying to find the 500g version. I'm really loving weird flavors what with Semois being a high performer in my book as well.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Probably passing this round - keeping a tight lid on extra spending until the belated wedding reception is over in May :(

Other news: I had my first Padron 3000 natural yesterday and that was great. I’m not sure I’ll like it more than the maduro but that’s why I have a maduro ready to smoke this morning!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Can’t say I’ve heard of them! Count me in as interested in a trip report

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you very much for that heads up, I’m antsy to buy a 500g bag of Ennerdale

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah they have the clean and cure I’m almost out of too. Hands down one of my favorite places to buy tobacco.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've got some cigars on the way (LAdC Rothschild, AVO Syncro Nicaragua, Nub Ct 460), but the things I'm *super* psyched about are definitely the pipe tobaccos I have coming.

Continuing my Lakeland love affair, I have G.L. Pease Stonehenge arriving tomorrow. I adore Ennerdale, and St. Bruno is a little light on the topping, but I still need to give it a few more bowls to really form an opinion on it. A friend accidentally smashed my jar of Savinelli Doblone d'Oro, so I have a fresh tin on the way and Royal Yacht is just going to be something I always have on hand from now on.

For those of you interested in smoking pipes, I made a mistake in spending more on pipes than I did on my tobacco (which still isn't all that expensive even for nicer stuff). Grab some cheap as hell Missouri Meerschaum pipes and just go hog wild on an ounce or two here and there on whatever you can find that sounds interesting, and good tobacco is so worth it over cheap stuff. The easiest way to tell is "if you're pulling stems from your tobacco, it's not the nicer stuff".

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ophidian posted:

Yerandy is upset at you

lol he can be, I gotta save money!

Boswell has such a wealth of accessories and tobaccos outside of their own excellent blends, that I really just need to make a habit of checking there first.

Relatedly: first bowl of Plum Pudding by Seattle Pipe Club in a few weeks and I just have no idea how it gets better every time.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Stonehenge Flake is really good. Regarding topping strength, it’s closer to Ennerdale than St. Bruno, which is a strong positive.

The base blend is really good too. Really dark and rich. The topping reminds me of a creamsicle, so combined with the rich and somewhat spicy base, it’s making a strong impression on bowl 1.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve done the reverse with plenty of Cuban cigars, I imagine if you’re ordering from a single massive shop like Smoking Pipes you’re probably in good shape.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m gonna guess is my Rattray’s Dark Reign 120 - I generally prefer straight, short pipes.

I was camping last weekend and will be every weekend but one this month too set up my wedding reception at the camp. I reached for my Ennerdale, and had forgotten that very pipe above - my Lakeland pipe. Tragic. I’m sure as hell remembering it this weekend, though!

Snagged the last Haut 10 from my local Binny’s. I’m out to Dallas tomorrow and back on Wednesday for one more day before going back to camp. I’m alright with living out of my suitcase, but going from a high of 48 to a high of 87 in 3 days is tough on the body. Never mind that we’re just letting it rip COVID wise. Can’t let a few million dead bodies get in the way of midterms!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m not the only one!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had a L’Atelier Cote d’Ore 2017 last night and jiminy Jesus it is excellent:

It’s like if Pete Johnson made a Padron 1926 maduro with the Sancti Spiritus wrapper. Just stupendous stuff.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Every time I look at picking up more banded CC’s, I think about grabbing some Vegueros and I never do.

My belated wedding reception is at the end of the month and I’ve been stocking up like a fiend. 50 Yerandy BHK54s for the event smoke for whoever wants one, most of a box remains of LAT54s, a Fuente OpusX 13, Rose of Sharon lanceros are getting in today along with 5 Yerandy maduro genios, and I’m fixing to snag another Garcia y Garcia Super Toro and my very first Tatuaje Clos L’Eglise. My GOAT the La Aurora 2017 Hors d’Ages is coming out as well - I’ve only got 5 left!

Gonna smoke like I never have before for that honeymoon.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Yerandy maduro genios are out of control ROTT - already giving Padron maduro 1964 series a run for its money. I’m real excited to crack into my next one in a few weeks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Had another maduro genio last night, and even just a few days in the humidor made a huge difference. It has a much more classical Cuban profile but with the volume turned up to 11 - can’t wait to try my next one this upcoming weekend.

I am having some Plum Pudding in a pipe I don’t use often - it’s unfiltered and I generally smoke with a 9mm filter. The more intense flavor is fabulous. I don’t miss the errant flakes or dottle, so I may try a Peterson or Falcon system pipe over the summer. I’m really interested in trying my Lakeland stuff unfiltered.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I found an unused 9mm reducer and it’s a little tight, but this Ennerdale is very good. Two bowls into today and I’m already starting to feel the tongue bite creep up on me, though.

It’s good stuff though! It’s nice having reinvigorated enthusiasm for pipe smoking.

I hadn’t thought about third party Falcon blocks, I have been interested in a meerschaum bowl lately though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Royal Yacht has been one of my favorites but I never had the original.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've been eyeing this for the last few years, and I finally picked one up:

It's a 9mm pipe reducer. I've been enjoying my charcoal filters, but I'm losing a lot of intensity flavors wise. I want the cooler smoke that filters give, but the 9mm to 3mm reducers get too wet for my liking. Can't wait to post a trip report!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah it’s for pipes drilled for 9mm filters, so it goes where the filter would.

