Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
It’s going to be in the 50s tonight AKA smoking weather. Not sure what I’m going to jump into as I have a big back log of stuff but I’m leaning towards something on the really heavy side.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I went with a “monsdale” custom roll I bought a bundle of way back when. It didn’t age well at all so I pitched it and fired up a Juan Lopez Seleccion #1.

Solid so far.

I can’t think of any other cigar it reminds me of.

E: it was fantastic. Need more.

So glad I got a sampler with 15 cigars I either haven’t had or haven’t had in years.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 8, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Because small ring gauges are not nearly as popular in the US. They haven’t been for a long time by all accounts.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m trying to think if I want to brave the low 50s tonight for a cigar. Work leading up to a vacation ha been a lot so I could use the quiet time but I’m also exhausted.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I went with a monte 4 last night and I’m glad I did. For a cigar I avoided for years I’m surprised at how much I enjoy them.

My go tos used to be RASS, BPC And RJ short Churchill’s. Now I’m fixated on Mag 46, monte 4 and… still the short Churchill’s.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
My cousin gave me a bunch of EL/RE including the RA 898 regional so I need to get to some of those this week. I think the 898 is getting smoked first because the original 898 was a big favorite of mine.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I had a R&J ex 4 last night as part of that sampler I got. I was pretty impressed with it and I’ll snag a 5er of more so I can see if I want to commit to a box/split at some point.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I was considering a Monte A later but I can’t keep up with this.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
You have inspired me to smoke one of the 9” cigars in my cooler. I think I’m going to start with the sancho panza sanchos. I have to save the Monte A to smoke with my cousin who also has been holding on to one of them.

This will be done this weekend provided the weather holds up.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I cracked a mag46 from the ‘19 box I picked up a few weeks ago. Goddamn it was good

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
One of the cylinders in my car started misfiring as I was driving my youngin’ over to my parents house today so after the kids get to bed I’m going to fire up a Cazzadores and try to forget about getting that addressed.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Damnit I need to try some of the Rose of Sharon’s. Time to hover over cigar bid I guess.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
What kind of burn issue were you having with the QDO?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

DerekSmartymans posted:

Also, anybody got any recommendations for Cuban cigars? I want to get him a box for Father’s Day, but don’t have the budget for Cohibas. I’ve not tried a non-American brand for years, so new medium smokes would be great, but I do know coming from European sellers there is a premium as well as shipping.

HUP mag 46 perfect in every way IMO. Fresh ones are smoking well IME.

Bolivar PC for a petite corona size

HDM petite robusto for a nub size.

R&J short Churchill’s for robusto size

R&j Cazzadores for lonsdale

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The best humidification device is more cigars :V

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
How else are you going to make room for more?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

zuffenphile posted:

My main goto smoke, all around one of the best sticks on the market....

I’m trying real hard not to blow through this box. I have so much stuff from ‘01-‘12 to get through but it’s hard not to just grab one.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoking an epicure 1. I used to prefer these over the epi 2 but I’m not sure now. It took 1/3 to really get going and I could have gotten right into it with the epi 2. This warrants further investigation.

Delicious either way and a nice lighter stick vs all the medium + sticks I’ve been smoking recently.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I learned everything other than how to cut and light a cigar from the old thread. Good stuff all around.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I had my last ‘16 RASS from a cab last night. It was a good stick but I think I’m just kind of over RASS’ in general. I find myself reaching for so many other things before considering a RASS when it used to be my #1 go to.

Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
You can also just use some Tupperware with a gas seal and put that in the humidor :v:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
There are some solid deal on ihavs right now. My cousin and I are splitting two boxes ea of the RG panatelas extra and Partagas petite corona esp.

160 dollars for 50 sticks is A+ rad territory

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m leaning towards a 2015 Ramon Allones RE or a mag 46. UFC 263 tonight after the kids go to bed is the plan.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoking my second to last boli China RE.

12 years clean today so I figured it was a good day for the cigar. Just as good as the last one I had… 7 years ago? It’s been a while.

