Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've grabbed a pair of My Father Le Bijou torpedoes for my spouse and myself, thanks thread!

Chicagoons, how are y'all looking on your vaccination schedule? I just got my first today, so mid-May meetup at Up Down could be quite fun!

E: that Le Bijou was fabulous! Really great tangerine, floral, and perfume flavored without any acridness. Super duper smoking those more often.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gentlemen, I have something I'm very excited about tonight! The Curivari Buenaventura LCA exclusive. It's called "Trail Mix" and the secondary band has pictures of pine, nuts, orange, and vanilla. I can't wait to tuck in:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That LCA stick was really something else. It's really not anything like a Buenaventura, but it's a recognizable label so I don't blame them.

It was straight medium, maybe a touch on the heavier side. The flavors are even more subdued than the Le Bijou, but also different. The trail mix name is spot on. Even the pine notes were really well balanced. The nuts were great, too. Finished with a smoky flavor with a creamy texture.

Do recommend, I might go grab a fiver since there are only a few left.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah! Very excited, and hopefully my Habanos well get here in time for it to get to me.

I had a Tatuaje Capa Especial Lonsdale Limited Edition today and that is very good. Rather spicy, very delicious. I think I prefer that Curivari I picked up along with it, though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I have had like one Liga Privada, I think it was a No. 9, and never really thought they were worth buying at that price point. I have, however, been seeing some Papas Fritas and Nasty Fritas 50 cabs at reasonable prices, so I snagged a Papa Frita from my local Binny's (gobbless da Binny's).

I do remember that Nica Rusticas more or less gave me what I was getting out of LPs, but I think those LPs were perhaps not kept in the best condition. This has much more of that Habanos sea breeze. In fact, if I were blindfolded I might actually mistake this for a Cuban. At least at first. It's turning sweet, peppery, and sublimely spicy at the end.

I'm not a Drew Estate fanboy by any means - I don't think I've ever really sought out their cigars, and their president's steeze is quite far from mine, but I think I will be picking up a 50 cab of these Papas Fritas:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

At long loving last my Habanos tracking has updated! They're being sorted through New York's ISC right now, which is kind of a bummer because even pre-COVID it had a rep for taking the longest out of places it could hit entry to the US.

My little CNC machine has arrived this week. I've ordered a new router bit and collet for it, so hopefully I'll be getting around to making some cigar accessories soon! I even got a little more work coming up this weekend which may get put into rounding out the humidor further still.

I'm so psyched for this order. Partagas Shorts, JLP Cazadores, and Bolivar Petite Coronas are no joke of a haul! Too bad I'll have to let them sit a month or something before they're where they should be, but I can muster the patience. Hopefully they'll get in before the box gets to me before my turn on the pass

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's hardly gramps mode if it's a new day, yeah?

Stimulus check finally came through! I bought a 50 cab of Liga Privada Papas Fritas, even paid the Illinois tax so I could get a box from Binny's already humidified.

So glad I did! The price is much better online, but it won't have to hang out in the humidor for a month to be ready to smoke. I'm really pleased to have that injection of variety in the humidor.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I would love to make the pass a regular thing! I think something I had wanted to include in the box won't quite be ready by the time it gets to me, and I don't want to bogart it 😹

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah those black labels are stupendous.

I don't really change anything up with a closed foot. I'll toast a little longer to make sure I've got an even start, but that's about it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

They finally fuckin came!

I, obviously, have pulled a Bolivar PC to smoke right off the truck. We'll see how effective those little Boveda packs were.

Box dates are great, too. Latest one is from June 2019, so these boys might need a little rest but otherwise are fuckin ready.

The humidor is extremely powerful right now. Hopefully those LAdC Rothschildes are going to be ready this Friday, it'll have been a few weeks since they got here.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'll pick up a fiver of those, you've got me too curious!

I opened the humidor after my drive back from work and good Lord it smells like a nice walk-in humidor when I open the door. This is what it's supposed to be like!!

Looks like I gotta make my replacement humidor drawers this weekend so I can fit them all in properly.

Illusione Rothschild was dry boxing all day, and it's a real spicy, funky winner. Papa Frita on tap for later on in the night after I shower.

