Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I have some of Hamlets custom rolls from his time working in Cuba. I should dig into a few of them but they are all huge smokes including his “flying pig” which is supposedly a 3.5 hour smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve had it for 8 years and I still haven’t smoked it. 3 hours is also kind of hard to come by these days :(

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Dry your sticks out a little before you smoke them. I usually throw whatever in smoking/planning on smoking for the day in a dry cigar box in the AM and smoke it in the evening. Seems to help a little bit but I also keep my sticks a little drier anyway.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I had to pitch an 01 r&j churchill. It was good for about 15 minutes then turned bland as hell. Replaced it with a Diplomatico Espana RE which is better.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Nondescript Van posted:

It is probably just me but the two master blends 3 robustos I've smoked (the second an hour ago) have kicked my rear end. Even after a full meal I start to really feel it halfway through.

Nap time is nice though.

Try drinking more water and a slightly sugary drink.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
1964 corona size is the loving best padron.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve always preferred the 64s over the 26s even the anniversary editions.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I always had the following:
RASS
PLPC
R&J Cazzadores
R&J short Churchill’s
HDM petite robusto
Hupman half Coronas

No matter what those were always in my humidor.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The PSD4 is an ok cigar. I have never been a. Huge fan of partagas to be honest, except the 898s and even those I would put behind a lot of other cigars.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
That looks like a Hamlet flying pig, just smaller.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m personally only smoking expensive/vintage stuff because it’s all I have left. I’m trying not to spend any money on cigar until I run out. My favorite cheap sticks have always been PLPC and I used to get them for 4$/ea

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m smoking a Ramon allones celestino fino from one of the first boxes of cigars I bought in 2010. It’s my last one and it sucks that it’s my last one.

Such a good, underrated regional smoke.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Buy new tobacco?
I rarely have success rehydrating anything that has gotten VERY dry.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Cigar night!
I’ve narrowed down my choices to
ERDM CUBA EL
hupman petite corona
PL Monte Carlo
Santos custom toro from... who even knows this point.

I think I’m going to go with the Santos because I have the time for it and if it sucks I can pitch it and be happy with any of the other ones I’m bringing with me.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Yeah all Cubans (the only thing I have left after I sold off/gave away my big collection a bunch of years ago).

I ended up pitching the Santos custom as it tasted like sour leather. Fired up the ERDM Cuba Re and it was as good as every other one I had previous. Bummed it’s my last one but I promised I would finish what I have left before even looking at buying boxes again.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
In my experience it makes no difference.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve never found the opus x to be worth the price of admission. The Anejos that come out once a year we’re always really nice but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy a ton of them.

I feel you get way more bang for your buck with the padron 64/26 and the Ashton VSG/ESG line.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
CONGRATS NFM!

We closed on our house today and while I’d love to celebrate that probably won’t happen until next week.

The plan is some dry aged ribeyes and finished with the Cohiba lancero from the diplomatic humidor I’ve been sitting on since 2013 or so.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Most “bloom” is white mold that can simply be brushed off unless it’s invading the foot.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I met a neighbor today who informed me they smoke cigars and drink beer once a week on our block.

I think I moved to the right place.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

NewFatMike posted:

I generally try to avoid knockoffs of Habanos, and Fonseca No. 1s are super delicious. Tragically, I suffer from a disease known as "being an enormous sucker."

My local B&M just got these:

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/my-father-made-fonseca-shipping-next-week

A little pricier than I like to keep it, but again. I'm a loving mark.

My father anything is going to be good. This is like a restaurant under new ownership and the new owner is a well renowned chef.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Cooler is the ultimate cigar investment.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
That’s really expensive for 20 Cubans, especially the ones you are looking at trying.

If you want a sampler, see what people on the onlinehumidor forums are selling and buy a few singlets or 5 packs. I’ve had a lot of good luck there and the stuff is already in the states so you aren’t waiting a while for it.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
VSG = best Ashton. The ESG is subjectively better but not for the price difference.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have to work the next 14 days straight. I apologize for any lack of content this may cause.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
.edu

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The biggest cigar I have but haven’t smoked is a Punch Italian regional.

This guy:
https://halfwheel.com/punch-diademas-extra-re-italy/9610/

And a few of the montecristo A which are 9.2 x 47.

Some day I’ll find 3-4 hours for one of them.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I still have my Corona lighter I just need a flint and fluid

https://www.cigarmanor.com/collections/im-corona-lighter/products/im-corona-double-corona-barley-chrome-vertical-lines-gold-wheel

It’s basically this but all stainless.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I cut all the foam out of my old oasis and filled it with heartfelt beads. I still needed a ton of extra beads for my fridge

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I had a Cohiba Lancero from the diplomatic gift humidor queued up to celebrate my first house purchase last night.

My son had other plans for me and wouldn’t go to bed until 9pm so I settled for an “ok” h upman petite corona. It was just good so I was kind of bummed but at least I didn’t rush a cigar I’ve been saving for 7 years.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I need to try some of these el centurions in the corona size.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve always found “who wants to do a box split” then taking it to email/PM works best.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Kenning posted:

I'll say, I suspect my buddies and I would be down to go in on some Cubans if you're ordering.

Also, I get the thing about having a bunch of cigars you no longer want to smoke. I've got some Gurkhas sitting around that I'm definitely not going to smoke, but I haven't had the heart to throw out. I think I do just need to ditch them though, there's no way I'm going to choose one of those over a Leaf or anything My Father, or Diesel or a Nub.

I gave my bags of random cigars (it was a garbage bag full) to my cousin and uncle.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Kenning posted:

I can't think of anyone I'm ambivalent enough about to give some lovely cigars to, alas.

These were not lovely cigars. I just stopped smoking non Cuban cigars and I offered them up to people who I knew would appreciate them.

Liga privadas, padron anniversarios, TONS of champagnes etc. there were some dog rockets on there but anything they didn’t want they didn’t smoke.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
If you are going to volunteer to buy boxes be prepped to eat the entire cost if someone decides to back out/poo poo happens.

When I ran splits I would only offer to buy enough stuff I was willing to take on by myself unless someone offered to throw cash down first.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
No they are not

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The digger is a monster. I don’t think I would be able to take one on with my lack of nicotine tolerance.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have to work this Saturday but Sunday and Monday I’ll be doing dad stuff with my kids. I have to find some time to BBQ as well but I’m not sure what to cook yet.

Maybe a cigar if I can get an hour or two at night.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The padron anniversario arengenerally worth the price of admission.

I’ve spent 25+ on some Cuban regionals/EL which were worth it. Specifically these:

https://halfwheel.com/bolivar-armonia-er-china-2008/102788/

I paid 30$/ea for these in the early 2010s and they are still my favorite Cuban cigars. I have two left and I need to smoke them soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
When I was going through my boxes for unpacking the house I found my Hotel National humidor from Cuba a goon (sorry if I forgot who) got me on their trip to Cuba. I loving love this ashtray.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 5, 2020