This was always my number 1 of all time so I’m curious to see how it holds up.

E: the mdo2 are better IMO. But this would be second best to date.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 16, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Just made my first order in YEARS:

2x25 partagas petite corona especialle
2x25 RG panatelas extra
2x15 HDM epi 1 tubos
1x10 PL Galanes

Splitting with my cousin but that should help me good for a while :)

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Any of y’all need some lighters?

https://slickdeals.net/f/15096076-s...=latest_for_you

E: my Father’s Day smoke is going to me an 02/04 Monte A (can’t remember the date on it as I’ve had it for 8 years or so). It’s a gigantic cigar so hopefully I can get all my chores done and the kids in bed by 945.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 21, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Broke out another mag46 from the box I split with my cousin.

I can’t say anything I haven’t said before: go deep on Mag 46s while you can.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m having a fun time trying to find some (5) larger CCs for an event in two weeks. Anyone want to help a buddy out :3

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Thank you.
I finally got it sorted (a guy had some RA gigantes) but it’s appreciated.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
My Epicure no 1 order showed up today from COH. Ordered 6/22 arrived 7/1. I inspected both boxes (samples from each three pack) they are all free of mold and have dark oily wrappers. July 2020 box code.

Going to be hard to stay away from them.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
After a day of uncapped rest in my cooler and a few hours in the dry box I fired up the ugliest epi1 I could find.

It’s got a great draw, decent burn and a hell of a lot of flavor for a mild/medium stick. I can tell it’s a little young (feb 2020 box date) but I’m very happy with it so far.

If you are looking for a great corona extra in the medium strength band grab a 2x15 of these from COH. They were under 10/stick when I bought them on special and I got them in about 10 days from initial shipment (I’ll split a 2 box with someone). sale is over :(

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 3, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I was going through my posts in here to see if I mentioned any sticks I no longer have but said I was looking for.

The punch coronations tubos popped up and it looks like my US based guy has a box of them for cheap. Guess I’m buying my… fifth box in a month.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Ihavs has LGC MDO4 in stock (they have been unavailable for almost two years).

Sold out.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 6, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
285 dollars is insanity for them though. BACK IN MY DAY…

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I still have the empty box of winnies in my garage box date 09 :(
I miss them terribly

That being said the prices are just going up so you may as well just buy it now while you can. It’s not like Cubans lose vale as they age.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Has anyone tried the QDO 50s. I have a line on a box that’s very reasonable but I didn’t want to buy before I talked to a few people about them.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Lyon posted:

I got a box not too long ago and the couple I sampled seem to be pretty good even though they are a bit young and still ROTT.

The box I can get is from DEC 18 but I’m hesitant to spent almost cohiba robusto prices for something I haven’t had before.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 18, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Lyon posted:

I paid $245 on special at ihav but they had a 2020 box date. I wouldn’t pay Cohiba prices for them but I don’t even think Cohiba is worth Cohiba prices.

Did you buy a box of 25? This is a box of 10 and it’s 160 shipped

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Grandito posted:

Or is it just the brands trying to give an easy entry point to try and build some loyalty?

It’s pretty much this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have a few boxes showing up tomorrow which is great (2019 RG Panatelas extra, 2020 partagas corona especialies, 2020 mag 46, 5x 2020 PL galnes)

I’ve been smoking a lot of different sticks over the past few weeks:
2020 epi 1 - I’ve had two from the 3x5 I got a few weeks ago and they are smoking great already
2020 punch coronations tubos - I can’t stop smoking these. They are a great, stronger PC with a very different flavor profile than I’m used to with most CCs
2019 mag 46 - my other go to stick. I’ve burned through a lot which is why I bought another box. I still consider these the best CC right now and I’ll probably buy another box before the year is out.
2019 RA Gigantes - I think other than the RAS, it’s the best regular production RA out there right now.
2004? Montecristo A - probably the best montecristo I’ve ever had other than the sublime.