Bolivar PC was quite promising last night - can't wait for them to really come into their own.

I hope y'all are having just as lovely a smoking week as I am!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hahaha holy poo poo my mailman just stopped by asking if we like cigars because he could smell them, he dropped off a Macanudo Cafe and Jose L Piedra Cazador. I passed him some Partagas Shorts and Bolivar PCs to trade.

LOVELY! I may invite him to Chicago events since he's chill 😹

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Had a Macanudo Hampton Court Cafe, which my mailman gifted me.

I really enjoyed it. Very grassy, then some delightful cream and a little ramping piquance right at the end. I may keep an eye out for those, and I'll keep them in mind for when those Jose L Piedras are ready, because it was really reminding me of those.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Happy birthday Gramps! Sounds like you did the gently caress out of it right!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh hell yeah I've been curious about those. Another on the list!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I believe I'm next on the list, no dice yet!

Partagas aren't ready yet, but they're still tasty.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That thing rules! I'm really excited to get into more metal forming activities one day. Sheet metal is so versatile.

Had a LAdC Rothschild last night, and it's soooooo close to ready. Hopefully not more than another week or two. I'll have to buy another box sooner than later to keep a good rotation going. Probably the same for the Curivari Buenaventuras.

Anyone pick up anything new to them lately? I think the Bolivar PCs, which are still getting ready, and the Papas Fritas I've been smoking near daily for a week and change are my only ones.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The box has arrived! VERY excited to take my turn. Cheers, friends!

E: holy poo poo dudes. Much higher rollers contributing than me!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 24, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The posts!

The overall split - I pulled on the left, traded in the middle, and added on the right for postage.

That's a La Aurora 115th, La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No. 4, Partagas Short, and Stradivarius.

There are some incredible sticks in there that I don't think I'll ever have adequate trade fodder for. Gobbless Kenning and all you beautiful smokers. I'll send it in the morning!

Worthy of a double post imo

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I couldn't help myself and lit up that Rose of Sharon lancero this morning and it whips.

Super fragrant with enough creamy body to keep it from being overwhelming. I'm pairing it with a few cups of different Earl Greys and it's marvelous.

Y'all are a super special crew, I'm already looking forward to the next box pass which will hopefully include some gifts from me to everyone in it!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The H. Upmann Regalia is firmly one of my favorite cigars period, very psyched to see another thread person enjoying it. It's such a good time every time*

* Terms and conditions apply, purchase a PerfecDraw if you have not

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The box is on its way home!

I pulled out one of those Perdomo Champagne Puritos and that was a very good, mellow morning smoke. I think that's another Kenning special?

It feels like it's been dragging a bit on those LAdC Rothschildes, I'm tempted to have another to see if they're ready yet >_>

Cracking into a Jose L Piedra Cazador for lunch, and I'm really psyched about that! Hopefully that mixed filler will have acclimated by now.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Welcome fellow Chicagoan!

I've got a bunch of my thoughts on Cubans in the OP, but I'll also say that you're not missing a ton. If we get a meetup going after vaccination, I'll bring some sticks to share to introduce you!

I could talk your ear off, but if you're in town, two places to check out are Up Down Cigar and Hubbard and State. The entire crew at Up Down are fantastic and know their stuff. Ross at Hubbard and State mans the shop regularly and has a fantastic nose for folks' tastes.

If you're looking for recs, what kinds of flavors and intensity are you interested in?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm in the north suburbs but good to know if I venture down into the city proper. As for flavors and intensity - I dunno? Hit me with some variety and I'll see what I do and don't like I guess.

I see! If you're around Skokie, Big Mike's has a pretty decent selection.

There are all kinds of blends and locations that impact intensity, but I think I might have a handful of smokes that won't lead you wrong as far as being exemplars of their place in the ecosystem.

First, I'm a massive My Father fan. I think they do a lot of really incredible stuff, and it all leans medium-full and on the spicier side. I'd recommend checking out one of their blue labels. It's like right in the middle of all their different varieties, and if you like one thing or another that it's doing, you can usually find more of it in another blend they make. For example, they have a great cereal chewiness to them, and if you want more of that, the Centurion will do it. More spice? Check out Flor de Las Antillas.