I don’t particularly like the 9mm to 3mm reducers because they don’t do anything about the heat which causes tongue bite. This cools down the smoke and prevents dottle from getting into the bowl.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Peterson Early Morning Pipe loving RULES. It’s maybe the first pipe tobacco I’ve loved with coffee. All those Dunhill blends have been great, I can’t imagine people’s panic when Dunhill got out of the game.

I also picked up Hearth and Home Marquee El Niño, which reminds me a lot of Galloping Gertie from Seattle Pipe Club - haven’t had it in a bit but I’ll adjust that this week.

Having a little midday herf with Doctor Medic, we’re having L’Atelier Cote d’Ore 2017s! They’re proper table legs and delicious.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’ll be here tomorrow, so hopefully well! I’m very excited to experience The Full Force of Royal Yacht. I’ve been breaking out the unfiltered pipes the last few days and still hate dottle. Hopefully it’ll be the best of both worlds!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yes, but they might not be any good. I used to buy tubes with a filter and a little crank machine with nice, bulk cigarette tobacco. That was fun if unwieldy to support a 1.5PAD habit.

A lot of pipe tobacco has flavorings and additives that might be extra not good for you.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My mail never came today, so my Tsuge Kulu should be here tomorrow, despite making it to the post office yesterday :negative:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

lol at some point between my walk and the tornado the mailman came! Gonna break it in with Ennerdale soon.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yooooooo this owns. It’s exactly what I wanted.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

More in depth information on the Tsuge Kulu 9mm filter replacement:

This is not a miracle accessory, and I have tongue bite like a motherfucker right now, which has much to do with how I had been smoking before this arrived.

This has fit great in 3 of my pipes, and there's only one I think it might *not* fit into, but it's kinda short. Poking through the reviews, it's recommended to clean it up between smokes. I've been putting it in a quick vodka bath and hitting it with a bottle brush between bowls, which is probably overkill but I would rather dial back than crank up :v:

This is a substantially cooled down smoking experience compared to unfiltered. I really like the look of nosewarmers more than I do longer pipes, so that's very nice. I'm considering measuring the total added length to the smoke's travel distance out of curiosity.

It's been great discovering how much of the flavor I've been missing on some of these smokes, and I've a few tobaccos I want to come back around to. I really enjoyd Stonehenge Flake - it's like a spiced orange dreamsicle. Ennerdale was my first go with this thing, and it was a great delight. A lot of the darker, spicier flavors are really showing through now which I suppose were getting caught up in my filters.

I'm having some after-lunch Royal Yacht right now, and this is just *stupendous.* Sweet, chewy, peppery, and a nice nicotine fizz about my entire mouth.

I'll be getting in with some English and Balkan blends tonight - I think that's going to be a real treat!

It's not magic, though - I do get some occasional dottle, but it gathers at the mouthward side of the filter, so it's a much shorter trip for the pipe cleaner to tidy that up. It DOES, however, fix my most hated part of unfiltered smoking: getting snacks on those opening toots. I hate getting tobacco flakes in my mouth.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Absolutely! I’m very excited to go back through everything I have on hand. Plum Pudding was such a delight with this setup.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I deleted an entire sentence about how excited I am to try a Falcon! Inshallah we’ll be recovered from wedding soon enough to justify new pipes. I even had a Brigham bookmarked, I’m real curious about that rock maple insert…

That yellow one is GLORIOUS

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I used this for a grip with a little machine that injected tobacco into filtered tubes:

https://4noggins.com/products/peter-stokkebye-norwegian-shag-150g

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah Habanos SA realigned all their prices and IT loving sucks. Since we’ve been ordering Yerandy custom rolls on the discord, I haven’t missed banded Cubans at all. He does some pretty impressive stuff. I think we have another Eirlien on the discord you might be able to split orders with >_>

Perfect Cigar Blend has a pretty insane promo running this weekend. I think I’ve converted quite a few folks to L’Atelier the last 3 months, and this is a banger deal especially with the 20% off discount code HV6CSW3E

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

E: gonna pm
EE: Ishamael do you have PMs?

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 25, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’s a good thing NC cigars got good because there are a lot more bad Fuentes than good ones at the price point I’m smoking at.

Bone Crusher toro from the Tatuaje Black sampler tonight:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah! I’m running low on mine, I gotta get more.

I spotted some aged out of production L’Atelier sticks - El Suelo and Trocadero. They’re bundle sticks and at $60-70/20 I had to try it. They’ll be in Monday but I won’t get to smoke them until Thursday since I’m traveling for work :negative:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m traveling so I packed my Missouri meerschaum hardwood pipes and these things are just delightful. The Medico filters are quite nice as well.

Yesterday was a bit of a bum day for cigars, I had a La Antiguedad and a DPG Cuban Classic. The first of which was not very good, the latter was adequate. I haven’t had them before, so at least I know now!

I did have a My Father Vegas Cubanas the other day that was really great - nailed that Monte pencil shavings flavor it was lots of fun.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

How else do you describe it????

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I love Presbyterian, I haven’t had it in a minute - I found it to be more Balkan like if that gives you a fresh keyword! Rainer Levant is one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hahaha holy poo poo that rules!

I’m super enjoying a bowl of Boswell Northwoods tonight. I’m also getting more Missouri meerschaum pipes. I’ve been smoking the Heck out of them lately.