For something a little more middle of the road, try a maduro Padron 2000 or Londres. They're decidedly more old school blends, but that's another avenue of smokes you might enjoy!

On the lighter side, a La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire in corona is my hot pick. They're more commonly found in the premium double figurado vitola, but if you can find the corona it's a fantastic deal.

There's so much variety out there, it's hard to choose. I think these are solid choices that don't go too hard on anything, but can reveal a hint of what's out there.

E: for Habanos on a budget, definitely check out the ones I mentioned in the OP, see if anyone will do fivers or singles.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 27, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Test on the ashtray finally happened! I was thinking the cigar might sit a little low, but I like it the way it is. We'll see if it gets problematically full of ash!

E: it is plywood full Home Cheapo, and there are other issues that will get solved later on

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Good on ya for owning it, can't wait to hear the trip reports!

Got my second vaccine dose today today, having a La Aurora 115th Belicoso to celebrate. Really can't wait to get that Hors d'Ages Stravaganza next month!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There was a box pass and hopefully that'll be a regular thing!

Rose of Sharon is a blend that's getting a lot of love. I think the Bolivar PC might low key be the thread favorite cigar.

Turns out a bunch of us are in Chicago, so if you're there, wet might pull a get together this summer.

E: ashtray finally getting used as a pipe rest and it is

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 1, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Never heard of them, would be interested to hear about them, though!

My Bolivar PCs are ready and the one I'm having right now is fabulous. I think they'll be even better with time. Just really thrilled about it.

E: this reminds me of the regular My Father Centurion, not the H-2K-CT, but the standards. It makes me want to pick some up to compare.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 2, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ophidian, you're extremely dangerous for my wallet. I love it.

Partagas Shorts are also smoking dreamily. I'm more deliberately dry boxing, and it's making a world of difference in my humidor that's been on the wetter side. I'll have to see if I can snag an LE noellas jar to dry box in or something.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I might could jump on a box split with y'all in the summer - there are a few sticks that are normally out of my price range for a full box that I'd love to have on hand, and the Mag 46 looks pretty tempting.

Gotta travel for work for the first time this month, so I'm making sure to keep my budget a little more open.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm definitely checking out that northwoods!

Is there a thread opinion on Camacho? I believe they're a Davidoff brand. I don't generally spring for Davidoff at the price point and the branding is eh, but the price looks pretty good for Camacho.

Reason I ask is because I'm enjoying the Ashton LAdC and San Cristobal a lot more than I enjoy Ashton mainlines, but there's a strong chance that's just Garcia magic 😹

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Excellent! The Ecuador looks real interesting to me, but it looks like the Connecticut is the must-try of the bunch.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks for the heads up! I'll check out some fivers - good on Eiroa for getting a payout and then keep doing what he wanted to do.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Incredible box pass recap

Hell yeah! I couldn't believe my eyes and being last to send it back home was wild. I could hardly believe my eyes when I opened it up.

As far as the Stradivarius goes, that's a General Cigar limited release that came out a good while ago. Those wrappers are aged 15 years, IIRC and retailed for like $35. It's been knocking around in my humidor for a good couple of years, and I never felt particularly driven to smoke it and thought it might find a good new home!

I couldn't find a decent review of it anywhere, so hopefully someone here will contribute one if they take it 😉

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My friends, I think the La Aroma de Cuba Rothschild might be the best everyday smoke out there. The price is stupid ($74/20 at Atlantic Cigar), the vitola is firmly a robusto at 5" x 50, and the flavor is exceptional. Salty, chocolatey, complex. It's a lot of cigar for not a lot of money, and it's in regular production. Truly a blessed smoke.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If you make an Atlantic account, the displayed prices are lower 😉

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm strongly considering it myself as well. I should, but if you pull the trigger first let me know how pricing looks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My spouse and I just joined Costco yesterday, so I'm pretty much ready to fully sink into dadhood joining another cost savings club for cigars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

drat, do you think package forwarding service might be worth it?

I'm going to be in beautiful Appleton, WI for work all next week. I'm gonna bring a mess of sticks with me since I'll be camping that weekend as well, but I see that there's a cute looking shop just down the street from my hotel.

Looking forward to finding what pairs best with cheese curds!